Tinessael's Journey to Awesomness and Beyond 3

Tinessael

Hi, so I have moved for my third challenge from Adventurers to Scouts. 

Even if my ultimate goal is to lose weight, I have a Half-Marathon on 31st of May, so i thought on putting the fitness first. I am behind on my training plan, mostly due to overplanning. My goal for now is just run the distance before they close the finish line, I think it is 3:15 or something? Right now my running speed is 6.5-7 km/h, and the longest I've run is 12 km. I must say, I've started to panick. It is difficult because I am in med school and am doing my research thesis at the same time...so time is something I don't really have a lot of. 

During my last goal...I didn't lose any weight. I did go temporarily down 3.5 pounds to 136.7, but then I realized I can run much better on carbs. I started reading Mark's Daily Apple, where he recommended eating rice and potatoes because of resistant starch, and eating up to 150 g of carbs if training a lot... I gained those pounds back. And then during the week between challenges I sort of...let myself go and gained another half a pound. My biggest sin was a banana with nutella today.

Anyway, my goals for the next six weeks:

1) Go running 5 times a week

Until now I've done succesfully 3-4 times, I think now is the time to step up and try to complete as much as possible from my training plan. (I use rundouble as a training plan and tracking device.

I will award one point for each time I go running, and in the end I should have 5 x 6 = 30 points. As an exception I may count serious cross training as 0,5 points.

Week 1: 4 points.

+5 Stamina

2) Eat primal. Meet macros

I will do my best to eat primal. I will allow myself to eat cold potatoes or rice for resistant starch. Also, I will for starters allow myself to have two non-primal foods per day, because I think my mistake is always being too harsh on myself and then letting my discipline go and binge. 

Again, for each primal day I will get one point. If I eat three non-primal foods, I will get 0,5 points. I will get a bonus 0,5 points if I eat strictly paleo (no milk products, no cheating foods) So In the end I should habe 7x6=42. 

Ok, so after trying it out, I can't keep out with counting the points. I will change the goal 2 to following my macros: Eat less than 150 grams of carbs every day, and get 80 g of protein. 

1 point for meeting each macro every day, so err..84 points as a goal. 

Week 1: 8.5 points.

+3 Constitution

3) Count calories.

I now log everything I eat, wear my fitbit as a well-built habit.  I log them with loseit, but realy struggle to stay under my calories. 

I will have following goals:

To eat between 100 and 150 g of carbs on days I run, and 50-100 g of carbs on my rest days. 

To eat at least 80 g of protein every day.  This will become goal 2. This will be about calories only. 

Stay under the calories of loseit, but eat back the calories I burn off. I will get all points for the week, if I manage to make up for overate calories with other days I am in minus. 

Week 1: 7 points.

So, 42 points. :)

+3 Dexterity

NEW! Fitness side quest:

I will do the beginners body-weight workout two times per week! 1 point per workout, 12 points to reach.

+2 Strength

NEW! Life side quest

I always complain that I don't have enough time, but a major problem is that I spend a lot of time surfing mindlessly in the internet. So, for the next 6 weeks I will go cold turkey on all silly internet sites like: 9gag, notalways-websites, fml, and so on. Facebook, and the two forums I am on, are still allowed. 

+1 Wisdom, +1 Charisma.

A Hobbit who wants to become an Elf - Scout - Level 3
STR: 2,75 | DEX: 4 | CON: 5,5 | STA: 2,5 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 2,75
The journey of Tinessael 1

The journey of Tinessael 2

Tinessael's Challenge (ongoing)

Hi and welcome to Scouts. I'm excited for your half M. 13.1 is such a great distance and you'll really enjoy it. I wondered about your training schedule. You mention you have very little time but your doing 5 runs a week. I only did 3 when I trained for my half (a long run and 2 smaller, but more intense runs) and I wondered if focusing the time a bit more might give you more breathing space in the week. But if your happy with your plan, ignore me - I'm sure you'll do fine.

Glad to hear you are enjoying Mark's Daily Apple. I should probably look too and see what I'm supposed to be eating this challenge(!)

The rest of the goals look good too, although if you don't mind I'd take issue with the idea that banana and Nutella is "a sin". OK, Nutella isn't great for you but there's a difference between dodgy food choices and moral failings. Its just food, and guilt shouldn't be involved. Just enjoy the delicious bananaey aftertaste and get back on track with the good stuff you choose to eat.

:-)

Anyway, sorry, that's a bit soap boxy, I know. I really like this challenge and I'm sure you'll smash it.

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Try not to be too hard on yourself if you go off plan on food, food is supposed to be nourishing not neurotic after all. :)

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Nice goals!

I'm going to echo 18ck and Shukar and advise against being too obsessive about food. I take everything to extremes and so, when I began monitoring my weight (not really necessary since I've never been overweight) I did so obsessively-- I would weigh myself every morning, after going to the bathroom and before my first glass of water/mug of coffee. Religiously. And counted calories. Obsessively. Then, after doing this for more than a year, I spontaneously ceased. I'm now following a more intuitive approach to eating and my meals no longer require mathematics. :)

What I found is that my body performs better when I am less obsessive about avoiding certain foods and being a calorie Scrooge :)

I'm looking forward to following your progress as you prepare for your Half Marathon! If you're running 12k now, you should do just fine. 12k is about 8 miles, isn't it? Before my first half M, the farthest I had run was only 8 miles, also. I had been sidelined by an emergency surgery and so my training schedule had to be abandoned. So, when I toed the line for my first half, I had never run further than 8 miles. :) What I found was that the first 10 miles were fine and the final three were rather painful-- but rewarding. And you still have time to up your mileage before you begin to taper. Good Luck!!

The week is going! Not amazingly, but it is sort of going. The days were really crazy - I have two week off from classes and piled all my experiments in the lab for those two weeks. AND I have a paper to write until Tuesday, and I was actually planning to write another paper (Not due until june) and catch up on all reading...hm. I think I overestimated my productivity a bit and so didn't have any time to post here. 

@18ck: Thank you for the great comments! I must say...(it may sound a bit stupid) - but you definitely...sort of blew my mind on the perspective of nutella ^^. Also shukar and Inspired...I came to realiye (in connection with this week's mini challenge) that I really don't have a healthy attitude to food and I am trying to change it. Wheres I don't (think at least) have a real binge eating disorder, I still really need to control waht i eat, because it tends to get out of control. I've tried stopping counting calories, but last time I tried that I gained 15 pounds back (which I am still trying to lose). But at the same time, I am now at a healthy weight, and the pounds I am trying to lose are more vanity than health. (And I have a very high body fat percentage- 32% , so I need to work on that) i think when I deprive myself too much of things I like (ice-cream, fruit), I tend to lose control and eat things I don't really like (nutella) and get really bad guilt feelings. I also realized that I am in some really unhealthy paleo facebook groups, that spread the motion of "perfect paleo" (up to not using a microwave O.o). I don't want to leave them, but I need just to let them influence me less. 

Speaking of which, I also realized that the thing with the points and not-paleo foods is too challenging for me...I just don't have the mental capacity to do that. The same with the days of going running and not...because often I don't know until late in the evening whether I am going to make it to go for a run. So i am going to change it to just sticking under 150 g of carbs and getting more than 80 g of protein- and staying under my calories. 

About the running plan - I usually have great difficulties to sticking to something for a longer period of time, but for the last challenge I stuck through to running 3 times per week, with only one week off, and one week even 4 runs. The plan I use is set to be 5 times per week and i am going to try to get as many runs in as possible, with 5 runs being a goal I probably won't achieve, but for until the Half I am just going to try to up my training a bit. 

Until now I've gotten two runs in, both just 3 miles, but it is better than nothing ^^, and one body weight workout. It really kicked my ass! I am...more or less fit, but haven't done any strength exercises for two months. (The second run was supposed to be 12 km, but I did a shorter one because of the DOMS-from-Hell). But i feel myself really great and the 3 miles-runs are getting faster and faster. Those two were with 7.1 km/h, and when I started 7 weeks ago I barely could do a 6.3 km/h. I am going to try to get two more runs in over the weekend. 

I've stuck through with my life goal of not going on 9gag and co...I miss it! I mean, they are great fun, but I think my productivity is better without them. I have...almost half of my paper written ands tarted doing statistics about my experiments and did some readings for a class. 

So erm... 2 points for running, 1 point for Body weight exercises. an A for awesome for staying off the bad websites ^^.

• Like 1

So, another 8 mile run today. I needed two hours for that :unsure: But I am trying not to let it me down and hope that with another month of training, and tapering and nutrition (Had a huge meal some hours before the run today), I will do better. 
Other than being really slow, I am proud of myself. I feel pretty awesome. And in the end... the "worst" which can happen is that they will close the finish line before I make it there, but even then it will be a huge personal victory for me. 

And I found an awesome race on 4th of May, for which I have decided to spontaneously register - wings for life ;) It is a world-wide run in 34 different locations...so anyone else taking part there? It is just 30 minutes by train from where I live. Really excited! Nobody else from my friends will be taking part, so i will be all alone...probably...

Another 1 point for the run. 

Goal for tomorrow: Short hills and body weight training. If I am very sore I might replace the short hills part with a shorter 3 or 4 miles run. 

• Like 1

Well done on the 8 miler. You're right to be proud. As for your concerns about speed, you'll be fine - just keep training. The meal probably wouldn't have helped at all. It's worth trying to get the nutrition right. I don't mean a lot of homework to get it scientifically 100% optimal, but just do what works for you. I swear by a smallish pasta meal the night before and fruit on the morning of, plus glucose sweets for during the race, but I know other people prefer Porridge for breakfast and gels (ugh! Gels! Disgusting!)

Anyway, great news about the race! I have added it to the race calendar here

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/47538-The-Scout-Events-Calendar

And on the online version so you'll pop up on the smartphones of everyone who subscribes to it and we'll all know to cheer you on on the day.

Posted Image

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

*Scrolls back a bit* Oh well I'm glad you found my comments helpful/interesting. It's quite a fine line to walk, really, being thoughtful/careful about food without actually beating ourselves up about slips we make, or being overly anxiois/neurotic about food, and I'm sure we all do it from time to time, but it's worth keeping an eye on, I think!

Lots of slashes/strokes in that last post!

What I meant was - I had a large meal before my 8 mile run and I really felt the weight in my stomach. I gave a gluten sensitivity (I think...anyway, I avoid eating in big amounts), so thinks like porridge, bread and pasta is out of the question. But fruit and rice and potatoes are great :) I've never tried a gel...I eat some bars when I really need to, but they don't taste good at all. 

So, I did indeed do a hill's training today and did the BBWW again. Feel awesome. Had a small piece of cake by some friends and then went to asian cuisine, where I had some duck with rice. Was really tasty, even if quite expensive. 

So, 1 point for a run, 1 point for BBWW. 

Nutrition: 

Hm, too many carbs and too little protein the whole week. I hit the goal of 80g protein on 3 days...and one day I came close, so 3.5 points for that. Carb goal met on 5 days. So 8.5 points. Next week I should cut down on sugar and eat more protein. And more fat. I think my skin needs more healthy fats. 

Calories: 600 calories under for the whole week. Yuppiee! 7 points. (Mostly thanks to the 13K run yesterday ^^)

4 points for running. Feel myself pretty good, so I think I will do a 4 mile run tomorrow and a 3 mile run on Tuesday. I'll see 

I wasn't on the bad sites the whole week. Don't miss it that much anymore. 

2 points for BBWW :)

Well, like I said, whatever works. I think Eddie Izzard's nutrition guru* for his Marathon Man series was a big advocate of potatoes on the night before a run, although I think he overdid it and was a bit leaden after loading up on spuds by the truckload. It's worth figuring out what's good for you though.

(*=I don't know if he was a proper dietician or just some charlat... I mean nutritionist)

I don't usually do gels or bars but when I do I've found the Honey Stinger brand does me pretty well. Not super sweet, pretty sure they are gluten free, and they sit well with my stomach.

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Hm, I think I would feel silly eating gels or anything... I do hope that i can do a half-marathon with just training and eating normal foods. I have some protein powder at home, but I don't really like it and eat most of the time rather real food. 

Shortstuff, well it is going quite well. I am almost ready with my paper for school and get more sleep ^^ (and am more active on nerdfitness). I sometimes type in the address and then remember that I don't really want to go there. I do get my mindlessly surfing the internet time, which I think I need most of the days to rest, but without those sites I don't lose a track of time and return quickly to normal life. XD

Great job so far on mindless website cold turkey :)

If anything, it's working almost *too* well. No update for over a week (hint, hint) ;-)

Just to say, good luck in your race tomorrow. Show 'em what a scout can do!

Thank you! I haven't come around to much these two weeks, did get three runs in the last two weeks in, with a bad herpes outbreak in the nose which kept me in bed for a couple of days :(

I am extremely nervous before tomorrow - more because of all the organisational stuff...it is my first run ever where I am alone, and in another town! I am less (or not at all) nervous because of my time or anything, because it is an open-goal run. 

But... Shoudl i wear sports clothes and take normal clothes with me to change? Or should I wear normal clothes and change there? I can't find for sure if i can change there? What if it rains? Can i wear my ipod? Can I use my phone? I found somewhere in the rule book that all electronic devices are forbidden but I can't believe it that well, and I can't find it anywhere else...What should I eat? What should I drink? Today and tomorrow? 

So many questions!

First off, check the website or printed material for the logistical stuff. If no joy, I would say go in your running gear and take a bag with you with something to put on over your running gear. There's usually a bag drop off so you can stash it there and get it at the other end.

As for ipods a lot of people ignore the no ipod rule, but some races are stricter than others. You could always take it and just not use it if nobody else is... Personally though, I prefer running with no ipod in races even though I never train without one. I think the absence of music helps me regulate breathing better and "change gears" more easily.

As for food, the usual rule is "what your used to". Don't eat anything weird or new that might upset you. Don't eat too much the night before because you don't want to be bloated. You might consider small carb snacks during the day, and a plate of pasta in the evening. Don't chug half a bottle of Chianti with it, obviously. In the morning just what you're used to. Some people have certain foods they swear by but if you don't usually eat Porridge (to take one common example of a runner breakfast) then don't pick race day as a time to try it! Ditto gels. If you don't usually use gels and someone hands you one on race day, smack it out if their hand and stamp on it because it's not the time for novelties.

Oh and phones - you should be fine to take your phone unless the Amish are organising the race. They just don't want you to have ears obstructed in case - say - an ambulance has to come up and help someone and it can't get through because people can't hear it behind them. So having a phone on hand for emergencies isn't going to be a problem.

And lastly, don't worry. Races are friendly events and they make allowances for people not knowing the right form.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines