Stooshie- The road goes ever, ever on!

Stooshie

I'm late to the party, but yoga! And hand balancing!!! I love seeing more people get into hand balancing. Mastering crow pose really opens up the door for so many awesome balances.

I find it impossible to do yoga if I'm overly anxious and incapable of finding the right frame of mind. Some days, it's just better to find a punching bag or do something a bit more aggressive than try to force the yoga.

• Like 1

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

I'm late to the party, but yoga! And hand balancing!!! I love seeing more people get into hand balancing. Mastering crow pose really opens up the door for so many awesome balances.

I find it impossible to do yoga if I'm overly anxious and incapable of finding the right frame of mind. Some days, it's just better to find a punching bag or do something a bit more aggressive than try to force the yoga.

Hahaha! Many, many welcomes, Nymeria! Oh my gosh, it really does! I've discovered that they're rather addicting too. Once you start working on the hand balancing... MUST LEARN MORE. They're just so much fun somehow.

Hmm, that's what I'm hearing from a lot of people. I'm somewhat surprised because I used to do a lot of tai chi and meditation. I could do tai chi without any issues when I was upset. It would actually help me deal with the emotions. I thought yoga was going to be similar and found out I was much mistaken. I'm definitely not going to force the yoga again. 

"No power in the 'verse can stop me."

Current Challenge: Stooshie is a Leaf on the Wind

Past Challenges: The road goes ever, ever on!

48a19b99845dde8cc7a824bc99a51704.jpg

I do believe a summary of last week is in order. Saturday ended up being quite a good day challenge-wise. I got more than the required amount of sleep and got some stretching in. I spent a very large portion of the day on Saturday wandering around. It kept me from getting too sore... until I had to sit down for long stretches of time. I saw a gorgeous sunset Saturday night and even got to stand in the rain for a bit. Yes, standing in the rain is a treat for me. I live in the desert, we don't see rain often! It was so lovely. 

I didn't get a chance to send in any applications as my Saturday was unexpectedly filled with plans. I also received an invitation from my technical editing professor. She's looking over my resume tomorrow to make sure it's super polished for the applications that I will be sending out. However, I don't like not having that requirement filled. So I am holding myself to the three from last week, the three for this week and an extra two as a "late fee". If I have not put in eight applications to internships by this Saturday, you are hereby authorized to yell at me. (I'd be crazy to pass up a chance to have my resume polished by a professional technical editor, though. Therefore I feel the delay is excusable.) 

While there have been some unexpected kinks in my journey so far, I'm doing quite well in my chosen path. I exceeded my workout goal this past week. I met my sleep requirement goal. I also demolished my flexibility goals. I didn't send out applications, but I will be sending them out this week as well as a couple extra due to the lateness of my first round. Despite some major family issues at the end of the week I did stick to my goals and even kept up with my school work. I am quite encouraged with the way this week ended. I am giving myself a tentative A for the week, hinging on my applications going out this week.

"All the same I am pleased to find you remember something about me. You seem to remember my fireworks kindly, at any rate, and that is not without hope. Indeed, for your old grandfather Took's sake, and for the sake of poor Belladonna, I will give you what you asked for."

"I beg your pardon, I haven't asked for anything!"

"Yes, you have! Twice now. My pardon. I give it to you. In fact I will go so far as to send you on this adventure. Very amusing for me, very good for you- and profitable too, very likely, if you ever get over it." 

This week has seen the start of quite an adventure. While a large part of me is not at all sure about the direction that I'm headed in, I am surrendering to the idea that it's not the destination but the journey that matters. I am finding a particular streak in my personality that I didn't think survived the years of high school. However, I'm finding that it's still there and is dragging me out on this particular adventure. After this week, I am growing ever surer that this adventure will indeed be very amusing and very good for me. And I hope that I shall never get over it. ^_^

Weekly Stats: 

Workouts- 6/5 *Goal completed and exceeded!*

Flexibility- 7/7

Good Night's Sleep- 5/5

Internship Applications- 0/3 *To be completed and supplemented this week on top of this week's goal as well.*

Farewell for now! Bring on week two!

• Like 4

You are on top of this challenge hard core! School is definitely not going to stop you from advancing your skills :)

thats_how_we_roll_in_the_shire_.gif

Haha, loving these hobbit posts by the way! Smaug is a good metaphor for a challenging day.

Week 1 was definitely the setting bar and you'll only get better from there. BRING ON WEEK 2!

If it ever feels difficult just stay in the moment and think:

tumblr_lty68qrXFY1qjz2yh.gif

• Like 1

Level 1 Pandaren Assassin

STR: 2 I DEX: 1 I STA: 2 I CON: 3 I WIS: 4 I CHA: 3

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible" -Walt Disney

Good job!

Why thank you, Robot Mistress of Pain! ^_^ I'm trying to get momentum built up early in the challenge to hopefully carry me through some of the later weeks.

Excellent first week!  :applouse:  Go, Stooshie, go!

Thanks, Annyshay! I'm trying! Hopefully this week will be just as good!

You are awesome! Give yourself a high five from me :)

t8zvc.gif

Thank you, lady! :D I did! Everyone around is super confused now. Totally worth it for a high five from the Fruity Overlord. 

You are on top of this challenge hard core! School is definitely not going to stop you from advancing your skills :)

thats_how_we_roll_in_the_shire_.gif

Haha, loving these hobbit posts by the way! Smaug is a good metaphor for a challenging day.

Week 1 was definitely the setting bar and you'll only get better from there. BRING ON WEEK 2!

If it ever feels difficult just stay in the moment and think:

tumblr_lty68qrXFY1qjz2yh.gif

Thanks, lady! I'm trying not to let school get in the way. Also you know where I'd end up if I didn't work out. ;) Orange is just really unflattering on me. Hahaha! Thanks! I found Smaug rather fitting. :D Also.... You. Are. Amazing! That first gif... Oh my gosh. You win the internet. And the second is such a lovely reminder. :) Thank you!

You're an amazing accountabilibuddy!

Hi Stooshie! Hope you'll forgive my lateness, but I finally made it over here.  :smile-new:

Dragons and adventures! You have a great quest set up, and you're killing it so far! Hope the family stuff works itself out as well as possible, and that the challenge (and your fellow nerds) can do something to help you through it. Nice job on week one, and here's to an even more awesome week 2!  :very_drunk:

• Like 1

Optimist: someone who figures that taking a step backward after taking a step forward is not a disaster, it's more like a cha-cha.

Member of CNF: TOS

Awesome week one! That definitely sounds like the right decision to hold off on those applications for now. And so great that you kept up with everything despite the obstacle of the family issues and the schoolwork. And I hear you on the rain thing! I don't live in the desert, but I am looking forward to the weather warming up enough here to go play outside when it rains. It's supposed to rain today actually, so maybe I'll be lucky.

• Like 1

Bagelyo!

Challenge!

Fitocracy!

Runkeeper!

Level 3 Assassin-y Hobbit

STR 5 DEX 3 STA 2 CON 4 WIS 3 CHA 1

Way to go, that was a strong first week. I look forward to seeing your second week as well.

• Like 1

Half-Giant Assassin Level 9

Current Challenge: Move

Past Challenges: First Challenge, Read the Prophecy, Follow the Prophecy, Get Serious Again, Upside Down, Running, Build a Bridge, Make it Fun,

"I have not failed 10,000 times; I have successfully found 10,000 ways that don't work." - Thomas Edison

"I don't want to do it, therefore I must!" - Me

"If we win because we are a winner then when we lose it must make us a loser." - Josh Waitzkin

So looking forward to Camp Nerd Fitness, really hope I'll get to meet some fellow assassin there. Might have to be top secret though.

I promise there is an actual update coming tonight, everyone. Seriously. I'm having to get some school work out of the way first, but there is a real update on the way!

Hi Stooshie! Hope you'll forgive my lateness, but I finally made it over here.  :smile-new:

Dragons and adventures! You have a great quest set up, and you're killing it so far! Hope the family stuff works itself out as well as possible, and that the challenge (and your fellow nerds) can do something to help you through it. Nice job on week one, and here's to an even more awesome week 2!  :very_drunk:

Oh hi! Haha, I'm happy to see you! Goodness knows that I'm behind on my updates this week. The work load from school is kicking my butt right now. Welcome! ^_^ 

Hehehe! Thank you! I figured it was time for some adventures in my life. ;) Thank you, it's getting a little more settled at the moment. There will actually be a post coming up about some of it. Thank you! To you too! We can handle this week!

Awesome week one! That definitely sounds like the right decision to hold off on those applications for now. And so great that you kept up with everything despite the obstacle of the family issues and the schoolwork. And I hear you on the rain thing! I don't live in the desert, but I am looking forward to the weather warming up enough here to go play outside when it rains. It's supposed to rain today actually, so maybe I'll be lucky.

Thanks! Hahaha! Yeah, that was my thought too! Any advantage I can get is very, very needed right now. Thanks, the working out actually helped me deal with some of the stress. :) Oh man, yes! Rain is the absolute best. I can't wait for the monsoon here because there is seriously no more heavenly feeling than running during a thunderstorm here! I hope you got rain today. :D

Way to go, that was a strong first week. I look forward to seeing your second week as well.

Thank you very much! This week is going pretty well so far. The first update is coming up tonight. :) 

• Like 1

I promised an update and here it is! :) I should probably mention that I've really fallen into this challenge and the second week. So here we go... 

40f94b4a4ede3952a450275c5dbf114f.jpg

Sunday was a good day. I got a large amount of school work done. (Still not enough to really make a dent, but every little bit helps.) I got in a round of stretching in the morning and after my run. The run went very well and I'm actually very pumped about it. I've taken about three months off from serious running. It had become something I had to do instead of something I wanted to do. I felt a break was in order, but I was worried about getting back into running after I'd taken so long of a break. On Sunday I found out that not only did my distance increase, but my time has gotten better! Apparently the break was what my body needed. Plus I'm back to loving my runs just as much as I originally did. I couldn't wait to go on another one. Sunday was dismal for sleep, however. So that aspect was an epic fail, however everything else went rather well!

Monday was actually a really pleasant day. I was rather sleep deprived, but I started the next level of the Academy's dumbbell division that I've been working on. It was a super challenging workout for me but I loved every minute of it. I got in a good round of stretching after that. I was definitely feeling the workout for the rest of the day, though. Monday afternoon started out in a very frustrating manner, but a dear friend saved it completely. There were many laughs and smiles and my frustration melted away. On top of all of that, I got a good night of sleep that night. I was so tired that I fell asleep in the middle of working on more schoolwork. At some point I woke up and got in bed properly, but I barely remember that. One night of 7+ hours of sleep down this week!

Today was very productive as far as challenge work goes as well! My Tuesdays and Thursdays are filled with classes, but I got a good round of stretching in during the afternoon. After getting more homework done, I went for a run (later than I had really wished to). The run tonight didn't go quite as well as Sunday thanks to me going out much later and not being well enough hydrated. I ran myself a little sick. I've not adjusted to our warmer temperatures yet which means that it's very easy to get dehydrated when I'm not paying attention. I also made sure to do some more stretching and I worked on handstands some tonight as well! 

I've noticed something odd- when I do handstands right after a big workout, I find that I am a lot less sore a couple hours after and even less sore the day after. I'm willing to bet it has something to do with the inversion factor. However, it could just be me being crazy. (Which wouldn't surprise me too much.) Has anyone else had the same experience or am I out of my mind? 

Weekly Stats: 

Workouts- 3/5

Flexibility- 3/7

Good Night's Sleep- 1/5

Internship Applications- 0/8

Farewell for now, lovelies! More updates coming soon! ^_^

• Like 3

You're kicking butt on the workouts! Now for more sleep... 

Do you track things like what you do before bed, food & drink, etc? Maybe there's a pattern to be found. 

• Like 1

Optimist: someone who figures that taking a step backward after taking a step forward is not a disaster, it's more like a cha-cha.

You're kicking butt on the workouts! Now for more sleep... 

Do you track things like what you do before bed, food & drink, etc? Maybe there's a pattern to be found. 

Thanks! The workouts aren't too hard for me to keep up with because they're a massive source of stress relief for me and they help me actually sleep. Sleep has always been a tricky thing for me. 

I do. I am generally better able to sleep when I don't have quite so much to keep track of in uni. This has been the semester from Hades for me. I try to have a bit of a routine before bed. I'll get ready for bed, read a little, have a mug of herbal tea, that sort of thing. I don't eat late at night unless I'm absolutely starving. Lately, school and life have both been causing such bad anxiety that sleep has just not been happening. Insomnia also runs in my family so that doesn't help much. I'm hoping this latest round of it is thanks to school. If I can get through the end of the semester then hopefully it should fix itself a little. (Hopefully.) Do you have any tips at all for getting more sleep or falling asleep? I need all the help I can get.

1. Reading! It's great for falling asleep. Read something that's either slow, hard to read or that you've read before so you don't get the "zomg need to keep reading to figure out what happens next" effect.

2. guided meditation. there are lots of apps with meditation, and it can really calm people down. I recently got the Sleep Easily app and it worked like a charm when I tried it.

3. Exercise :D But you've got that covered already!

4. If you're a read-on-cellphone-in-bed-person, get yourself an app that tints your screen red. It's in one of Steve's articles about falling asleep. In fact, I'm gonna pull that up for you!

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/11/19/are-you-making-these-mistakes-with-your-sleep/

That should give you some more ideas :)

• Like 1

Just trying to get back on my feet. :)

ApfelStrudi is out of control

Thank you, Strudi! I've tried the reading before but I switch into "close reading" mode (the curse of an English lit scholar) and then sleep is just impossible. I should try it again soon, though. Perhaps I had reading material that was too interesting. I should try reading through my textbooks for tech writing, I bet those would have me out in minutes. ;)

Sleep easily app... I must find that... Now. Hahaha! Yes, the exercise part I have covered. It's a sad state of affairs when you're thrilled to work out because it means that you'll get around 5 hours of sleep that night if you do. (And that's an improvement...)

Oh man. That article was awesome. I missed that one somehow. I've downloaded flux and already have it running. We'll see if it makes a difference tonight! I really, really hope so. I have a huge meeting early in the morning tomorrow. I have to be coherent for it, so this is not good. I don't generally handle early mornings well because I'm rarely asleep before 3am... We'll see how it goes!

The thing that has worked best for me sleeping-wise--but is also, unfortunately, the most difficult to keep up--is to get up as close to the same time as possible every morning. When I'm doing that, my body starts to get into a regular rhythm and I tend to fall asleep faster and sleep better. Usually. 

Also, no liquids a few hours before bed, to avoid late-night bathroom trips. :) 

I'm going to run off to check those apps, too. I could still use all the help I can get! 

• Like 1

The thing that has worked best for me sleeping-wise--but is also, unfortunately, the most difficult to keep up--is to get up as close to the same time as possible every morning. When I'm doing that, my body starts to get into a regular rhythm and I tend to fall asleep faster and sleep better. Usually. 

I've been doing what I can to keep a morning routine, but school has been throwing that off. I'm going to try to get back to one in the next couple weeks. Goodness knows that I need as much sleep as I can get during finals week!

I don't have the Flux one (I think it's only for iPhone) but I got a similar one and for me it's been great. It dims down your screen, too, so you don't feel like you're looking straight into the sun when reading in a dark room. I love it, hope it helped you! :)

I actually installed flux on my computer. I'm good at staying off my phone, but having to work on homework late into the night can really get to me. So far it's actually working great. I'm already feeling a lot sleepier now than I would for another 3 hours on my usual schedule! Thank you! It's helping so far!

Update time!

The last couple days have been rather eventful, so here we go!

Wednesday was another lifting day for me! Everything went quite well and I was very happy with how much the new workouts push me. They leave me with just the right amount of tiredness without pushing me into fatigue. It was a good workout day. There was another round of massive frustration thanks to school. Some of that was resolved later in the day, but it was still a very frustrating day over all. I worked on handstands a bit that evening and they helped me find a more centered part of my mind. I got in a good round of stretching that night as well. 

Today has been... an experience. The day started out in a rather rough fashion. I did not get enough sleep last night and I'm feeling completely exhausted. Finals week and all my big projects are driving me nuts. It was one of those days where all you really need is a hug and a reminder that tomorrow is a new day. By the time I got home from my lectures, I was going out of my mind. I did get a chance to talk with a friend which helped a bit. Thursdays are run days for me, so I changed clothes and hit the road. And now I have some news... I refused to stop tonight. I not only set a new PR, but I knocked my old one out of the ballpark! My new distance PR is a 6.75K run! That is an extra 1.75K to my old PR! BOOYAH! And this is only my fourth run after a 3 month break. That distance is not counting my warm up or cool down! Perhaps I was a little crazy to keep pushing... 

tumblr_mfe9qzHCOs1qlhhx4o2_500.gif

In other news, I have had THE WORST anxiety lately. It's been ridiculously hard to deal with. Thank goodness for all the working out. It's been keeping me more sane. On that note, I need to go get to bed because I have a gigantic meeting in the morning. I've been dreading this meeting for two weeks. I'm terrified out of my mind about it for many reasons that are too complicated to go into detail right now. Also, I need to try to get some rest. At the very least, it will be over tomorrow morning... For now, it's time to play the waiting game... 

tumblr_inline_mya2m9wdPI1rzyter.gif

Weekly Stats: 

Workouts- 5/5

Flexibility- 5/7

Good Night's Sleep- 2/5

Farewell for now, lovelies. Here's hoping I survive the morning!

• Like 2

Reading a manual of some sort (if you have one) might be good for falling asleep. I also can't usually read something without getting really into it but the one thing I can remember that legitimately made me tired when I read it was the driving manual before I took the first written test to get my license. If you can find something like that that's pure information and isn't a subject that excites you at all, it might help with falling asleep.

• Like 1

Half-Giant Assassin Level 9

Current Challenge: Move

Past Challenges: First Challenge, Read the Prophecy, Follow the Prophecy, Get Serious Again, Upside Down, Running, Build a Bridge, Make it Fun,

"I have not failed 10,000 times; I have successfully found 10,000 ways that don't work." - Thomas Edison

"I don't want to do it, therefore I must!" - Me

"If we win because we are a winner then when we lose it must make us a loser." - Josh Waitzkin

So looking forward to Camp Nerd Fitness, really hope I'll get to meet some fellow assassin there. Might have to be top secret though.

Reading a manual of some sort (if you have one) might be good for falling asleep. I also can't usually read something without getting really into it but the one thing I can remember that legitimately made me tired when I read it was the driving manual before I took the first written test to get my license. If you can find something like that that's pure information and isn't a subject that excites you at all, it might help with falling asleep.

That's a really brilliant idea. Holy crap! o.o I'm sure I have at least one around somewhere. Thank you! I really need more sleep in my life. xD I will read camera, laptop, or blender manuals if I have to... 

Quick update!

So the last 48 hours have given me a massive amount of respect for my body, mind and stamina. I went to bed very excited to be getting some sleep last night. Six hours later I was still trying to fall asleep... The more I tried to sleep, the more I realized that it was not going to happen- which left me laying in bed in the small hours of the morning repeating this over and over: 

tumblr_meiqbhvFVc1rmnmfuo5_250.gif

Long story short, sleep had indeed been cancelled for last night. I dozed here and there for about two hours total. But then it was time to get up and head to my meetings. However, despite the extreme exhaustion and the lack of real rest, my body and mind held up phenomenally today. The meetings went well and I even took care of some impromptu meetings and arrangements that came up. I made a great deal of headway in a final project and did some in-depth revision of my resume. 

I even went to the gym. I was going to possibly put it off depending on how my body was feeling today. However, I got a definite "go ahead" from it and ended up kicking butt with my lifts today. I even got some extra work into my routine. My form was still great and I didn't get hurt in any way. I don't even have a bruise from walking into anything today. 

Needless to say, today has left me with a much, much higher respect for my brain and my body. I wasn't quite sure that I would have the stamina to get through the day, much less get through as well as I did. I really should be thankful to both my body and my brain for getting me through today unscathed. But now I think it's time for me to give back to them. Bed is calling me with such a siren song that there is no way I can resist...

Weekly Stats: 

Workouts- 6/5

Flexibility- 6/7

Good Night's Sleep- 2/5

Farewell for now! More update stuff coming soon! 

• Like 2

Glad you made it through everything--more than just made it, powered through it!--despite the lack of sleep. You're a superhero! 

Sleep well, you've more than earned it. :) 

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines