bgvanbur and the spring hastening

bgvanbur

Main Quest

21 minute 5k.

Prologue

I have a 5k on May 31 and really want to show improvement for my main quest goal.  I also have another 5k scheduled for July 12, and in Oct and that will probably be my only ones for the year.  I have been slacking on the speedwork in the last challenge, so I need to focus on getting that in again.  And I have some body fat left to evict that is slowing me down so I will continue with my weight loss goal from the last challenge.  Starting weight will be 175 since I am hovering around there and makes the numbers easier to work with.  And with the warm weather I want to make my play more games new year's resolution to incorporate being outside.  I made it more generic in outdoor activities so it can include family walks or jogging stroller runs.

Goals

1) 12 speedwork sessions

2) 36 workouts (speedwork counts)

3) Weigh 170 pounds

4) 21 outdoor activities with boys

Stats

Initial:

LVL: 14, STR: 13.5, DEX: 16.5, STA: 25.5, CON: 6, WIS: 11.25, CHA: 8.25

1) 12 speedwork sessions

+4 DEX

2) 36 workouts (speedwork counts)

+2 STR

+2 STA

3) Weigh 170 pounds

+3 CHA

4) 21 outdoor activities with boys

+2 CON

+2 WIS

fast-rabbit-run.jpg

• Like 1

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

A wild jackalope! Speed work is good, as is time with boys. Good goals. :)

• Like 1

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

21 minutes is a pretty fast 5k. What's your PB now, if you don't mind me asking?

Anyway, those are great challenge goals, balancing solid scout stuff with fun family stuff, so I reckon you'll have a good 6 weeks!

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

21 minutes is a pretty fast 5k. What's your PB now, if you don't mind me asking?

Anyway, those are great challenge goals, balancing solid scout stuff with fun family stuff, so I reckon you'll have a good 6 weeks!

I have ran a few 5ks in the 25:XX range with my best being a 25:03 last October.  I don't expect the 21 minute 5k soon, but I want to focus on improving my 5k (and general speed) so that maybe in a year or two I can beat the 21 minute 5k.

So yesterday was the Mess The Dress 5 mile trail run.  I was a little disappointed by a time of 52:06 but it seems the mud slowed everyone down and I placed 21 out of 133 :)  Only 7 out of 14 in my age group though, I seem to always fall around the halfway point in my age group, we sure have darn fast 30 year old males in the area.

The finish line consisted of a large snow melt puddle (most people called it a lake) and a short steep hill, nice way to finish off the race:

6cMDV6E.jpg

• Like 2

Nice pic-- are you trail running in a necktie?!

Thanks.  Yup, the theme of the Mess The Dress trail run was a dirty prom, so girls wore dresses and guys wore a mix of dresses and normal guy dress up clothes.  I was impressed that nearly everyone dressed up to some extent.  And when I sprinted for the finish the tie was flapping on my shoulder :)

• Like 1

On a trail run? That's weirdly insane. It's an excellent picture though.

• Like 1

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

And the lake at the end helps get the trail mud off your shoes :)

It definitely helped clean the shoes, but it took me 5 minutes to prewash the dirt out of my socks.

More race pictures released :)  This guy was a big help, I followed him for about most of the race and struggled to keep up at times, and he followed me for about a mile, so we definitely helped each other keep a good pace.

KZjs7zw.jpg

• Like 2

It definitely helped clean the shoes, but it took me 5 minutes to prewash the dirt out of my socks.

More race pictures released :)  This guy was a big help, I followed him for about most of the race and struggled to keep up at times, and he followed me for about a mile, so we definitely helped each other keep a good pace.

KZjs7zw.jpg

This is the cutest prom picture I have ever seen. 

Great job on the race, and good luck with your newest Challenge goals! :)

• Like 2

Level 7 DINOSAUR Scout
STR: 9 - CON: 12 - DEX: 6 - STA: 10 - WIS: 16 - CHA: 11
Current Challenge
Scouts Base Camp
Scouts Tavern

I did a barbell workout Monday and a short sprint workout Wednesday morning (short as in 15 minutes because I was under dressed, stupid spring with cold weather after delightful warm weather).  Diet wasn't so great first two days due to leftover pre-Easter celebration leftover food being tempting.  No outside fun since the weekend due to work and coldness.  I plan to do a double workout Thursday (since already have planned night trail group run, easy to do a morning workout too) and be back on track for the challenge.  The weekend looks warm again so can work on doing fun things outside with family then.

HIhi the photo is awesome! :D What do you do mostly outdoors? :)

The best thing outdoors is trail run.  I have three boys so we play in the yard, go to playgrounds and go for random walks/hikes.  I have an itch to buy a bike but money is a little tight so not buying one yet.

Doesn't it stink when the weather doesn't cooperate with our goals? Harumph :(

I'm glad you have a plan for staying on track, though! Let us know how it went.

It went well.  I only got in four workouts last week but two of them were speed/interval workouts.  On Saturday I had a weird lower leg pain so I didn't workout and when I had time on Sunday I used Saturday's pain as an excuse to take it easy even though a good night's sleep seemed to fix it.  I got in tons of outdoor fun last week, I took the baby for a 20 minute jogging stroller run, played soccer and badmitton with boys, I went four wheeling with the oldest boy at my mom's house, we did an impromptu easter egg hunt and playing outside at my mom's house, I finished trimming the overgrowth on one of my apple trees and lots of playing outside over the weekend with the boys.

I had duck for the first time for Easter (along with a ham) and it was amazing, like a fat and moist turkey.  Making soup out of it now :)

Week 1 Progress

1) 12 speedwork sessions (2/12)

17%
17%

2) 36 workouts (4/36)

11%
11%

3) Weigh 170 pounds (176.6)

0%
0%

4) 21 outdoor activities with boys (4/21)

19%
19%

On Friday I was down to 173.2, but by Monday morning I was 176.6, but probably due to a little too many cookies and salt from the ham.

I got in another jogging stroller run during lunch yesterday and a nature trail walk and playground outing with all three boys last night.  I did fartlek intervals this morning (at first I wasn't motivated, but saw that this morning would be warmest part of the day and still barely shorts weather so I had to run).

Mm, I bet the boys are enjoying it too.

• Like 1

Already 1/5 of the way done with the life quest - overachiever!! Honestly though, that is an awesome goal and I would definitely be overdoing it myself, lol.

What do you put in your ... dare I say it.. Duck Soup?

Thanks, it's a fun one to overachieve on :)

Well I picked the meat off the duck and made bone broth out of the rest (along with celery ends and carrot ends).  After discarding everything that didn't filter out with a strainer, I added onion, celery and carrots.  I have done the same thing with turkey, but it turned out better with the duck.  Plus, its a lot smaller which is a plus for me since it is overwhelming to finish the larger turkey soup by myself.

That sounds exactly like my chicken soup, just more exotic. I'm glad it was tasty!

Thanks!

Looking at my workouts, not really getting out there, got in a sprints and a long fast 5k+ run (counting as speed work since I was going as fast as I could the whole time) and a group run which was kind of speed worky since I was struggling to keep up the first half and the last quarter (since it turned into an all out sprint), but that third quarter when they were tired and I was warmed up wasn't a struggle.

I got out for a jogging stroller run, a hike with the boys, another walk with 2/3 boys, and last night we started the fire pit and roasted hot dogs and smores.

Weight is unsurprisingly not losing since I keep snacking on crap I shouldn't.

Week 2 Progress

1) 12 speedwork sessions (4/12)

33%
33%

2) 36 workouts (7/36)

19%
19%

3) Weigh 170 pounds (175.2)

0%
0%

4) 21 outdoor activities with boys (8/21)

38%
38%

Doing great with speedwork and outdoorness, but need to get motivated to do my workouts when my alarm goes off early.

And this week we are getting a new roof (in progress right now)!

Any progress on the workouts since your last update? The fire pit sounds good. I wish we had a garden - I'd love to be able to do stuff like that!

Last week was a crapshoot.  We had our roof replaced, our house all amuck while they finished ceiling painting and I painted the living room walls over the weekend.  But now the house is put back together (for the most part) and can go back to our regular room usages.

Only got in 4 workouts last week (including a late night Sunday trail run to sneak one in, and a hang onto the people running in front of me type group run).  And been a little more focusing on avoiding the crap food.  Only did two activities outside with boys due to the the week's craziness.

Week 3 Progress

1) 12 speedwork sessions (5/12)

41%
41%

2) 36 workouts (11/36)

30%
30%

3) Weigh 170 pounds (174)

20%
20%

4) 21 outdoor activities with boys (10/21)

47%
47%

I think my lack of speed increases is due to low mileage / time on feet and not speed work.  So I really want to focus on getting to bed on time and not skipping my morning runs.  Really want to beat my 5k PR (or close to it) at the end of the month.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines