Xerla - New Game+

Xerla

Hi all!

After skipping the last challenge due to illness and complicated life-sucking mind-bending muscle-stiffening situation (which turned out to be a good break), and after visiting the awesome Monk guild for my last 2 challenges, now I'm back to Assassin's guild :D

I found 2 interesting things while I was on my challenge break.

First, the bad news: Now I'm terribly weak after just around 3 months of inactive lifestyle! I have to go back to do push-ups on knees :(

Last, the good news: Even though it's hard to do my pre-challenge break exercise routine, it's still much easier to adapt than the first time I started exercising. It feels like doing a New Game+ right after I finished the whole game for the first time.

My current challenge goal is rebuilding a healthy active lifestyle. I know it will take time to return to the routine exercise, so I'll start slow and as simple as possible. I take this challenge as a conditioning for my next challenge and my current target is being comfortable of doing daily exercise and eating healthy.

Action plan:

1. Eat healthy food 3x/day

I won't strict myself with the snacking part yet, that'll be too much to do and I will fail. I'll start by eating healthy for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and next challenge I'll take care of my dessert-snacking hobby.

2. Exercise 3 - 6 x/week

The easiest way to exercise for me is by following the simple Blogilates Pilates calendar (6x/week of exercise), currently I'm back on the beginner calendar, hopefully I can start half of the regular calendar next month, and return to the full regular calendar on the next NF challenge. Sometimes I also like to do my own bodyweight routine/HIIT/aikido/muay thai, usually around 3x/week 30 - 90 minutes.

No particular goal here, I just want to get myself comfortable of doing 3 - 6x/week of exercise, regardless of the exercise type. And exercise time must be early in the morning (except for the aikido and muay thai classes), because at the end of the day I tend to get so tired and skip the exercise.

That's it! Only 2 things to do and I've done it before, I'm positive I will be able to finish this challenge.

As for physical target, well, since the goal is only to rebuild a habit, I won't be too strict with numbers on scales/tape measurements/body fat percent or push ups/squats improvement (this will be a good bonus though, say, back into the regular push ups ASAP), so I'll just go for my favorite "fit into smaller size clothes" target :)

Actually, I've started exercising and eating healthy since 2 weeks ago, and everything went okay so far  :D

• Like 1

Not a spirit of cowardice, but of power, love and self-discipline - 2 Timothy 1:7
Intro | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Current Challenge

Yay welcome back to the Assassins guild! :D 

Especially for overcoming illness :) You will find that it is easier to get back up to where you were before you had to bow out, your muscles remember how good they used to be and will get stronger faster than they did before! 

I'm sure you're going to kick some serious ass this challenge and I look forward to seeing your progress :D 

Assassin Guild Leader  Trainee

STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Current Challenge: Vengefulpear Revives!

Level 1

High Score:

Level 7 STR: 14 | DEX: 10 | STA: 1 | CON: 12 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 4

Subbing, because I'm working on my own NewGame+.  It's frustrating to kind of have to start over, but I'm sure for both of us, things will come back much more quickly and easily than we expect. 

And, welcome back to the Assassins!  :)

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Xerla :)  Awesome to see you!

I've started over more times than I can count in the last year and a half, mostly due to illness enforced inactivity, so I hear you about how challenging it is.  But here's to getting your head in the right space and pushing forward!!

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

Yay welcome back to the Assassins guild! :D 

Especially for overcoming illness :) You will find that it is easier to get back up to where you were before you had to bow out, your muscles remember how good they used to be and will get stronger faster than they did before! 

I'm sure you're going to kick some serious ass this challenge and I look forward to seeing your progress :D

Glad to be back!

Now I'm working on my plank, currently I progressed to knee-hand plank from the knee-elbow (in such a short time thanks to that muscle memory :D), hopefully before this challenge ends I can go back to the regular plank.

Subbing, because I'm working on my own NewGame+.  It's frustrating to kind of have to start over, but I'm sure for both of us, things will come back much more quickly and easily than we expect. 

And, welcome back to the Assassins!  :)

Yes starting over could be pretty discouraging, but at least it's full of great extras from the previous New Game, so it'll be another fun game!

Xerla :)  Awesome to see you!

I've started over more times than I can count in the last year and a half, mostly due to illness enforced inactivity, so I hear you about how challenging it is.  But here's to getting your head in the right space and pushing forward!!

Hira I miss you! It took me a lot of time to think whether I should continue my NF challenge, but I thought maybe I should just give it a shot and start slow this time. Now I'm really glad that I'm back!

---

I forgot to add side quest: learn Japanese language.

I going to  have the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (N3 level) on June, so I need to study hard. I should have done it on last year's December, but I was ill back then. This time I should to make sure I'm healthy enough to pass the test.

I'm also doing the path to pistol squat mini challenge, and I'm going to add "+1" (+1 rep/+1 seconds/+1 breath/etc.) of everything each day (it's a good exercise for my flexibility too). I was completely clueless about the difficulty level of that crazy squat, so I tried it out of curiosity and ended up grabbing anything around me for some assistance. My right side is obviously weaker than my left. That squat was awfully hard lol I haven't even finished with crow, pull up, handstand, now I'm tempted with pistol squats...

After these 2 weeks, I feel so much better and rather than hurting my body like before, I feel that exercise and clean eating makes me healthier. But I'm still thinking on avoiding crazy cardio exercise to prevent heavy breathing, so I won't feel much pain on my lung.

Today I did the complete opposite of what I've written on my first post. I did my workout after I got home, and didn't do the Blogilates beginner calendar but instead the full regular one. My whole core hurts but I feel awesome! I hope I can do the regular calendar everyday soon.

My eating was kinda bad today, I ate sweet think pancakes with cheese and chocolate and 2 tablespoons of fried rice :D

Oh I just realize that exactly a year ago I started my first challenge on NF, 1 year full of awesomeness... So literally the "New Game+" title was totally perfect :)

• Like 1

Not a spirit of cowardice, but of power, love and self-discipline - 2 Timothy 1:7

It appears we have a few things in common...

I'll be watching this challenge.  We can compare notes on the Japanese... or something like that.

Also, love the signature quote.

Level 3 Tengu assassin

||  STR 6 || DEX 7 || STA 5 || CON 5.5 || WIS 5.5 || CHA 2  ||

The heart says, "Chocolate!"

It appears we have a few things in common...

I'll be watching this challenge.  We can compare notes on the Japanese... or something like that.

Also, love the signature quote.

How do you learn the Japanese? I'm using online resources like japaneseclass.jp for kanji and few textbooks for grammar.

Yes that signature quote is a reminder to keep myself happy :)

Oh Xerla, I'm so glad you're back! This is an excellent method of easing back into your good habits. Go you!

Eilyd! Glad to see you here XD

The workouts are getting easier and easier I feel so excited now!

---

Week 1 summary:

- Diet: I'm back at eating healthy food for breakfast! Lunch is always healthy, dinner is still 50:50. I'm still eating bad snacks like biscuits and cakes, but things are slowly getting under my control.

- Exercise: I'm back at full regular Blogilates calendar! It's 50 minutes of cardio/HIIT/bodyweight workout 6x/week. Still doing some modification for beginner so that means I still need to improve my strength, but my endurance is returning to normal. I think I can be more flexible about workout time now, I can still exercise at the end of the day. One thing that doesn't work for me is splitting the workouts, I just want to finish the whole routine for that day.

- Mini challenge: wobbly wobbly wobbly! But I improved a lot by adding 1 rep or 5 seconds for each moves every day.

- Japanese: I've started to learn it again, but not at the pace I've wanted to. Need to be more serious about this.

Overall: Many improvements on Week 1, hopefully I'll get better on the snacking and Japanese part next week.

• Like 1

I took a course in uni that took me to about intermediate level, and now my study is almost entirely kanji/vocab focused. I use henshall's kanji textbook to learn systematically. I find drilling the associated vocab along with the kanji helps a lot, as it gives it more application and meaning.

Week 1 sounds great. Even if there's still strength to develop, it's wonderful to see the routine back in place.

Level 3 Tengu assassin

I took a course in uni that took me to about intermediate level, and now my study is almost entirely kanji/vocab focused. I use henshall's kanji textbook to learn systematically. I find drilling the associated vocab along with the kanji helps a lot, as it gives it more application and meaning.

Week 1 sounds great. Even if there's still strength to develop, it's wonderful to see the routine back in place.

I feel like that I need to take an intensive course :( All those sample questions kinda freaked me out.

---

Week 2 summary:

- Skipped all the workouts and mini challenge, been offline for a whole week. I got too busy and I know it's not a excuse for skipping workouts, I just had a bad time management. Will fix this ASAP.

- Did good on eating healthy 3x a day.

- Slow progress on Japanese study.

I started to think that 50 - 60 minutes exercise every day is too time consuming. Today I skipped the workout calendar and did 8 pyramid burpees alternated with kettlebell swings (finished in 15 minutes). I think I should find a quick (less than 30 minutes) yet intense workout routine. For Week 3 I'll focus on 3x/week pyramid burpees and I'm going to +2 each time so it'll be 12 pyramid burpees at the end of the week. My usual count was 15 pyramid, I hope I can build more stamina like before.

Short workouts are a good idea. When busy or ill, I like to follow the "just do something" principle.

And short high intensity stuff is awesome in itself.

Also: regarding Japanese, if you want to take lessons then immersion (no english in lessons) is the way to go. The grammar is so different the brain just has to switch off all its pre-learnt language processing.

Level 3 Tengu assassin

Short workouts are a good idea. When busy or ill, I like to follow the "just do something" principle. And short high intensity stuff is awesome in itself. Also: regarding Japanese, if you want to take lessons then immersion (no english in lessons) is the way to go. The grammar is so different the brain just has to switch off all its pre-learnt language processing.

I disliked "just do something" principle at first, and because of that I realized that I'm a little bit perfectionist, so I don't feel like doing workout if I know I'm not going to be able to finish the whole set/program that I planned for that day.

But now it's time for me to be more flexible! I've prepared 'substitute' workouts like pyramid burpees for cardio and intermediate version of NF BBWW in exchange for my daily 1 hour workout, so I won't make any excuses for skipping the workouts.

Now I've changed all of my computer and mobile phone's operating systems into Japanese language. I had a lot of trouble shutting down my laptop and making a call hahaha... But it's good to push me with those kanji.

This is a good plan, both for shorter workouts and Japanese learning. Sometimes for a short workout I'll just pick one exercise, and do it 'til I'm exhausted (like pull-ups, or 30-sec planks, or squats).

Shorter workouts work like charm. I did the intermediate version of NF BBWW and it's really good for total body workout!

I'm planning to put a paper in front of my bathroom door that says "If you haven't done your daily workout routine, do any of these before you go to bath: pyramid burpee or intermediate BBWW"

Xeeeeeeeeeeerla, where aaaaaaaaaare you?

I'm heereeeeee... Sorry last week was exam week so I can't even touch my laptop for anything but study :(

---

Week 3 summary:

- Eat healthy 3x/day is now a habit. Yay! Time to take care of snacks now.

- Due to lack of sleep, fatigue, etc. I lost my momentum on working out :( I'll start over again.

- Japanese: started to look for resources in Japanese language for my assignments. It was crazy and I feel super illiterate, but it's good because I've studied many new vocabularies.

week 4 to do list:

- Recreating new habit (taking care of snacks) means that I have to track down my food.

- Try my best to do Blogilates routine workout, browse around to find quick and intense substitute workout, make time to workout.

- Japanese: finish the last 2 lessons at erin.ne.jp.

My priority is the workout goal.

It's already mid-week 4, but I'll try my best to complete my weekly to-do list.

• Like 1

Pyramid burpees... I had to steal that idea. Takes no thought, done in a flash but a perfect killer.  Now I have no excuse even on busy days.

Good to see you back by the way.  Exams aren't fun.

Level 3 Tengu assassin

Week 4 summary

- Food

I ate many cakes. I did good on eating healthy, but in these past 3 challenges, snacking has become a major problem. Need to be serious about this.

- Exercise

I've tried, but now 50 minutes of exercise with Blogilates routine felt too long.

So I bought a Women's Health magazine with a headline of "drop 2 sizes with 30 minutes quick intense exercise" :D And I did it right away. It's a HIIT workout with 5 different bodyweight moves pyramid-style, 20 - 40 seconds of sprint/high knees/rope jumping and 2 minutes rest. The article said to do 5 sets and try to improve myself 1 set each time until I can do it for 10 sets. And to my surprise, I can do 10 sets with 40 seconds of high knees and 30 seconds rest on my first try, with total time around 20 - 25 minutes. I think it's good for me, I'll try to do it 3x per week and find another workout for strength exercise.

- Japanese

No improvement.

Well, I got sick 2 days ago and suffered from dyspepsia syndrome (stomachache, nauseous, vomit, etc). It was terrible and I have to skip my exercise for 2 days, and I'll start again tomorrow. Somehow I feel weak and got sick easily nowadays.

• Like 1

Sometimes finding a new resource for exercise routines is just what's needed to keep going. YAYOG (you are your own gym) is a real treasure for me right now.

Sorry to hear about the sickness... hope you get enough rest to recover properly.

As for snacking, what's your plan of attack? I've noticed my eating habits go to the abyss if I don't have absolute rules.

• Like 1

Level 3 Tengu assassin

Sometimes finding a new resource for exercise routines is just what's needed to keep going. YAYOG (you are your own gym) is a real treasure for me right now.

Sorry to hear about the sickness... hope you get enough rest to recover properly.

As for snacking, what's your plan of attack? I've noticed my eating habits go to the abyss if I don't have absolute rules.

I'm completely healed now :) Thankfully I don't need to go to a hospital or something like that.

I've been seriously doing YAYOG now and planning fun workout routine for next challenge :D

I agree about setting the rules for snacking. As for me, I will snack each I didn't ate enough meal, so I tried to eat enoug h for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I also have 'dessert days' on weekend. Back then I had a '3-bites' rule, so I eat unhealthy food for 3 bites only, but it backfired because it took crazy effort to stop myself from eating hahaha :D

----

Week 5 summary

- Getting better at conquering excessive snacking by eating enough breakfast/lunch/dinner.

- Managed to follow my workout schedule happily. I created a new schedule with under 30 minutes HIIT and bodyweight workouts. I've been collecting various workout routines, put numbers (1 - 6) on it, and then roll a dice to decide which workout to do for that day.

- Getting better at Japanese by reading funny manga.

And there are some things that made me happy:

- Last week my mom asked me to create a workout schedule for her, and I gave her a half of NF BBWW routine. To my surprise, she seriously followed it and reported that this week she's improving a lot, feeling more energetic and ready to add more reps to her workout.

- Sometimes I posted my workout routines on Path (the current popular social media in my country), and successfully made my friends do the same workout. 

They gave me bigger motivation to exercise :)

• Like 1

Sounds like an awesome week! There's nothing quite like inspiring others when it comes to joy and success.

I can hear the pain about the 3 bites rule... it's why counting macros while including snacky food is torture for me. Once the taste of sweet is in my mouth, even if I've reached the numerical limit my brain will protest. "What do you MEAN you can't have any more tasty? Don't be silly! It's right in front of you!"

I prefer doing things by the day. Dessert day, then 'sensible' days. They balance out.

Level 3 Tengu assassin

Sounds like an awesome week! There's nothing quite like inspiring others when it comes to joy and success.

I can hear the pain about the 3 bites rule... it's why counting macros while including snacky food is torture for me. Once the taste of sweet is in my mouth, even if I've reached the numerical limit my brain will protest. "What do you MEAN you can't have any more tasty? Don't be silly! It's right in front of you!"

I prefer doing things by the day. Dessert day, then 'sensible' days. They balance out.

Yeah dessert day and sensible day (great name!) is way much better. Which is why I treat it like 'all or none', eat it all or don't touch it at all.

Sometimes I even put it out of my sight, including not to look at bread stores at non-dessert days. Really, my legs seem like they have an auto switch to walk me directly into those cake shops and buy breads and cakes.

---

Week 6 summary:

- Ate healthy food every day, with controlled snacking. It means I completely aware why and how much I ate my snacks. I don't feel any regret, because the snacking was part of my eating plan. I can control it like a boss :D

- Exercise 6x per week. Now I'm not too strict on following my usual favorite Blogilates calendar that requires me 1 hour of workout per day. On my day off, I go for Blogilates. No day off, no problem. Just roll my dice and do any of the <30 minutes intense workout I've collected before. It works like charm. Few days ago I got home late, feel so tired even though I know I did nothing but sitting and studying all day long. So the 4 minutes of tabata burpee before I went to sleep saved me from skipping my workout day. And I added 5 - 10 minutes of stretching to improve my flexibility.

- Japanese: not so good, but at least I improved.

Challenge wrap up:

I did it. YAYY! Healthy lifestyle is back!

This means a lot to me. After I got sick on December last year, I feel like I won't be able to return to my old healthy routine. I couldn't do any exercise without getting my lung hurt. I tried to get back to it one at a time, but I felt really weak and got sick again after just 1 week of full exercise. Not just the illness, but my eating habit and sleeping habit also changed.

Now, I'm so happy because I got my healthy eating and sleeping pattern back along with workout routine without getting too sick.

For the next challenge, I'm thinking on making flexibility as my goal. Or maybe handstand.

Thanks for all the support guys! :)

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines