Circus every damn day (Thatgirljj)

thatgirljj

Helloooooo fellow assassins!  Onwards & upwards...  or upsidedownwards.  Or something.

Backstory for the uninitiated: 

I am a 40 year old recreational circus athlete & aerialist.  Yes, I am a completely ridiculous, quixotic chimera, and I don't care.  It's super freaking fun.  I will be coming up on 5 years of circus training this summer, it has totally changed my life.  Last year at about this time, I was in a minor car accident that gave me a moderate case of whiplash and I couldn't lift my arms over my head... obviously, for a circusy person, this was a biiiiiiig freaking problem.  After 8 weeks of PT (which I attacked like a lion), I was cleared to get back in the air, weak as a kitten.  Since that time, I've shifted my circus training to be more oriented around disciplines & apparatuses (apparati?) that are more strength and stability focused.  I have a lot of natural flexibility, but was lacking in stability.  Before my accident I was training my natural flexibility, now I'm really training for strength.

Epic Quest: Be circus awesome! 

Goal #1: Circus every damn day.  In particular, handstands or handstand cartwheels nearly every day, and other training when I need to give my wrists or forearms a rest.  Last challenge, I started getting a new trick that I hadn't even expected when we got a new handstand coach.  Cartwheeling into a handstand is my first actual handstand trick, it's really good for learning lateral stability in my handstands, and most importantly, it's REALLY fun to train.  This challenge I want to focus some daily practice on it... this can look like practicing my regular cartwheels, like practicing regular handstands or like practicing the cartwheel handstands.  Things to work on are getting my lower body UP and straight (no piked handstands), getting more consistent at holding the balance in the middle, and pushing off strongly to complete the cartwheel rather than just randomly kicking my legs down.  Days on which I do aerial training, I can skip the handstand training or do it... whatever I feel like.  If my wrists & forearms are giving me problems, I can count a day of stretching my splits as training.  Also, on the advice of my coach, I'm adding a couple minutes of alignment drills on the floor to my daily training.

Goal #2: Keep following the consistent training schedule that's been behind my gains in the last challenge.  I've got something that seems to be working, don't change it.  This looks like:

2 days of circus tricks training with coaches (hand balancing and straps).

2 days of conditioning based on the GMB P1 program.

2 days of lifting in the gym.

[sometimes 1 day of aerial yoga combined with a conditioning or lifting day.]

1 day of full rest or going for a gentle hike.

I want to also put some focus into adjusting the P1 rest day work (the warm up & cool down) to something I will actually do every day.  

Goal #3: Pretty legs.  So back in November I got diagnosed with a bone spur & arthritis in my toe.  This means that I can no longer do the occasional dance class to work on my lines and movement, since I can't go into releve AT ALL.  I've been putting some thought into how to work on this without having joint pain and foot cramps.  I've hit upon the concept of floor barre... however, I'm actually going to need to learn it, since it's not offered any place that's accessible to me right now.  I have the NYCB workout DVD which has a super short floor barre segment and I'd like to try doing that twice a week... I also got another DVD directed at actual ballerinas and that's going to take some watching a learning before I can start working off that.  And there's at least one book out on the topic as well.  So basically, try the super short floor barre segment 2x a week and spend some time educating myself on the topic.  

Goal #4: Better engagement with the NF Assassin community.  This has 2 parts:

A ) Find 2 new (to me) assassins to be inspired by.  The assassin community is HUGE and I'm often overwhelmed by it.  I've got my few people who I check in on and like to hear about their progress (even if I don't always have anything to say), but I'm ready to find some new amazing, interesting folks.

B ) Write up what's going on with me about food and eating.  I've been pretty reticent to tell this story since I'm still working through some stuff, but it's made me really reluctant to engage with people for whom eating habits are a major part of their challenge.  It's time for me to start talking more openly about it, since it's been a huge evolution over the last year.

Bonus, non goal thing that I'm doing that I might talk about even though it's not a goal and will take several challenges: I am working on a project to landscape a large portion of my backyard with native California plants.  We moved last year and now live on a 0.75 acre lot with a hill.  A hill that is slowly sliding downward.  The hill needs to be stabilized... we have someone to help with the placement and installation of the retaining walls at the bottom, but the hill itself needs plants with strong root systems to hold in the soil better.  I'm starting a landscape design workshop to do the planning and will probably do at least some of the planting in the next few months  (be on the lookout for some major landscaping goals in the fall).   Landscape design is surprisingly geeky and doing the actual landscaping is a surprisingly good workout.  

Also, I have a very nerdy surprise coming up in this challenge, but you'll have to wait.   :playful:

• Like 2

NF: Treedwelling assasin. Druidish leanings. Gnome.  

IRL: Amateur circus geek.  Mad cook. Mom. Mad Max junkie. 

Your challenge looks super fun! I'm in love with circus things it looks like it's a good workout and a good laugh at the same time. I'm not sure what you mean with a handstand cartwheel. Can you explain? Because I'm working on handstands and I'm saving any crazy progression that crosses my path to practice someday.. :)

Upsidedownward! Hope you talk about your landscape goal. We have a hill in our backyard that seems to be slowly sliding downward. I just sort of looked at it and ran back up the hill and decided to deal with it "later" :redface-new: And of course. love the circus stuff

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Your challenge looks super fun! I'm in love with circus things it looks like it's a good workout and a good laugh at the same time. I'm not sure what you mean with a handstand cartwheel. Can you explain? Because I'm working on handstands and I'm saving any crazy progression that crosses my path to practice someday.. :)

It's when you pause at the top of cartwheel, hold a handstand, and then complete the cartwheel out.  

It pretty much takes controlling your momentum into the cartwheel (because you have to get all the way up, but not with so much momentum that you can't hold at the top), stabilizing into the handstand, and then pushing away and outward with the trailing hand to complete the cartwheel out of the handstand. 

Ooh nerdy surprise! What is it? What is it? :D

I'll never tell.  For real.  I won't.  It will ruin the fun.  

Upsidedownward! Hope you talk about your landscape goal. We have a hill in our backyard that seems to be slowly sliding downward. I just sort of looked at it and ran back up the hill and decided to deal with it "later" :redface-new: And of course. love the circus stuff

Haa haa... Well, I'll keep you posted even if it's not on my challenge thread.  I'm sure the "later" makes you nervous, just as it makes me nervous.  We had >4" of rain in 4 days last month and it resulted in a minor mudslide into our side yard.  It had dissipated once it reached the house, but I dug it out and the deepest part of the mud was about 4"-6" deep.  Given that forecasters are talking about an El Nino next winter that is pretty darn scary.  

• Like 1

Wow, how did I not notice last challenge the awesome you've been getting up? I'm excited to watch your progress, especially the handstand variations and your weights work. I'm glad you've been able to keep going even after the accident last year - that must take considerable motivation/discipline!

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

That cartwheel into handstand looks cool! :D

Level 1 - assassin

STR: 3, DEX: 2, STA: 2, CON: 2, WIS: 3, CHA: 3

Current Challenge: maenumania learns the secrets of spiderman

Battle Log: We are the hero of our story!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Challenge Archive: #1 - Let's kill those rats and spider!

Where other men blindly follow the truth, remember nothing is true.
Where other men are limited, by morality or law, remember everything is permitted.
We work in the dark to serve the light. We are the Assassins.

Following for awesome upside-down-ness! That landscaping non-goal sounds like a big project - good luck!

Yay... it's Aeryn!!!  :-D

Wow, how did I not notice last challenge the awesome you've been getting up? I'm excited to watch your progress, especially the handstand variations and your weights work. I'm glad you've been able to keep going even after the accident last year - that must take considerable motivation/discipline!

Because last challenge I did not plan to be awesome.  It just crept up on me.  

Thing was, when I was coming back from the accident, I was super engaged here on NF (that was when Wolfie was around too and he had rehabbed after some really major stuff).  I got very focused on getting back where I was and it was hugely helpful... but it did change my focus some.  

I dig your fourth goal especially. So many awesome assassins out there, so little time. 

IKR?

As always, I love your challenge and am totally jealous of the cartwheel into handstand. Not to pressure you or anything, but I've had the toe bone spur surgery, and it's really a trivial surgery with minimal recovery time. In my case at least, everything was so much better after the surgery. If you're finding that the toe issues are really limiting you, you may want to look into some treatments.

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

oh! Cartwheel handstands look like fun! How did you take your first steps into this movement? Did you have both components nailed and just work on the stall at the top?

I have a very solid cartwheel & roundoff (grade school gymnastics), at least on my good side.  You people don't want to see my bad side cartwheel.  However, I don't have a freestanding handstand.  I can hold near the wall pretty well, but I need the wall to adjust into position.  I can't reliably kick up into a handstand, maybe 1/10 of the time I get a few seconds of balance.  I think the reason that cartwheeling into it works for me is that I have a solid feel of how to get my hips and legs up over my torso in the cartwheel... so it's more a matter of controlling the momentum.  Also, I tend to like the wide leg handstand position for initial balance, it takes the place of tapping my feet on the wall... but pulling my legs together is obviously something I'd like to work on.    

That cartwheel into handstand... that is so awesome! I hope I can do that by the time i'm 40 :)

Do some handstands.  Do some cartwheels.  See if it comes together.  :-)

As always, I love your challenge and am totally jealous of the cartwheel into handstand. Not to pressure you or anything, but I've had the toe bone spur surgery, and it's really a trivial surgery with minimal recovery time. In my case at least, everything was so much better after the surgery. If you're finding that the toe issues are really limiting you, you may want to look into some treatments.

Well, here's the thing... I talked to my podiatrist and he's really doubtful that my insurance will pay for it.  The problem is, it doesn't look like very much on the X-ray.  In reality, it does restrict the movement of the joint a lot, but no one comes out from your insurance company and looks at your foot, they review your X-rays.  So I'm going to have to wait until it gets worse to have it removed.  :-(    In the meantime, I'm trying to work around it as best as I can... the orthotics cut my pain by maybe 75%, and I can hold plank again, I just have to drop to my knees for push-ups or anything else where the joint would need to resist movement.  But dance classes are pretty much out until I can manage to have the spur removed, I simply can't go up into releve.

Ok... a couple of great days of training...

Monday - Our handstand teacher was back on a break from touring.  He's in town for less than a week and he still comes to train us... seriously, we love that guy.  It wasn't a major breakthrough session or anything, I kept getting into handstands where I had my hand positioning a little off, so there were some struggles, but it wasn't bad either.  He really drilled me on the handstand forward rolls which is helpful because I have so much fear when doing those.  I also got some really weird connection between my hip flexor tightness and some tightness in the same side shoulder, which I'm going to need to figure out... I think there's some foam rolling in my future around that issue.  

Today - So my school is having a casual recital in a couple weeks, I took the chance to do a private with my straps instructor and see if we could work something out.  I've been doing a lot of conditioning, a lot of work on fundamental skills, not a lot of work on flowy stuff or tricks.  It was fun, although I'm still halfway inclined to bow out of the recital, but we'll see... it's probably going to be a group piece with a couple of classmates, so I'm hoping we can workout something fun.  It was certainly a kick ass training session, although I'm pissed that I had repeated problems with a trick I used to have (grrrrr.)  Here's a clip...

Not sure how I'm going to handle my supplemental training schedule, we'll see if I have the energy to do a minimal GMB workout this evening.  

I second KB girl's question, it looks dizzy making! But it looks so easy and graceful for you to get into that split. Very beautiful!

Also, your handstand teacher is great, very dedicated to his students <3 

Damn girl!

That looks so easy but I couldn't do that, I would fall on the mat after 5 turns because of the dizziness...

:nightmare:

Level 1 - assassin

STR: 3, DEX: 2, STA: 2, CON: 2, WIS: 3, CHA: 3

Current Challenge: maenumania learns the secrets of spiderman

Battle Log: We are the hero of our story!

Challenge Archive: #1 - Let's kill those rats and spider!

Where other men blindly follow the truth, remember nothing is true.
Where other men are limited, by morality or law, remember everything is permitted.
We work in the dark to serve the light. We are the Assassins.

It may not have been what you wanted, but it looked pretty, you make it all look so graceful

Yeah, the whole training session wasn't as strong as I would have liked to be, but that little movement segment was very nice.  I was glad I happened to tape it or I would be more cranky overall.

Also, your handstand teacher is great, very dedicated to his students <3 

He is.  He's a total badass and we love him.  He does partner balancing with the director/owner of our school, so he's been around since day one.  He loves to train and he loves to see his students advance and his enthusiasm is awesome.  

Damn girl!

That looks so easy but I couldn't do that, I would fall on the mat after 5 turns because of the dizziness...

:nightmare:

It actually was fairly easy to do static.  That's why I was a little mopey about training because I felt like I could just do the easy stuff.  

The spinning however, that's another story.  I work a lot on single point apparatuses because I like to spin & orbit.  I have an inner ear disorder that can cause crippling vertigo attacks, so I have a bit of a sick relationship with the dizziness.  On the one hand, it's very different to trigger the dizzies when they're in my control... and on the other hand, experiencing it in a controlled way helps me not be so extremely anxious about the attacks.  So yeah, it makes me dizzy and I'm pretty much like "bring it on" when it happens.  All that being said... it takes a lot of getting used to.  And even now that I've conditioned my vestibular system to not freak out, if I go a couple weeks without spinning then I have to train it back again.  I couldn't eat for about 2 or 3 hours after training yesterday because of the queasiness.  

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines