Saeth steps quietly into the Pub...

Saeth

Greetings and Salutations Fellow Adventurers!

You had me at the Star Wars opening theme in the mini-quest Hiraedd.  

My main quest: To increase my endurance, strengthen and tone my flabby post-two children body.  I want to inspire my kids to be active, healthy, and physically fit.  I want my family to have a sustainable and healthy lifestyle.

Part 1: Do the beginners strength training/body weight work out twice a day three times a week.  (+2 STR, +2 STA)

1a) I will do the BBWW on Tuesday, Thursdays, and Saturdays

1b) One circuit will be done either in the morning after I wake up or during my Lunch break at work, the second will be  done in the evening. 

Part 2: Do interval training a la Steve's recommendations on alternate days from the beginners body weight strength training (three times a week).  Outside if weather permits.  (+2 STA)

2a) This will be done during my Lunch break on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday

Part 3: Exercise/Play with my children each day for at least 30 min, preferably outside (weather permitting). (+2 WIS, +2 CHA, +2 DEX)

3a) I hope by getting them outside to play for a half hour with me they will better understand the importance of physical fitness and maybe, just maybe go to sleep easier at night. 

Life quest:  Maintain the budget that I set up in my first challenge, and pay off $500.00 of credit card debt. (+3 WIS)

Motivation: I only have one family, one body, and one life.  I plan to maximize the use and enjoyment that I get out of it. 

I will track my goals using my favorite tracking tool ever - a spreadsheet!  

I'm tracking it fully on a .xlsx, but I cannot upload the file to share with the limits of from the message board.

Date          Net Calorie intake Day of week Workout Play with Kids? Notes
4/12/2014 2242                     Saturday       None      No                    Example/In-between Challenges

I use MyFitnessPal as my calorie tracker.  I've been using it since last July and have lost 25 lbs using its method/madness. 

If I become injured (I had back trouble in the first challenge), I will do all that I safely can do without causing further injury.

Since I do not have any specific calorie goals, I am not too worried about celebrations/cheat days, etc.  I'm just tracking my calories using MFP because I'm data driven like that.  My dietary requirements post-accident cause me to focus on whole foods and minimum processed foods/sugars, etc.  If I eat badly, I pay for it physically so I am extra motivated to not eat crap.

*Edit* As for how I will grade myself - it will be a pass/fail on a daily basis - I either did what I said I'll do or I did not.  Each component will get a simple letter grade with notes as to why felt I deserved that grade.    With my .xlsx tracker I have a daily grade for each behavior, and then I'll average out the grades for the whole challenge. */Edit*
  • Like 2

Saeth - Were-Cat (Ailuranthrope) Adventurer - Level 2

STR - 1 / DEX - 1 / STA - 1 / CON - 2 / WIS - 3 / CHA - 4

Challenges Accepted - Rebel; Adventurer

Accountabilibuddy - EvillePanda

MyFitnessPal

“Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.†
― George Bernard Shaw

Good challenge, it's great to see someone else shares my spreadsheet lust! Good luck with your goals!

• Like 1

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

I am looking for an accountabilibuddy or two, on the list. Lemme know if you would like one as well. 

MyFitnessPal

― George Bernard Shaw

Sounds good to me.  I didn't have one last challenge.  Maybe it'll help?

• Like 1

"I must not fear.  Fear is the mind killer.  Fear is the little death that causes total obliteration.  I will face my fear.  I will allow it to pass over me and through me until only I remain."

My Current Challenge

Level 2 Bene Gesserit Assassin

STR 4 | DEX 3 | STA 3 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 3

Huzzah!  thanks Eville - see the PM that I just sent ya!  Updating my sig with your challenge as well!

MyFitnessPal

― George Bernard Shaw

Day One of the Challenge down!

Have to edit as the format from the excel sheet did not transfer.  :grumpy:

Date: 4/14/2014

Calorie Intake: 1453

Day of the week: Monday

Workout:running outside - 5 min warm up, 20 min interval (8 circuits), 5 min cool down 

Workout Grade: B, I did it, I tried my best.  I walked a lot during the low periods (between high 30 sec).  To get an A I will have to run the whole time with definite high vs low speeds.  I had been doing intervals on an elliptical machine, and I had forgotten how painful the asphalt actually was to run on. 

Play/Exercise with Kids? 30 minutes of raking leaves and jumping in the pile

Play Grade: A, the kids had fun, both were buried as many times as they wanted, and there was no complaining when it was time to put the leaf pile away and go inside. 

Notes: 

I had a migraine to start the day out, so I did not go to work.  I've had wicked withdrawal headaches since the accident if I eat CRAP one day and then do not for a couple of days.  Just my body's friendly way of reminding me not to eat too many processed sugars/white flour/etc.   The culprit this time was duck pin bowling night last Friday night - I could not eat meat because of Lent which left out the wings and pot stickers... and so the bowling ally veggie pizza was a 9" pile of doom wrapped in cheese and veggie goodness.  I should have just stayed home and had shrimp with the family, but I had missed the last work Happy Hour so I wanted to connect with my coworkers a bit more.   Ah well, the prices we pay for "fun".  

My dietary misadventure plus my family stress did not help as it triggered the migraine yesterday.  My parents live around the block from us and are on the verge of a divorce so visiting the park and having dinner out with the grandparents was great fun for my kids, but not so much for me. 

Excedrin Migraine and Peppermint Essential Oils came to my rescue.  I was able to run the intervals and I pushed through to play with the kids.  We had a mission of raking up the leaves in the front yard and then the kids could jump in the pile until Daddy came home.  While he removed the leaves and corralled the kids, I scurried in to make dinner.  It was late, but spaghetti squash with meat sauce was SO good and worth it.  The kids had real spaghetti, although I think next time they will have to try the  squash.

MyFitnessPal

― George Bernard Shaw

Sounds like a great day!  Good job overcoming the migraine.  I get so wiped afterwards, I'm lucky to even think about doing stuff.  You're off to a great start!

• Like 1

"I must not fear.  Fear is the mind killer.  Fear is the little death that causes total obliteration.  I will face my fear.  I will allow it to pass over me and through me until only I remain."

My Current Challenge

Hmmm we really need a support group of 'Rebel class of Feb 2014'!

Did the play in the leaves help the children sleep at night?  My not-so-little one always has slept better after a good play outdoors.

M x

• Like 1

Xanjra - Level 3 - Human

STR - 1 / DEX - 1 / STA - 8 / CON - 9 / WIS - 6 / CHA - 4

Challenge - 1 (Rebel) Challenge - 2 (Adventurer) Challenge - 3 (Adventurer)

Spoiler

Battle Log 2014

UK Support Group

Long Term Goals Support

'Rule #1 - Cardio.  Zombies lead a very active life style; so should you.'  Zombieland.

Xan - maybe not a support group, but what about an accountabilibuddy group?  I'd lead it but unfortunately I do not have the time during the day to keep it running - silly bank job and no personal browsing.  That being said, I do not have much time tonight to hang out here so straight to my day!

Yes, playing in the leaves yesterday did help them be more ready for bed.  That, and the benedryl since both of their allergies were acting up from said leaves.

Date: 4/15/2014

Calorie Intake: 2156

Day of the Week: Tuesday

Workout: BBWW at Lunch and BBWW in the evening before bed

Workout grade: A, I did it and my form was good.

Play/exercise with Kids? No
Play grade: F

Notes: Without taking the time to decompress and play with the kids this afternoon, I was not the Mom I want to be.  I was uptight and schedule driven.  Lesson learned, hopefully I will be better tomorrow. 

On the funny note, while doing a running warm up on the treadmill today I accidentally found myself running at a 12 mph pace.  I scared my workout buddy as I tried to get off without falling and slow it down to my max of 5 mph.   
  • Like 2

MyFitnessPal

― George Bernard Shaw

12 mph?  Impressive!  I think I would die at that pace.

Don't beat yourself up too much about play time.  You recognized it's something that needs to happen.  Your kids are lucky because of that.  Just take each day as it comes.

• Like 1

My Current Challenge

• Like 1

MyFitnessPal

― George Bernard Shaw

And THAT's why I hate treadmills.  Never fallen off, never want to.

• Like 1

My Current Challenge

Me and my little sister keep daring each other to do a 'comedy fall' off the back of a treadmill in our gym!  So far we are too chicken.   :redface-new:

M x

• Like 1

Xanjra - Level 3 - Human

STR - 1 / DEX - 1 / STA - 8 / CON - 9 / WIS - 6 / CHA - 4

Challenge - 1 (Rebel) Challenge - 2 (Adventurer) Challenge - 3 (Adventurer)

Spoiler

Battle Log 2014

UK Support Group

Long Term Goals Support

'Rule #1 - Cardio.  Zombies lead a very active life style; so should you.'  Zombieland.

So, this is a true story.

I was going to this really pompous gym in my area, and I was like 320 pounds... but whatever!  I was going right?  So I asked this one girl where she got her pants.  They were cute.  She told me "ha, they wouldn't have them in your size." To which I should have bitch slapped the little twat, but didn't.

Anyway about 3 weeks later, she was jogging on the treadmill, and she flew off the back, hit her mouth on the end of the treadmill and knocked out some teeth.

Karma-Karma-Everywhere.jpg

• Like 3

“Letting it get to you. You know what that's called? Being alive. Best thing there is. Being alive right now is all that counts.†-The Doctor

Website ||  Facebook || Twitter ||  MFP  || Pinterest  || Current Challenge ||  My Written Goals

:love_heart:    :love_heart:

And that's why you should try to be nice to everybody.  Unfortunately, she was probably too vapid to put two and two together.

• Like 2

My Current Challenge

/agree about Karma.

Hopefully I can post tonight - need to get breakfast for dinner cooking.

MyFitnessPal

― George Bernard Shaw

Ok, here we go:

Date: 4/16/2014

Calorie intake: 2077

Day of the week: Wednesday

Workout: walk/jog/run intervals. 5 min warm-up and 5 min cool-down.

Workout grade: B, I tried my best, but still not able to run the whole time.

Play/exercise with kids: sort of, singing in the car on the way to taking Mom to the Dr. who's walk in clinic closed at 6 pm - we had to hustle home.

Play/exercise grade: C. While singing is decent for respiratory stamina build up, I was not doing what they wanted to do so it had almost no meaning to them.

Date: 4/17/2014

Calorie intake: 2198

Day of the week: Thursday

Workout: BBWW in the am before appt and work, BBWW before bed.

Workout grade: A, focused on form and I believe I succeeded.

Play/Exercise with kids: none

Play/Exercise grade: F, I was trying to get dinner on the table as soon as possible. On the plus side my husband took them downstairs to clean the family/play room, so they got that sort of exercise.

Notes: I am beginning to realize that my goal of 30 min. of play/exercise with my kids each day was not exactly an attainable goal, unless I have someone else to cook dinner for us.

MyFitnessPal

― George Bernard Shaw

It will be interesting to see how I make it through this weekend exercise and family wise. We are having friends over for Easter weekend and so my house will be joyful chaos. Any recommendations on how to cook a spiral ham?

MyFitnessPal

― George Bernard Shaw

Thanks Eville, I'll try not to be too hard on myself. I can get to be anal about somethings and I can be my worst critic. Well, at least they pay me to be anal at work.

• Like 1

MyFitnessPal

― George Bernard Shaw

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines