Hermione Crusher disarms pants-tightening gnomes while flying

Overall Goal

My first challenge was focused on getting my pants to fit.  Now that many pairs of them do, I want to make sure I banish those gnomes that sneak into my closet during the quiet, still night and use their tailoring skills to make unexpected alterations.  I want to do this while increasing my ability to fly through the air under my own propulsion.

Subgoals

1. Continue to improve my diet by increasing to 75% of my meals following paleo principles:  I was very skeptical of the paleo diet when I started my first challenge 7 weeks ago.  I am not a complete convert right now, but oh my goodness, what a difference eating 60-70% of my meals as part of a paleo plan has made.  It takes a lot of planning and time to eat this way, and so realistically 75% is going to be a challenging, yet attainable goal for me.  I want to learn new paleo recipes while continuing to eat AND loose weight at the same time!  Please feel free to provide suggestions for easy meal recipes.

2. Continue healthy habits learned in my previous challenge, which includes working out 4 times a week and logging all food and exercise: Increasing to working out 4 times a week has been great!  I definitely want to keep that up, and want to keep logging all my food intake and exercise.  Depending on how this challenge goes, I might be at a point at the end where I don't need to log every single calorie, but for now, this really makes me think about what I am putting into my body, and helps me track which meals were paleo and which weren't.

3. Get Faster! I have a love-hate relationship with running.  I love the way I feel when running, but I hate what the scale looks like after long, steady-state runs.  I recently joined a running class where I am learning about the massive benefits of interval training.  On the first day of class we did a timed mile and my time was 7:14.  I would like to get down under 7, and sometime during the course of this challenge, I'd like to sign up for another race and hopefully PR (I PR'd y 4 minutes in the Cherry Blossom 10 miler in April--woo hoo!).  I will be posting details of my running class and will welcome encouragement of any kind! 

I am super excited to be joining the scouts guild.  Can't wait to start flying!!

Starting Stats: 158.2 pounds, waist at belly button: 33",

natural waist: 30.5", lower abs: 36", hips: 38.5",

R thigh: 23", L thigh: 22.5", chest: 33",

R arm: 12", L arm: 11.75"

Mile Time: 7:14

10 mile race pace: 8:17

• Like 3

HermioneCrusher: Level 4 Human Witch Scout

Current Challenge: HermioneCrusher conjures new food

Previous Challenges: 4 3 2 1

STR 5 | DEX 7 | STA 12 | CON 4 | WIS 7 | CHA 4

7:14 was the exact time of one of my recent timed miles, too! Unlike yourself, though, I don't foresee getting down under 7 (but I'm focusing more on distance, right now). Something you said that I don't understand: "I hate what the scale looks like after long, steady-state runs". Not sure what you mean by that?

I'm looking forward to hearing updates about your running class. Good luck on all your goals!! :)

Hi, and welcome to Scouts.

I'm a big fan of interval training and I think it's a good way to go to boost your speed, so I'm liking this plan.

• Like 1

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

I hate scales, they tell you something that you think is useful but most of the time it isn't. They are tricksy. I like running though, so I'm on board with this one.

• Like 1

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

7:14 was the exact time of one of my recent timed miles, too! Unlike yourself, though, I don't foresee getting down under 7 (but I'm focusing more on distance, right now). Something you said that I don't understand: "I hate what the scale looks like after long, steady-state runs". Not sure what you mean by that?

I'm looking forward to hearing updates about your running class. Good luck on all your goals!! :)

Cool about the same mile time!  :)

Oh, I see how that line about hating the scale didn't make sense to anyone but me, and perhaps one or two who followed my last challenge.  I struggle with maintaining my weight, and have found that going for long, slow-ish runs doesn't do a whole lot for weight loss for me.  Some articles on this site have given some interesting explanations for that effect, so it was nice to know that I'm not the only one who has this problem!  Good luck with your training, I'll hop on over to your thread and check it out!

• Like 1

I hate scales, they tell you something that you think is useful but most of the time it isn't. They are tricksy. I like running though, so I'm on board with this one.

Agree with you about scales!  Definitely learning to focus less on that number and more on how I feel and how well my clothing fits.

• Like 1

When you get your closet clear could you come work on mine? I'm pretty sure I have an infestations of gnomes as well!! :o

Good luck on your goals :) If you need any Paleo tips I follow the principles fairly closely on the day-to-day and last challenge I did a strict Whole30 plan, so I have some good recipes. Also don't miss the Paleo/Primal board out in Nutrition and Fitness!

Level 7 DINOSAUR Scout
STR: 9 - CON: 12 - DEX: 6 - STA: 10 - WIS: 16 - CHA: 11
Current Challenge
Scouts Base Camp
Scouts Tavern

Gasp!

I kind of feel like we need to start a 'Hermione kicking butt' gang...

Good luck on the challenge!!

/warriorout

• Like 1

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

So how old are your kids, HC?

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

When you get your closet clear could you come work on mine? I'm pretty sure I have an infestations of gnomes as well!! :o

Good luck on your goals :) If you need any Paleo tips I follow the principles fairly closely on the day-to-day and last challenge I did a strict Whole30 plan, so I have some good recipes. Also don't miss the Paleo/Primal board out in Nutrition and Fitness!

Ha ha,  I hear if you swing the gnomes around above your head and throw them, they get disoriented and have a hard time finding their way back.  But you have to catch them first!  :)

I would LOVE some Paleo tips.  Paleo was completely new to me as of the first challenge.  I would love to hear some of your tried and true recipes.  I've tried some that didn't work out very well.  Bonus if they are family friendly and easy to prepare.  Thanks for pointing me to the message board, I hadn't looked at it.

Gasp!

I kind of feel like we need to start a 'Hermione kicking butt' gang...

Good luck on the challenge!!

/warriorout

Sweet, another Hermione! w00t!

So how old are your kids, HC?

I have 5 year old twin boys.  They keep me pretty busy, but they make life interesting.  It is amazing to watch them play.  Whenever they run, it is as hard as they can go.  When I told one of my sons about running, and showed him my easy run pace, he looked at me, confused, and asked, "Mommy, why wouldn't you run as fast as you can??" 

• Like 2

I had some pretty epic interval training tonight.  Today, the weather in my area went from cloudy and 78F to pouring buckets and 47F in the space of 3 hours.  Luckily I had this run class already scheduled, so I couldn't bail.  We did some warm-ups, and then did 5 sets of 1 minute @ 5K speed, one minute rest, then 5 sets of 2 minutes @5K speed, two minutes rest, then back to 5 sets of 1 minute on/off.  There is someone else in the class who is just about my pace (a little slower), so we did the workout together.  It was nice having someone to do it with, especially since it was raining and windy.  I'd push him to go faster, but he'd help me with pacing.  This gentleman is in his 50's and isn't quite in top running shape right now, so I wonder how hard I should be pushing/encouraging him to go faster.  Thoughts?  When we are doing intervals for distance I tend to do my own pace, but this workout lent itself nicely to doing it with someone else.  Running with another person is not something I've done--it's trickier than I would have thought.  Happy for ideas.

• Like 1

I have 5 year old twin boys. They keep me pretty busy, but they make life interesting. It is amazing to watch them play. Whenever they run, it is as hard as they can go. When I told one of my sons about running, and showed him my easy run pace, he looked at me, confused, and asked, "Mommy, why wouldn't you run as fast as you can??"

Such a little boy question! Does he know the story of the tortoise and the hare? It's really good to see the energy and enthusiasm they have at that age. Long may it last! So do they have bikes? Probably if you want them to come along with you in a run that's a better bet for keeping going over the distance, is it?

Hrm... encouraging and pushing would be ok, I think, so long as you see that he's not afraid to say no. I've seen 80 year olds who run better than most.

Good call.  During one of our breaks he said he needed to walk (as opposed to slow jog) to catch his wind, so I'll take that, and his warnings about not going out too fast, to mean that he knows his limits.

Such a little boy question! Does he know the story of the tortoise and the hare? It's really good to see the energy and enthusiasm they have at that age. Long may it last! So do they have bikes? Probably if you want them to come along with you in a run that's a better bet for keeping going over the distance, is it?

I will have to tell him tortoise and the hare!  We haven't done bikes yet, just trikes.  It is an overwhelming thought to me to try to go running with the both of them along with me at this point.  They're still likely to go out into the street if I don't have eyes on them at all times.  Perhaps I could rig up some sort of harness and rope system to keep them close to me?  :)

My Paleo Tips!

- Always plan ahead! Meal plan and go to the store with a grocery list. Everysingletime!

- Try new things. There was soooo much stuff I was positive I didn't like and would never like no matter how it was prepared, and I was totally blown away. I don't know if I've been more thoughtful in preparation or my taste has changed a bit as I have cut out certain foods.

- Read every recipe website you can get your hands on for new ideas. Nom Nom Paleo is a great choice, and PaleoParents.com might really suit you since they specify which parts of the recipe little ones can help with.

As far as my favorite recipes, they are almost all very "easy" what-you-see-is-what-you-get recipes because I don't do food processors or anything like that, and I don't really buy "replacement" stuff like almond flour or coconut milk (more out of laziness than principle.) As far as how 5-year-old friendly they are, you will have to decide on that!!

Slow cooker pot roast

Bacon and apple stuffed (or topped) pork chops

Pineapple and bacon wrapped chicken

Lots of skillet-type meals (meat, veggies, fat, fruit thrown in a skillet)

Zucchini noodles - I don't have a spiral slicer or julienne peeler, I just use a mandoline and then cut up the slices to my taste

Any meal that presents itself as meat+veggies (steak+asparagus, chicken+broccoli, salmon+carrots, etc) - I often use pico de gallo or sauteed mushroom on top for more "special"

Anything cooked with salsa or marinara... yuuum!

Homemade soups (I usually make vegetable, or chicken and vegetable)

Sweet potato anything

Meat cut up and cooked well to keep in the fridge for fast protein

Burgers without a bun are a great treat!

For more creative recipes see if you can look up @Silverwitch around the forums - lots of awesome paleo knowledge in that brain!!

• Like 2

Level 7 DINOSAUR Scout
Current Challenge
Scouts Base Camp
Scouts Tavern

My Paleo Tips!

- Always plan ahead! Meal plan and go to the store with a grocery list. Everysingletime!

- Try new things. There was soooo much stuff I was positive I didn't like and would never like no matter how it was prepared, and I was totally blown away. I don't know if I've been more thoughtful in preparation or my taste has changed a bit as I have cut out certain foods.

- Read every recipe website you can get your hands on for new ideas. Nom Nom Paleo is a great choice, and PaleoParents.com might really suit you since they specify which parts of the recipe little ones can help with.

As far as my favorite recipes, they are almost all very "easy" what-you-see-is-what-you-get recipes because I don't do food processors or anything like that, and I don't really buy "replacement" stuff like almond flour or coconut milk (more out of laziness than principle.) As far as how 5-year-old friendly they are, you will have to decide on that!!

Slow cooker pot roast

Bacon and apple stuffed (or topped) pork chops

Pineapple and bacon wrapped chicken

Lots of skillet-type meals (meat, veggies, fat, fruit thrown in a skillet)

Zucchini noodles - I don't have a spiral slicer or julienne peeler, I just use a mandoline and then cut up the slices to my taste

Any meal that presents itself as meat+veggies (steak+asparagus, chicken+broccoli, salmon+carrots, etc) - I often use pico de gallo or sauteed mushroom on top for more "special"

Anything cooked with salsa or marinara... yuuum!

Homemade soups (I usually make vegetable, or chicken and vegetable)

Sweet potato anything

Meat cut up and cooked well to keep in the fridge for fast protein

Burgers without a bun are a great treat!

For more creative recipes see if you can look up @Silverwitch around the forums - lots of awesome paleo knowledge in that brain!!

Thanks for all the great ideas!!  I am totally the same way about buying replacement ingredients.  It's like, I'd have to learn how to use all this new stuff.  Easier to just do what I'm familiar with.  I have checked out the recipe sites, but a lot of them have so many recipes that I feel overloaded and don't know where to start.  If you have links for recipes for the Slow cooker pot roast, Bacon and apple stuffed (or topped) pork chops, or Pineapple and bacon wrapped chicken I'd love to see them!  If not I can probably find them by googling around.

800 meter intervals at run class tonight!  I was shooting for 3:40's and 8 repeats.  I started off a little slow (3:45 for two repeats) but then I was able to bring it down to 3:42 and 3:41 for the next 5 repeats.  I tried to kick it up a notch on my last one and finished in 3:36.  Nice to finish strong!  But it kind of makes me wonder if I need to be pushing harder on the earlier intervals.  I just don't want to go out too fast and then be struggling.  It was a nice change to not be running in the rain! 

After run class I had to go finish a doubles tennis match that got rained out last week.  Too much rain!  I was pretty wiped from the interval training, but managed to do OK.  There were lots of balls that I would normally have chased down that I didn't go for.  But we pulled it out in a match tiebreak in the end, so yay!  Great exercise night all around!!  :)

• Like 2

WOW!! You were crazy active today! Way to go!

Okay, bacon and apple stuffed pork chops were actually from PaleoParents: http://paleoparents.com/2011/stuffed-pork-chops/

I did have to pocket my chops myself and it wasn't too hard. Other thoughts:
I forgot the onion but it was still good. I think the onion would be nice though.
For the love of god do NOT use lard or oil of any description. Bacon and pork makes a plenty rich meal on its own.
I cooked the apples down too far and missed the crisp acid. I'd watch those closely.

1898105_10152226813006387_1117941969_n.j

The other two recipes were mine, and therefore Easy easy. (And approximate and disorganized)

My pot roast:
A nice roast, I usually use bottom but honestly it's all about what's there and a good size for my needs.
Season him!! I use garlic salt, onion powder, and black pepper. Make sure your seasonings aren't full of extra chemical stuffs.
Plop this in your slow cooker with, mmm, a few inches of chicken stock/broth (if you don't make it at home [i often dont] read the labels at the store and grab the thing with no junk in it.)
I use chicken instead I beef broth because I like what it does to the veggies. Either would serve, though.
First veggie in is minced garlic (from the jar is okay) maybe about a tablespoon. Make sure some stays on the roast and some flavors the broth. Next toss some chopped onions, with the same distribution. About half a sweet onion.
Now throw in about a stalk of celery chopped and as many baby carrots as your family will eat with however much roast you bought.
Cook on low ~8 - 10 hours, or about 6 on high.
I throw sliced white mushrooms in and stir veggies at about 1 hour before it's done.
Serve sliced or pulled, with or without the jus.
Basically any starchy thing could be added to this with great success, I imagine. Tubers and whatnot.
Summary:
A your-family sized roast (like bottom roast)
Garlic
Onion
Celery
Carrot
White mushrooms
Non-junky broth/stock, beef or chicken to your preference

1958539_10152264666831387_1194098108_n.j

DEEP BREATH

Pineapple bacon chicken

Procure most excellent chicken tenders. Breasts or thighs or... Well, probably any part would do. I like tenders.
Buy a pineapple, or sliced pineapple (again, if it's in a can check that label!!)
Bacon .... Mmmmmmm bacon. Again (broken Paleo record) you want to check that label. The perfect bacon is like, essentially a recently killed pig. You probably won't find that. Try to avoid sugar and nitrates, and make the best choice you can.
You need some cayenne pepper and paprika for this one. Ground ancho pepper is nice too because it's a pretty color. (You can forgo all pepper if your family doesn't dig it)

Season your chicken LIGHTLY. Paprika for color and maybe some garlic or onion powder.
Cut pineapple to create half-moon slices. One slice on top of each tender, or if you have thighs or breasts, whatever shape fits. Just top your chicken.
Wrap it all up in bacon. I used tender+crescent pineapple+a bacon slice halved and made into an "X" to hold it in place. A simple wrap would work as well.
Spicy!! Add some cayenne and/or ancho, then finish with paprika for good color.
Place in large bakeware (don't let them touch) and cook at 350*F so the bacon doesn't burn. I put some extra pineapple juice in the bakeware to keep it all moist. I don't recommend covering as the bacon won't crisp well.
Be patient; remember that chicken needs to cook through. Maybe 30 - 40 minutes? Just keep an eye on it and check one before serving.

1525397_10152266404156387_354031060_n.jp

Photos added.

BY the way, going back through my pictures made me think of one more tip: forget about any food belonging to some time of day. Nothing is "breakfast food" or "dessert" or whatever. If you can eat it, eat it whenever you want to!! I have eggs and bacon for dinner aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllll the time.

EDIT: Upon consideration I think tenders would be best for the chicken. Breasts and especially thighs would probably take too long to cook in comparison to the bacon. I definitely wouldn't recommend anything bone-in.

• Like 1

Level 7 DINOSAUR Scout
Current Challenge
Scouts Base Camp
Scouts Tavern

I will have to tell him tortoise and the hare! We haven't done bikes yet, just trikes. It is an overwhelming thought to me to try to go running with the both of them along with me at this point. They're still likely to go out into the street if I don't have eyes on them at all times. Perhaps I could rig up some sort of harness and rope system to keep them close to me? :)

Yep, and get some roller skates and have them tow you along like a team of huskies.
  • Like 1

That run/tennis day sounds amazing. Oh and I'm enjoying Kailer's paleo tips too.

BY the way, going back through my pictures made me think of one more tip: forget about any food belonging to some time of day. Nothing is "breakfast food" or "dessert" or whatever. If you can eat it, eat it whenever you want to!! I have eggs and bacon for dinner aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllll the time.

EDIT: Upon consideration I think tenders would be best for the chicken. Breasts and especially thighs would probably take too long to cook in comparison to the bacon. I definitely wouldn't recommend anything bone-in.

Goodness, Kailer!!  Thank you SO much for going above and beyond with all your paleo recipes, and photos!  They look amazing, I can't wait to try them!  I think this week will be mostly focused on using up the left-over ham from Easter, but I am really looking forward to starting to experiment with these next week.

Yep, and get some roller skates and have them tow you along like a team of huskies.

LOL.  :-D

That run/tennis day sounds amazing. Oh and I'm enjoying Kailer's paleo tips too.

I am still being reminded of it every time I walk.  Hamstrings are still a little sore, and yesterday was downright painful (in a good way).  Hopefully they'll recover for tomorrow's longish run!

End of first week!  Here's my summary:

1. Continue to improve my diet by increasing to 75% of my meals following paleo principles:  I fell just short of this, coming in at 20/28 meals Paleo.  I was stymied by the cupcakes at an office cookout and a couple of dinners prepared by my mom who was visiting.  Overall I was happy with my eating.  Except I ate too much on Easter.  According to the scale I gained 4 pounds in 2 days, which is kind of mind boggling since my caloric intake for the week was under what I am shooting for to lose a pound a week.  Luckily I have learned not to trust the scale...but it is frustrating nonetheless.  Pants still fit, so I guess I'm OK!

2. Continue healthy habits learned in my previous challenge, which includes working out 4 times a week and logging all food and exercise: Technically I only exercised three days this week, but I am counting it as 4 exercise sessions since I had a run class and tennis match on the same day.  I had planned to do a strength training workout the following day, but  my hamstrings were in bad shape so I decided to take a rest day instead.  I did log all of my food and exercise!

3. Get Faster! Just realizing this isn't a goal I can easily measure by week, although my 800 repeats from Thursday resulted 4 miles run at a 7:20 pace, and that is definitely a PR for 4 miles for me.  My timed mile occurs next Tuesday, so we'll see!

I'd been feeling great, and then after my long run yesterday I started having pain on the ball of my right foot.  Ugh!  I definitely don't want to get injured, so I'm trying to figure out how careful I need to be with this injury.  Any words of wisdom from experienced runners?

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines