Circus every damn day (Thatgirljj)

thatgirljj

Ok, today I'm having a case of the crankies.  It's just a bad parenting night, and I think instead of doing my GMB workout I'm going to put a mask on my face and take a warm bath and just not deal with anything right now.  Handstands first because they will cheer me up, but other than that I just need a break.   Bleeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh....

Oooh, nice! I wish my split was that good. And look at your pretty pointed toes!

Heh... the toes are actually easier to point in the straps because it pulls up on the back of your foot at the achilleus tendon, you almost have to point... I mean I could consiously flex if I tried, but it would take effort.  

NF: Treedwelling assasin. Druidish leanings. Gnome.  

IRL: Amateur circus geek.  Mad cook. Mom. Mad Max junkie. 

I'm jealous of your lovely, spinning split.  It looks so impressive!

Ok, today I'm having a case of the crankies.  It's just a bad parenting night, and I think instead of doing my GMB workout I'm going to put a mask on my face and take a warm bath and just not deal with anything right now. 

We all have those bad parenting days.  I have days where I feel like I yell at my kids non-stop, and I'm ready to hand them off to the gypsies.  I hope you managed to relax a bit, take your bath, and shake it all off. 

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Hey! I just noticed that you haven't signed up the guild form. :(

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1scdu8yMffc4-roz5twnonx8BHuvUsVpYN4uskgc4MAQ/viewform

It only takes a few seconds, promise! Good luck with your challenge!

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

Hullo, hullo!!!

First of all... I have been a good guild citizen and signed up!  I even decided to list myself in the phonebook in ways that could be helpful to people!  So yeah... if you want advice on splits or stretching (or even stretching your splits) let me know... because even if it isn't in my current challenge... hey... I know how to do that and can be useful.

OK, so basically after my last post my weekend went downhill.  Nothing really bad, just a lot of poor fueling choices that left me cranky as all shit through Monday.  Note to self: It is not a good idea to walk out of a challenging aerial class into a kids party and only eat beer & cake.  That's going to make you hate yourself about 2 hours later.  Eat some real food already, lady!  And then we had easter which was a whole ton of fun (100 eggs hidden for 4 kids!), but again, I didn't eat well.  So I've been feeling cranky for a little while.  Monday I was a smart girl, I make myself a big pot of congee (chinese rice porridge) from scratch to eat for lunch, it's one of those foods that just makes me feel good... it's tasty and really filling and kept me out of the easter candy till my kid ate it all.   Plus I planned all our dinners for the week, so we have good solid healthy food in the fridge.  Feeling better after a few days of that.

Before I get to a goals update, Monday night handstands report.  Monday's class we had one of the newer teachers who teaches acro as well as handstands and it was SOOOOO fun.  We worked on pirouettes, and walks and the "Valdez" which literally none of us could get.  I can't take acro because it's the only class that makes me feel older than I am, I wake up the next day and every joint in my body aches.  Doing  more active handstand stuff is awesome for me, it's no impact, but still all the fun-ness.  I'm currently at a sticking point because I was thinking of switching out my Monday handstand class for straps because I'm frustrated at my slow progress on straps, but OTOH handstands is so fun.  I wish I had the budget to get a sitter for one of the days my husband has kung fu so I could take 2 straps classes & handstands... but that's not in the cards until we get our roof fixed.   :neglected:

Goal report:

#1 Circus every damn day - I skipped handstands on Sunday because easter candy gave me a headache, but otherwise, I've done  a class, cartwheel handstands/stalls or stretched my splits every day.  

#2 Training schedule - I skipped both my paralettes workouts last week (5/7) and did everything else as planned, including my rest day.  This week I've done 3/3 days of my training schedule including both weights & paralettes.  Today I actually had a kick ass weight session, stretched my oversplits, AND got in a good 15 minutes straight of handstand training in the cardio room at the muggle gym.  That was pretty darn nice.  

#3 Floor Barre - Last week I did one day of previewing the DVD.  This week I'm going to look through it a little more and hopefully do the NYCB floor barre section 1 day.  

#4 Follow more assassins - Last week I was able to do a little bit of exploring for new folks.  This week is probably not great for that, but hopefully I can nose around more next week.

And finally... sorry if I go a little silent for a few days, I'm going through all my son's stuff for a kids consignment sale, so I'm going to be pretty busy sorting and washing and tagging.  I'll be back after that.

Well since you offered... I was going to do PNF stretching for my splits. But I can't seem to figure out how that works with the deep lunge. How do I activate that muscle on my back leg where the hip is? I can't figure it out at all, and I so want to get deeper in my deep lunge! That's the part that really holds my split back. My front leg is way more flexibile in comparison.

I'm sorry to hear you felt bad, bad food can make you feel bad. :( But lesson learned I suppose! And it's a while before the next candy holiday!

Take all the time you need washing and tagging <3

Ah.  Tight hip flexors & weak "downstairs butt".  This is something I struggle with a lot too.  Even when I have a split, it's the sticky part... my hamstring attachments are loose, so the front leg is no problem, but the hip flexor on the back leg just won't stretch.

The first thing I would suggest when you're in that deep lunge position is a tip from my stretching coach Kristina Nekyia, think of your hip bones as motorcycle handle bars and rev them... that is slightly tip your pelvis so that the front of your pelvic bone comes upward and your butt slightly tucks under.  That should pretty much give you the activation in those muscles on the front of your hip for PNF type stretching.  

How far are you from the ground right now?

Oh, I get what you mean! I am very far from the ground now. If you look at the spoiler in my first post you can see where I was at at the start of the challenge, I might be a bit lower now but not that much. 

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/46652-lilith-the-chubby-kitten-and-the-garden-of-challenges/

Easter time is rough for good diet choices when you're a parent.  There's just too darned much candy around. 

I really wish I knew what the best solution is for good childcare vs. adult exercise classes.  My husband and I can't really go climbing at any of the really nice, big gyms due to childcare issues, and it's also one of the reasons we ended up stopping with the martial arts.  We're fortunate in that our regular gym has both a daycare center and a decent (if small-ish) climbing wall, but it's still tough.  It's a shame that they don't offer a kids tumbling class at your gym at the same time as some of the more popular aerials classes, so you could get your workout in while your son is doing his own activity. 

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Oh, I get what you mean! I am very far from the ground now. If you look at the spoiler in my first post you can see where I was at at the start of the challenge, I might be a bit lower now but not that much. 

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/46652-lilith-the-chubby-kitten-and-the-garden-of-challenges/

Ok, you're at a good place to work a lot on opening up your hip flexors, and on straightening the front leg.  Do you have yoga blocks?  You might want to put your hands up on yoga blocks so you can stack your shoulders over your hips more... that automatically puts a lot more stretch on the hip flexor.  (P.S. your bridge looks very nice!)

Easter time is rough for good diet choices when you're a parent.  There's just too darned much candy around. 

I really wish I knew what the best solution is for good childcare vs. adult exercise classes.  My husband and I can't really go climbing at any of the really nice, big gyms due to childcare issues, and it's also one of the reasons we ended up stopping with the martial arts.  We're fortunate in that our regular gym has both a daycare center and a decent (if small-ish) climbing wall, but it's still tough.  It's a shame that they don't offer a kids tumbling class at your gym at the same time as some of the more popular aerials classes, so you could get your workout in while your son is doing his own activity. 

It's a the point now, that he's 6, I can sometimes have my friend's 12 year old watch him while I'm training, since she can make sure he's not getting into any trouble.  But that's dependent on her and her mom's training schedule, so it gets tricky.  Kids classes are out... during evening class times all the gym space is booked for classes.  Children's classes are in the late afternoon, and don't start till age 9 anyway.  

And I totally know what you mean about the gym with a daycare center and just OK facilities.  I'm in the same boat at my regular gym.  They've got an awesome daycare set-up, but the facilities are just ho-hum (no pullup bar that's reachable for women, there's no place to stretch if cardio classes are in session, etc..).

How goes?

Goes well!  I finally finished all the hanging and bagging and tagging for the kids consignment sale, so all I have to do now is wait for the check to come in.  Yay!  That was a bit of a monkey on my back, but it's so nice to clear stuff out.  And speaking of clearing out, I cleaned my office because...

wait for it...

we're getting...

a second...

KITTY!!!!!

So, that's going on.  He just got fixed this afternoon and so his foster mom is bringing him by on Thursday after he's healed up a bit.

OK, now I get to go get caught up with what all y'all are doing!  :-D

• Like 1

Ok, you're at a good place to work a lot on opening up your hip flexors, and on straightening the front leg.  Do you have yoga blocks?  You might want to put your hands up on yoga blocks so you can stack your shoulders over your hips more... that automatically puts a lot more stretch on the hip flexor.  (P.S. your bridge looks very nice!)

wait for it...

we're getting...

a second...

KITTY!!!!!

So, that's going on.  He just got fixed this afternoon and so his foster mom is bringing him by on Thursday after he's healed up a bit.

OK, now I get to go get caught up with what all y'all are doing!  :-D

That's good advice! I don't have yoga blocks but I have those little... stools? That I use to reach the high shelves in the kitchen. I use those and it works well! Thanks for the compliment too!

I demand pictures of the kitten. For science. 

It's the science of love and aww. I'm a bit ill and they may cure me instantly! As a medical researcher I'm always on the lookout for new cures for various illnesses so... For science! :D 

OK.... before I get back to squeee kitty squeeee,(or, an actual substantive challenge update), at the beginning of the challenge I promised you a very nerdy surprise.  So here it is....

So I got to be in the Star Wars Mos Eisley Cantina!  I even did a handstand there!

Here's the story, back in March, I got a message from a friend of mine who's an art director for a local magazine and he was casting for extras.  Turns out it wasn't one of his projects, but it was a Star Wars project for a friend.  LucasFilm/Disney was doing some fan produced video work for May the Fourth and they needed some extras for the Cantina scene.  They had the whole interior in a soundstage up the street from my house.  My friend couldn't do it, so I went over solo and spent a whole Sunday in costume as a Crocker/Saurin.  I walked in and the costume director cast me immediately, because I'm short and shaped like the original actor.   :peaceful:   They were shooting a handful of videos that week in the Cantina, I was in Corey Vidal's one... he's the guy that did that a capella tribute to John Williams a few years back (don't know if you remember it, but I did).  

This is Corey's video, that I'm in.  

The other really funny one that they shot later in the week is from College Humor (I'm not in this, but it totally cracked me up).

Honestly, I'm a huge costume geek, so the funnest part of it for me was getting to put on the mask and be a giant puppet.  Tom Spina Designs had all the masks from the original molds, and all the costumes and whatnot.  His team was awesome to work with and they have some great behind-the-scenes shots on their facebook.  

And... of course... I did a handstand in the costume....

jnh8Ihm.png

And finally, me with the mask...

xYUjJO5.png

So yeah... that was super cool... I did a handstand in the Mos Eisley Cantina!

• Like 1

That is super duper cool! So much fun you got to play in that video! It seems like the perfect world, you get to act a bit but you get to do it as someone entirely else (even if you play a character, they otherwise still see your face etc) and the masks are cute in a strange way haha!

OK... time for a mid-challenge update...

Circus every damn day goal - Week 1: 6/7, Week 2: 7/7, Week 3: 6/7.  Pretty pleased with my progress on this one.  I think they #1 key is that I picked something that is FUN, so I do it.  A lot.  And I have a fallback for the days when my wrists are toasted.  I really like having the chance to do extended handstand practice in the cardio room at my muggle gym.  It's been a great in-between workout that's not a full class, but not just throwing a couple handstands in my living room.  

Planned training schedule - Week 1: 5/7, Week 2: 6/7, Week 3: 6/7.  Been doing OK with this.  I've missed some workouts, but nothing major, I feel like I'm still moving forward.  In my weight lifting workouts I hit a new personal best (100lbs squat) last week, so that felt great.  The P-bars workouts I've skipped a few here & there.  I'm kinda thinking through where I want to go with the GMB stuff next... I may get back to progressing past just using it as conditioning.  

Floor Barre - I reviewed some of the DVD the first week, and I did one workout from the NYCB floor barre segment.  I think I'm going to drop learning some of the advanced stuff for now.  I found that DVD super crazy intimidating.  It's supposed to be the most beginner, but it's clearly for real dancers, and they have perfect 12 year old ballerinas demonstrating the exercises... I just found it overwheming and demoralizing (despite the excellent instruction).  I think I'm going to scale back my goal to just doing the NYCB floor barre 2x a week, and save the advanced stuff for when that workout gets way too easy.  

Following more assassins - despite my fairly limited time on NF (I'll explain at the end of this post), I'm doing an OK job of staying caught up with Lilith & iatetheyeti, as well as finding Aeryn on the forums again.  

Fun progress note on circus stuff... I fixed a problem on straps last night!  There's a fundamental straps trick called a roll-up.  It's epic.  It requires major strength.  And I have a hard time even working on it because the position of the strap on my right elbow causes SEARING pain down my ulnar nerve and into my hand.  It's really terrible.  Not dangerous.  Just super painful.  If I work on it regularly the pain would go down from SEARING to simply burning, but there was always nerve pain.  Well, last night I got the bright idea to tape my elbow.  BAM.... no pain.  A little discomfort from the compression of the tape and a little soreness, but it spread the pressure more broadly across the whole area, instead of directly on the nerve.  So now, instead of spending roll-up drill time just trying to burn out the nerve pain, I can actually work on roll-ups!

Life stuff: you know we bought a house last year.  Well, when we bought it we knew the roof needed work.  This week, we're replacing the roof.  Yeah.  That is freaking LOUD!!!  The roofers were here yesterday from 8am-7pm.  So... I am not very much on NF mostly because I can't concentrate on anything during the day... I'm just trying to get OUT of the house so I don't have to deal with it.  I'll spend some time catching up this evening, but yeah.  Less computer time.  More doing stuff somewhere that doesn't have men hammering over my head.

P.S. I feel absolutely horrible for my older cat.  She's still working on coming to terms with the kitten and the whole roofing racket has just made her super anxious.  She's hiding under the bed non-stop and won't eat.  I'm so glad the roofing business will be over by Friday.  Poor girl.

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines