• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

jedi_mind

tod steps it up

Ok, so to sum up my last challenge: decent habit building, but very little gains in the PT department. A lack of tracking in the second half.

The adjustments made to this challenge is an effort to work on nearly identical goals more effectively than last challenge.

A big problem I have is week 3 or 4 discouragement when I don't reach 100% enough. Changing my tracking method to "30min/week" instead of "5min/day, 6x/week" lets me make up lost days and not kill my motivation over a couple of bad days in a row.

Adding more structure (xp in duolingo vs "study something" or c25k vs "walk") should help me see better results. And stepping up free weights from pushup, c25k from walking should increase gains which in turn increases motivation.

Spirit

I come and go on this goal. I need to spend at least a short time focusing on breathing every day, and approximately three hours hiking once per week.

-Meditation, 30min/week

-Hiking, 3hrs/week

Body

My overall goal here is to be able to pass the Navy physical readiness test. I've been researching the option of enlisting, but desire that physical fitness level regardless.

-Yoga, 30min/week

-Strength training, 30min/week

-C25k, 3x/week

Mind

I've been pretty non specific in the past. No more. A focused goal will help me see results, specifically in acquiring my first second language.

-Spanish, 100xp/week (duolingo)

-Journal, 5x/week

Link to tracker:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Apcyvvqes4kPdHA0VkViaXJwMjlzTFctb2pFOWhnNEE&usp=docslist_api

Note: I posted this on the monks forum this morning by mistake.

• Like 2

Cool I did day one's jogging time tonight even though it's early. I'll be working until 11am, then off drinking for a birthday celebration. Trying to get my responsibilities taken care of first.

Today was day 3 of c25k, I'm feeling good about that. My heart rate peaks about 185bpm and I'm worried that might be dangerous.

I'm at work right now but we'll see what I can get done for the challenge tonight =]

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Wow today I hit a lot of my goals and spent 9 hours on spring cleaning. My living room looks and smells great. Fung shue is improved since we consolidated and donated some furniture. Less is more!

With calories I came in at 1000 and I don't feel hungry.

Anyway the only goal I might not make this week is hiking. I have a few chores tomorrow morning and an extra day of work. If that happens I'll double hike one week to make up for it :P

Thanks for the support guys. The changes in tracking helps a lot, as mentioned.

Man week 1 didn't go well. In fact I'm having trouble figuring out how to fit all my stuff in this week as well. It already looks like hiking won't fit this week's schedule =[

No down time at all. Things going on this week:

1 catching up on 12 hours of sleep

2 working my regular and my other job

3 all my goals on nerd fitness!

4 attending a new volunteer meeting fir local search and rescue group

5 personal therapy

6 homework from alanon, talk with sponsor

7 make the alanon meeting

8 grocery shop and cook for work lunches

9 laundry, of course

Very little down time. Xbox is getting dusty and gamefly is going unloved.

Hi, tod! You have so many goals, I'm surprised you aren't overwhelmed! I wish you luck on your to-do list but just remember to take it one thing at a time. ;) Don't want to short circuit. It's also important to remember to take a few minutes to do something fun. I remember when I was in college and finals week had come, and I was spending twelve hours a day studying. I overloaded and it was awful. Maybe take an hour or so to play Xbox and cool down. In my opinion, that helps relax you too, by relieving stress. What kind of games do you play?

Lately it's been red dead and civilization, forza horizon. The new pokemon on 3ds. But honestly hitting the goals hard this week feels great. A lot of my goals, like journal writing and mediating take only a few minutes a piece and contribute a lot to reducing my stress level.

Because a lot of these goals take a lot more time than 6 weks to complete, they will carry over to the next challenge, like Spanish and c25k.

Thanks for checking in, and I'll remember to bust out some game boy while we're killing time in the rig this shift =]

How far along are you in Spanish? I took four semesters in high school and I wish I could remember more than I do. It's fuzzy. like Japanese. I really liked the new Pokemon, the look and feel of the game was great. It was a little too short though, I wanted more after the credits.

Well the workout on Thursday was great. I felt like I was in control and wanted to push through the jog rather than suffer. And I switched from dumbells to kettle bell, finally incorporating legs into my strength training. Here I am two days later and still a little sore.

I think by tomorrow night I will have made most of my goals, unfortunately not all of hiking. That is harder to work into my week to week schedule than I ever figured.

I did go to a search and rescue orientation. The program seems very challenging, yet with a lot of classes and certifications I can get there in baby steps. Now I just have to apply to a sheriff's department auxiliary job, pass background, oral interviews, ect. Fingers crossed =p

I'm getting there. I've been struggling to keep up with my sleeping, which has been easy in debt since I went on vacation a while back.

Other than that, I'm on my way to the gym to complete the last section on my challenge for the week. Hiking will hopefully do better next week... It was a fantastic day walking in the woods my house

So I hated my last jog yesterday, but I idid manage the most distance out of them all so far.

Next run steps it up, so tomorrow's gym visit will fight me again.

However I did manage to meet most of my goals last week. And I got caughtup on sleep!

So next week's to-do list:

1. fill out SAR application

2. find a Alanon group that meets closer to my house and on my days off

3. Work an extra day of OT

4. Take Mom out to dinner on my day off for mother's day

5. I feel like I'm forgetting something LOL

6. All nerd fitness goals!

Got back into the groove today on the jog. fell off the Wagon on yoga. It's only five minutes why is that hard for me....

Calling in sick today. Since Wednesday I've slept for three hours and I've gotta work tonight, and the next two days. All goals will fall a little short bit I gotta rest today

Hello Tod,

I see you're a fellow EMT - do take care of yourself.  I know how much of a mindclutter/stressful/physically exhausting job it is.  Hope things are going well.

I got a lot of sleep Friday despite having both jobs. I felt a lot better after that, and made it to the gym after I got off duty today and had a run. It was very difficult today but I felt great once it was all done.

True Eve, the goals will be there when I am ready to participate.

Nirvi where are you an EMT? Ya the stress can really get to me on certain days. Luckily I have a strong group of friends at this job, a weekly therapy session, and a fiance who is an LVN. Between all of them I have plenty of people I talk through the tough calls with.

Working out at the gym had gone a long way too making the job even better. The physical side of moving and lifting, and the opportunity to burn stress off. Thanks for your support guys I'll check in again soon =]

For the longest time I was a volunteer EMT for a few squads around the Newark, NJ area - one was closed due to the FD taking over EMS responsibilities [my town]... so for my town of 50,000 near the NYC-metro, where we also take calls for the next town over [4th largest city in the state of NJ by population] we went from 8 ambulances down to... 1.  A few months after they took control they added another rig.  I volunteered for 3 years.

The calls were beginning to get to me and I decided I really needed a break for my own mental health.  The past year I have been working an as occupational health technician for a company called Medcor, so I am basically a clinic-medic - patients come to me.  I work at farthest north oil refinery on the east coast of the US.  It pays very well (an hourly wage I could never get as a paid EMT in NJ), so if you're ever looking for a per-diem or part-time job... we're nationwide.

(also... LVNs or EMTs can be occupational health tech's with Medcor :) )