Stooshie- The road goes ever, ever on!

Stooshie

76522d1d3ea94856d4c97fc6ac1916ff.jpg

“I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it's very difficult to find anyone.' 

It’s been a while since I’ve done a challenge. I’m back this time and I hope that I’m back for good! I’ve missed NerdFitness! I had to take a break from the challenges for several months to address some of my personal demons. While I’ve not vanquished all my foes, I’ve managed to scatter them so I can address them one at a time. My challenges from here on will be crafted with the goal of taking out said demons one by one. This challenge is to help me get back in the habit of the challenges and hone my will power. This challenge will be getting me ready for my journey… But unlike Biblo’s journey, mine will not be coming back again. It’s time for an adventure!

Goal 1

“This is a story of how a Baggins had an adventure, and found himself doing and saying things altogether unexpected. He may have lost the neighbours’ respect, but he gained—well, you will see whether he gained anything in the end.†

Work out 5 times a week

After joining NerdFitness last year, I started a C25K program. It took me some definite work, but I got through it. Had you told me this time last year that I would be an actual runner, I would have laughed till I cried. Now I run every other day. I joined the Academy as a way to keep me doing something while I took a break from the challenges. I’ve since joined a gym and I’ve gotten addicted to weight lifting (Thank you, Steve and Staci!). For this challenge my workouts will consist of strength training workouts from the NerdFitness Academy combined with my runs. I have three strength workouts a week and three runs a week. I am trying to get myself switched over to running in the mornings. The goal is to be working out 5 or more times a week. With those two combined for most workouts, my general scoring will be 3 points STR and 2 points STA. 

Goal 2

“Go back?" he thought. "No good at all! Go sideways? Impossible! Go forward? Only thing to do! On we go!"

Some kind of flexibility work every day

This is pretty self explanatory. I am working towards the ultimate goal of being fit and flexible enough to go straight into acrobatics lessons when I am somewhere that I have access to such things. I have a long ways to go still, but I’m very happy with the progress I’ve made so far. The flexibility work will include some basic contortion training and a lot of yoga. Very long, strenuous rounds of yoga may be counted as workouts depending on how exhausted I am after. I am also setting myself some mini goals of progressing in several challenging yoga poses. (I’ve just got to decide on which ones I want to work on first.) Accomplishing this goal will give me 4 DEX by the end of the challenge.

Goal 3

“Sorry! I don't want any adventures, thank you. Not Today. Good morning! But please come to tea -any time you like! Why not tomorrow? Good bye!†

Sleep at least 7 hours a night 5 days a week-

I am TERRIBLE at getting rest in general. I’m even worse at getting enough rest for my body to recover. I'm also terrible about saying no to various adventures in order to get more sleep. While adventures are good, rest is highly important. I have one of the worst sleeping schedules ever. Getting more of it will really help me in my recovery and with my focus in life in general. With the work that I will have to do in the coming challenges, I really need to make a habit of getting enough sleep so it’s time to make it a regular part of my life. This year is going to require all of my productive capacities and those capacities are never at 100% if I don’t get enough sleep. If I manage to get 30 days of 7+ hours of sleep this challenge, I will consider it a roaring success which will get me 4 CON.

Goal 4

“There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something. You certainly usually find something, if you look, but it is not always quite the something you were after.†

Send out 3 applications for internships per week

Last year marked a huge turning point in my life. I would be lying if I said that it wasn’t marked by several breakdowns and a rather major round of depression. I have always been the “girl with the plans†but last year, I found out that my plans didn’t work. I had to start over from the beginning. Part of starting over involved going back to school for a different degree, which I will be finishing over the summer semester. Things have been working much better for me in this new degree, but it is time for me to start getting experience in the field. With this in mind, I’m trying to find at least one internship for this summer and the coming fall. With that goal, I’m going to be sending out 3 applications a week for various internships. I’ve been meaning to work on it all this semester, but my course load has been too heavy to give me a chance until now. Three applications a week for 6 weeks will get me 1 WIS and 1 CHA at the end of the challenge.

Here is the link to my spreadsheets for the next 6 weeks: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1D-il4_cG1N13UjxbukZsD3_Nusys3aBBuz38tqulXoY/edit#gid=0

(Also yes, the whole challenge is going to be Hobbit themed. BECAUSE I CAN! :D )

• Like 7

"No power in the 'verse can stop me."

Current Challenge: Stooshie is a Leaf on the Wind

Past Challenges: The road goes ever, ever on!

So, official first day of the challenge! (I actually started yesterday just because I'm weird like that.) It's exciting and I'm so ready to take on this challenge. As always, lovely NerdFitness members, I am... 

At-Your-Service-fili-and-kili-33427162-5

Update!

So technically yesterday was my first day! I went for a run yesterday evening. The wind was blowing very hard which made the run shorter than I had originally planned. But I did get out and go for it. I got some light stretching in afterwards and even got 7.25 hours of sleep. Major success!

Today was also excellent! I went to the gym this morning and got my weight lifting workout in. I had some entertaining interactions while I was there. I workout in the "ladies" gym at the particular place I go to. There was a seniors weight lifting class going on when I got there which was interesting to see. I got started with my workout and was doing fine, but once the class finished, I kept getting interrupted by sweet ladies. They had questions for me and one wanted to know where I'd purchased my shoes. They were all absolutely adorable. I got in a short walk with a friend later in the day, which was really nice. ;) I am about to go stretch out some and then get ready for bed. Tomorrow morning is going to be challenging as I have to get up earlier to have time for a run before my classes start. I hate mornings... A lot. I know I can do this, I just dread them. However, tomorrow is also yoga day, so I have that to look forward to. 

Weekly Stats: 

Workouts- 2/5

Flexibility- 2/7

Good Night's Sleep- 1/5

Internship Applications- 0/3

Farewell for now, lovelies! I shall return tomorrow with entertaining tales of early runs. (I will probably be grumpy...)

• Like 2

Hobbit theme is definitely cool :D Good luck!

Thank you! I've been on a Tolkien kick for a while! I'm currently re-reading my way through the Lord of the Rings! :D It just seemed like too much fun to pass up!

Awesome job, gurl!

Loving the thought process and Hobbit Theme!

Excited to watch this progress, you're going to kill it :)

Thanks, lady! :D I'm going to try to. I've got to get over my hatred of mornings, though... 

You are going to rock this challenge!  You are a toughie!  Don't let the blerch get you!

Thanks, Dizz! ^.^ I'm going to do my best! No way! No blerch here! Never again!

Update for the day!

So... The early morning run... Did not happen. At all. My body decided that it wanted ALL THE SLEEP and I slept through two rounds of alarms. That in itself is extremely bizarre for me since I'm one of those people that generally wakes up a couple minutes before the alarm goes off. However, I can definitely say that I got 7+ hours of sleep. 

My day was filled with general school insanity, a great deal of which has been anxiety producing. The semester is starting to wrap up and I have so many huge projects that I can't even think about finals week right now. Thankfully, it was yoga day today, so I got in an hours worth of bodyweight exercises and flexibility training. The teacher focused on inversions a lot today and I discovered that I am actually capable of arm balances that I couldn't do last month. That was actually a really, really wonderful surprise and one that I definitely needed today. I've been getting a little discouraged with some aspects lately, but discovering that these arm balances are now possible was a huge boost. 

Now, before you stretch out your yelling fingers to type reprimands for my lack of running today... I went for a run when I got home from yoga. When I first started running, I discovered that I do much better at them when I run in the evenings. I also live in the middle of the desert and I'm extremely fair skinned so running at night prevents me from having to bathe in sunscreen before I go out. My run tonight ended up being just at sunset. I was frustrated that I didn't get out to run this morning, but I got to experience something far better because of it. I got to run under a sky that looked like this: 

post-17409-0-24993100-1397629878_thumb.j

From the mountains to the east, to the horizon in the west... the whole sky looked like that. I feel like the luckiest woman in the world for sleeping through two alarms. While it wasn't what I planned, my evening run added such intense beauty to my day!

Weekly Stats: 

Workouts- 3/5

Flexibility- 3/7

Good Night's Sleep- 2/5

Farewell for now! 

• Like 2

What arm balances did you do? That's something that I'm interested in doing, but it's definitely down the line a bit for me!

That sky is beautiful! My husband usually leaves for work extremely early, so I go out later with the kid in the stroller, but occasionally on a Saturday I like to get up early while those two are sleeping and go out for a run by myself and catch the sunrise. It's so nice.

Are you working towards any speed or distance goals with the running, or just the goal of getting out and doing it?

• Like 1

Bagelyo!

Challenge!

Fitocracy!

Runkeeper!

Level 3 Assassin-y Hobbit

STR 5 DEX 3 STA 2 CON 4 WIS 3 CHA 1

Just saw a couple of your hoop dancing videos this morning.   Very cool!  *like*

• Like 1

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

Level 6 Lawful Neutral Human Ranger STR 11 / DEX 11 / CON 9 / INT 14 / WIS 11 / CHA 13

"All glory comes from daring to begin."  -   Eugene F. Ware

well good job for doing those yoga balances. what an awesome sky to run under I would have been very distracted

Thanks! I was so surprised that I could do them and my face must have shown it because the teacher started laughing. And it was completely distracted. I may or may not have nearly run into a few things because I was starting at the sky... 

What arm balances did you do? That's something that I'm interested in doing, but it's definitely down the line a bit for me!

That sky is beautiful! My husband usually leaves for work extremely early, so I go out later with the kid in the stroller, but occasionally on a Saturday I like to get up early while those two are sleeping and go out for a run by myself and catch the sunrise. It's so nice.

Are you working towards any speed or distance goals with the running, or just the goal of getting out and doing it?

Bagelyo!!!!! :D You're still here! I'm so happy! I will be following you in moments! 

The arm balances that she's having us work on are modified versions of these: 

http://yogalifejourney.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/scale-pose.jpg

http://yogalifejourney.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/arm-balance-8-angle.jpg

http://media1.onsugar.com/files/2012/07/30/2/192/1922729/4b82dce16d408a78_bakasana.xxxlarge_1.jpg

The first time she introduced all of them, we just stared at her like she was nuts. 

I've been out for sunrise runs a couple of times before and I loved the colors and seeing the dawn, but my body does not like the running in the morning bit. That sounds so lovely, though! It's really good that you can get some time to yourself! I'm not working towards any speed or distance goals, really. I'm pretty happy with my 5K at this point in time and I'm focusing a little more on building strength. Are you working towards any? :D

Just saw a couple of your hoop dancing videos this morning.   Very cool!  *like*

Oh, thank you! Haha! They're from last fall. I've actually got some newer footage that will hopefully be a bit better than the previous stuff. I just have no time to edit a video at the moment. Thank you very much, though! It means a lot! :D 

A Hobbit themed challenge :wub:  Good for you for making time for the run-and glad that you were rewarded with an amazing sky

Hehehe! I'm glad you like it. I must admit, it's making it really fun for me when I work on my updates. Thank you! It was totally worth the time it took. We don't often get skies like that! It was serendipitous! (I may or may not have run into a tree or two, though...)

Hello again, lovelies! I do believe it is update time! 

Last night didn't end up going very well for getting a decent amount of sleep. I got somewhere around 5 hours of sleep. I had one of those nights in which the brain finds it necessary to ponder every thing that could -ever- happen in the future. I spent several hours trying to get my mind in some kind of order, however my tired but overactive brain thinks of some hilarious stuff. So I earned a resounding no on 7+ hours of sleep. But I'm allowed two failed attempts, so it's okay. 

As far as workouts and flexibility practice, yes and yes! Today was a lifting day, so I was at the gym again today. My workout went uninterrupted this time. Everything went quite well and I'm pleased (and somewhat surprised) at my progress. I got a good round of stretching in before and after my workout. I did an extra round of stretching this evening because I was feeling a little bit sore and more than a little stressed. 

In an attempt to start forcing myself into new patterns of thinking, I've decided to regularly push myself out of my comfort zone. I'm generally very good at pushing beyond that zone intellectually... But not physically. For years I stayed very much within the realm of movement that I was used to. Lately I've been trying to challenge myself and do things that scare me. Thanks to several inspiring people in this guild, I've been toying with the idea of working on handstands. Some (crazy) part of my brain suggested that I should try those tonight. I should clarify that I've never been able to do handstands. Ever. So the immediate response of the sane part of me was... 

tumblr_inline_mxmwxzGTMh1qecfy1.gif

But before the sane part of me could realize what was going on, the crazy part had me in a handstand against the wall. I worked on extending the inversion then... Wait... I just did a handstand?... Hang on, plural.... Handstands?!

tumblr_mj195mMebr1qejqwno1_500.gif

I can't... Even... There are no words. Well, maybe there is one.

WHAT?!?!?

I am so excited and so confused at the same time. This challenge is already blowing my mind. If I can stick with this daring streak, I can't even imagine how much I may grow during the course of the next 5 weeks. As a side note, I think I am going to name the crazy part of my brain "Gandalf" for this challenge. I think it fits rather well. I need some more time to process this. (And some sleep. I really need that right now.) I'm kind of in shock... 

Weekly Stats: 

Workouts- 4/5

Flexibility- 4/7

Good Night's Sleep- 2/5

Farewell for now, lovelies!

• Like 2

Bagelyo!!!!! :D You're still here! I'm so happy! I will be following you in moments! 

The arm balances that she's having us work on are modified versions of these: 

http://yogalifejourney.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/scale-pose.jpg

http://yogalifejourney.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/arm-balance-8-angle.jpg

http://media1.onsugar.com/files/2012/07/30/2/192/1922729/4b82dce16d408a78_bakasana.xxxlarge_1.jpg

The first time she introduced all of them, we just stared at her like she was nuts. 

I've been out for sunrise runs a couple of times before and I loved the colors and seeing the dawn, but my body does not like the running in the morning bit. That sounds so lovely, though! It's really good that you can get some time to yourself! I'm not working towards any speed or distance goals, really. I'm pretty happy with my 5K at this point in time and I'm focusing a little more on building strength. Are you working towards any? :D

Well, I'm here again, rather than still... :lol:

That second arm balance in particular looks so hard! Is that last one crow pose? I think there's a lot of assassins who are/have been working on that one.

I'm working on C25K right now, but I am thinking ahead to what I want to do when I am finished now that the end is in sight and I'm starting to believe I might actually make it! I'm super slow, so it might be a good idea to work on speed, but I love having a nice specific program and a goal to work towards, and there is that "bridge to 10k" program that you can follow after C25K...

That's so great about the handstand! It's such a great feeling to do something you thought you couldn't. :D

• Like 1

Bagelyo!

Challenge!

Fitocracy!

Runkeeper!

Level 3 Assassin-y Hobbit

STR 5 DEX 3 STA 2 CON 4 WIS 3 CHA 1

Well, I'm here again, rather than still... :lol:

That second arm balance in particular looks so hard! Is that last one crow pose? I think there's a lot of assassins who are/have been working on that one.

I'm working on C25K right now, but I am thinking ahead to what I want to do when I am finished now that the end is in sight and I'm starting to believe I might actually make it! I'm super slow, so it might be a good idea to work on speed, but I love having a nice specific program and a goal to work towards, and there is that "bridge to 10k" program that you can follow after C25K...

That's so great about the handstand! It's such a great feeling to do something you thought you couldn't. :D

Ah, that's awesome! :D I'll be following your progress this challenge! I'm so happy that one of the Knights is here! 

The second one is actually kind of fun. We worked on it some more today. Yep, it's crow! 

Good job! Keep up the good work! That's a hard program to get through! Working on speed would be fun for you but I definitely agree that having a specific program is nice. xD Goodness! You're awesome if you go for the 10K!

Yeah! I still can't really believe it! I'm going to work on them some more tonight, partly to test that last night wasn't just a fluke. 

Sounds like you're rocking it so far! Hello to someone else doing some yoga and a Tolkien-themed challenge :)

Thank you! I'm trying to start out strong so I keep my momentum up later on. Hello! Yoga is amazing and Tolkien is even better! I'll be following your challenge! ;) 

Hey there, decided to return the favor and follow your challenge too, and I like what I see. I'm a fan of yoga though I haven't tried any crazy poses like those, aside from crow pose but I've never practiced it consistently. I just use a lot of the basic stretches.

Huge congratulations on the handstand, I was super stoked when I finally pulled that off too. Now I feel like trying out that crow pose again.

• Like 1

Half-Giant Assassin Level 9

Current Challenge: Move

Past Challenges: First Challenge, Read the Prophecy, Follow the Prophecy, Get Serious Again, Upside Down, Running, Build a Bridge, Make it Fun,

"I have not failed 10,000 times; I have successfully found 10,000 ways that don't work." - Thomas Edison

"I don't want to do it, therefore I must!" - Me

"If we win because we are a winner then when we lose it must make us a loser." - Josh Waitzkin

So looking forward to Camp Nerd Fitness, really hope I'll get to meet some fellow assassin there. Might have to be top secret though.

Hey there, decided to return the favor and follow your challenge too, and I like what I see. I'm a fan of yoga though I haven't tried any crazy poses like those, aside from crow pose but I've never practiced it consistently. I just use a lot of the basic stretches.

Huge congratulations on the handstand, I was super stoked when I finally pulled that off too. Now I feel like trying out that crow pose again.

Oh man! Thank you so much! Hahaha! If you're following, I'm going to have to up my game. The basic stretches are wonderful. I didn't practice yoga reliably for a long time. It's only been within the last year or so that I've really started to go at it seriously. 

Thank you very much! I'm more confused than anything still. You should definitely try crow again! Let me know how it goes! :D

Belated WOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! for accidental handstands :D

Thank you! :D "Accidental handstands" is the best way to describe it. xD You're brilliant!

Today will have a double update, since I missed getting one up yesterday. 

c29310d870e36b1cb45e43bf87493088.jpg

That pretty much sums up the last two days. 

Thursday went decently challenge-wise. I didn't get adequate sleep, but I did get a workout in and did some flexibility work. It's still possible for me to fill my weekly goals with the two nights of bad sleep. I just have to make sure to get enough sleep tonight and tomorrow. However, Thursday was marked by a family crisis, trips to the hospital (not for me), stressful classes and way too much schoolwork. The family crisis woke a few things that I was not prepared to handle, so Thursday and today have been really rough mentally and emotionally. I also discovered that I should never do yoga while in the throes of extreme emotions. Yoga is all about being present in the moment and that means being very present with any emotions that you're having. It was one of the first times I've had a very unpleasant yoga class. Physically it was fine- mentally not so much. Ah well, not every class can be phenomenal. 

As for today, sleeping last night was terrible but I did manage to get 7 hours of sleep after taking sleeping pills. Today was tiring thanks to the messed up sleep that I got last night. However, I did get some really important school stuff done and I finished polishing up the design on my resume. I also got to the gym and got a really good workout in. I am amazed how much of a difference a good workout to happy, mellow music can make. I did some light stretching after my workout and I've done some more this evening. I also practiced handstands some more. I think I will grow to like handstands very much. The kind of focus required for them really helps me quiet my brain down. Handstands are about to become one of my favorites now.

The fact that they force my brain to quiet down is exactly what I'm going to need since it looks like I'm going to be taking on one of my demons sooner than I expected. In keeping with my current theme, I'm going to view it as a dragon for the next 6 weeks... 

tumblr_mgn9vr3EnG1qm0ktxo7_500.gif

I can do this! What does a little fire matter now and then? 

Weekly Stats: 

Workouts- 6/5 *Goal completed and exceeded!*

Flexibility- 6/7

Good Night's Sleep- 3/5

Farewell for the night, lovelies! 

• Like 2

Shoot you are really good at all this updating stuff! I am sorry about your Family crisis, I am happy you have found a new friend in the handstand! I find when I have a lot of emotional stuff yoga just intensifies it for me, that's why I like doing it early in the morning, usually I don't have major emotional issues before 10 lol.

• Like 1

Be strong, the assassins are here for you. Way to keep the ball rolling. I did try out crow again and it seems not as hard as I thought it was going to be once I watched a good tutorial. My form is poor and the balancing part will take quite a bit more work but I'm going to start doing it a bit more.

• Like 1

Half-Giant Assassin Level 9

Current Challenge: Move

Past Challenges: First Challenge, Read the Prophecy, Follow the Prophecy, Get Serious Again, Upside Down, Running, Build a Bridge, Make it Fun,

"I have not failed 10,000 times; I have successfully found 10,000 ways that don't work." - Thomas Edison

"I don't want to do it, therefore I must!" - Me

"If we win because we are a winner then when we lose it must make us a loser." - Josh Waitzkin

So looking forward to Camp Nerd Fitness, really hope I'll get to meet some fellow assassin there. Might have to be top secret though.

Shoot you are really good at all this updating stuff! I am sorry about your Family crisis, I am happy you have found a new friend in the handstand! I find when I have a lot of emotional stuff yoga just intensifies it for me, that's why I like doing it early in the morning, usually I don't have major emotional issues before 10 lol.

Haha! Thank you! :) I do try. Thank you, it is as resolved as it can be for the time being. We are now having to play the waiting game. Oy, yeah, I found out about the intensifying effect. That was not the most fun discovery to make, but it's good to know for the future. I can see how early morning would definitely be a boon in that regard! 

I love your theme and update layouts!   And you are already onto handstands - my my!

Thanks, Talvi! I wanted to have more fun with my challenge this time around. Tolkien seemed to fit the bill quite well. (Plus it gives me an excuse to go find silly gifs and pretty pictures. ;) ) Thank you! That fact has finally sunk in and I'm getting super stoked!

Be strong, the assassins are here for you. Way to keep the ball rolling. I did try out crow again and it seems not as hard as I thought it was going to be once I watched a good tutorial. My form is poor and the balancing part will take quite a bit more work but I'm going to start doing it a bit more.

Thank you! I'll be doing the best that I can. Oh, awesome! Congratulations! It's so tricky to get. Goodness knows I've faceplanted into my mat so many times while working on it. The balancing is the hardest part. Hahaha! You'll get it down in no time, I'm sure! Yoga arm balances are just too much fun to play with. 

Woohoo awesome handstands!!

advantage_gandalf.png

Oh my gosh, Elastigirl! Thank you for that! You are too amazing. I laughed till I cried. You just made my night! xD This makes me so very happy!

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines