Merganser Learns to FLY!!!

Merganser

Week 4 is underway! Which means that it is Monday! Which means that I need to check my fantasy baseball league activations...

...and done! And I've crept up to 5th place (out of 10)! Woot!

But fantasy baseball domination is not part of this challenge, so...

1) Ride!

I called the bike shop on Saturday morning and learned that the part that arrived on Thursday for my (commuter) bike was the wrong part, but they're really, truly expecting the right part today. (Although I'm not optimistic about being able to pick it up today :tongue:)

But on the bright side, it did force me into a state of non-contemptuous familiarity with my road bike :tongue:

It looks like I covered between 90 and 100 miles on it in Week 2, commuting to and from work on 4 (non-rainy) days, and using it to run errands and do grocery shopping this past weekend. (Note: As ridiculously heavy as my chiropractor thought my backpack with work + gym stuff was on Friday, it was a total lightweight compared to when it was full of $100 worth of ingeniously stowed groceries yesterday morning!)

This included a lot of time in both rush hour traffic and along crowded shared-use paths, and I feel 1000% more comfortable than I did a week ago. (And it also included some time speeding along mostly-empty streets early in the morning, which is just fun! :)) And I did it again today, as well.

In addition to that, I did one non-functional ride on Saturday afternoon, riding downhill out on Commonwealth Avenue into Newton specifically so I could ride back uphill prior to doing a run.

So, yeah, not having the commuter bike has been an inconvenience, but it was a terrific opportunity to learn how to ride the big-girl bike, and I would not have signed up for my June triathlon without developing that comfort level.

(Next up: big-girl pedals and shoes...)

2) Ride! Swim!

Week 2 didn't witness any running or swimming, but I started to turn that around in Week 3: I went for a swim on Thursday after work, and went out for a run on Saturday.

Specifically -- as part of triathlon-ish training -- I went for a run immediately after a bike ride (taking time just to dump my bike and bag and helmet in the basement before dashing back up to street level...depending on your definition of "dashing"). The ride was 10.5 miles and included lots of hills -- and not too many red lights, although it was Saturday afternoon -- and the run was a bit more than 3.5 miles. I definitely felt a little stiff, but I loosened up as I went, and my foot didn't bother me, and I increased my speed incrementally as I went, i.e. mile 1 was 9:15, but miles 2 and 3 were both a hair under 9:00. 

While I was out and about this weekend, I noticed that the reservoir where I was running is the site of a 5K next Saturday, so I signed up for that as a way of getting an official time for a (flat) 5K, when I'm boosted by competitive energy. (Hopefully.) Ideally, I would swim AND bike before that, but it's at 8 AM, and I won't be able to get into a pool (and you're not allowed to swim in reservoir!), but I will try to do a long-ish bike ride beforehand. And based on my very limited experience with my sprint triathlon last August, I'm not overly worried about the swim-to-bike transition; bike-to-run is more challenging for me.

But since I felt OK on Saturday, I think I'll be good for my triathlon next month. And since the distances are all a shade longer than for my September triathlon, it will be an even better practice experience than I expected it to be.

In addition to that 5K, I'm planning to work at least one other run in this week -- possibly taking the form of biking home after work one evening this week and then running to the bike store to pick up my commuter bike, at long last!

3a) Eat!

Eating continues to be pretty great, and the only downside last week was that I felt like I was spending a ton of time prepping food every night, which impacted my ability to get to bed early.

So this week, I planned a little more strategically and did a lot more prep on Sunday. It took 5 hours (not including grocery shopping or planning), and it put the kibosh on my plan for going for a long bike ride in the afternoon, but my nutrition is just as important as my exercise, so it was time well spent, and I have minimal food to prepare for the rest of the week:

I made breakfasts for the entire workweek, i.e. 10 hard-boiled eggs and a big kale/sausage/spaghetti squash casserole; I made steak and Brussels sprouts and carrots for Sunday dinner, plus an extra serving of each to heat up for Tuesday's dinner; I made Pina Colada chicken and zucchini "noodles" for Monday dinner, Tuesday lunch and Wednesday lunch; and I made two batches of cauliflower "rice", which I'll use for a squash curry I'm making Wednesday night for dinner (and Thursday and Friday lunch) as well as for some shrimp-fried "rice" that I'll be making for Thursday and Friday dinner, along with a nice salad.

Which shouldn't take too much time, and should help me get to bed earlier.

Elsewhere in food, I bought myself a julienne peeler and used it to convert zucchini into noodles, which was fun (once I got the hang of it), and I also had my first experience in nearly 30 days of Food Not Quite Agreeing with me: I had pad thai two nights, and was...aware of it the next morning. And today I had some of the Sunshine Sauce on its own with some raw peppers and carrots, and...yep, it's the Sunshine Sauce. I used the recommended brand and everything, but it might be that I'm sensitive to sunflower seed butter :tongue: (Good to know! I'll try it on its own as well, and use it sparingly -- and with knowledge aforethought! -- in the future.)

Oh, and Hector the cat also likes my diet:

gallery_25678_963_3875.jpg

And while I was food shopping on Sunday morning, I saw one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen, and which I will probably have nightmares about. (So obviously, I must inflict them on the Internet as well.)

Boo!

gallery_25678_963_1080190.jpg

But fortunately, the next thing I saw were beautiful little vaccum-packed packages of "Perfect Portion" grass-fed, organic steak, so all was forgiven!

(Trust me, there's a little steak under than mess of mushrooms.)

gallery_25678_963_1041195.jpg

And I've been trying to diet-train my cats, too. On Saturday, we went out and bought this spring/summer's carload (this is not a bike errand!) of flowers and plants and suchlike for the porch, and I included some catnip, which I potted and placed strategically around the porch at cat-level. I've been reprimanding them when they start chewing on the nice flowering plants and putting the catnip under their faces.

Hector is probably hopeless, but Nestor seems to be getting the hang of it...

gallery_25678_963_1083911.jpg

...although it is probably just as well that I am opening my home bar again for the season/post-Whole30 next weekend :tongue:

And speaking of that, it was probably really good that the plant store was fresh out of mint plants. I had a lot of success with my porch mint last year, and was looking forward to planting it again, but until I had finished cleaning up and beautifying the porch, I hadn't appreciated exactly how much my appreciation for lounging on my porch is associated with drinking cocktails or wine out there. Day 30 of my Whole30 is Wednesday, but the first day I really, really felt tempted to stray was on Saturday night, where I got the point of actively rationalizing to myself that I've already learned what I need to from this experiment, it's only a couple of more days, etc. 

Because I really, really wanted a cocktail. (It probably didn't help that it was also Derby Day :tongue:)

But instead, I ate my dinner al fresco with a glass of sparkling water and lime, listening to my favorite album of last summer without the usual alcoholic accompaniment, and it was good :)

3b) Train!

I got off to a slow start last week with self-directed strength training, in the sense that it didn't ever happen. 

But I got to my kettlebell bootcamp on Friday, as planned, and I made it to the gym early this morning before work and did an efficient little strength workout in a little less than 40 minutes:

2 sets of:
24 front-loaded squats (16 kg)
12 kettlebell rows, each side (16 kg)
12 leg drops
12 push-ups (set 1 regular, set 2 decline from the bench)
12 Russian twists, each side (16 kg)
24 jump squats
jump rope, 30 each leg
12 single-arm front-loaded squat, each side (30 lbs)
12 kettlebell single-arm push press, each side (30 lbs -- this was definitely hard!)
12 single-leg bridge, each side (with 30 lb kb)
12 tricep dips
12 suicide planks, each side
12 burpees
jump rope, 30 each leg

This was a workout I did a couple of weeks ago, with a couple of added exercises and reps, and I guess I'll know tomorrow morning how effective it was :)

3c) Rest!

I planned too many time-consuming, multi-part recipes last week, and didn't do enough of them in advance, so although I had plenty of great food last week, I ate dinner too late several nights, which meant I didn't get to sleep between 9 and 9:30, as I've been kind of enjoying doing.

But I made up for it over the weekend, mostly: as lame as it felt, I went to bed before or just slightly after 9 both Friday and Saturday.

Due to food prep taking a long time, I didn't have dinner on Sunday until about 8:30, so I didn't get to bed until about 10, but I'm hopeful that I've planned better this week.

4) Life Quest!

Well, the porch is very tidy now...

...and I verbally committed to my roommate about some space-purging tasks I plan to finish while she's out of town for, like, 10 days on business, and since that's two whole weekends to get stuff done, I'm looking forward to it.

(And I'll start by re-reading Slate's recent series on "spring cleaning"!)

• Like 1

Merganser: Level 4 Anatidae Scout

STR 4 | DEX 5 | STA 5 | CON 7 | WIS 6 | CHA 2

Intro | Current Challenge: Train for Spain!

Challenge 6: Back on Track...and Then Off Again | Challenge 5b: First-World ProblemsChallenge 5a: Make a Map | 

Challenge 4: Fly! (On a Bike!) | Challenge 3: Run!..(At All!) | Challenge 2: Stretch! | Challenge 1: Swim Faster! |

My Fitness Pal

"She was a woman who had wandered almost by accident into a life she had not quite intended for herself..." --Lawrence Osborne

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird 

of the family Anatidae on our hands." --Douglas Adams

Wow.  It is amazing how much that you get DONE ..... awesome job.  And the deck looks so wonderful.  I'd be tempted to be out there with a glass of wine myself!

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Great week!! The food still looks great, and now there are kitties too. Yay!

That's an interesting idea about doing a W30 to really focus on the mindfulness of what you're eating. I'll be eager to great more about your plan of attack :)

Yeah, I can't believe I've been holding back on the cat pictures, it's the Internet, for heaven's sake: WE MUST HAS CATS!

And...yes, I definitely need to be more "mindful": I scarfed down some nuts last night while making dinner, and while that was totally appropriate since I had just biked home and wouldn't be eating for an hour, I knew even as I was doing it that I should not have been eating them, like, five at a time :P

(Although, elsewhere in "temperance"-related news: one of my colleagues accidentally bought a dark chocolate and coconut bar the other day thinking it was mint chocolate since the label was green, and she gave it to me for after my Whole30. And even though I've been in the office for hours now, it's still sitting, untouched, in my desk drawer! So...some progress? :))

(And, slightly more seriously: the sort-of "duh!" epiphany I had a couple of weeks ago -- "There's nothing I'm not 'allowed' to eat; I'm 'allowed' to eat anything I want. I'm just choosing to be more thoughtful and responsible about what I'm putting in my body, and how often." -- continues to be really helpful. I honestly didn't realize how much I was still subconsciously holding onto the mindset that certain foods are "bad" and "cheating" and that I had to feel furtive about eating them, and how that influenced how I was consuming them and -- probably -- my cycles of backsliding into eating cheese and bread for dinner 3 or 4 days in a row  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Challenge 6: Back on Track...and Then Off Again | Challenge 5b: First-World ProblemsChallenge 5a: Make a Map | 

Challenge 4: Fly! (On a Bike!) | Challenge 3: Run!..(At All!) | Challenge 2: Stretch! | Challenge 1: Swim Faster! |

My Fitness Pal

"She was a woman who had wandered almost by accident into a life she had not quite intended for herself..." --Lawrence Osborne

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird 

Wow.  It is amazing how much that you get DONE ..... awesome job.  And the deck looks so wonderful.  I'd be tempted to be out there with a glass of wine myself!

Thanks! Just to need to get a few mint plants and it will be perfect! (Although I'm thinking I should probably start with just cocktails -- which are labor-intensive enough that I have to really think about it before I have another -- before testing my ability to enjoy "a" glass of wine...especially now that we're approaching the season of very drinkable roses  :tongue: )

My Fitness Pal

Happy Whole30 Day 31 to me-eeeee!  ^_^

Obviously, I celebrated with a decadent breakfast of...

...a couple of hard-boiled eggs and spaghetti squash/sausage/kale casserole  :tongue:

Yeah: I'm really liking my food and (non-)drink practices, and although I am thinking about that first cocktail on the porch Friday night, I'm also thinking that maybe I'll make sure it's not entirely alcoholic (and may even break out the cute little 3 oz cocktail glasses I have)

But, fortunately, my cocktail shaker has not been gathering dust for the last month:

gallery_25678_963_21365.jpg

And I plan to leave the chocolate bar in my desk unmolested until at least next week, just to practice keeping treats around and NOT eating them in their entirety.

(Seriously, I kind of blame growing up with 4 little brothers for this: nothing yummy lasted 5 minutes in our house, so if you didn't eat a treat quickly, you might not get any at all!  ;)) (But since they all live at least a few hours away, I don't think my food is in a constant state of jeopardy.) (Unless the cats and dog develop opposable thumbs.)

Anyway, since one shouldn't let one's preoccupation with food become obsessive...

Ride!

I got an e-mail from the bike shop on Tuesday to let me know that I could come in and ransom my ride for $66 dollars, and when I got home a bit early last night -- after riding home on my road bike -- I did so with the intention of jogging a couple of miles to the bike shop and picking up my commuter bike. But while I had worked out where to put my debit card and keys, I totally forgot about my helmet  :rolleyes:

And it only took two blocks of me bouncing along with my helmet clattering against my right hand to say to myself: "Hmm...maybe not."

So, my new plan is to walk to the bike shop after work Friday evening and pick up my bike. I figure that will also help me successfully defer my post-Whole30 eating and drinking festivities to Saturday by: a) taking up time, and B) tiring me out. I mean, last Friday after bike commuting and going to kettlebell bootcamp I was asleep by, like, 9 PM. So adding a walk and a ride on top of that should definitely wear me out. (Because, yes, sometimes you have to treat yourself like a toddler.)

And although this morning's commute required a lot of creativity with bags-within-bags and utilizing all of the extra straps on my backpack to transport my food and swim stuff into the city, I am enjoying riding the road bike.

(Although when I was unlocking it outside the gym this morning a guy asked me if that was my Felt (he wasn't being obtuse; there was another bike attached to the bike parking ring thing-y), expostulated enthusiastically about his own, and expressed surprise that I'd leave it outside. Because of the carbon fiber...and the carbon...and whatever. I assured him that I brought it up to my office with me when I got to work, and he agreed that early in the morning, it was probably okay outside the gym. But of course now I'm paranoid that he jinxed me.)

(In related news, this is 42: when you learn to settle for good-looking guys admiring your vehicle instead of your ass  :rolleyes:

So, yeah: biking, biking, biking.

When I do get around to picking up the other bike, I'll make that fitting appointment.

And I'll also try to do my food planning and at least my shopping on Saturday, so I have more time on Sunday to maybe do a long, scenic bike ride on my road bike. I got a bunch of laminated little maps last fall and haven't used any of them yet. But would like to.

Run! Swim!

Okay, so my attempt to jog to the bike store last night was a (probably entirely predictable) fail, but this morning I finally got to the pool before work, and that was great -- particularly since I confirmed that it is still less busy than in the afternoon/evening. And that I prefer doing it early in the day. (Not least because I don't have to worry during the day that I'll blow it off after work.)

I did an adapted Master's workout of 2100 yards in about an hour:

400 swim

300 pull

200 kick

100 drill (I did one-armed drill, because I'm trying to focus on using my left and right arms equivalently)

4 x 100 pull with :20 rest (I used rest intervals because I keep forgetting my HRM watch, and the swim clock was broken)

4 x 75 free/non-free/free with :20 rest (I alternated back and breast)

4 x 50 descending with :30 rest

4 x 25 "all out" with :30 rest (this was supposed to be with no breaths, but...no. I took two breaths each time, and will work toward getting it down to one)

100 cool-down

And it felt good -- I was particularly trying to focus on full, strong strokes.

Next time, I'll need to remember to bring my swimming metronome so that I can work on the lag I feel like I'm still detecting with my left arm. And maybe my flippers, since the kicking part of today's workout was the most painful (although not really physically painful) and I know I need to work on kicking from my hips. 

(Although maybe I'll just bring one pool toy at a time...  :rolleyes:)

Eat! Train! Sleep!

Well, in eating, I finished my Whole30, and plan to continue to be Whole-ish going forward. Yay.

For Monday dinner, Tuesday lunch and Wednesday lunch, I had "Pina Colada Chicken" (from Well Fed 2) with zucchini "noodles", that I had made on Sunday, and although next time I'll make, like, twice as many "zoodles", that meal will be featured in future meal plans:

gallery_25678_963_674754.jpg

Last night, I made a butternut squash curry (from paleogrubs) and enjoyed it over cauliflower "rice" that I had made on Sunday. (With some Indian spiced cashews. Yum.)

I'll be having that for lunch today and tomorrow, and tonight I'll use the remaining cauliflower "rice" to make shrimp-fried "rice" (I even remembered to take the shrimp out of the freezer tonight!) from paleogrubs -- subbing snap peas for regular peas because I happen to have an opened bag of the former in the fridge -- and an herb salad from one of the Well Fed books. 

This will require a supplemental shopping trip after I go home tonight -- the keeping my herbs in water seems to be working out well, but I didn't want to stock up on herbs on Sunday if I didn't need them until Thursday -- and will be my first shopping trip since finishing my Whole30. I don't think I'll do any impulse buying, but I also added everything I need for paleo breakfasts and lunches for the weekend to my list, so I take care of that tonight, too, instead of scheduling another shopping trip tomorrow. (Saturday's dinner shopping is planned non-paleo :))

And...I haven't done any more "training" this week: I planned to do strength training yesterday morning, but went into work early instead, and since I'm bike commuting I'm not too concerned. Tomorrow is a scheduled kettlebell bootcamp day, and between Monday and Friday, that will mean two solid workouts. And I honestly feel like my back and forearms have been getting a hell of a workout these past couple of weeks riding everywhere on my road bike!

My sleep wasn't good on Monday night into Tuesday because I was anxious about a potentially unpleasant conversation on Tuesday and therefore stopped trying to get back to sleep after a while after I woke up at 2 AM. (And the unpleasant conversation went much better than I had expected or even hoped.)

I'm actually able to function pretty well for a couple of days on short sleep -- several months ago it was a crapshoot every night whether I'd be able to get back to sleep after waking at 1 or 2 AM -- but I planned to make up for it on Tuesday by going to bed at, like, 8 PM, but I got wrangled into a conference call with a client in Shanghai from 8 to 9:30 PM. Someone important on their end was missing at 8, so they called it off originally and I did put myself to bed, but I got pinged at 8:30 that it was back on. Fortunately, I didn't have too many verbal responsibilities -- the conversation was at a stage where I didn't really need to be involved yet, but sometimes clients like having someone Senior and Important on the line -- so I was mostly just listening in. More fortunately: 9:30 was a hard stop, so we didn't go over and I got to bed by 10!

And last night I was back to being asleep by 9:30, so: yay!

Life Quest

Yeah, nothing there. For the 10 days I have the place to myself, I may try to schedule some weeknight de-cluttering. We'll see.

(But I can also see me putting most of this off until Memorial Day weekend, in anticipation of my brother, sister-in-law and baby niece visiting a couple of weeks later...)

And now, time to eat the lunch!

My Fitness Pal

I hope lunch was/is wonderful!! I'm glad your difficult conversation went over better than you'd hoped, that's always such a huge relief.

To be fair about the decluttering, since I started Paleo and spending soooo much time in the kitchen and making a disaster of it every night I have become more more lax on this. Since it's just me in the apartment for now there's no one to be bothered if I do one big cleaning/pick up on the weekend, and throughout the week let some things fall where they lie, only cleaning up potentially unsanitary situations like dishes or taking the garbage out. Shoes in the hallway are alright by me - for now.

I'm sure you'll get it done. Company is the number one motivator - in fact, introverts like me sometimes invite company over JUST to make sure the house gets really clean every once in awhile, lol.

• Like 1

Level 7 DINOSAUR Scout
STR: 9 - CON: 12 - DEX: 6 - STA: 10 - WIS: 16 - CHA: 11
Current Challenge
Scouts Base Camp
Scouts Tavern

Congrats on finishing the Whole30!!  I'm in awe. 

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Echoing Kailer's train of thought, what amazes me about that cocktail shaker pic (which is beeyoootiful by the way) is how clean your hob and worktop are after a cooking session. You clearly have some sort of super-powers. Or you're good with photoshop... ;-)

Congratulations on surviving and exceeding w30, achieving early-morning swim nirvana and for finding an ass-substitute. Personally, I think it's much better to ride around on a bike than on an ass, but if it's good enough for Jesus... Or is that not what you meant? ;-)

• Like 1

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Echoing Kailer's train of thought, what amazes me about that cocktail shaker pic (which is beeyoootiful by the way) is how clean your hob and worktop are after a cooking session. You clearly have some sort of super-powers. Or you're good with photoshop... ;-)

Congratulations on surviving and exceeding w30, achieving early-morning swim nirvana and for finding an ass-substitute. Personally, I think it's much better to ride around on a bike than on an ass, but if it's good enough for Jesus... Or is that not what you meant? ;-)

In most other aspects of live, I tend toward untidiness, but for some reason, I feel compelled to get the kitchen as clean as possible after preparing food before I can actually enjoy it. Weird.

• Like 1

My Fitness Pal

Busy, busy, busy, work, work, work!

And time (a little bit, anyway) to assess Week 4 as Week 5 commences!

1) Ride!

Happy Bay State Bike Week!

Due to the parts mix-up at the bike shop, I commuted using my road bike Monday through Thursday, continuing to gain confidence and competence on the (formerly) scary bike, and when I picked up my regular bike on Friday evening, I finally made an appointment to get my road bike fitted and the (still) scary shoes and pedals. (May 23!)

And while my commuter bike seemed awfully heavy and slow after my carbon fiber experience, my lower back was extremely grateful for its return: the weight/distribution of my backpack on Thursday (or the cumulative effects of a week and a half) was really bugging me on the way home, to the extent that I just took the T to the gym/work on Friday morning and home via the bike shop in the evening. (As opposed to biking in and home on the road bike and going back out to get the commuter bike.) 

I like riding my road bike; I do not mind riding my road bike with a backpack; I do not like riding my road bike with a fully-loaded backpack.

(It probably didn't help that after I got home from work Thursday evening, I went back out again to do a little bit of grocery shopping...)

gallery_25678_963_856805.jpg

gallery_25678_963_680917.jpg

So I picked up my regular bike on Friday night, and just rode that for the limited amount of biking I did over the weekend, i.e. a couple of grocery store runs on Saturday and a few errands on Sunday.

I intended to go for a bike ride prior to a 5K on Saturday, but it was raining pretty hard, so I skipped that (the bike ride; not the run!).

I had also hoped to go for a long ride on Sunday, but food prep took longer than anticipated, and when I finally left the house, it was already 2:30 AND I noticed a flat tire on my commuter bike, which had to be dealt with. (And took 30 minutes...which I know because I timed it :P)

So a long ride on the road bike next weekend is a priority! Particularly since I'm commuting on my regular bike this week!

(Oh, and I was supposed to sign up for volunteering this month, but I inadvertently scheduled a conflict. Although my subconscious may have done it advertently, on account of us being introverts. Boo! Now that it's summer-ish, though, there should be more opportunities.)

2) Run! Swim!

I had a good swim on Tuesday morning, and (finally) followed through with a race on Saturday, so mission technically accomplished, although, with a mile swim and a triathlon coming up in the next couple of weeks, I probably ought to step things up a bit (so to speak).

My goal with the triathlon is really just to see how a longer triathlon feels and figure out what my particular weaknesses are in that regard so I can prepare for a similar-length race in September, but it wouldn't hurt to do a little bit of training in the next couple of weeks.

So I'm going to try to get to the pool twice this week, and go for a longer run next weekend.

Meanwhile, the 5K was OK. My goal with that was to get a race time, but I'm not sure it's totally useful since there was only a mat at the finish line, and due to the throng, I started quite a bit back from the start line. (Although not extremely far back, on account of there only being 130 people in the race :) 

The race started at 8 AM, and at 7:50 AM it started to POUR rain. Just for a few minutes, but enough that we started soaked! My time was a disappointing 28:58 and I came in 50th place. For my sex and decade I came in 3rd place...albeit out of only 12 :P)

And I have really impressive quadriceps!

gallery_25678_963_224662.jpg

Anyway, prior to the race, I was really feeling the previous day's kettlebell workout, in my glutes and hamstrings, but although I didn't feel like I could get much speed, I felt OK running in general, and I think I'll be OK for the leg leg of the triathlon.

3) Eat! Train! Rest!

Speaking of kettlebell workouts...I went to kettlebell bootcamp on Friday and also did a self-directed strength workout on Monday, so I got two days in, which was OK.

And I don't know what exactly about Friday's made Saturday morning -- and Sunday! -- so painful, but I'm glad I wrote it down, because I'll do it again! 

Regular warm-up x 2 with 12 kg and 40 lb

Circuit x 3 (1 minute each station)
1. cleans or snatches (cleans, 12 kg)
2. ball slam
3. one-armed swing (30 lb, 16 kg)
4. bw squat/jump squat
5. woodchoppers!
6. kb row (30 lb)

30/30/5: plank/bicycle crunches

As for eating and resting, my Whole30 ended on Wednesday, and I "experimented" with some off-plan eating and drinking over the weekend.

On Friday I ate paleo leftovers, but also had a few cocktails, which meant I stayed up too late. I slept OK, but I definitely didn't feel optimally well-rested on Saturday morning.

On Saturday, I had a few cocktails and wine, but it was over a long-ish period of time, and with lots of water and TONS of food. I went to bed earlier than Friday -- although I probably could have gone earlier -- and slept pretty well, and felt well-rested when I woke up. But it was definitely way too much food! 

My first course of small plates was Whole 30-compliant with the exception of the bread (yeah, my plan to eat bread only outside the home didn't get off the ground yet :P) (oh, and also excepting the wine) and super tasty -- I'll definitely use this menu again: broccolini and red peppers roasted with balsamic vinegar, mushrooms braised in oil with garlic and shallots, shrimp lightly stir-fried with snap peas, and olives.

gallery_25678_963_312241.jpg

But of course I followed that with the CHEESE course, along with some prosciutto and pears (yummy!)

gallery_25678_963_518110.jpg

Note: That's the same bread from the prior course and I only ate half of the cheese, saving the rest for Sunday.

Because it was a LOT of cheese, and I was also saving room for chocolate mousse with whipped unsweetened coconut milk!

gallery_25678_963_1786.jpg

I have never made chocolate mousse before, but God as my witness, I am going to mousse every 72% cacao chocolate bar that comes into my home from now on!

Sunday's dinner was the same (except that I had a chocolate bar instead of mousse), including the wine and cocktails, which was a misstep: I really need to limit cheese and bread to when I'm eating out, so I don't have leftovers, and even if I want to enjoy a cocktail on a Sunday, I really need to stop EARLY!

Because last night I ended up staying up later than usual -- watching a show live (well, "live") that I usually DVR -- and still getting up early this morning, which meant I was definitely tired. I hadn't planned to go to the gym, and the bike ride into the office was helpful -- and it was great weather! -- but I really enjoyed the sleep aspect of the Whole 30, and I need to resume maximizing good sleep.

I've been giving some thought to my plan to be more "mindful" about eating and drinking, and I think some good guidelines will be:

a) No eating in front of screens (TV, computer...including not eating at my desk at work)

B) Logging everything I put in my mouth in My Fitness Pal BEFORE I consume it (I have a phone app, so there is NO reason I can't do this!)

c) Continuing to plan my meals and do the advance food prep

And speaking of that, this weekend I did my food planning for the week on Saturday instead of Sunday and did all of my grocery shopping on Saturday, which meant that on Sunday morning, I was able to get started doing food prep at 7 AM

I didn't finish until a little after 1 -- and then spent the rest of the 1-2 o'clock hour cleaning the kitchen -- and I can definitely get more efficient, but I feel like I accomplished a lot:

1) Instead of hard-boiled eggs and kale/sausage mix for breakfast this week, I'm having egg and sausage (i.e. seasoned ground beef) muffins with sauteed/steamed kale/shallots/garlic, and I have plenty of both for through at least Friday.

(I really like the idea of muffins, but next time, I'll need to do a better job with liners :P)

2) I made a HUGE amount of "paleo paella" with cauliflower "rice" and chicken, shrimp and sausage (and a bunch of vegetables). I honestly have no idea how long it will last because I don't have enough lunch-size containers of equal size to portion it out for a whole week, but I will definitely have it for lunch every day this week and possibly into the weekend. (Note to self: halve the recipe next time, and question any recipe that calls for a whole roasted chicken!)

3) I also made chicken salad for the first time in my life -- from a Well Fed recipe -- after poaching chicken breasts for the first time in my life, and will be having that for an undetermined number of dinners this week, on slabs of jicama.

This also involved my first experience making olive oil mayonnaise in the blender. Since this involved spending several minutes S-L-O-W-L-Y pouring a cup of olive oil in the agitating blender and I couldn't find a pouring attachment, this involved me shielding the top with my other hand in order to limit the mess. But it sure is tasty mayo!

gallery_25678_963_455670.jpg

And...is that really it? For 6 hours of food prepping?

Wow, I am a SLOWPOKE in the kitchen! 

Although I also probably won't have to make anything except daily side salads for lunch until at least Friday (I have leftover shrimp-fried "rice" for dinner tonight and may be going out Wednesday), so it was probably time well-spent. (And they were all exceedingly labor-intensive recipes; next weekend I'll plan some less labor-intensive food...especially since I want to have time to go for a bike ride!)

So, yeah, cooking is still fun, and I'm still committed to a MostlyWhole diet.

(And except for the lack of sleep and feeling more full, I didn't notice any ill effects from my eating/drinking -- I get bloat-y from cruciferous vegetables, so all the cauliflower "rice" and "couscous" I've been eating was already causing bloating.)

And NEXT weekend, all of the FOOD I consume at home will be Whole30-compliant.

(Oh, and I TOTALLY forgot until now that I have a chocolate bar in my desk drawer! And I'm not going to touch it now either!)

4) Life Quest!

Yeah, another reason I need to minimize food prep time next weekend is because 7 hours in the kitchen on Sunday -- and 2-3 on Saturday -- is all time I'm NOT de-cluttering my home! :P

Oh, and I almost forgot the gratuitous cat picture!

gallery_25678_963_480540.jpg

• Like 2

My Fitness Pal

Those little cats of yours look like exactly the same as mine. Ah, that inquisitive look...

It looks you are doing great in the kitchen. I certainly could not bear to be 7 hours in it, not even locking me in.

The almost-Whole30 is a very good idea...

Congrats on your 5K!

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

I'm going to make the mayo this week as well! I think I'll do it by hand, I'll let you know how it goes. Your food slings great as always, and I like that you've been pondering the Mindful Eating approach as well!

The mayo was really, really great! I don't remember the last time I actually ate mayonnaise -- I'm more of a mustard person -- and I only made it because it was part of the recipe, but it was terrific!

(And I love that for this chicken salad recipe -- from Well Fed 2 -- you don't mix the mayonnaise in with the salad: you spread it on the jicama slice and pile the chicken salad on top. It makes the chicken salad seem so much more fresh and vibrant than my prior experiences with chicken salad! All, like, two of them, since it's never appealed to me  :tongue:)

Kitchen time is always such an investment -- but it pays off really well the rest of the week.  Good job!

Yes, and since I dramatically underestimated how much food I was going to have, it turned out I didn't have to do additional food prep on Thursday night! (Or any shopping until I'm ready to do next week's food prep on Sunday...although I admit I'm going to plan for fewer complex recipes this time  :rolleyes:...I'll be ambitious again the NEXT weekend, since I'll have an extra day off for Memorial Day.)

gallery_25678_963_43207.jpg

And now, back to my long, glamorous week! Of 8 AM conference calls with Belarus and 8 PM conference calls with Shanghai (although not every night!), interspersed with training a new employee AND getting requirements defined and written up for a June 30 release...usually during the 5:30 - 8 AM block in the morning when I can work undisturbed  :rolleyes:

On the bright side, the weather's been great, so even though I haven't been doing any proper exercise, I've been doing 15 miles on the bike each day and am getting closer to figuring out the porch cocktail maximum that doesn't negatively affect my sleep  :tongue:

(And I really have been super productive at work!)

My Fitness Pal

Sounds like you're busy, that's good! And the chicken salad looks great... I have my own recipe but I am strongly considering adding chives to it now!

Yikes! Not that busy! :P

My Fitness Pal

Hey, that's a lot of time without hearing from you!

How has been the end of your challenge? Have you been able to workout this week?

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

Still busy (mostly productively!) but since I've been succumbing a bit to "accentuating the negative" tendencies recently, the end of this challenge is a great opportunity to assess my progress a little more objectively  :rolleyes:

So, my main quest was to learn how to ride my road bike, and...I did it!

(Well, while wearing regular shoes...  <_<)

(And although the two weeks of commuting and weekend of errands and groceries on it with a gigantic, heavy backpack were definitely instrumental in developing my confidence, etc. on the bike -- which was the important thing -- my right lower back, hip and hamstring are still pretty messed up...however having to take it easy on my other activities for a couple of weeks is a small price -- and short-term, from the long-term perspective -- price to pay for gaining confidence. So...there  ^_^)

Anyway, to assess my specific missions, etc.

1) Ride!

a) Pass: I did go on at least one real ride on my road bike every week (well, until this past weekend), and generally feel as comfortable on the road bike (while not wearing a heavy backpack, and while wearing sneakers) as on my hybrid bike. The whole bike commuting while the hybrid was in the shop was a huge part of accomplishing this.

B) Pass: And I certainly bike commuted! In fact, for the last two weeks of the challenge it was pretty much the only exercise I was getting. (Oops! Accentuating the negative again!)

c) Pass: I got my road bike fitted this past Friday. And even though he put the seat way up, my feet can still touch the ground a little! Yay! 

d) Fail: Unless yelling at obnoxious drivers and oblivious pedestrians to "educate" them counts as "getting involved with local biking advocacy groups", I didn't earn a "charisma" point this time around...  :tongue:

e) ...But although I'm not going to give myself credit for it "dexterity"-wise yet, I did accomplish my bonus goal of starting the transition to clip-less pedals! I bought the shoes and pedals while getting my bike fitted on Friday and forgot to bring my regular pedals home with me! I'm trying to avoid the temptation to go back for them, and this morning I got out really early and walked my bike down to the reservoir in my cleats and managed to ride my bike while clipped in!

gallery_25678_963_47740.jpg

The first time I tried to stop, I failed to detach myself promptly and started falling, but as I fell, my foot detached from the pedal.

However, I don't think I should count on that as a viable method, so I'm going to have to work at it. It was actually raining pretty hard so I didn't stay out to long, and when I rode the bike home, I wussed out and only attached myself to one pedal.

So, yeah, plenty of work to do. And since I have a triathlon 3 weeks from yesterday, definitely work that needs to be done pronto, since I do not want to demote myself to regular pedals!

2) Run! Swim!

a) Run Fail: I was supposed to run at least once a week, and with a plan, but I've taken the last couple of weeks off because of my bicycling-related aches and pains, so no points for that. But I did run several weekends and did a 5K, and although I'll probably take the rest of this week off and focus on hamstring stretches, I expect to be able to hit the road -- in running shoes -- next weekend, and generally feel OK about my ability to do the running portion of my triathlon in a few weeks.

B) Swim Fail: Yeah, my injuries shouldn't have kept me out of the pool, that was just me letting myself get preoccupied with work and not making totally do-able accommodations for my schedule. But I did get back to the pool this past Saturday, and although it was a short swim, I did use it as an opportunity to try out my metronome, which probably annoyed the hell out of the other person in the pool, but also enabled me to figure out what stroke speeds I should be aiming for. (And helped me confirm that, yes, my left arm was being slower than my right!)

gallery_25678_963_26715.jpg

(Although I probably should have ignored the instructions to start at 40 -- since that was ridiculous and aggravated my right shoulder. Boo!)

c) Master's Fail: Yeah, I need to start playing with others. Failure to practice with a Master's team duly noted.

d) Bonus Fail: I still have my 1-mile swim in the Charles in two weeks, but I still haven't practiced open-water swimming. It's been unseasonably cool, for one thing, and for another, it turned out that Walden Pond only opened for the season two days ago. (When it was ALSO unseasonably cold. And raining!)

3) Eat! Train! Rest!

a) Eating Pass-ish: I did finish my Whole30, and although my post-Whole30 transition has been a bit bumpy (and I just took, like, an entire week PLUS off from MyFitnessPal!), I learned a lot and I implemented some great changes: I'm eating more, and more interestingly, and planning my meals and preparing my food in advance.

Between yesterday and today, for example, I made a batch of cauliflower "rice", a whole heap of zucchini "noodles", roasted a big spaghetti squash as bases for lunches and dinners, made a week's worth of hard-boiled eggs and steamed/sauteed kale/garlic/shallots/sausage and roasted rosemary sweet potatoes for breakfasts, made a carrot salad that will go with the 3 days of meatballs I just pulled out of the oven. (I'll save the chicken dish and green beans for another night!)

gallery_25678_963_7011.jpg

And although my cheese and bread days have been TOO self-indulgent, they were planned. And this past weekend I managed to eat less bread and cheese, but changing the way I prepared it  :tongue:

gallery_25678_963_4030.jpg

But my meals are otherwise about 90% the same as they were during my Whole30, which is great.

Not great? Eating nuts un-mindfully. Eating too much dark chocolate too often. Getting back into the habit of drinking wine with dinner on weeknights. 

One of my stated goals was "to develop and implement mindful post-Whole30 eating practices", and since that hasn't been successful, and is something I'll engage in the next challenge.

(Because it's good for me, and because -- wow! -- I really can see and feel the effects of a couple of weeks of backsliding on my waistline!  :tongue:)

B) Training Pass-ish: I'm not going to give myself points for this, but I've generally been keeping up with my strength-training. However, I didn't do nearly as many self-motivated workouts as I planned to do when I cut back kettlebell bootcamp to 1 day per week AND I skipped the last two Fridays. Because of work stuff, but, still.

(And although the break has probably been good for my back/hip/hamstring, it has not helped with the waistline thing!)

c) Sleeping Pass: I do generally schedule at least 7 hours, but I was a lot more successful at getting it during my Whole30. I miss it, and it's one of my motivations for my forthcoming "mindfulness" challenge. 

Life Quest

Er...no points for good housekeeping, although I do have a list on a whiteboard in our kitchen, and I have crossed a few things off. Some weekend days, I make myself do one of the things on the list before I'm allowed to leave the house, but I need to do that more consistently. 

Fortunately, next weekend is the weekend before my brother and sister-in-law bring my infant niece for a visit, so that will motivate me to do a big chunk of work, and hopefully give me some sense of progress for forward momentum.

And I really need to catch up with other peoples' quests! 

(However, right now, I'm going to go for a bike ride -- in regular shoes! -- for fresh air after kitchen duty, and to work up an appetite for a healthy dinner of shrimp and zoodles...possibly preceded by an aperitif on the porch  :tongue:)

• Like 1

My Fitness Pal

Still busy (mostly productively!) but since I've been succumbing a bit to "accentuating the negative" tendencies recently, the end of this challenge is a great opportunity to assess my progress a little more objectively  :rolleyes:

So, my main quest was to learn how to ride my road bike, and...I did it!

(Well, while wearing regular shoes...  <_<)

(And although the two weeks of commuting and weekend of errands and groceries on it with a gigantic, heavy backpack were definitely instrumental in developing my confidence, etc. on the bike -- which was the important thing -- my right lower back, hip and hamstring are still pretty messed up...however having to take it easy on my other activities for a couple of weeks is a small price -- and short-term, from the long-term perspective -- price to pay for gaining confidence. So...there  ^_^)

Anyway, to assess my specific missions, etc.

1) Ride!

a) Pass: I did go on at least one real ride on my road bike every week (well, until this past weekend), and generally feel as comfortable on the road bike (while not wearing a heavy backpack, and while wearing sneakers) as on my hybrid bike. The whole bike commuting while the hybrid was in the shop was a huge part of accomplishing this.

B) Pass: And I certainly bike commuted! In fact, for the last two weeks of the challenge it was pretty much the only exercise I was getting. (Oops! Accentuating the negative again!)

c) Pass: I got my road bike fitted this past Friday. And even though he put the seat way up, my feet can still touch the ground a little! Yay! 

d) Fail: Unless yelling at obnoxious drivers and oblivious pedestrians to "educate" them counts as "getting involved with local biking advocacy groups", I didn't earn a "charisma" point this time around...  :tongue:

e) ...But although I'm not going to give myself credit for it "dexterity"-wise yet, I did accomplish my bonus goal of starting the transition to clip-less pedals! I bought the shoes and pedals while getting my bike fitted on Friday and forgot to bring my regular pedals home with me! I'm trying to avoid the temptation to go back for them, and this morning I got out really early and walked my bike down to the reservoir in my cleats and managed to ride my bike while clipped in!

gallery_25678_963_47740.jpg

The first time I tried to stop, I failed to detach myself promptly and started falling, but as I fell, my foot detached from the pedal.

However, I don't think I should count on that as a viable method, so I'm going to have to work at it. It was actually raining pretty hard so I didn't stay out to long, and when I rode the bike home, I wussed out and only attached myself to one pedal.

So, yeah, plenty of work to do. And since I have a triathlon 3 weeks from yesterday, definitely work that needs to be done pronto, since I do not want to demote myself to regular pedals!

2) Run! Swim!

a) Run Fail: I was supposed to run at least once a week, and with a plan, but I've taken the last couple of weeks off because of my bicycling-related aches and pains, so no points for that. But I did run several weekends and did a 5K, and although I'll probably take the rest of this week off and focus on hamstring stretches, I expect to be able to hit the road -- in running shoes -- next weekend, and generally feel OK about my ability to do the running portion of my triathlon in a few weeks.

B) Swim Fail: Yeah, my injuries shouldn't have kept me out of the pool, that was just me letting myself get preoccupied with work and not making totally do-able accommodations for my schedule. But I did get back to the pool this past Saturday, and although it was a short swim, I did use it as an opportunity to try out my metronome, which probably annoyed the hell out of the other person in the pool, but also enabled me to figure out what stroke speeds I should be aiming for. (And helped me confirm that, yes, my left arm was being slower than my right!)

gallery_25678_963_26715.jpg

(Although I probably should have ignored the instructions to start at 40 -- since that was ridiculous and aggravated my right shoulder. Boo!)

c) Master's Fail: Yeah, I need to start playing with others. Failure to practice with a Master's team duly noted.

d) Bonus Fail: I still have my 1-mile swim in the Charles in two weeks, but I still haven't practiced open-water swimming. It's been unseasonably cool, for one thing, and for another, it turned out that Walden Pond only opened for the season two days ago. (When it was ALSO unseasonably cold. And raining!)

3) Eat! Train! Rest!

a) Eating Pass-ish: I did finish my Whole30, and although my post-Whole30 transition has been a bit bumpy (and I just took, like, an entire week PLUS off from MyFitnessPal!), I learned a lot and I implemented some great changes: I'm eating more, and more interestingly, and planning my meals and preparing my food in advance.

Between yesterday and today, for example, I made a batch of cauliflower "rice", a whole heap of zucchini "noodles", roasted a big spaghetti squash as bases for lunches and dinners, made a week's worth of hard-boiled eggs and steamed/sauteed kale/garlic/shallots/sausage and roasted rosemary sweet potatoes for breakfasts, made a carrot salad that will go with the 3 days of meatballs I just pulled out of the oven. (I'll save the chicken dish and green beans for another night!)

gallery_25678_963_7011.jpg

And although my cheese and bread days have been TOO self-indulgent, they were planned. And this past weekend I managed to eat less bread and cheese, but changing the way I prepared it  :tongue:

gallery_25678_963_4030.jpg

But my meals are otherwise about 90% the same as they were during my Whole30, which is great.

Not great? Eating nuts un-mindfully. Eating too much dark chocolate too often. Getting back into the habit of drinking wine with dinner on weeknights. 

One of my stated goals was "to develop and implement mindful post-Whole30 eating practices", and since that hasn't been successful, and is something I'll engage in the next challenge.

(Because it's good for me, and because -- wow! -- I really can see and feel the effects of a couple of weeks of backsliding on my waistline!  :tongue:)

B) Training Pass-ish: I'm not going to give myself points for this, but I've generally been keeping up with my strength-training. However, I didn't do nearly as many self-motivated workouts as I planned to do when I cut back kettlebell bootcamp to 1 day per week AND I skipped the last two Fridays. Because of work stuff, but, still.

(And although the break has probably been good for my back/hip/hamstring, it has not helped with the waistline thing!)

c) Sleeping Pass: I do generally schedule at least 7 hours, but I was a lot more successful at getting it during my Whole30. I miss it, and it's one of my motivations for my forthcoming "mindfulness" challenge. 

Life Quest

Er...no points for good housekeeping, although I do have a list on a whiteboard in our kitchen, and I have crossed a few things off. Some weekend days, I make myself do one of the things on the list before I'm allowed to leave the house, but I need to do that more consistently. 

Fortunately, next weekend is the weekend before my brother and sister-in-law bring my infant niece for a visit, so that will motivate me to do a big chunk of work, and hopefully give me some sense of progress for forward momentum.

And I really need to catch up with other peoples' quests! 

(However, right now, I'm going to go for a bike ride -- in regular shoes! -- for fresh air after kitchen duty, and to work up an appetite for a healthy dinner of shrimp and zoodles...possibly preceded by an aperitif on the porch  :tongue:)

My Fitness Pal

Dude, don't shout at pedestrians - they're on your side. We should be working together against the evil car empire.

I love that you're biking so much and if it means skipping a few runs, well, there are certainly worse reasons for skipping runs. You food looks delicious as usual. Scout Guild certainly seems to have entered a golden age of for porn lately, and long may it continue.

Is that *the* Walden Pond?

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Dude, don't shout at pedestrians - they're on your side. We should be working together against the evil car empire.

I love that you're biking so much and if it means skipping a few runs, well, there are certainly worse reasons for skipping runs. You food looks delicious as usual. Scout Guild certainly seems to have entered a golden age of for porn lately, and long may it continue.

Is that *the* Walden Pond?

It is, indeed, *the* Walden Pond :)

My Fitness Pal

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines