[Ongoing] The No Soda PVP Challenge - Are You Nerd Enough?

The No Soda PVP Challenge

(Other Noxious Beverages may be substituted)

I am throwing down the gauntlet in personal challenge to any and all nerds who have a soda habit and want to kill that damned sucker!

Note: If your nemesis is another beverage you want to kick, you can play, too! Just make the necessary substitution in your post.

Soda addiction is THE major obstacle to my weight loss goal at this point and I am creating this challenge out of sheer frustration. I resist for days, only to eventually succumb to the combined allure of cold wetness, sugar, and caffeine. And the temptations will only get stronger as the weather heats up. (I live in Phoenix, AZ, USA.)

The only way I can see myself kicking this is through a PVP where I activate my competitive streak and risk extreme humiliation if I fail. I do not want to celebrate my first Nerdversary (May 30) having failed to beat this thing. No cheat days, no "just a sip," no excuses. 100% soda free for 47 days straight.

How about you? What dream is your soda habit keeping you from achieving? What does it cost you in terms of health, happiness, and self-respect?

What level do you choose and how many days are you willing to target?

Are you in?

C'mon. I dare you. Are you nerd enough?

(Signup directions below, along with the roster of players.)

• Like 6

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Pick Your Level and Let the Challenge Begin!

Novice - Soda free for any string of days greater than one; may substitute a different beverage
Beginner - Soda free for at least six days at a time, may substitute a different beverage
Intermediate - Continuous string of 14 or more days without soda or other noxious beverage
Advanced - Continuous string of 28 or more days without soda or other noxious beverage
Beast Mode - Continuous string of 42+ days without soda or other noxious beverage

Steve - Continuous string of 180+ days without soda or other noxious beverage

Zen Mode - Continuous string of 365+ days without soda or other noxious beverage

Signup Instructions:

If you are new to the challenge and have not yet signed up, sign up here. Fill in your answers on the form based on the levels listed above. Once you have completed the form, you will be taken to the spreadsheet, where you can log your participation.

Please only sign up once per beverage you are quitting. (i.e. - once for soda, once for alcohol, if you are quitting more than one beverage for the PVP.)

If you have any problems, please leave a comment on this thread, the spreadsheet, or private message ShadowLion or Auro on the NF forums, and we'll get it sorted.

AND

Say "Hi!" to your fellow PVPers. Post your introduction in this PVP thread and state your level, beverage, and number of days you are targeting. ShadowLion will add you to our roster of intrepid nerds battling their beverage demons!

Spread the word if you know any other rebels that might like this PVP...

Player Roster

Novices (1+ days)

aeya - Soda, Leveled Up June 18, 2014

Anaticula - Soda, Leveled Up August 14, 2014

CelebrateCeleste - Chai Tea Lattes

hblyne - Soda

Heidi - Alcohol, Leveled Up June 10, 2014

Hurley8604 - Chai Tea Lattes, Leveled Up April 20, 2014
Jessikuh - Soda, Leveled Up April 26, 2014

Kat on the Run - Soda, Joined Aug. 25, 2014

Lolavictrola - Artificial Sweeteners, Leveled Up August 4, 2014

Lolavictrola - Soda

Naxius - Alcohol, Leveled Up June 10, 2014

Beginners (6+ days)

aeya - Soda, Leveled Up June 25, 2014

Anaticula - Soda, Achievement Unlocked August 14, 2014

DreamPirate - Soda, Leveled Up August 4, 2014

Grizzy - Soda

Heidi - Alcohol, Achievement Unlocked June 15, 2014
Hurley8604 - Chai Tea Lattes, Leveled Up April 25, 2014

Hurley8604 - Pepsi, Achievement Unlocked April 27, 2014
Ilammer - Diet Guarana/Sparkling Water

Jessikuh - Soda, Leveled Up April 30, 2014

jle819 - Soda
LaidraPhyre - Soda, Leveled Up April 20, 2014

Lolavictrola - Artificial Sweeteners, Achievement Unlocked August 4, 2014

MaddieHatter - Soda, Leveled Up June 4, 2014

Nahny - Soda

Naxius - Alcohol, Achievement Unlocked June 4, 2014

Oramac - Soda

Intermediates (14+ days)

aeya - Soda, Achievement Unlocked June 25, 2014

AmberShards - Soda

Arkblade - Soda

DreamPirate - Soda, Leveled Up August 18, 2014

Endor - Beer

Hansjay - Soda

Heidi - Alcohol

Hurley8604 - Chai Tea Lattes, Achievement Unlocked May 16, 2014
Hurley8604 - Pepsi

Jessikuh - Soda, Achievement Unlocked May 14, 2014

katastrophenkatzchen - Soda, Leveled Up May 23, 2014

LaidraPhyre - Soda, Leveled Up April 27, 2014

MaddieHatter - Soda, Leveled Up June 11, 2014

Naxius - Alcohol

Advanced (28+ days)

Curry Ninja - Soda

DeweyDanger - Soda

DreamPirate - Soda , Achievement Unlocked August 18, 2014

GillyNomad - Soda
Hurley8604 - Chai Tea Lattes

Jessikuh - Soda

katastrophenkatzchen - Soda, Leveled Up June 5, 2014

Kzacher - Alcohol, Leveled Up June 4, 2014

LaidraPhyre - Soda, Leveled Up May 11, 2014

MaddieHatter - Soda, Achievement Unlocked June 25

Mikroftt - Mountain Dew/Soda

Beast Mode (42+ days)
Auro - Soda, Achievement Unlocked May 25, 2014

cb0111 - Soda
davil - Soda, Achievement Unlocked August 30, 2014

Ernahr - Soda

Fearkiller - Coffee

GamingPlenty - Soda

Ironhead - Energy Drinks

katastrophenkatzchen - Soda, Leveled Up August 7, 2014

Kzacher - Alcohol, Achievement Unlocked June 18, 2014

Kzacher - Soda, Achievement Unlocked May 25, 2014

LaidraPhyre - Soda, Achievement Unlocked May 25, 2014

LindsayLifts - Diet Soda

MaddieHatter - Soda

Mommawolfie - Diet Soda, Achievement Unlocked June 19, 2014

ScoutSays - Soda
ShadowLion - Soda, Achievement Unlocked May 25, 2014

Wildross - Diet Mountain Dew, Achievement Unlocked May 25, 2014

SuperBeast (90+ days)

davil - Soda

katastrophenkatzchen - Soda, Achievement Unlocked August 7, 2014

Steve (180+ days)

Emmevee - Coke

katastrophenkatzchen - Soda

Kzacher - Alcohol

Kzacher - Soda

Mommawolfie - Diet Soda

Wildross - Diet Mountain Dew

Zen Mode (365+ days)

Auro - Soda

Clariel- Soda

Emmevee - Soda

jasonkoller - Sugary Drinks

ShadowLion - Soda

WhiskeyShivers - Soda

Cheering Section

Fleaball

Reverberance

• Like 4

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Excellent PVP @Shadowlion I really like the idea.

I kicked soda near the start of joining NF (made a huge difference to my weight loss) so I'm superbeast mode at over a year! :D BUT I'm still struggling with beer so I'd like to join in but sub the soda for beer and go for Intermediate level.

Can you accommodate me? Maybe we can call it brown fizzy soda ;)

• Like 2

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

Excellent PVP @Shadowlion I really like the idea.

I kicked soda near the start of joining NF (made a huge difference to my weight loss) so I'm superbeast mode at over a year! :D BUT I'm still struggling with beer so I'd like to join in but sub the soda for beer and go for Intermediate level.

Can you accommodate me? Maybe we can call it brown fizzy soda ;)

Sure! The more the merrier - I hadn't really thought about the other possibilities. And it will be good for morale to have a Superbeast, who's already killed the soda habit, in our midst!

Glad you are on board!

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

FAQ

Can I join after April 14th?

Yes! Just pick your level accordingly, so you don't run out of days before May 30th.

Can I move up levels?

Yes! You may start at one level and then move up once you pass the lowest continuous day count for the next level. Just notify me in a post that you have made the grade and I will move you to the new level. And, your felllow rebels can cheer your achievement! Woot!

Can I move down a level once the challenge has begun?

Erm...yes. But do your darnedest not to. Ask for support or taunts or whatever will help you stay on track BEFORE you fall, if at all possible. We'd much rather see you move up a level. This is a game everyone can win.

Can I restart at the same level during the game if I have a failure?

Yes, as long as there are enough days left in the PVP to accommodate that level. Otherwise, you will have to move down a level. In this game, the stakes get higher the longer you play...

More later, as questions arise.

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

I'm going to throw my hat in the ring. And to step it up I'm going to do this one two levels:

Novice - chai tea lattes

Beginner - Pepsi

Between drinking the lattes 5 days a week and Pepsi 2 days (16oz a day each) I drink way too much sugar. I'm sure just cutting back on one will help a ton.

• Like 1

"You won't find your answers by looking to the stars. It's a journey you'll have to take by looking inside yourself. You must write your destiny..." Christopher Reeve as Dr. Virgil Swann

Current challenge

Old Challenges: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th9th, 10th11th, 12th, 13th, 14th

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

Put me down for beast mode please.

Editing.

So I've struggled with this for years.  I've stopped several times for multiple months, then fallen back into the Diet Mountain Dew pit.  I know that I can not allow myself any leeway, so the 6 on, 1 cheat day thing won't work for me at all.  My biggest aim/hope is to improve my sleep cycle, though I expect a weight drop as well (I"ve seen a 10-15# weight drop when I've stopped previously).

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

I'm going to throw my hat in the ring. And to step it up I'm going to do this one two levels:

Novice - chai tea lattes

Beginner - Pepsi

Between drinking the lattes 5 days a week and Pepsi 2 days (16oz a day each) I drink way too much sugar. I'm sure just cutting back on one will help a ton.

Welcome, hurley8604! Multiple levels - way to go!

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Put me down for beast mode please.

Editing.

So I've struggled with this for years.  I've stopped several times for multiple months, then fallen back into the Diet Mountain Dew pit.  I know that I can not allow myself any leeway, so the 6 on, 1 cheat day thing won't work for me at all.  My biggest aim/hope is to improve my sleep cycle, though I expect a weight drop as well (I"ve seen a 10-15# weight drop when I've stopped previously).

You are official! I can relate on the need to go full out, no leeway. I've seen the same sort of weight drop on previous attempts, too.

Let's do this thing, fellow Beastmoder!

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Well, it's almost midnight and the start of the challenge.

I wasn't expecting any great revelation from my little "goodbye forever" ritual about 15 minutes ago, but I got a real surprise. I poured myself a small glass of Dr. Pepper to make myself taste it - really taste it - knowing that most of the time I consume it without awareness. This particular exercise was designed to get me to focus on the truly icky chemical taste, to try and inoculate myself against it for this challenge. I even made myself breathe the gases upon opening the bottle to enhance the effect, which made me cough. It really is nasty.

But I already knew that. We all know the bad effects. The surprise came when I asked myself, "Why do I even drink this crap?"

I got this mental image of being at my grandmother's house years and years ago. She always poured us kids a small glass of soda as a special treat. Those were really good times. I looked at the glass in my hand and just about dropped it. It was exactly the same type. I couldn't believe it. I had no idea.

She was one of the most pivotal people in my life and I still miss her a lot, even after 43 years. I've been unconsciously using soda as a link back to that time and to her for decades. No wonder I could stop for awhile, but would start up again when I was stressed or feeling blue!

Sorry to turn this into a psych session, but hopefully it may help somebody else understand their self-destructive behavior. It sure was a revelation to me! I'm floored. I have my patron saint for the challenge now. Any time I am tempted, I'm going to remember her and think of how she wouldn't want me to do something so destructive to my health.

I dumped what was left in the glass down the drain at around 10 minutes to midnight. I am through with soda.

Oh, and the glass? It wasn't even mine. It's one of my boyfriend's, purchased long before I ever met him. Too damn weird for words, but I will take it and use it as a weapon against my nemesis.

• Like 4

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Had my early afternoon/late morning snack without my chai tea latte! Had water instead, though it didn't taste as good. Missing the latte. Hopefully I can make it pass the afternoon boredom without grabbing one.

I did leave my mug at home today so it's not sitting at my desk tempting me to go fill it. As long as I avoid the office mugs that should help.

• Like 2

"You won't find your answers by looking to the stars. It's a journey you'll have to take by looking inside yourself. You must write your destiny..." Christopher Reeve as Dr. Virgil Swann

Current challenge

Old Challenges: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th9th, 10th11th, 12th, 13th, 14th

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

I woke up this morning and mentally planned around the potential land mines in my day and had a big glass of water:

• I will not leave the house without a big container of iced tea and/or water, which means thinking ahead and not leaving in a flurry and forgetting. There is no fallback of going inside a convenience store, with it's myriad temptations!
  • I have been announcing my resolve to family and friends so no one offers me soda (and I know they will be watching!)
  • When I go to the grocery store today, I will buy partner the least attractive soda option I can find. He doesn't care about brand like I do. He works construction in the heat and doesn't have a weight problem; he's not willing to give up soda. So, this is the weakest link in my plan - it will be in the house and there will be open containers in the refrigerator. Per last night's revelation, I'm actually thinking of putting a pic of my grandma on the door of the fridge!
  • Like 2

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Good for you, wildross!

gallery_17054_1045_17116.jpg

• Like 2

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Had my early afternoon/late morning snack without my chai tea latte! Had water instead, though it didn't taste as good. Missing the latte. Hopefully I can make it pass the afternoon boredom without grabbing one.

I did leave my mug at home today so it's not sitting at my desk tempting me to go fill it. As long as I avoid the office mugs that should help.

Way to go and smart moves! You can make it through the afternoon - slay that demon!

gallery_17054_1045_21850.jpg

I find having ice in my water helps. Sometimes I make iced green tea and add some lemon and stevia, usually just black tea though. That's going to be my fallback for any caffeine withdrawal I might have, but I'm hoping that I've had enough days without lately that is not an issue. I do want to sleep this challenge!

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Way to go and smart moves! You can make it through the afternoon - slay that demon!

gallery_17054_1045_21850.jpg

I find having ice in my water helps. Sometimes I make iced green tea and add some lemon and stevia, usually just black tea though. That's going to be my fallback for any caffeine withdrawal I might have, but I'm hoping that I've had enough days without lately that is not an issue. I do want to sleep this challenge!

The iced green tea sounds good! I might just go raid the cabinets and see if we have any of those things available in the office.

• Like 1

Current challenge

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

The iced green tea sounds good! I might just go raid the cabinets and see if we have any of those things available in the office.

It is! Winning the boredom battle is huge and a little pre-planning could make the difference.

What are the ingredients in a chai latte? Maybe you could swipe some of the spices from a latte recipe and infuse them into some tea. I've made mulled cider before where you take a little bag of muslin, add ingredients to it, drop it in the pot and let it steep. It doesn't take much time, especially once you've gotten a recipe you like, as you can make the little bags up ahead of time and tea can be made in large batches and put in the fridge.

This is giving me some new ideas...

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

In the chai lattes I drink... let's see:

sugar, creamer (hydrogenated, coconut oil, glucose syrup, sodium caseinate (from milk), sodium polyphosphate, dipotassium phosphate, sodium steroyl-2-lactylate, silicon dioxide), nonfat dry milk, instant tea, natural and artificial flavor, modified food starch, salt, sucralose.

Mmmm, yummy. :rolleyes: Their K-cups for the Keurig. So many words I cannot pronounce and spell check is going crazy on right now.  

My friend suggested the following:

Tazo Chai Tea (tea bags), a little bit of honey for sweetness and milk (to make it the latte).

I'd like to completely give up the lattes, except for an occasional treat, and have this one be the one I go to. Seems so much better for me than the one I am drinking now.

• Like 1

Current challenge

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

The Tazo-based latte-lite seems like a good way to go. That ingredient list for the K-cup is absolutely evil.

If you go six days without your latte, you can move up a level and have it for your cheat day! That would be a way to space them out until you decide how often you want "occasional treat" to be.

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Ooo, I like the idea of having the Tazo one on my cheat day. Okay, the countdown is on! Only 5 more days to avoid those horrible K-cups, lol.

• Like 1

Current challenge

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

Made it past my "on the way to the gym" DMD purchase.

Well done!  I'm so glad they don't sell Mountain Dew over here, it seems to be something that really gets it's hooks into you. 

• Like 1

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

Well done! I'm so glad they don't sell Mountain Dew over here, it seems to be something that really gets it's hooks into you.

And some Excedrin plus a nap got me past the axe in the forehead headache

• Like 1

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Put me down for Beginner!

I can usually make it almost a full week, but then lapse one day in the weekend. This needs to stop as I usually don't stop at one.

This is a great first PvP challenge for me!

• Like 1

Level 0 - Adventurer?

Challenge #1

The No Soda PVP - Are You Nerd Enough? Challenge (I dare you to join us!)

Spreadsheet for No Soda

My Battle Log

Accountabilibuddies -

C25K & Zombies, Run! Champions

The Taverneers (Level 1 Rebel Group!)

Put me down for Beginner!

I can usually make it almost a full week, but then lapse one day in the weekend. This needs to stop as I usually don't stop at one.

This is a great first PvP challenge for me!

Welcome to the Challenge!

You're on the roster and ready to play,

Now go out, the demon to slay!

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir