• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Radulf Wilhelmson

Miyamoto - On The Fringes Of The Forest

Miyamoto -  On The Fringes Of The Forest

My Main Goal :

To be honest, this time I have no idea what to take for my main goal. There is no specific thing I want to improve or achieve. Only this imprecise "Get In Better Shape".

After taking things easy in the last challenge, now I feel the urge to get a litte more physical again, running out of the forest every now and then. Something more CrossFit-BodyWeight-Ranger-Assassin like. Now in spring nature gets energetic, so I have to get energetic too. I think it's a good idea to follow the Primal-Blueprint approach concerning physical exercise for this time.

My Missions:

Body
- sprint once a week,  20/10sec sprint/rest intervall, four times

- BBW workout, three times a week, three circuits.

- Moving frequently at slow pace 3 to 5 hours a week

- stick to my morning routine of Baduanjin ,early morning on working days

- stick to cutback on intake of sweets, soda and alcohol

Mind

- Tree Of The Week:

I.e. learning the characteristics of a regional species of a tree, one per week and, if possible, visit at least one individual of this type of plant in nature. (Considering the fact, that I'm a skilled biologist, I have to shamefully admit my ignorance of phytology, especially trees. An absolute NOGO, also for a druid!)

Soul

- meditate for five minutes each in the morning and in the afternoon, every day.

Greets to all of you and have big success in this new challenge!

Miyamoto

This first week's Tree Of The Week is the Mapletree (in german: Ahorn).

There are three different species here in Germany: Norway-, field- and sycamore maple (Spitz-, Feld and Berg-Ahorn).

So a lot to learn for Miyamoto's poor little brain...Perhaps I have to shapeshift for a bigger one. Maybe a bit like this:

bigbrain.jpg

I am a biologist too, and I... well... I don't hate botany, but I very, very stronglike dislike it.  I loved trees and plants, don't get me wrong, but man they are complicated... so you are definitely not alone.  Subbing, so I can learn along with you (hopefully).

Miyamoto - On The Fringes Of The Forest

My Main Goal :

To be honest, this time I have no idea what to take for my main goal. There is no specific thing I want to improve or achieve. Only this imprecise "Get In Better Shape".

After taking things easy in the last challenge, now I feel the urge to get a litte more physical again, running out of the forest every now and then. Something more CrossFit-BodyWeight-Ranger-Assassin like. Now in spring nature gets energetic, so I have to get energetic too. I think it's a good idea to follow the Primal-Blueprint approach concerning physical exercise for this time.

My Missions:

Body

- sprint once a week, 20/10sec sprint/rest intervall, four times

- BBW workout, three times a week, three circuits.

- Moving frequently at slow pace 3 to 5 hours a week

- stick to my morning routine of Baduanjin ,early morning on working days

- stick to cutback on intake of sweets, soda and alcohol

Mind

- Tree Of The Week:

I.e. learning the characteristics of a regional species of a tree, one per week and, if possible, visit at least one individual of this type of plant in nature. (Considering the fact, that I'm a skilled biologist, I have to shamefully admit my ignorance of phytology, especially trees. An absolute NOGO, also for a druid!)

Soul

- meditate for five minutes each in the morning and in the afternoon, every day.

Greets to all of you and have big success in this new challenge!

Miyamoto

Welcome to a new challenge!

It seems to me that your main goal is to listen to your body :-)

If all goes as you plan you will be spending a lot of time working out.

How will you go about limiting sweets, soda and alcohol?

Namaste!

Hi all, thank you for your comments and support!

@ Whimsica: Birds? Maybe you'll like this.

@Nirvi: Nice to meet a fellow biologist here! I see we also share a fondness for Geocaching.

@Eve: Yes, maybe you are right concerning my main goal :-). Limiting sweets and soda is not that big deal for me. I only eat or drink them only if they are around and I can easily avoid them completely.

Concerning alcohol, I think I will reduce it by only drinking beer when out in a beergarden or in a restaurant along with food.

Last week was not that successful, because I again caught a cold and were limited with workout.

But I learned my maple trees and also succeeded in visiting one Spitzahorn.

So this week's TreeOfTheWeek will be the birch (Birke in german). Here are also two species around, the Weissbirke and the Moorbirke. They are quite easy to tell by their white bark. I' m sure I will find a lot of them.

Greets and good luck to all of you

M.

Hi all, thank you for your comments and support!

@ Whimsica: Birds? Maybe you'll like this.

@Nirvi: Nice to meet a fellow biologist here! I see we also share a fondness for Geocaching.

@Eve: Yes, maybe you are right concerning my main goal :-). Limiting sweets and soda is not that big deal for me. I only eat or drink them only if they are around and I can easily avoid them completely.

Concerning alcohol, I think I will reduce it by only drinking beer when out in a beergarden or in a restaurant along with food.

Good plan!

I hope you'll feel better this week.

Oh completely forgot the Tree Of This Week: the oak. Here we have two mainspecies: the common oak (Stieleiche) and the sessile oak (Traubeneiche). They are hard to discriminate. A german guidance is here. In essence, the Name "Stieleiche" (Stiel means stipe) comes from the longer stipe of the fruit not of the leaves. Indeed the leave stipes of the Traubeneiche are actually longer than these of the Stieleiche. A lot to mix up.

So out in the woods, Miyamoto!

This week ran quite ok. I did a longer jog on Monday. My cold has almost vanished, but now again my Tendinitis got worse. Seems to have to do with strenght training. I contemplate to leave this out and concentrate more on running. Miyamoto, the running druid xD.  Have to change this in my signature. :-)

Have fun!

M.

Tree Of The 4th Week: the alder ("die Erle" in german).

There are three species around: The Schwarz-, the Grau- and the Gruen-Erle (Black-, grey- and green-alder). They belong to the same family as the birch. Where the Black- and the Greyalder are living at riversides, the Greenalder has it's home mostly in the mountains. All of them like wet surroundings. I think I will have a chance to visit lots of Blackalders. Maybe also some grey ones. For the Greenalders I have to wait until summer, when I will have my holidays in the mountains of Austria.

TOTW #5: The Willow.

Here we have eight species in Germany. The four most important species are: The silver willow, the pussy willow, the gray willow and the basket willow. They all are not very difficult to distinguish on their leaves, but as they can mate between the species, there are a lot of hybrids around, which are veeery different to identify. So hard work this week. But as we have a lot of meadows here where I live, I'm positive to find some willows to visit. Particularly the pussy willow will be easy to find, because I have one in my garden :D

All other topics of this challenge work quite good, with only a litte cheating in between ;-) Especially the running works good for me this time, so I will probably concentrate on this over the next challenges.

Yeeehaa! Two more weeks to go, friends!

This last week's TOTW is the linden tree. Here in Germany we have mainly two species: The Winterlinde and the Sommerlinde (bigleaf and littleleaf linden). They are mainly distinguished by their leaves, where the leave of the Sommerlinde is hairy on it's upper side and the leave of the Winterlinde is not.

Although it is often spoken about the "german oak", the linden tree is actually THE german tree. Since the days of the old germanic tribes, the linden tree is very meaningful for the people. The linden tree was sanctified to Freyia and almost every village had one standing on its main place. There were marriages held under this Trees and much of the social life like celebrating, dancing but also the judging took place there. As well you will find the linden tree in many of the older german folksongs an in myths. So the perfect tree for me to finish this TOTW thing in this challenge :-)

So last week, folks! Have fun!

M.

Surprise! This challenge came to an end! So fast!

So I have to divide my 15 points as follows:

STR: 1. Again I had to cancel my strength training due to elbow problems, but give me one STR point for exercising my legs with running.

DEX: 3. For Baduanjin and running on trails.

STA: 5. For doing mostly runs in this challenge.

CON: 2. I think my overall CON has rised so 2 points for that.

WIS: 2. For now knowing at least the main trees in my area and also for participating in side quests.

CHA:2. With wisdom comes charisma so 2 points for this.

Again it was big fun to do this challenge with you, my fellow druids.

For the next challenge I plan to run around a little out on the plains with the scouts if they let me. But I'm positive that I'll return to our beloved forest at the latest when the autumn mists start to dwell at it's fringes.

Live long and prosper!

sincerely yours

M.