Stooshie- The road goes ever, ever on!

Stooshie

Glad you made it through everything--more than just made it, powered through it!--despite the lack of sleep. You're a superhero! 

Sleep well, you've more than earned it. :)

Thank you! ^_^ I'm still not quite sure how I did it. Granted, remembering Friday... Everything is a little fuzzy. However, I've been getting good feedback this weekend from the work I got done on Friday, so whoo! And I did sleep so very well! 

Amazing how hobbits can rise to take on such big challenges!  Sleep really really well.

Hahaha! Yes! My goodness, it was interesting. I'm not keen to repeat that any time soon, though. Thank you! I did! :)

• Like 1

"No power in the 'verse can stop me."

Current Challenge: Stooshie is a Leaf on the Wind

Past Challenges: The road goes ever, ever on!

It's time for the weekly review!

c8bae5b2fe8939b54136761cda696af7.jpg

Saturday was a rather good day. After my extreme lack of rest on Friday, I slept very, very soundly. I did get over 7 hours of sleep, so that was lovely. Saturdays are my rest day, but while I didn't work out I did ALL THE OTHER THINGS. Plus I worked on homework for easily 8 hours that day. The end of my semester is 2 weeks away. (Which is stressing me out to no end...) Saturday night proved to be quite different and the change was desperately needed. My friend dragged me out to a formal dinner for a local fundraiser. While the food was a bit much for me since I follow a pseudo-paleo style of eating, the event itself was fun. It's also been ages since I had to dress up that much. After the event, we went to see a movie. Overall it was a very lovely night.  I also slept like the dead last night so I did end up with another night of 7 hours of sleep.

Furthermore, I did sit down and apply to 8 internships. It took me a while to revise my resume to my liking. It took even longer for me to write cover letters for all of them. However, I got through all of them and sent them all off. While I could see this as the start of the waiting game, I have three more to send out this week. I'm just going to focus on the next round I have to send out instead of growing anxious about getting replies. Which brings me to the next thing...

“It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.â€

I have spent the last week trying to figure out how best to address the dragon that I will be facing for the rest of this challenge. The next two weeks are going to be particularly difficult. I have been having the worst anxiety I've ever experienced in my life for the last year or so. For a while, I was rather good at ignoring it. However, my ability to ignore it has worn down over the last year and it is now a definite and constant problem. Part of the reason my sleeping schedule is so odd is thanks to the anxiety. I often get anxious enough that my brain and my actions nearly shut down. Sadly, it's brought on several panic attacks this semester. It's become something I need to address. This is even more pressing for the fact that my last two weeks of the semester are this week and next week. I have so many huge projects that just thinking about them starts making me panic.

This past week, I have been brainstorming about how best to deal with it and keep track of how much I worry about various things. I noticed that I worry all the time... About everything. I even worry about things that have no conceivable way of happening. This coming week I will be focusing on trying to catch myself in the act of worrying and shutting it down if at all possible. I am honestly unsure of the next step after that, however limiting my worrying should help with the anxiety a little bit. If you have any suggestions or tips about how you deal with your anxiety, please let me know. I'm looking for anything at this point. 

Weekly Stats:

Workouts- 6/5

Flexibility- 7/7

Good Night's Sleep- 4/5

Internship Applications- 8/8

Grade- A; I was short one night of sleep thanks to the night from Hades. However, it was not a bad week overall. 

Challenge Stats:

Workouts- 12/30

Flexibility- 14/42

Good Night's Sleep- 9/30

Internship Applications- 8/18

Farewell for now, lovelies! You're the best!

• Like 2

I have spent the last week trying to figure out how best to address the dragon that I will be facing for the rest of this challenge. The next two weeks are going to be particularly difficult. I have been having the worst anxiety I've ever experienced in my life for the last year or so. For a while, I was rather good at ignoring it. However, my ability to ignore it has worn down over the last year and it is now a definite and constant problem. Part of the reason my sleeping schedule is so odd is thanks to the anxiety. I often get anxious enough that my brain and my actions nearly shut down. Sadly, it's brought on several panic attacks this semester. It's become something I need to address. This is even more pressing for the fact that my last two weeks of the semester are this week and next week. I have so many huge projects that just thinking about them starts making me panic.

This past week, I have been brainstorming about how best to deal with it and keep track of how much I worry about various things. I noticed that I worry all the time... About everything. I even worry about things that have no conceivable way of happening. This coming week I will be focusing on trying to catch myself in the act of worrying and shutting it down if at all possible. I am honestly unsure of the next step after that, however limiting my worrying should help with the anxiety a little bit. If you have any suggestions or tips about how you deal with your anxiety, please let me know. I'm looking for anything at this point.

So...  I'm not a mental health professional, blah blah blah, so these are just my two cents.  I've been struggling with anxiety this year as well.  I flailed around for a while trying different things to help me get my brain back on straight.  For me, medicine has been helping a ton.  Consider talking to somebody about it.  My mindfulness habits are really helping, so I would consider learning some sort of meditation or deep breathing.  It's really good to have trained my body to chill out when I take a deep breath, especially because I can do this anywhere at any time.  It doesn't fix everything, but sometimes it can break the anxiety spiral before it gets too far out of control.  I tried counseling and stopped after I started repeatedly thinking of my counselor as "doofus face".  Not the most helpful thing for me, but now I know!  :redface-new:  Also, watching this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjbPszSt5Pc

Hang in there.  Bang up job on week 2!!!  I'm especially proud you caught up on your applications... I really need to start working on mine.  Eeps.

• Like 1

Love as thou wilt.

So...  I'm not a mental health professional, blah blah blah, so these are just my two cents.  I've been struggling with anxiety this year as well.  I flailed around for a while trying different things to help me get my brain back on straight.  For me, medicine has been helping a ton.  Consider talking to somebody about it.  My mindfulness habits are really helping, so I would consider learning some sort of meditation or deep breathing.  It's really good to have trained my body to chill out when I take a deep breath, especially because I can do this anywhere at any time.  It doesn't fix everything, but sometimes it can break the anxiety spiral before it gets too far out of control.  I tried counseling and stopped after I started repeatedly thinking of my counselor as "doofus face".  Not the most helpful thing for me, but now I know!  :redface-new:  Also, watching this...

Hang in there.  Bang up job on week 2!!!  I'm especially proud you caught up on your applications... I really need to start working on mine.  Eeps.

I second all of this. Relaxation exercises, talking to someone (professional or not), and meds can all do wonders. I have a low-grade prescription that I can take as needed when I feel a panic attack coming on, or when know I'm going into a really stressful situation. Sometimes just knowing I can take it is all I need to relax a little. Hope you find something that works for you! 

Also, great job this week! Only one night's sleep away from a perfect score. :)

• Like 1

Optimist: someone who figures that taking a step backward after taking a step forward is not a disaster, it's more like a cha-cha.

Member of CNF: TOS

Really happy to see you're still going strong with everything that's going on. I don't know if this is your kind of thing but if stress is getting you down you might get something out of this TED Talk.

• Like 1

Half-Giant Assassin Level 9

Current Challenge: Move

Past Challenges: First Challenge, Read the Prophecy, Follow the Prophecy, Get Serious Again, Upside Down, Running, Build a Bridge, Make it Fun,

"I have not failed 10,000 times; I have successfully found 10,000 ways that don't work." - Thomas Edison

"I don't want to do it, therefore I must!" - Me

"If we win because we are a winner then when we lose it must make us a loser." - Josh Waitzkin

So looking forward to Camp Nerd Fitness, really hope I'll get to meet some fellow assassin there. Might have to be top secret though.

Aw, I'm sorry to hear you've been struggling with it too! It's such a pain. :( I will definitely consider finding a professional to talk to about medicine. I used to meditate a lot and I fell out of the habit. I keep meaning to get back into it. I think I'll probably go for it for the rest of the semester to see if it starts making a difference. Yes, that spiral is the thing that's wreaking havoc at the moment. I have to learn how to get out of it since I seemed to have lost my knack for that. Hahahahahaha! That sounds like a very good reason to stop going to counseling.

That video was amazing! Oh my gosh! That's brilliant! Here's one for you! http://youtu.be/JOCtdw9FG-s

Thank you! Those took forever to catch up on, but I'm glad I did them. You can do it! The hardest part is just sitting down to do them sometimes!

I second all of this. Relaxation exercises, talking to someone (professional or not), and meds can all do wonders. I have a low-grade prescription that I can take as needed when I feel a panic attack coming on, or when know I'm going into a really stressful situation. Sometimes just knowing I can take it is all I need to relax a little. Hope you find something that works for you! 

Also, great job this week! Only one night's sleep away from a perfect score. :)

Hmmm, thank you! You've given me some good ideas of where to start. Sometimes just knowing what direction to head makes all the difference. I will try to work some more relaxation exercises into my schedule. I can see how knowing that you have the prescription if it's needed would be a huge help. 

Thank you! It was a hard week to keep up with. We can take on week three! :D

Really happy to see you're still going strong with everything that's going on. I don't know if this is your kind of thing but if stress is getting you down you might get something out of this TED Talk.

Thank you! I'm giving it all I've got. With so much other stuff going on, I know that the challenge is one of the things that I actually have control over. ;) The stress has been getting to me, yes. Thank you so much for that! I sat down and watched it twice... And then watched it again. You have also unwittingly wandered into a subject that I love. I'm a bit addicted to TED talks. When I don't have massive amounts of assignments for uni I sometimes marathon TED talks when I want a quiet night in. I'd not seen that one before. Thank you for it! I will be applying things from her talk tonight!

Yay for week three of the challenge! I'm so stoked right now I can't spell anything properly. I apologize if this update is full of the most monstrous typos you've ever seen. I promise there's a good reason for them! 

Sunday went well as far as the challenge went. I spent most of the day working on a huge feasibility report for a final project. However, I took several rounds of stretching and handstand practice because I kept getting so bored with the report. Those breaks helped me stay focused. I went for a run when I couldn't take working on the report anymore. It was an absolutely beautiful night and I got to run with hummingbirds! They were all over the flowers that grow along my run route. It was gorgeous! Plus I got more than 7 hours of sleep that night.

Monday started out a little rough because I really did just wake up on the wrong side of the bed. I made it to the gym and struggled through my lifting workout. I knocked the same workout out of the park last week, but Monday it killed me. I stretched out but I still ended up sore as anything today. The day got a little better from there, however I was exhausted from the gym that day. Then I got some AMAZING news that will be discussed in a few paragraphs. I also spent the evening with some absolutely beautiful friends. I laughed so hard that my abs are sore today. I didn't get home from hanging out with them until very, very early yesterday morning. I saw the other side of 5am before I finally got to sleep last night. Not much sleep- but I had some amazing adventures = Totally worth it. I'm still sore from laughing. :) 

Today went pretty well. I was tired (not surprisingly) for most of the day. However, I got through my classes, got a ridiculous amount of work done, got some MORE amazing news, and even went for a run. I still need to get 4 more days of good sleep for the week. (I may aim for 5 more...) I got some stretching in, went for a run and worked on handstand some more. I've extended my inversions to 35 seconds, so I'm excited! It was another lovely evening run. I saw the most gorgeous cat and a chihuahua tried to intimidate me. I acted terrified of it and the look of self-satisfaction on the little dog's face was so worth looking ridiculous for a few moments. ^_^

And now the AMAZING, STUPENDOUS news! :3 I have received two replies to my applications! One yesterday, one today! I have already arranged for an interview with one of them. That particular one would be freelance travel writing. The one I heard back from today is a MASSIVE project that would look phenomenal on a resume, if I can get it. Even more amazing... They're offering to pay me to do internship work that was broadcasted as unpaid! I am so, so, so excited! I CAN'T EVEN!

3eece19a0c8a35338d386e92d986b990.jpg

Weekly Stats:

Workouts- 3/5

Flexibility- 3/7

Good Night's Sleep- 1/5

Internship Applications- 0/3

Now it is time to sleep! Goodnight, my lovelies! :D You all rock! Here we go with week three!

• Like 3

Wow!  Congrats on the job offers!  Hopefully, that will alleviate some of the anxiety.  :)

As far as the anxiety goes, when I have successfully managed mine, I've had to rely on things like yoga, taking walks outdoors, hot baths, and making a point of not letting worries or other things occupy my headspace when I really couldn't do anything about them (yeah, I know.  Easier said than done).  But, in the end, I went for the meds.  My thought was that I could try the meds for a month, and if they didn't work, I could just get off of them with no harm.  I'm 2 weeks in, and what I'm experiencing so far is that the change is subtle, but I'm no longer having those weird, panicky, deer-in-headlights, fear-in-the-pit-of-the-stomach feelings that I had been having so often before.  And I'm not obsessing over worries and fears to the point where I'm making myself panicky and ill.  There's no shame in trying the meds if you find that other methods of managing anxiety aren't working well enough for you. 

• Like 1

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Well that's some super exciting news. Well done, you obviously earned these results.

• Like 1

Past Challenges: First Challenge, Read the Prophecy, Follow the Prophecy, Get Serious Again, Upside Down, Running, Build a Bridge, Make it Fun,

"I have not failed 10,000 times; I have successfully found 10,000 ways that don't work." - Thomas Edison

"If we win because we are a winner then when we lose it must make us a loser." - Josh Waitzkin

So looking forward to Camp Nerd Fitness, really hope I'll get to meet some fellow assassin there. Might have to be top secret though.

Wowza!

Look at you rocking EVERYTHING!

Those job news make me so happy for you. I'll be crossing my fingers for the interviews, but since you're so very enthusiastic about those projects (and please promise to come visit me if you go for the travel writing!) and many bosses want - aside from qualifications, but you'veo bviously got those or you wouldn't have got those awesome news. 

What I'm trying to say, even though my head doesn't want to let me: GO YOU! You did great and I'm proud of you :)

• Like 1

Just trying to get back on my feet. :)

ApfelStrudi is out of control

Well hello there fellow hooper! I am following you and can't wait to see what adventures you get yourself into! I am also a newly converted runner, I finished C25K in September and ran my first 5K in October. I try to run 2x a week when it's warm, and I'm just waiting for more of that around here.

I will get caught up on your challenge when I have a minute, but wanted to say hello!

• Like 1

You aren't going to get the butt you want by sitting on the one you have.
Challenges: 1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10  • 11 â€¢ 12 • 13 • Current

Aspiring Success Story: start 242     current 179.8     goal 142  |  Total Lost: 62.2 lbs  Follow me on Facebook

Half-Nymph Assassin Warrior • Level Up Club Alumni • Nerd Fitness Academy Member • Camp Nerd Fitness Attendee

That's an awesome news! :D

Thank you! I'm so stoked! :D 

Wow!  Congrats on the job offers!  Hopefully, that will alleviate some of the anxiety.  :)

As far as the anxiety goes, when I have successfully managed mine, I've had to rely on things like yoga, taking walks outdoors, hot baths, and making a point of not letting worries or other things occupy my headspace when I really couldn't do anything about them (yeah, I know.  Easier said than done).  But, in the end, I went for the meds.  My thought was that I could try the meds for a month, and if they didn't work, I could just get off of them with no harm.  I'm 2 weeks in, and what I'm experiencing so far is that the change is subtle, but I'm no longer having those weird, panicky, deer-in-headlights, fear-in-the-pit-of-the-stomach feelings that I had been having so often before.  And I'm not obsessing over worries and fears to the point where I'm making myself panicky and ill.  There's no shame in trying the meds if you find that other methods of managing anxiety aren't working well enough for you. 

Thank you! I think it will help quite a bit if they work out!

Yeah, I've not really been taking time to take care of my mental state properly lately. I've been making sure to work out and trying to get more sleep, but not much more than that. I need to make it one of my priorities again. Hah, I know those feelings you described far too well. I'm trying to work on the obsessing issue, I think if I can get that under control I should be able to address a lot of other aspects. The worrying is just so hard to stop. I will definitely keep meds as an option. Thank you!

That's awesome news on the internship front! Congrats!! Glad this week is off to such a great start for you. :)

Thanks, lady! ^_^ I'm super excited! Lol, I'm still putting in more applications. I'm having to remember that responses don't mean positions. ;) 

Well that's some super exciting news. Well done, you obviously earned these results.

Thank you, Freddy! You're awesome! Hahaha, hopefully things will work out with them! :D 

Wowza!

Look at you rocking EVERYTHING!

Those job news make me so happy for you. I'll be crossing my fingers for the interviews, but since you're so very enthusiastic about those projects (and please promise to come visit me if you go for the travel writing!) and many bosses want - aside from qualifications, but you'veo bviously got those or you wouldn't have got those awesome news. 

What I'm trying to say, even though my head doesn't want to let me: GO YOU! You did great and I'm proud of you :)

Thanks, lady! I'm giving the challenge all the determination I've got for non-uni things! Thaaaank you, I will need all the crossed fingers that I can get. Hopefully things will work out well! (Hahaha! If it does work out, I will definitely come visit you! We can hoop together! :D ) Thank  you! I'm going to keep trying! ^_^ 

Go, Stooshie, go!!!!  Also, the hamsters were ADORABLE, thanks.

Thank you! ^_^ I'm trying! Hahaha! You're most welcome! I'm in the southwest so cute animals eating tiny burritos = immediate win. 

Well hello there fellow hooper! I am following you and can't wait to see what adventures you get yourself into! I am also a newly converted runner, I finished C25K in September and ran my first 5K in October. I try to run 2x a week when it's warm, and I'm just waiting for more of that around here.

I will get caught up on your challenge when I have a minute, but wanted to say hello!

Hi, lady! ^_^ Welcome! I hope you find some entertaining stuff in here! Yay, running is so much fun! I used to hate it, but now I notice a huge change in my mood if I don't get to go for runs. Congratulations on your first 5K! Did you rock it? Also, I will send you some of our warm. -.- You can have it.

Great job getting responses already! That's half the battle!

Thank you! I'm so stoked! I'm still sending out more applications this week though. >.> I don't want to get too hopeful and lose another position while waiting to hear back from these two. 

• Like 1

As we are now over mid-way through the third week, it's time for an update! (I meant to update sooner, but it is hell week... Meaning the week before finals. Which means I have ALL THE PAPERS to do.)

First, thank you all so much! You're so sweet and so awesome! NerdFitness is really made up of the most supportive group of people I've ever met. It's amazing people like you that make this site so very wonderful. Thank you all! <3 

tumblr_m0dfq1fG3w1r5aaelo1_500.jpg

This week has been very long for me. Wednesday was good for my challenge goals. I got to the gym a little earlier than usual. I powered through my workout and added some extra work because the workout, while challenging, didn't wear me out enough to aid in sleeping that night. I got a lot of work done on Wednesday. I talked to my professor about how to respond to one of the messages I got back about an internship. After I got home from my class (it's at night), I was rather unproductive. I did get about 7 hours of sleep last night. However, I had dreams about being eaten alive by papers and assignments all night, so I'm not sure that I should count it as actual sleep. ;) 

Thursday was pretty good for the challenge as well. I got my stretching in this morning when I woke up. I got a lot of homework done on top of finishing up two assignments, helping put the finishing touches on the literary magazine that will be launched today (eep!), starting revisions a feasibility report, and editing and collating documents for my portfolio. I really do feel that I'm escaping goblins to be caught by wolves at this point. I get one thing done and have 5 more come up. The end is in sight but my brain is so tired. Unfortunately, the idea of going for a run tonight was physically revolting. I've not been feeling at my best for the last few days and I certainly didn't have the mental focus to be able to get through a run. I hooped in the backyard for about an hour instead so a workout was still accomplished. I am hoping to get at least 7 hours of sleep tonight (hopefully free of human-eating papers).

My brain is rapidly approaching the level of tiredness where -everything- is hilarious for no apparent reason, MOAR SLEEP! Also I have a launch party for the magazine to go to tomorrow. I don't like large gatherings of people without a friend with me. I have mentioned it to some of my friends, but I am not sure if any of them are going to show up. We'll see! 

Weekly Stats:

Workouts- 5/5

Flexibility- 5/7

Good Night's Sleep- 3/5

Internship Applications- 0/3

Farewell for now, lovelies! Keep up the amazing work!

• Like 3

Not going for a run is totally understandable - your life sounds really hectic right now! And we don't want you to catch a cold so close to your exams. And you've already got your workouts squared away with 3 more days to go, so don't worry about it. You can still go for a run today or tomorrow :) 

Good idea talking to your professor about the internships!

• Like 1

Just trying to get back on my feet. :)

ApfelStrudi is out of control

Oh god, I remember hell week. Few things are so aptly named...

You're doing great balancing sleep, fitness, and schoolwork during such a crazy time. Don't overstress about missing one run! :)  You're going to get through this, and then the rest of the challenge will seem like a walk in the park! 

Don't forget to rest, and to take a little time to decompress when you need to. And keep being awesome! 

• Like 1

Optimist: someone who figures that taking a step backward after taking a step forward is not a disaster, it's more like a cha-cha.

Member of CNF: TOS

You're still doing awesome and it doesn't look like you're going to stop. I just hope you remember to give yourself time to relax. I don't know if you have the time to take significant breaks aside from working out but sometimes when you're working hard and stressing out, just remind yourself to relax while you work. It doesn't even have to mean slowing down, just take some time to look at what you're doing and think calmly about the most efficient approach. Sometimes we think so hard about how to do everything at once when stress and urgency start building up and it actually slows us down.

• Like 1

Not going for a run is totally understandable - your life sounds really hectic right now! And we don't want you to catch a cold so close to your exams. And you've already got your workouts squared away with 3 more days to go, so don't worry about it. You can still go for a run today or tomorrow :)

Good idea talking to your professor about the internships!

Thanks, Strudi! Life is definitely crazy at the moment. If I can make it through this week, I'll be fine. It's going to be hard to stick to the challenge till I get all my finals done, though. I'll be going for a run tonight! Hahaha, thank you. I have to talk to her because I was asked about my rates for some things that I have nooooo idea how to answer. :)

Oh god, I remember hell week. Few things are so aptly named...

You're doing great balancing sleep, fitness, and schoolwork during such a crazy time. Don't overstress about missing one run! :)  You're going to get through this, and then the rest of the challenge will seem like a walk in the park! 

Don't forget to rest, and to take a little time to decompress when you need to. And keep being awesome! 

Hahaha! Oh, yes. I've been doing more writing in the last week than I did in the entire first half of the semester!

Thank you! I'm afraid the balance of sleep vs. all the things got really off this week. I'm just promising myself that I'll make up for the lack of sleep on Thursday, Friday and Saturday of this week... And yes, it really will be. I'm considering adding some other life goals in after I'm done with school because I'll have more time on my hands. 

Thank you, lady! I'm trying! There will possibly be some decompressing tonight. (Hopefully... I really need it.) Although my friends have been helping a lot with the stress levels as well!

You are doing a good job keeping up with your goals despite finals stress!   Bien hecho!

I don't know if you are a doctor who fan or not, but voila!

Thanks! They're giving me something else to think about other than drafts, revisions, editing and ohmygodohmygodwheretheheckismyportfolio?!... Muchas gracias! Estoy muy cansada ahora. Nesecito mas tiempo para relajarme! ;) 

.... I LOVE DOCTOR WHO!!!!!!! Oh my gosh, don't get me started.... Whovian through and through right here. That was phenomenal. xD Thank you. I needed that so much. I think I will keep it up on my browser permanently this week!

You're still doing awesome and it doesn't look like you're going to stop. I just hope you remember to give yourself time to relax. I don't know if you have the time to take significant breaks aside from working out but sometimes when you're working hard and stressing out, just remind yourself to relax while you work. It doesn't even have to mean slowing down, just take some time to look at what you're doing and think calmly about the most efficient approach. Sometimes we think so hard about how to do everything at once when stress and urgency start building up and it actually slows us down.

Thanks, Freddy! I'm trying to take time to relax here and there. That's an excellent reminder. I really do need to try to relax while I'm working. I'm usually thinking about other assignments while working on one particular assignment. It doesn't help me focus. You keep reminding me of all the important things. :) Thank you so much. It can be easy to forget them when trying to deal with so many things at once. 

• Like 2

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines