• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Whimsica

Whimsica - First Challenge As a Druid!

Greetings all! Very excited about my first challenge as a Druid...I'm thankful for the way the first 6-week challenge went because it was a good tweaking opportunity - it showed me what didn't work and what I need to do differently. So here goes:

Main Quest

To lose 12 pounds.

3 Missions

1) Focus on whole foods, and stick around the 1200-1400 calories per day mark (to be tweaked depending on how the weight loss is going).

Scoring system

A: Adhered to the mission 100%.

B: Followed the plan except for 1 cheat meal.

C: Followed the plan except for 2 cheat meals.

D: Followed the plan except for 3 cheat meals.

F: Anything other than the above.

2) Do cardio four days a week and three strength-training workouts per week.

Scoring system

B: Was one workout down on either the cardio or the weights.

C: Was two workouts down (cardio and/or weights).

D: Was three workouts down (cardio and/or weights).

3) Do yoga at least two times a week.

A+: Did yoga more than twice that week.

A: Did yoga at least twice that week.

B: Only did yoga once that week.

F: No yoga :-(

There, that should do it. All the best to all of you in your life and goals, and I look forward to getting to know you!

Whimsica

• Like 2

Best of luck on your goals!  Love the Tesla quote in your signature by the way... 

I think yoga and strength-training/cardio is the way to go.  :)

Nirvi: Thanks a bunch! Yep, I'm thinking it should be a good combination :-) Sounds like we have similar goals...geocaching sounds like it would be a lot of fun but I've never given it a go - would love to hear more about it. And gratz on your loss so far and the incredible growth you've experienced over the last few years! That's absolutely wonderful :-)

Sunmage: Hehe those cars are pretty sweet, no? :-P And thanks so much for the hearty welcome! I love what you said in your post about there being love and light in everything - there absolutely is - I believe that at our core we are love, and it is my persistent goal to let that come through and not choke it off.

Thank you, LittleTurtle! I'm glad you're here as well :-) I should have listed more sleep as one of my missions as well LOL Best of luck to you in yours...

I have to say I'm having more fun in this challenge already, even though it's only Day 3...I tweaked my diet even further this time and my body is absolutely singing about it - and the soreness from Monday's workout is completely YUMMY.  I've almost forgotten about the yoga though, heheh...so much happening at once. Still can't decide if the morning when I first wake up is better, or when I get home. In the morning the muscles are pretty cold so that's probably not a good idea...perhaps it will be a nice transition from work day to evening play time. Hmmm, yes, maybe that's the way to go...when do you guys normally find yoga to be most enjoyable/beneficial? I should add that I'm building my own home practice - I've attended a few 7:00 pm yoga classes at the gym and, while it was enough to fall in love with it and come to appreciate its importance and benefit, the time of day was awful.

Hi and welcome to the Druids :) I hope you enjoy it here! My name is Bekah and it's my job to make sure you don't leave have everything you need to be successful here. Soooo...any questions, ideas, vents, concerns...I am only a PM away :)

Best of luck on your goals!  Love the Tesla quote in your signature by the way... 

I think yoga and strength-training/cardio is the way to go.  :)

I agree entirely!

when do you guys normally find yoga to be most enjoyable/beneficial?

First thing in the morning for me, it makes my day go SO much more smoothly!

Very welcome here Whimsica, and congratulations on a nicely worded (and tough) challenge. I usually do yoga in the afternoon or evening, I 'm to stiff in the morning. Try out what suits you best!

Thanks so much, Eve! I have to agree; I tried it in the morning and it was nearly painful LOL I'm thinking maybe an afternoon transition from work day to evening play time :-) So on to the Week 1 Report Card:

Main Quest

To lose 12 pounds.

3 Missions

1) Focus on whole foods, and stick around the 1200-1400 calories per day mark (to be tweaked depending on how the weight loss is going).

Scoring system

A for this one, woohoo! When you look at exactly what you're eating, calorie-wise instead of health-wise, it's amazing how much you're normally taking in. Most of the week was easy, but this weekend was a challenge - I find that I am a bit ravenous on the weekend and tend to have some weird sort of "entitled" feeling to eat as much as I want. I really think one cheat meal every two weeks instead of every week is the way to go, because, had I allowed myself a cheat meal this weekend, I know it would have been a slippery slope mentally.

Scoring system

A for this one as well! I actually did 5 days of cardio because, I was so sore from Monday's workout, I knew the best medicine on Tuesday would be to get my blood flowing and bathe my muscles in what they needed to heal. Worked out really well. And a note about the strength-training: I decided to try the workout from www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/, but wasn't sure how strenuous it would be if I used the resistance bands I recently purchased. OMG THEY WORKED JUST FINE!!! LOL I have spent the entire week deliciously sore; am quite happy with this workout. I look forward to how wonderful it will feel next week.

I have to score a B here as the week got away from me before I tried the second session, heheh...this is really cool, though: I stopped by the gym at work last week to see if I could do my same workout if one of the bands broke (you can tell this is the first time I've really used them :-P). Turns out they have a lunchtime yoga class twice a week, woot woot! So this is gonna be a no-brainer...

So that's how the missions went, and I am happy to announce that I am on track for the overall main quest goal as well: 3 pounds down this week! I actually hit 4 pounds down mid-week, but this morning it was back up to 3 LOL Oh well...I think I'll keep the daily calorie count for next week and bump up the cardio by 5 minutes/session (plan to do that throughout till I reach a certain level).

Best of luck to everybody and here's to week 2! :pride:

Thanks for checking on me Eve :-) I was away for a bit on vacation (most of weeks 3 and 4)...somehow managed to lose 3 pounds while I was away, even though we were eating restaurant food the whole time and I forgot to take my resistance bands along LOL We DID do a LOT of fast walking. Since all I have to report for the majority of 3 and 4 is yummy decadence, hehe, I'll post the week 2 report card I forgot to post:

Week 2 Report Card:

Main Quest

To lose 12 pounds. (Am down 6 as of the middle of week 4! Woohoo!)

3 Missions

1) Focus on whole foods, and stick around the 1200-1400 calories per day mark (to be tweaked depending on how the weight loss is going). One cheat day every two weeks for sanity's sake.

Scoring system

A Had my scheduled cheat meal on the Saturday following week 2. It was really tough going from a cheat meal each week to every two weeks, but I'm happy that I managed (and that's how it became a cheat day instead of a cheat meal LOL - if memory serves, though, I did have one actual cheat meal and the leftovers that evening, so not sure if that's exactly a cheat day...doesn't matter :-))

Scoring system

BOOYAH! A for this one as well! This is turning into the easy mission to keep somehow; I figured yoga would be easiest :-) Still mighty pleased with the workout I'm getting with the resistance bands...who knew?

F It started with not getting to Walmart like I'd planned to get the yoga mat by the Tuesday class - I have it now (picked it up before vacation) so next week is a go. A beautiful light sage green :-) When I wrote the missions I thought "twice a week, how hard can that be?" Wellllllllll... :redface-new: Better next week...

Anywho, all the best to all of you for the rest of this week!

• Like 1

You're doing very well overall, and you'll get the yoga down pat next week :)

I find that when I am surrounded by things I love involving yoga (like buying my fav color mat, and buying a cool designed meditation cushion) it makes it a whole lot easier to practice, because I get so much more excited about it.

I have been doing my yoga late - very late - at night or mid-afternoonish.  I am a night owl and usually stay up til 3 or 4am, so it's not uncommon for me to do yoga at 1am or so.  Mid-afternoon yoga sessions are my favorite though, especially if it's a warm and bright day outside.  For that "afternoon slump" at 1 or 2pm when I begin to get lazy it really perks me right up.

Thank you! Yes, I'm confident about that...I never thought about doing it during the afternoon slump; would expect it to wind me down rather than perk me up, heheh. The good thing about doing it at work is it shifts my lunch break a bit forward, and having something light to eat at my desk after should do a run right past that slump :-)