Circus every damn day (Thatgirljj)

thatgirljj

Wow, good job on finding out how to eliminate the pain! Just a bit of elbow tape. Who would have thought? :D 

Awww, I'm sorry for your older cat too. :( Hope she will quickly feel better when the roofing stuff is done. :) And I hope that she is going to be friends with the new kitten!

There's a fundamental straps trick called a roll-up.  It's epic.  It requires major strength.  And I have a hard time even working on it because the position of the strap on my right elbow causes SEARING pain down my ulnar nerve and into my hand.  It's really terrible.  Not dangerous.  Just super painful.  If I work on it regularly the pain would go down from SEARING to simply burning, but there was always nerve pain. 

Haha yay circus? The things we go through... :D

Sorry about the cat. And you. Glad the roofers will be out soon.

People... this is what my GMB workouts are looking like right now.  I think progress is probably moot until such time as Ser Pounce (actual name: Bowie) gets a little more mature.  

• Like 3

NF: Treedwelling assasin. Druidish leanings. Gnome.  

IRL: Amateur circus geek.  Mad cook. Mom. Mad Max junkie. 

Hullo, hullo!!!

First of all... I have been a good guild citizen and signed up!  I even decided to list myself in the phonebook in ways that could be helpful to people!  So yeah... if you want advice on splits or stretching (or even stretching your splits) let me know... because even if it isn't in my current challenge... hey... I know how to do that and can be useful.

OK, so basically after my last post my weekend went downhill.  Nothing really bad, just a lot of poor fueling choices that left me cranky as all shit through Monday.  Note to self: It is not a good idea to walk out of a challenging aerial class into a kids party and only eat beer & cake.  That's going to make you hate yourself about 2 hours later.  Eat some real food already, lady!  And then we had easter which was a whole ton of fun (100 eggs hidden for 4 kids!), but again, I didn't eat well.  So I've been feeling cranky for a little while.  Monday I was a smart girl, I make myself a big pot of congee (chinese rice porridge) from scratch to eat for lunch, it's one of those foods that just makes me feel good... it's tasty and really filling and kept me out of the easter candy till my kid ate it all.   Plus I planned all our dinners for the week, so we have good solid healthy food in the fridge.  Feeling better after a few days of that.

Before I get to a goals update, Monday night handstands report.  Monday's class we had one of the newer teachers who teaches acro as well as handstands and it was SOOOOO fun.  We worked on pirouettes, and walks and the "Valdez" which literally none of us could get.  I can't take acro because it's the only class that makes me feel older than I am, I wake up the next day and every joint in my body aches.  Doing  more active handstand stuff is awesome for me, it's no impact, but still all the fun-ness.  I'm currently at a sticking point because I was thinking of switching out my Monday handstand class for straps because I'm frustrated at my slow progress on straps, but OTOH handstands is so fun.  I wish I had the budget to get a sitter for one of the days my husband has kung fu so I could take 2 straps classes & handstands... but that's not in the cards until we get our roof fixed.   :neglected:

Goal report:

#1 Circus every damn day - I skipped handstands on Sunday because easter candy gave me a headache, but otherwise, I've done  a class, cartwheel handstands/stalls or stretched my splits every day.  

#2 Training schedule - I skipped both my paralettes workouts last week (5/7) and did everything else as planned, including my rest day.  This week I've done 3/3 days of my training schedule including both weights & paralettes.  Today I actually had a kick ass weight session, stretched my oversplits, AND got in a good 15 minutes straight of handstand training in the cardio room at the muggle gym.  That was pretty darn nice.  

#3 Floor Barre - Last week I did one day of previewing the DVD.  This week I'm going to look through it a little more and hopefully do the NYCB floor barre section 1 day.  

#4 Follow more assassins - Last week I was able to do a little bit of exploring for new folks.  This week is probably not great for that, but hopefully I can nose around more next week.

And finally... sorry if I go a little silent for a few days, I'm going through all my son's stuff for a kids consignment sale, so I'm going to be pretty busy sorting and washing and tagging.  I'll be back after that.

Ahhhh.. you are too amazing!!! I wish I could take circus classes here but there is none anywhere near me =/

I would love some advice on stretching/stretching for splits. I currently cannot touch my toes (and from memory I don't think I've ever been able to), my hamstrings are very tight & I have no idea how to stretch them. However, my hip flexors are actually pretty good. I want to get flexible so badly!

Those cartwheel handstands are amazing! You're so awesome! :D

• Like 1

Egg, Level 1

Dragon, Adventurer

| STR 2 | DEX 0 | STA 1 | CON 0 | WIS 7 | CHA 0

1 2

Ahhhh.. you are too amazing!!! I wish I could take circus classes here but there is none anywhere near me =/

I would love some advice on stretching/stretching for splits. I currently cannot touch my toes (and from memory I don't think I've ever been able to), my hamstrings are very tight & I have no idea how to stretch them. However, my hip flexors are actually pretty good. I want to get flexible so badly!

Those cartwheel handstands are amazing! You're so awesome! :D

So first of all, most people are either loose in the hamstrings and tight in the hip flexors or tight in the hamstrings and loose in the hip flexors.  It's pretty normal not to be balanced in that (and also to have one side that's tighter than the other).  I'm naturally very loose in the hamstrings, so the advice I'm giving is general purpose stretching help. 

You'll probably want to start by spending some time hanging out in a pike stretch, the basic sit on the ground and touch your toes stretch.  See if you can release through your hips and extend forward from your lower back, rather than rounding, that gets a better stretch through the hamstrings.  You can also do a hanging pike stretch, where you bend over from standing.  One of the stretches I really like the most (because it gets into any stiffness that could be inhibiting your calves as well) is to take a split stance, shove the lowest side of a yoga block under the front foot and then lean down over the front leg (rest your hands on yoga blocks if needed).  

The best thing you can work on is a very basic PNF stretching approach, the hold and release.  Get into your stretch, relax a bit, don't push super deep, and then tense the muscle you're stretching, in this case your hamstring.  Slowly count to 5 and then release the muscle.   Do the 5-count/relax cycle a few times.   This should relax the muscle considerably and give you greater range of motion.  I'm currently healing some sort of annoyance in my right glute and I use this technique a few times a week and it's helped a ton.

Finally, stretch regularly (2-4 times a week) and be sure to spend enough time in each stretch, 30sec to 1 minute.  I see a lot of people going through the motions very quickly, every workout, and that's not going to help.   You need to spend some time on it to really make progress.  And I find it more helpful to stretch after a workout when I'm warm.

I'm sorry for your workout but actually not very sorry at all. How can you resist that little ball of love? :D

He is irresistable that's for sure.  But I'm not sure he's a ball of love as much as a ball of energy!

Cutest video ever!  He's so playful and adorable!

Great job so far this challenge!

I know, isn't he super cute?  :-)  Thanks!

You'll probably want to start by spending some time hanging out in a pike stretch, the basic sit on the ground and touch your toes stretch.  See if you can release through your hips and extend forward from your lower back, rather than rounding, that gets a better stretch through the hamstrings.  You can also do a hanging pike stretch, where you bend over from standing.  One of the stretches I really like the most (because it gets into any stiffness that could be inhibiting your calves as well) is to take a split stance, shove the lowest side of a yoga block under the front foot and then lean down over the front leg (rest your hands on yoga blocks if needed). 

Thanks for the tips!!! I'm having a hard time working out the yoga block one though? Is this standing?

Egg, Level 1

Dragon, Adventurer

1 2

Cutest video ever :) ever!

Did you really just call your gym a muggle gym because it's non-circus aka non-magic? Or am I simply reading too much HP and you really meant something else?

Glad you're now able to practice roll-ups :) a student of mine had the same type of problem with nerve pain which was fixed with a bit of tape.

I also watched the whole Star Wars video.. And while I thought the handstand in costume was great! I guess Star Wars is just not my kind of nerdstuff ;)

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl stomps on some frogs and goes to sleep (maybe)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Thanks for the tips!!! I'm having a hard time working out the yoga block one though? Is this standing?

Yeah, sorry, from standing take a step forward with one foot and wedge the yoga block under the ball of that front foot, then bend down and try to shift your weight to the forward foot.

Did you really just call your gym a muggle gym because it's non-circus aka non-magic? Or am I simply reading too much HP and you really meant something else?

Glad you're now able to practice roll-ups :) a student of mine had the same type of problem with nerve pain which was fixed with a bit of tape.

I also watched the whole Star Wars video.. And while I thought the handstand in costume was great! I guess Star Wars is just not my kind of nerdstuff ;)

Oh yes, I picked up "muggle gym" from tumblr, and it's my new favorite term.  As in "I get stares when I stretch my splits at the muggle gym."   :playful:  It's not so much that it's non-magic, as much as everyone else there is muggles and they get confused by me.  

That Star Wars video is kinda... well, there are a lot of in-jokes in the Corey Vidal one.  It's a fan thing.  The band auditions one is pretty universally cute though... loved Lisa Loeb & Weird Al.  

• Like 1

Yeah, sorry, from standing take a step forward with one foot and wedge the yoga block under the ball of that front foot, then bend down and try to shift your weight to the forward foot.

Thank you :)

Egg, Level 1

Dragon, Adventurer

1 2

Checking in...

Circus Every Damn Day goals:  So I took 3 days off from training last week.  There was just a lot going on with the roofers driving me crazy and starting my landscaping workshop and getting mildly sick for Mother's Day, plus I'm getting a bit of "iPhone thumb" and I'd rather rest than get tendonitis.  I'm fine about it, I've been doing pretty good overall, so I'm not too worried.  Today I worked a little on my kick up handstands in the gym, wasn't quite feeling the cartwheels today, but I did get one kick up to a solid balance without touching the wall, so that was good.

Straps last was productive.  We have another intermediate level woman who's doing class regularly now, and it's nice to be able to work with someone who's at my level and progresses at a similar pace.  Plus we're both learning a ton about how to spot properly. Last night we both made some good (but VERY minor) progress on spotted back planches.  Just getting the engagement to be able to come out of it... they are just an insane, full body exercise.  My glutes were hurting this morning and that's pretty much 100% back planche talking.  Also worked a bit on my false grip hangs and on roll-ups.  The elbow tape is really helping my roll-ups.

I've also found a new, totally awesome resource for prehab in gymnasts that I'm adapting parts of to deal with some of my weak spots.  The website is The Hybrid Perspective, and it's written by a gymnastics coach and physical therapist.  He's written some things on glute activation which are already helping my training, and I'm also doing some of the stuff from his post on high kneeling drills.  

Consistent training schedule:  Missed some this week, but within my tolerances for still doing OK. 

Pretty legs:  Did the NYCB floor barre section twice last week, so on schedule!

Follow more assassins:  Caught up a little bit with a few people's threads.  A little improvement is a positive in my book.

Loved your profile pic. I am take an aerial yoga class for the first time next Sunday. I have to travel two hours to get to the studio, but very excited. You make this stuff look easy! How long have you been doing the aerial stuff? Any tips for a first-timer?

I've been doing aerial work for 4.5 years.  So when I do aerial yoga, yeah, I make it look easy because there's years of training behind it.   :playful:  But an aerial yoga class is usually what I recommend for people who are curious about getting up in the air, but are intimidated by "circus classes" or scared of heights.  Usually, the level 1 classes are planned to be challenging but do-able.  You'll do fine.  Seriously, my mom took a class and she's 68.  Obviously, like any other yoga class, tell the teacher if you have any injuries or limitations.  Otherwise, trust the fabric and/or straps.  That's a hard thing for a lot of people, but they are made to take your weight.  And you might find yourself getting slightly dizzy, just put your feet down and pause for a bit.  If you like candied ginger or gingerale, that can be useful for the dizzies.  Oh and bring your camera or cameraphone and don't be afraid to ask if you can take a few pictures after class!   :peaceful:

• Like 1

Oh yes I love that website too so far! I'm not a gymnast but the info is still helpful! (I am learning how to do handstands, splits and I want to do cartwheels so I might be a hobby gymnast or something.) 

OK.... so big news here fellow assassins...

I did a roll up.  I did a DAMN ROLL UP!  This has been my holy grail trick on straps.  Now granted mine was the ugliest of ugly, I had horrible form in my elbows and I bruised & tore the skin off my upper arms doing it (in part because my form sucked).  But I did one!!!

Saturday's class was EPIC.  There were 4 of us who were lower/intermediate on straps, 3 of whom had never done a single roll-up and one who'd done only a handful, but never with her arms straight.  Our instructor did a different progression approach for the class, breaking it down into tiny portions of the movement, and doing a few rotations on each portion.  We just worked that one trick for the entire second half of class. By the end of the class, 2 of us had done our first roll-ups, 1 person did his first roll-up AND roll-down, and the student who had never done one with her arms straight got one with straight arms.  All 4 of us got the damn trick.  I am not shitting you, it was the most incredible class.  It was over 90 degrees in there, and we all spent the last half hour of the class cheering and clapping for each other as one after the other of us had first one, then another, then another breakthrough.  It was totally electric.  

And not only did I do my one (which I might not be able to repeat right away, and that's OK) but I was able to rock my butt up over my head from the same set up, multiple times.  Which means that's a piece of training that's totally repeatable, so even if I don't get another roll-up right away, then I'm working at a higher level in training for them.  And seriously, for me this all goes back to that breakthrough last week, that I need to tape my elbow to protect my ulnar nerve.  Huge, huge, huge stuff.

So here's what I mean about my butt over my head:

xGGmLcg.png

And here's some of the aftermath on my arms:
w8AgZFQ.png

And now that you're totally yucked out by my gross bruises, here's a kitty picture:
ZjoQysx.png
(The big kitty is doing a halfway decent job of tolerating the kitten.  Which is good since by kitten standards, the big cat's tail is the world's greatest kitten toy ever!  The kitten still gets swatted 3-4 times a day, but he gets swatted with good humor now.)

Oh... and before I forget... one of my hand balancing coaches has been sharing some tutorials on his youtube channel, check them out:  https://www.youtube.com/user/csilcox2/videos

OK... off to visit some people's threads.

So this is a rollup:

(And clearly this lady is a prodigy because the caption says it's her first roll up and her arms are stick straight and she wasn't even working at it.   :hopelessness: )

• Like 1

Nice work, especially because you can replicate the move! Don't be scared if it's not as easy as you expect next time you try as these things can come and go a little when you're learning them, but you know that you've made lots of progress when you've got a trick like this sorted :) 

• Like 1

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines