Juggling to 5K

Dizz

I'm halfway into my C25K app, and have a race picked out for May 31. I'm doing good, but have a hard time staying on schedule due to work... I work 12-15 hour days, 4 days a week. I run on my days off.  I've been losing a lb a week since I started the program and plan to keep it up.

On Sundays, I juggle with the local club. It is a upper body work out for sure! Lots of throwing things and picking them up.  My skills are skyrocketing lately and I'm jazzed about that.  End of April I'm going to a Flow Retreat to attend workshops to improve skills, but mainly catch up with friends and family.

I've been eating clean for the most part, if I have a carb heavy meal,. I balance it with a protein heavy one or two. One night, I had a plate of tilapia. Yum! 

Financially, I'm building up my savings for cushion and then I'll start paying heavy on my considerable debt. My goal is total payoff in 2 years. It's feasible. 

Not going to set stats for this one, except for CON. I'm increasing my general health and endurance. ...oh and DEX, juggly skills!!!!

3club.jpg

• Like 2

Level 9 Tiefling Ranger/Scout

STR 9 DEX 16 CON 15 INT 10 WIS 13

Current challenge

Mordor: Hobbiton -> Rivendell (238/458 miles)

Water advice  Join the Circus!

Glad to see you back! You shouldn't have too much trouble keeping all these balls in the air I expect. ;)

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Nice balanced plan.

Just a thought about the finance bit: interest on debt is usually a *lot* higher than interest on savings so it would almost certainly be better to work on the debt first, starting with whatever has the highest interest. In a way, the paid-off debt functions as a kind of cushion since you have the emergency option of dipping back into that capacity in a crisis, although best not to I'd you can help it.

Then when you no longer have the burden of forking over a big chunk of your wages to a credit company every month (and OMG what a nice feeling that is!) you'll be in a better position to save.

I'm not a financial advisor of course, so feel free to ignore me, but that's my totally ignorant view on the subject.

• Like 1

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Thanks... as far as the savings, I meant a base for my checking so I don't go in the hole. Already coming in handy. I have dental work due. Don't want to charge it.

But yes... working on filing the hole before I build a mountain

• Like 1

Current challenge

Juggling is way awesome. And those pins look like a great upper body workout. I want details of cool new things mastered!

Did a new route along a river park. It was really pretty. Lots of lizards dodging me, quail crossing my path, little finches bouncing around the flowering Palo Verdes.  Loved it.  I chose to start going uphill to make the return trip easier.  I PRed in distance and speed, did 2 miles in 30 minutes. I am definitely doing this route again. 

This afternoon I'm juggling. Plan to work on several skills that I am finally starting to nail. To clarify, I juggle in 2 ways, classic 3 club toss and 1 ball contact juggling.  Jugglers have often told me that CJ is the more difficult skill. It's the one I identify with and the tricks are more varied. 

Tricks to work on today: Behind the neck rolls, reversing chest rolls, elbow stalls, 3 club cascade. There is always something new to learn or perfect.  

chest roll is where a ball rolls up one arm, across the chest and down the other arm... reversing means it's coming back the way it came before it gets to the other arm.

Current challenge

Tricks to work on today: Behind the neck rolls, reversing chest rolls, elbow stalls, 3 club cascade. There is always something new to learn or perfect.  

chest roll is where a ball rolls up one arm, across the chest and down the other arm... reversing means it's coming back the way it came before it gets to the other arm.

So, is contact juggling basically "using non-hand-body-parts to direct where the balls/pins/whatever-you're-juggling goes, in a repeated and controlled pattern"? Because, awesome!

Congratulations! May 31 is a good amount of time to prep—only 7 weeks!—so that's time to finish off the C25K program and add a bit of training for good measure, or to absorb any unexpected events that may arise.

I did it... I signed up for my first 5K race!!!  May 31... There is one sooner, but waiting to see if I'm ready.

Eeeeeep!    http://www.azroadrunners.org/races/detail/mmd

YAY! That's awesome! That certainly looks like it's going to be a lot of fun! They're planning a lot of stuff after the race too! You're going to have such a blast. :) I know you'll be ready for it!

"No power in the 'verse can stop me."

Current Challenge: Stooshie is a Leaf on the Wind

Past Challenges: The road goes ever, ever on!

The run was brutal today! 2 runs of 8 minutes instead of the 3 runs of 5 last time. This is C25K week 5.

Thursday is a straight run of 20 minutes with no walking. :/ I hope I can do it. This seems like a steep increase in difficulty. Beginning of week 6 goes the same way, with longer runs each day.

My legs already are sore after today's run.

• Like 1

Current challenge

Ok.. I think  you are just super cool!  I am loving the determination you have for your running!  I did not know what contact juggling was until I saw the video.  Actually, I did know what it was, I just didn't know what it was called.  I was always fascinated at how Jareth was able to manipulate the crystal balls in Labyrinth.  Awesome!

• Like 1

Sore legs are nature's way of telling you you're doing it right. You'll be fine on Thursday. It's only another 4 minutes in all. You've got this!

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

The run was brutal today! 2 runs of 8 minutes instead of the 3 runs of 5 last time. This is C25K week 5.

Thursday is a straight run of 20 minutes with no walking. :/ I hope I can do it. This seems like a steep increase in difficulty. Beginning of week 6 goes the same way, with longer runs each day.

My legs already are sore after today's run.

This week definitely is a steep increase in difficulty. The advice that I received from one of the trainers at my gym (who has legit running expertise): Relax, don't worry about speed, and breathe as easily as you can. All of that is easier said than done, but if you focus on getting the 20 done without worrying about pace or anything else, you'll find that your toughest mental challenge is done--when you can do 20 minutes, jumping up to 22 minutes is hardly anything, and the subsequent jumps won't be nearly as enormous as this one is.

In short: You can do this!

• Like 2

You can do it, Dizz! Ytterbium is definitely right in saying that this one is the hardest challenge. Just focus, pace yourself and breathe. I know you can do it! Don't try to get it done super fast. The other additions from here out will be easier. You can get through this one!

"No power in the 'verse can stop me."

Current Challenge: Stooshie is a Leaf on the Wind

Past Challenges: The road goes ever, ever on!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines