Erick the Red: Get Fit to Fight

Erick the Red

Mission: Get in the right physical shape to handle at least weekly practices in heavy armored combat with my local group of the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA).

That means I will not fit in the stereotypical monk mold that I have seen here at NF.

Sabhuti Shanardanda

Less this.

King Arthur

More this.

During the last half of my previous challenge I floundered pretty badly, because I did not have a clear motivational mission, and also (probably mostly) because I had a really bad time at work, that bled into my personal and fitness life.  I think I have my life a little more balanced now, and I will be going back to something that has worked for me in the past: daily tasks.

1.  Every day, at least twenty minutes of exercise.

Examples: body-weight circuit training, sledgehammer HIIT, or running, with hiking no more than once per week.  I plan to specifically get my shoulders strengthened to handle holding up my shield and sword for long bouts.

2. Every day, only eat foods that are intentional (that is, planned) rather than impulsive (that is, driven by emotion or temporary craving).  So a treat is all right, if it is something that I planned at least a day in advance and preferably have with other people.

3. Every day, carve out some personal time for meditation/prayer/scripture study.  I did this in an earlier challenge and I miss the clarity.

I have an application on my phone to help track, and I plan to post here near-daily.

Thanks for reading.

• Like 1

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Hey, no hate here. We love the western styles in this place. SCA's a ton of fun, or so I've been led to believe.

Thanks.  I am just getting into the armored combatI did rapier some years ago, but took a few years off because things got busy and I couldn't find the time.  Now I am making the time.

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Oooo, SCA.

I know someone who has a blast doing rapier fighting in SCA.  The pictures always look awesome!

Good goals!  I hear you on the planned food - my life is so much easier when I plan my meals ~24 hours ahead of time.  Especially with treats.  Okay, sometimes I cheat and I make sure I have enough free calories left over that I could sneak something in.  Probably not the best habit to get into...  Anyway, nice goals! 

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

I was the biggest swishypoke* years ago in the SCA. People kept wondering why I didn't get into heavy fighting, and the answer was simple: no armor. Sorry!  Still, good challenge, look forward to watching you go all 300 on people.

* swishypoke is what the "heavy fighters" call the rapier fighters.

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

Found you! Wasn't sure if you were doing this challenge or not.  I'm glad you found some motivation to get you going this challenge. I checked out that website a little bit SCA looks awesome!  Good luck :)

Thanks.  I haven't posted very much on your previous challenge, it looks like you are doing better recently.  Last month was a bear for a lot of us!

Oooo, SCA.

I know someone who has a blast doing rapier fighting in SCA.  The pictures always look awesome!

Good goals!  I hear you on the planned food - my life is so much easier when I plan my meals ~24 hours ahead of time.  Especially with treats.  Okay, sometimes I cheat and I make sure I have enough free calories left over that I could sneak something in.  Probably not the best habit to get into...  Anyway, nice goals! 

Thanks for the encouragement about the goals.  I am all right with occasional treats -- if I am eating really wel lthe reast of the time.  I just use food as an emotional crutch sometimes, and I am trying to pull out of that pit (again).

I was the biggest swishypoke* years ago in the SCA. People kept wondering why I didn't get into heavy fighting, and the answer was simple: no armor. Sorry!  Still, good challenge, look forward to watching you go all 300 on people.

* swishypoke is what the "heavy fighters" call the rapier fighters.

Swishypoke is what heavy fighters call rapier fighters, among other things.  I got into rapier at first for much the same reason -- lower initial investment required, and also I am not very big or athletic, so there really is no way for me to compete at the higher levels. 

I appreciate the fact that you will check in occasionally. 

Sword swingers are totally welcome around here.  Welcome to the Monks!

Thank you.  I feel welcome.

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Hello there. It's so good to see you here for this challeneg! 

I'll be following your progress on the HIIT and the meditation practice in particular because I've both HIIT and meditation goals this time around! Keep her lit!!!

Race/Class: Level 4 Hiberno-Amazon Ranger

STR = 13, DEX =3, STA = 11, CON =8, WIS = 13 , CHA = 8

First challenge:late-but-willing-to-try/

Second challenge:clearing-a-path-to-greatness/

Third challenge:stronger and braver

Current challenge:tightening the screws

Monday, 14 April

1. Every day, at least twenty minutes of exercise. 1/42

Early morning after ironing my work shirt and before breakfast: Rowing machine warmup, two circuits of bodyweight squats, diamond pushups, and chinups (didn't push it to hard since I have been lazy recently), and then some mobility work.

2. Every day, only eat foods that are intentional rather than impulsive. 1/42

Walked past the treats at the office, and drove past the fast food places on the way home from work.  Had some ice cream with family game night, but that was part of the plan.

3. Every day, carve out some personal time for meditation/prayer/scripture study. 1/42

Made time in the morning and the afternoon.

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Oh, I footnoted it for everyone else. :) I'm 6'4" and kinda big all over, so people kept thinking I wandered into the wrong event.

But with arms like that you should be doing rapier!  Good for you.

Thanks!  Things are definitely looking up for me, and it looks like for you as well.  Last month is in the past, onward & upward!

Things are looking sideways for me (neither up nor down) but I am making a change inside of me because nothing is going to get better on the outside anytime soon.  Onward and upward!

Hello there. It's so good to see you here for this challenge! 

I'll be following your progress on the HIIT and the meditation practice in particular because I've both HIIT and meditation goals this time around! Keep her lit!!!

Great to hear from you again!  I will do my best.

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Thanks.  I am just getting into the armored combatI did rapier some years ago, but took a few years off because things got busy and I couldn't find the time.  Now I am making the time.

Just took a second to read the wiki article. Really, Really cool. You should post some videos if you have them.

Out of curiosity, how long do fights usually last? And have you put together your armor yet? If not then of course SV suggest a Black Knight theme.

MMA Sessions Completed for this Challenge

65%
65%

Lifting Sessions Complete For this Challenge

64%
64%

Level 2 Yeti Monk Str: 3 Dex:2 Sta:4 Con:3 Wis:2 Cha:2 

SuperVillain's full origin story: http://goo.gl/23F7WK

Out of curiosity, how long do fights usually last? And have you put together your armor yet? If not then of course SV suggest a Black Knight theme.

Bouts can last between one second (*Bop!* "You need to protect your head better.") to a minute.  Any longer than that and the combatants are drooping pretty badly.  Similar to what you might see in point sparring in karate if you are familiar with that, except that you can lose limbs before the killing blow to the torso or head.

A lot of my "armor" is under my tunic since I am fighting as a viking. 

shield_wards.jpg

Just purchased elbows and knees today, metal "cops" that are attached to elbow and knee pads and go underneath, since most of the not-rich vikings did not fight with armor besides a helm (of they could get one) and shield.

Sp%2010g.JPG?height=400&width=266&width=

This is my helmet.  I bought it from Knotwolf Armory.

I am making a traditional wooden round shield. I have the metal boss for the center, and am gathering the plywood, wood for the handle, and the rawhide and sinew for the edging.

• Like 2

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Tuesday, 15 April

1. Every day, at least twenty minutes of exercise. 2/42

Early morning rowing machine warmup, shoulder strengthening by holding two dumbbells, one in a high guard and the other going through a curl, overhead press, forward press, lateral raise, repeated ten times.  Switch sides.  Burpees.  Back to the shoulders.  More burpees. 

2. Every day, only eat foods that are intentional rather than impulsive. 2/42

Walked past the fancy bread laid out for the meeting at the facility we were visiting.  Passed up the ice cream that the kids were having.  Made a smoothie with vanilla protein powder, frozen strawberries, and a little milk that is my ice cream substitute.  Not exactly intentional, but better than the alternative.

3. Every day, carve out some personal time for meditation/prayer/scripture study. 2/42

Made time in the morning and the afternoon.

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

You do the best that you can, right? I mean, better to have indulged in something healthy as a result of a willpower lapse rather than something that wasn't good for you or your goals, right?

That was the logic at the time.  I am all right with it -- my dinner was a little protein light, so that was good too.

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Ah, I'm doing mindful eating as part of a side challenge in Scouts. It's really interesting (okay, I'm only on Day Two, but still . . .), the whole process of stopping, asking myself "Am I actually hungry or am I just bored?" and "If I am hungry, is this food I'm craving really the best choice?".

Good stuff! I had some crummy personal-life stuff last Challenge as well, but here's to putting that behind us and riding triumphantly off into the future (looking fabulous, of course!).

Level 9 * Eladrin Scout

Clan: Mek'het   *   Covenant: Invictus

"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered.

An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered."

––G. K. Chesterton

Ah, I'm doing mindful eating as part of a side challenge in Scouts. It's really interesting (okay, I'm only on Day Two, but still . . .), the whole process of stopping, asking myself "Am I actually hungry or am I just bored?" and "If I am hungry, is this food I'm craving really the best choice?".

Good stuff! I had some crummy personal-life stuff last Challenge as well, but here's to putting that behind us and riding triumphantly off into the future (looking fabulous, of course!).

My problem is I would stop and ask myself those questions, and still eat the junk.  I think I am on the upswing now, and NF helps.

You probably always look fabulous.  I need to put a metal bucket over my head first (see above).

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

I don't have a lot to say about the armored combat except: Cool!

So I say thus. Thusly.

• Like 1

I don't have a lot to say about the armored combat except: Cool!

So I say thus. Thusly.

So let it me written.  So let it be done.

That's super exciting that you're making your own shield!  I can't wait to see the finished product.

Also it looks like you're off to a great start these first two day. I agree with Kishi, it might not have been exactly planned but it was certainly mindful.

I am excited too.  I will post pictures for sure.

I have exited out some of the drama these past few days, as this is a family show.  But I am going to do better this challenge -- I have to.

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Very nice helmet. And thanks to your link I now know a lot more about Viking shields than I did before. Sounds like fun (The modern version, not the early one)

Level 8 : Wizard Blacksmith 

[ STR 6 | DEX 6 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 10 | CHA 4 ]

Jakkals, 2019 nommer 3

Spoiler

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast

and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has

ordained that you shall live.

-Marcus Aurelius

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines