Primeval Kills Her Television

The Borg Queen

mash-star-on-super-bowls-smash-whatever-

Hey, it’s another challenge! I’m excited to be back and start over again.

The main thrust of this challenge will be: to maintain a fitness schedule post-marathon, but most importantly, to curb TV watching!

Races: I'll be running a marathon April 13th (tomorrow). Other races in my future are a 5 k on June 15th and another distance event, yet to be determined, sometime November-ish.

Goal 1: Run a little over 20 miles a week, or 130 total miles, including:

* 4 trail runs/six weeks

* 6 speed sessions/six weeks

Grading (3 part): Miles/130, Trail runs/4, Speed sessions/6

Goal 2: Bodyweight Strength: Complete 3 BW strength sessions a week, or 18 total, consisting of at least one leg/core day and one upper body/core day each week. Limit intense leg work for obvious reasons!

Grading = Total BW workouts/18

Goal 3: Eat primal. Avoid grains and refined sugar.

Grading = Pass/fail. Report deviations. Soft, I know, but I think it’s the thing to do with diet goals.

Goal 4: Limit Television

I have the TV on a lot. I mostly like it for background noise. I don’t usually pay very close attention to it, but sometimes I watch more than I’d like to admit.

I’d like to limit my TV consumption and see what happens to me. I expect it to be a very tough goal. In preparation, I have checked out many books and music CDs from the library to ease the transition. I've also stocked up on new podcasts. Any other recommendations? Please let me know.

A. Less than 3 hours/week

B. Between 3-5 hours/week

C. Between 5-8 hours/week

D, 8+ hours/week

• Like 3

Class and Profession: Level 23 Borg Queen 

Keeping up good habits post race is a tough one. You'll do great! :)

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Good. Luck tomorrow. I didn't realise you were off too. Both our Scout Ambassadors being outrageously awesome on the same day!

I'm loving the TV killing motif too.

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Good Luck Tomorrow-- I can't wait to hear your race report!

I love your goal of killing the television-- limiting TV (and other electronics) is an ongoing struggle for my household (mostly with my kiddos). I find that, rather than setting goals for my family to decrease TV time, I get better results from them if I instead focus on increasing other activities (time outside, walk dogs, work garden, go museum, whatever).

Below is your post-marathon dance of celebration:

(It is Elleme's fault for teaching me how to gif. And my own idiosyncrasy that I own every Rocky movie) :)

rocky-iii-beach-o.gif

• Like 1

Hope you had a fun run today!  :onthego:

Looking forward to catching up with you over the next couple of weeks, awesome woman. 

• Like 1

Race/Class: Level 4 Hiberno-Amazon Ranger

STR = 13, DEX =3, STA = 11, CON =8, WIS = 13 , CHA = 8

First challenge:late-but-willing-to-try/

Second challenge:clearing-a-path-to-greatness/

Third challenge:stronger and braver

Current challenge:tightening the screws

Keeping up good habits post race is a tough one. You'll do great! :)

Thank you!

Good. Luck tomorrow. I didn't realise you were off too. Both our Scout Ambassadors being outrageously awesome on the same day!

I'm loving the TV killing motif too.

Yeah, cause we're awesome :) Thank you.

That's a lot of running, kudos! =)

I'd love to support you this challenge.

Wonderful! I look forward to it :) I'll hunt down your thread for the same.

Good luck on your marathon!  Looks like a solid set of goals, you will do great :)

Thanks very much!

Good Luck Tomorrow-- I can't wait to hear your race report!

I love your goal of killing the television-- limiting TV (and other electronics) is an ongoing struggle for my household (mostly with my kiddos). I find that, rather than setting goals for my family to decrease TV time, I get better results from them if I instead focus on increasing other activities (time outside, walk dogs, work garden, go museum, whatever).

Below is your post-marathon dance of celebration:

(It is Elleme's fault for teaching me how to gif. And my own idiosyncrasy that I own every Rocky movie) :)

rocky-iii-beach-o.gif

What a great gif! I know, ell's created a bunch of gif monsters, lol. I thought about increasing other activities to naturally lessen TV time. But what I really want to do is go cold turkey.

Hope you had a fun run today!  :onthego:

Looking forward to catching up with you over the next couple of weeks, awesome woman. 

Hey, you're back! That's so exciting!!!!

• Like 1

MARATHON RACE REPORT

I don't really have anything to say. It was a perfect race. The sky was cloudless, the weather warm, the road flat, and the other racers highly amiable. The race was along a 25 mile bike path near some railroad tracks, mostly through the woods, with some small town sidewalk running at the beginning and end. I ran about 95% of it. Miles 22-24 were really hard and slow, which I think is common, but I felt strong about running the rest. Actually, miles 14-19 were the best, because there was a slight downhill, my gel had kicked in, and I was listening to the Gossip. My time was decent. I was expecting to run 11 minute miles, but I averaged 10:40, for a 4:39 marathon. Even though I feel like I did well, there is lots of room for improvement. I guess I'll just have to go back and race again next year. :)

• Like 6

Oh dear oh dear, it sounds like you are running much too fast. Please try and be slower than me next time! :playful:

Well done - and I'm glad it was a perfect race. It sounds idyllic. The Gossip are good running music - really crunchy sounds, and perfect for livening up a peaceful Sunday run in the sun. Yee-haa! Good job! 

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Congrats on a good race and on beating your anticipated pace!

Hey, that's poetry

:)

Thank you very much! I was not expecting to beat my pace at all. I actually thought I'd have to walk halfway. lol.

Oh dear oh dear, it sounds like you are running much too fast. Please try and be slower than me next time! :playful:

Well done - and I'm glad it was a perfect race. It sounds idyllic. The Gossip are good running music - really crunchy sounds, and perfect for livening up a peaceful Sunday run in the sun. Yee-haa! Good job! 

Thanks! I love running to the Gossip. I saved it until after the halfway point with the hope of getting some positive splits in. Have no idea if it worked.

Well done and what a poetic description! Here's to the next 'un!

Woot! Thanks!

Well done on the marathon! I'm really looking forward to seeing how your TV watching goals go. What podcasts have you been listening to?

Thanks! For podcasts, so many. TED radio hour, Bulletproof executive, Democracy Now!, Savage Lovecast, snap judgement, this american life, sometimes the Moth and the Paleo Runner. Those are just my top picks right now, and I occasionally listen to others. If I'm not writing or creating, I need to listen to something. Neeeeeeeed. What do you listen to?

Hi Primeval! You didn't think I would miss out on following your topic, right?!

I love your new goals! Will you explain me how you grade your goals though?

I didn't understand the miles/130 etc. :(

And.. yay for gifs! I'm happy to have made gif monsters.

1116.gif

Noice! For the grading scheme... tell me about it. I was just thinking the classic, x miles/130 x 100%, with traditional A, B, and C range. It's going to be more complicated than that for Goal 1, because there are three components. It is not as clear or concise as your grading scheme, but I do think it will keep me motivated, especially when I unveil the progress bars.

Great job on your race Primeval! That is really a great time. 

Good luck finding balance in your new Challenge/post race world. I'm excited to see how you get along this challenge!

Thank you!

Congrats on the race! Always a good idea to challenge yourself to be faster, better, stronger next year. =)

Yeah. I already want to do it again, like next weekend. lol

I'm already reconsidering my diet goal. We are really tight on money right now, and I don't want to eat factory farmed meat!!!!!!!!!!!! :( I might need to add beans to my diet, and just say that I'm going grain free, or gluten free, with no refined sugar. Or whatever. Maybe I'll just scratch the diet goal all together.

MARATHON RACE REPORT

I don't really have anything to say. It was a perfect race. The sky was cloudless, the weather warm, the road flat, and the other racers highly amiable. The race was along a 25 mile bike path near some railroad tracks, mostly through the woods, with some small town sidewalk running at the beginning and end. I ran about 95% of it. Miles 22-24 were really hard and slow, which I think is common, but I felt strong about running the rest. Actually, miles 14-19 were the best, because there was a slight downhill, my gel had kicked in, and I was listening to the Gossip. My time was decent. I was expecting to run 11 minute miles, but I averaged 10:40, for a 4:39 marathon. Even though I feel like I did well, there is lots of room for improvement. I guess I'll just have to go back and race again next year. :)

Congratulations! The idea that a marathon could be so quote-unquote easy is just amazing to me.

• Like 1

Good for you changing your goal to suit your current needs! You have to do what is sustainable.

And I suppose you COULD run your own marathon if you wanted to. ;) Make yourself a little medal and everything!

Pixie Ranger Drunk on Tea~ (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

I'm already reconsidering my diet goal. We are really tight on money right now, and I don't want to eat factory farmed meat!!!!!!!!!!!! :( I might need to add beans to my diet, and just say that I'm going grain free, or gluten free, with no refined sugar. Or whatever. Maybe I'll just scratch the diet goal all together.

i have this problem too. I seem to almost religiously follow sales on meat for the good stuff, 

Invest in a hunting license and a freezer?

STRENGTH (0) | DEXTERITY (-1) | CONSTITUTION (1) | WISDOM (3) | INTELLIGENCE (3) | CHARISMA (2)

Syren  -- Chaotic Good -- Human Druish Ranger -- Current Challenge -- Battle Log

I love that you are killing the TV! We cut our cable a long time ago, but I still watch about a show a day on Hulu. I listen to a ton of podcasts, too!

Have you tried Stuff You Missed in History Class? What platform do you use to listen to podcasts on? I'm enjoying the Stitcher app on my Kindle Fire, but there are a few podcasts that aren't available on Stitcher, so I listen to a few on my computer (in iTunes). I think I've at least checked out most of the podcasts you listen to. 

Good luck with your goals!

Bera

Bera

Challenge Number: 1; 1.5

Good for you changing your goal to suit your current needs! You have to do what is sustainable.

And I suppose you COULD run your own marathon if you wanted to. ;) Make yourself a little medal and everything!

Not a bad idea. Those metals are what it's all for ;)

i have this problem too. I seem to almost religiously follow sales on meat for the good stuff, 

Invest in a hunting license and a freezer?

Actually, an excellent idea... but I have 0 skills. I don't even know how to fish. I've been thinking about hooking up with these guys http://www.pdxmeat.com/ and a few similar groups... big time and money investment, tho...

I love that you are killing the TV! We cut our cable a long time ago, but I still watch about a show a day on Hulu. I listen to a ton of podcasts, too!

Have you tried Stuff You Missed in History Class? What platform do you use to listen to podcasts on? I'm enjoying the Stitcher app on my Kindle Fire, but there are a few podcasts that aren't available on Stitcher, so I listen to a few on my computer (in iTunes). I think I've at least checked out most of the podcasts you listen to. 

Good luck with your goals!

Bera

I haven't tried that one yet, but it's on my list. I use an app on my iphone called RSS feed. It works well and allows you to download back issues of many podcasts, which I like. I do have to keep an eye on it tho, or otherwise it uses up all the memory.

Midweek Update:

Working out: I went for a 4 mile recovery run yesterday, followed by 5 x squats and overhead lifts with a 40 lb bag of dog food, 2 mins of plank, and 20 x reps of band arm/back exercises. That's 4/130 and 1/18 for starters. I also did a bunch of stretching and foam rolling, which was much harder than the last time. A sign I need to do more.

TV: I've watched 1 hour of TV (GoT S4E2) since Friday. It's a bigger change than I expected. Immediate observations: I'm sleeping more, reading more, and spending more time interacting with the people around me. It's also kind of paralyzing, especially when doing activities that I generally used the background noise for. Most of all, it feels like I have more time. It's definitely a much needed change. Glad I am doing this goal.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines