• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Librarian of Doom

LoD's Spartan Survival Challenge

So! this is going to be an action-packed challenge.

Main Goal: Don't Die

*HoD interjection "Not even a d4?"*

During this challenge I will participate in my first CrossFit competition, do a marathon relay with my family (I'm only running 5k), and do my first Spartan (assuming I don't chicken out). Main goal is to make it through the Spartan without death or serious injury, so I can start my new job that next Monday.

Goal 1: Upper Body

Upper body strength is probably going to be my biggest weakness at the Spartan, especially pulling myself up on things. To work toward improving this, I will do at least 2 sets of 5 ring rows each time I'm at CrossFit. If ring rows are part of the WOD, that counts

Grading: 90-100% of ring rows done = A; 80-89% done = B; 79% or fewer done = C

Goal 2: Endurance

My second biggest weakness will probably be my cardio endurance. I will attempt to improve this by going to CrossFit regularly, but also by doing what my coach calls a "Fasted Suck Fest". 2x per week I will do a Tabata in the morning as soon as I get up, and 2x per week I will do some slow pace cardio after the WOD.

Grading: 21+ Suck Fests = A; 18-20 = B; 17 or fewer = C

Goal 3: Fuel

My coach suggested a temporary adjustment to my macros yesterday. He said he's had good luck in the past helping postpartum women get their hormones more regulated using a similar balance. I'm a little annoyed, because I had a nice little routine going, but I'm going to give it a shot. New macro split is 175g protein, 100g fat, 175g carbs. Goal is to track macros every day and try to get a plan going to get as close as possible to the goal numbers without going crazy. As an additional incentive, if I get an A grade, I can buy a new lunchbox.

Grading: 37+ days tracked = A; 33-36 days = B; 32 or fewer days = C

Life Side Quest: Get Ready to Go

We're hoping to be able to sell our house relatively quickly so I don't have to do the hellish commute for too long. However, in order to do that, we first have to list the dang thing.  We've been working on cleaning, etc., and I made a strong start this weekend at cleaning up and decluttering things, but we need to kick it into gear and set up a routine so we can clean up stuff quickly when the house is going to be shown.

• Get house ready to be listed
  • Contact a realtor
  • List house
  • Get routine on autopilot

I need to do something on this every day. If we can get the house listed by the beginning of May, and if I have at least 37 days of working toward this goal, I can buy two pairs of Sox Box socks.

• Like 2

Sweet challenge!

On the house de-cluttering thing, try moving everything not in active use into a neat holding spot, nice enough to be seen, but not really packed up yet, and put the active stuff into use.

When we moved, I gave each of us one plate, one bowl, one glass, one fork etc. Same with clothes: three of whatever (tee shirts, long sleeved shirts, dresses, one towel set, one sheet set, etc) and we washed the clothes nightly. Same with the dishes. I know it's not as feasible for an infant, but scaling back the quantity of stuff in use makes it much easier to deal with short burst cleaning.

And yay you for your Spartaness!

Don't worry about the Spartan Super. Everyone gets injected with the T-virus before you start off. Death is only an temporary setback.

Looking forward to your competitions.

• Like 3

Wow you weren't kidding with the action packed! Good luck!

Sent from my "smart" phone using Tapatalk. I'm not sure if my phone is quite smart enough to write what I want... I may not approve this message.

First, you're not gonna die. You can't die! Then we wouldn't be able to hear all about the new job :P

Second, this is a great challenge. So many things going on. You're gonna kill it!

• Like 1

Main Goal: Don't Die

You certainly know how to focus on important things! I only did a 'baby' obstacle race (Warrior Dash)...some guy pulled me over the one obstacle I couldn't climb myself. Warrior Dash is pretty casual, it's not a problem to get help. Is that allowed in your race? I'm sure you would want to do as much as you could, but honestly it was pretty fun to get help doing something that would otherwise be outside my (current) reach.

Sweet challenge! On the house de-cluttering thing, try moving everything not in active use into a neat holding spot, nice enough to be seen, but not really packed up yet, and put the active stuff into use. When we moved, I gave each of us one plate, one bowl, one glass, one fork etc. Same with clothes: three of whatever (tee shirts, long sleeved shirts, dresses, one towel set, one sheet set, etc) and we washed the clothes nightly. Same with the dishes. I know it's not as feasible for an infant, but scaling back the quantity of stuff in use makes it much easier to deal with short burst cleaning. And yay you for your Spartaness!

Yeah, I've been working on that a lot. Pared down the kids' clothes while switching out seasonal clothes and pulling out the stuff that doesn't fit anymore. Need to continue the trend to other areas of the house!

Now that's how you do a challenge!

You had me at "suck fest".

It is a particularly evocative term...

I ove this challenge - you won't die... you BETTER NOT! I'm excited to hear how the cross fit stuff goes (I miss it).

And FastedSuckFest... whoa!

I will endeavor not to die. 

Don't worry about the Spartan Super. Everyone gets injected with the T-virus before you start off. Death is only an temporary setback.

Looking forward to your competitions.

Oh, well, that's a relief, then :P

Wow you weren't kidding with the action packed! Good luck!

Sent from my "smart" phone using Tapatalk. I'm not sure if my phone is quite smart enough to write what I want... I may not approve this message.

Thanks! I have a feeling I'll need it!!!

Love this challenge, LoD!

You've got this!

Thanks!!!

First, you're not gonna die. You can't die! Then we wouldn't be able to hear all about the new job :tongue:

Second, this is a great challenge. So many things going on. You're gonna kill it!

Well, there's some extra motivation for me :D

Subbed for overall Spartaness of Doom

I believe I was promised a  "whining about the new job" thread?

sub'd!!

You certainly know how to focus on important things! I only did a 'baby' obstacle race (Warrior Dash)...some guy pulled me over the one obstacle I couldn't climb myself. Warrior Dash is pretty casual, it's not a problem to get help. Is that allowed in your race? I'm sure you would want to do as much as you could, but honestly it was pretty fun to get help doing something that would otherwise be outside my (current) reach.

Oh, yeah, help is totally allowed. The only reason I'm not chickening out like a big chicken is that a) my sister is registered, too, and B) there's a lady from my box going and I kind of smoke her in almost all the WODs, so if she did it last year and is doing it again this year, I should be able to do it too. Sometimes competition is healthy, right?

Week 1, Day 1:

Testing is happening at school. In the spirit of focusing on positives, I will note that it is almost over for this year and move along. Went home at the end of the day. Did maintenance on the kitchen and the girls' room, which were the two areas already cleaned up, and picked up the living room as well. Want to get this into a habit. Also, set a date for the girls' birthday party, and did my best to encourage people not to get them cluttery gifts, seeing as I hauled two garbage bags and a plastic tub of toys out to the garage yesterday (and they still have 3 stuffed animals each, plus Legos, books, and crayons).

Then CrossFit! We worked technique on deadlifts, cleans, snatches, and double-unders. Then the WOD

1 minute max reps deadlifts

Rest 1 minute

2 minutes max reps snatches

Rest 1 minute

2 minutes max reps clean & jerk

Rest 1 minute

1 minute max reps double unders/singles

Rest 1 minute

1 minute max reps over the bar burpees

I did it with 65 because there were no girl bars left, and I hate using just the bar--it throws off my form because I'm never sure of how far down to go, etc. So that was super fun, and by fun, I mean horrible. 147 total reps with single unders.

After the WOD I did my 2x5 ring rows. Then I went to the store to buy stuff and then I came home and ate. I'm over on fat, and probably will be for this whole week because of the food I already had prepared to fit my previous macro goals. Going to have to go with leaner meats for the rest of the challenge.

No suck fest today; going to try to get some tabatas in in the morning

There are phrases that make me realize how much I have changed as a person....that was one of them.

Goal Tracking

Ring Rows: 1/1 = 100%

Fasted Suck Fests: 0/21

Macros Tracked: 1/42 

House Stuff: 1/42

• Like 1

Yowza. Home sale, suck fest, Spartan, adorable HoD commentary (I mean for real - so cute), and new socks and lunchbox on the line... your thread truly has it all. 

For your lunch box pleasure, may I suggest a tiffin? Not to get too ahead of ourselves here, but I got one a little while back, and it's great.

• Like 1

Yowza. Home sale, suck fest, Spartan, adorable HoD commentary (I mean for real - so cute), and new socks and lunchbox on the line... your thread truly has it all. 

For your lunch box pleasure, may I suggest a tiffin? Not to get too ahead of ourselves here, but I got one a little while back, and it's great.

I maintain someone else should also carry 10000 containers of food in a gym bag like me.

• Like 2

My first ever OCR was a Warrior Dash.  I'm actually considering hitting the MA one on 5/31, simply because it is so close.

Help is certainly allowed at every OCR (so long as you aren't running in the competitive heats).  It truly is one of the greatest things about Obstacle Course Races.

Xena, you should consider hitting up the MA Warrior Dash, or the Spartan Sprint on 8/9, or the Fenway Sprint in November.  

Great Day One, LoD!!!

• Like 1

I did it with 65 because there were no girl bars left, and I hate using just the bar--it throws off my form because I'm never sure of how far down to go, etc. So that was super fun, and by fun, I mean horrible. 147 total reps with single unders.

After the WOD I did my 2x5 ring rows. Then I went to the store to buy stuff and then I came home and ate. I'm over on fat, and probably will be for this whole week because of the food I already had prepared to fit my previous macro goals. Going to have to go with leaner meats for the rest of the challenge.

No suck fest today; going to try to get some tabatas in in the morning

There are phrases that make me realize how much I have changed as a person....that was one of them.

By fun you mean horrible which really means you just killed another CF workout. Girl bars? Who needs girl bars?

I love the self awareness of knowing the phrases which prove how much you've changed.

• Like 1

I learn lots of things on your thread! ...so I had to look up tabata. If I understand right, it's the interval/timing/intensity that matters and the specific exercises are flexible. Do you know already which ones you will do?

Maybe it is just on my mind, but a lot of my NF friends are decluttering.  I suppose it is a spring thing.  I seriously sympathize with the birthday wish to get people to not fill my house with more toys.  Oh, and good work with the other stuff too, but from you all that is to be expected ;).

ok, I skipped everything- You're running the SUPER? ON SATURDAY!?!?!? Then we ARE running together!

I have to do a later wave since I'm driving up from Houston.

Are you staying somewhere close overnight to Sunday? I've secured another entry and I'm trying to convice hubster that we can afford a weekend in Sparta!

• Like 1

ok, I skipped everything- You're running the SUPER? ON SATURDAY!?!?!? Then we ARE running together!

I have to do a later wave since I'm driving up from Houston.

Are you staying somewhere close overnight to Sunday? I've secured another entry and I'm trying to convice hubster that we can afford a weekend in Sparta!

So .... that's, like ......, TOMORROW???  Good luck to you both.  I expect pics!!!!

• Like 1