• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RedJuliet

RedJuliet- Starting at the Core

Hello again! This is my second challenge, and I'm eager to continue leveling up as a person and heading towards that goal of a healthier self. This time, I'm focusing on core strengthening techniques. I've recently fallen in love with Pilates and yoga but I find myself wobbling during some of the positions. It seems my workout buddy doesn't have the same problem, and I wasn't sure why I was having this issue. I'm hoping that strengthening my core, improving my posture, and my sense of balance will help.

Main Quest

Strengthen my core

1. To complete the April Abs Blogilates calendar http://www.blogilates.com/blog/2014/03/31/30-day-aprilabs-calendar/ That means completing every day on the check list, even if I have to go back and do the days I missed. The videos add up to about one hour, or 55 minutes a day and work all different parts of the body through Pilates. ✓
  2. Warm up before every workout. I pulled a muscle last challenge because I didn't warm up properly before my workouts. My goal is to do a warm up video between 5-10 minutes before each workout.
  3. Learn basic core strengthening moves and practice them daily. This is the first video I'm going to try https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSxqzpqUFK4
  4. Continue to practice Pilates with the Blogilates videos/calendar.
  5. 3 reps of 25 second planks 4x a week.

Side Quests

1. Meditate 10 minutes daily with my mediation CD. I have so much stress in my life and I'm so busy, sometimes I forget. But I feel so energized and balanced after practicing Chakra healing.
  2. Drink tea once a day. I'm really bad at drinking the recommended amount of water per day. I used to only drink one bottle, or 16 fl oz a day. Now I'm up to about two, or 32 fl oz a day. I know it's still not enough so I'm hoping to get more fluid intake through fruits and tea.
  3. Try to score a job by sending out my resume everywhere. I have student loans to pay, and I'm not making enough money through Ebay and writing as a text-broker/freelancer. At least I'm scoring interviews, but so far I haven't landed an offer.
  4. Lose five pounds. I've been gaining muscle lately, so my weight hasn't dropped in about a month even with healthy eating, cutting carbs, sugars, and processed foods, and daily exercise. I know muscle weighs more than fat, but I also know that I'm nowhere near my healthy weight of 120-145 (according to a BMI calculator) or 18.5 and 25% body fat percentage.  ✓

So what's my motivation? Honestly, aside from the long-term goal of being a healthier person and being able to complete a workout without being out of breath and nauseous, my short-term reason for getting healthy is cosplay. There is a convention in May, and besides there being a ton of walking involved, I want to be able to look confident and happy in my pictures.

• Like 2

Hey,

welcome around!

Do you count Chakra healing as meditation? ;)

What did you study? What do you apply for?

What would you love to do, if just your heart counts?

=)

• Like 1

Hey,

welcome around!

Do you count Chakra healing as meditation? ;)

What did you study? What do you apply for?

What would you love to do, if just your heart counts?

=)

I do, actually this is what I use right now. I just plug in my headphones and do the ten-minute meditation. So far that's the only guided meditation I have used, but I'm always on the lookout for something else to mix it up. I also need to start doing it daily, instead of weekly.

I was an English major, with a Creative Writing degree and graduated last May from Milwaukee. :)  So, basically I'm looking for a job as a technical writer or copywriter. But honestly, I'll take anything related to my field or not as long as it's work I enjoy.

If I could do anything in the world, I would find a cabin in the woods or a house on the beach in an isolated area and I would use that valuable solitude to write. It's always been my dream. I would be incredibly poor, but happy! Who knows, maybe it'll still happen.

Oh man, today was core conditioning! 50 minutes of intense exercises devoted to the core. It was hard--I was shaking and a bit weak afterwards but I didn't get a lot of sleep last night and I'm sure that's why. The joys of having a cat. Tonight my goal is to drink some chamomile and sleep early, and crank out tomorrow's workout in the morning before running any errands.

1. Try to score a job by sending out my resume everywhere. I have student loans to pay, and I'm not making enough money through Ebay and writing as a text-broker/freelancer. At least I'm scoring interviews, but so far I haven't landed an offer.
  2. Lose five pounds. I've been gaining muscle lately, so my weight hasn't dropped in about a month even with healthy eating, cutting carbs, sugars, and processed foods, and daily exercise. I know muscle weighs more than fat, but I also know that I'm nowhere near my healthy weight of 120-145 (according to a BMI calculator) or 18.5 and 25% body fat percentage.

So what's my motivation? Honestly, aside from the long-term goal of being a healthier person and being able to complete a workout without being out of breath and nauseous, my short-term reason for getting healthy is cosplay. There is a convention in May, and besides there being a ton of walking involved, I want to be able to look confident and happy in my pictures.

Cosplay motivation: the reason why I dropped nearly 10 pounds during my first challenge XD You can do it! Who are you cosplaying as btw? (There should totally be something called CosFit, which would be all about getting in shape for cosplaying.)

Also, I wouldn't worry about BMI too much, especially if you're putting muscle on. I just checked what mine was out of curiosity, and it states that I am at the upper end of what's considered healthy. So BMI says I'm close to being overweight, but one quick look at myself in the mirror tells me that this is really not the case lol. From what you're saying, it sounds like you've got your diet under control. Have you been taking body measurements for before/after comparisons?

The job situation sucks ass from a straw. Best of luck to you with finding a job that you can tolerate. I'm kind of in the same boat right now :\

• Like 1

Cosplay motivation: the reason why I dropped nearly 10 pounds during my first challenge XD You can do it! Who are you cosplaying as btw? (There should totally be something called CosFit, which would be all about getting in shape for cosplaying.)

Also, I wouldn't worry about BMI too much, especially if you're putting muscle on. I just checked what mine was out of curiosity, and it states that I am at the upper end of what's considered healthy. So BMI says I'm close to being overweight, but one quick look at myself in the mirror tells me that this is really not the case lol. From what you're saying, it sounds like you've got your diet under control. Have you been taking body measurements for before/after comparisons?

The job situation sucks ass from a straw. Best of luck to you with finding a job that you can tolerate. I'm kind of in the same boat right now :\

There really should! That would be so much fun to talk to others regarding their weight loss journey when it comes to cosplaying. I know there is a forum on Cosplay.com, but an entire community would be awesome. I'm cosplaying two versions of Abaddon from Supernatural as well as Castiel and Amy Pond from Doctor Who. I'm really excited :) Going with a couple friends.

I've been taking measurements bi-monthly and recording them in a little weight loss journal. I've also been taking progress pictures so even when the scale doesn't budge, I can look at the pictures and see how much progress I've made.

That phrase is going to be my new favorite thing haha. But it really does! I'm having trouble even getting a job at the drugstore or one of the stores at the strip malls. I really want to find a job as a writer, but I'd settle for just about anything right now, just so I can save up enough money to get an apartment. Hurray for college degrees and massive debt! Are you looking for a specific career field?

Niceness. Make sure you take lots of pics at the con XD Double win if you all have group cosplays going on!

Good stuff on the measurements and progress shots. I should probably start doing the same thing, actually lol. I have a pic from last month, but I don't think I see any changes in ab visibility yet X( I'll take another one later, just to be sure.

I knoooooww :( I sent out piles of resumes and nobody's called back yet. I could tolerate a retail job, but I want to avoid fast food like the black plague. Eh, who knows, I might drop off a resume at the nearby Tim Horton's once desperation really sets in. My degree(s) are in science (B.Sc bio/chem 1st class honors, and almost done M.Sc in organic chem) but...I don't even know if I want to work in that field anymore. Most lab tech jobs don't pay too well and are quite repetitive. I love learning about science, but the academia environment just isn't right for me. My original dream was to get a Ph.D and do all the awesome research I want to do, and do the things I like, but apparently if your research interests don't line up with the interests of whoever is running government or funding agencies at the time, then you're S.O.L. That, and the fact that there are waaaaaaayyy more unemployed Ph.D holders than faculty positions at universities kind of made me give up on the idea of a Ph.D (along with the never-ending grant applications, stress, lack of any free time, and paper writing--I used to love writing until I had to do science writing lol). One usually needs to do 2 or 3 post-docs before even having a chance at a faculty position, too, so if I wanted to go that route I'd probably be around 40 before I started my career.

aintnobodygottimeforthat.gif

Not to say that I wouldn't take a science job if the opportunity arose. The odds of that happening are pretty damned slim, though. There was one posted recently, that I was entirely qualified for. One of my supervisors said he'd lean on the right people to get me the job, and I've had beers with the hiring manager at conferences before, so the deck was entirely stacked in my favor. Didn't get the job. WTF. So yeah, I'll take anything I can get now. I'm even considering the soul-sucking call center on the other side of town. At least the good thing in this shitpit of a situation is that I can 1) live at home for a while longer (ie, I won't become a hobo two weeks from now) and 2) I know what I want out of life now: a good-enough job that I can tolerate, and that allows me to make enough money to pursue the hobbies I enjoy on the side.

How nice of you to join us RedJuliet, very welcome to the Druids beach ( we're renovating the forest).

Your challenge is very straightforward, I really like it! Strengthening the core is good in so many ways  :nevreness:

I wouldn't worry too much about being wobbly while doing yoga though, that happens to all of us (at least it does to me)

Namaste

Niceness. Make sure you take lots of pics at the con XD Double win if you all have group cosplays going on!

Good stuff on the measurements and progress shots. I should probably start doing the same thing, actually lol. I have a pic from last month, but I don't think I see any changes in ab visibility yet X( I'll take another one later, just to be sure.

I knoooooww :( I sent out piles of resumes and nobody's called back yet. I could tolerate a retail job, but I want to avoid fast food like the black plague. Eh, who knows, I might drop off a resume at the nearby Tim Horton's once desperation really sets in. My degree(s) are in science (B.Sc bio/chem 1st class honors, and almost done M.Sc in organic chem) but...I don't even know if I want to work in that field anymore. Most lab tech jobs don't pay too well and are quite repetitive. I love learning about science, but the academia environment just isn't right for me. My original dream was to get a Ph.D and do all the awesome research I want to do, and do the things I like, but apparently if your research interests don't line up with the interests of whoever is running government or funding agencies at the time, then you're S.O.L. That, and the fact that there are waaaaaaayyy more unemployed Ph.D holders than faculty positions at universities kind of made me give up on the idea of a Ph.D (along with the never-ending grant applications, stress, lack of any free time, and paper writing--I used to love writing until I had to do science writing lol). One usually needs to do 2 or 3 post-docs before even having a chance at a faculty position, too, so if I wanted to go that route I'd probably be around 40 before I started my career.

aintnobodygottimeforthat.gif

Not to say that I wouldn't take a science job if the opportunity arose. The odds of that happening are pretty damned slim, though. There was one posted recently, that I was entirely qualified for. One of my supervisors said he'd lean on the right people to get me the job, and I've had beers with the hiring manager at conferences before, so the deck was entirely stacked in my favor. Didn't get the job. WTF. So yeah, I'll take anything I can get now. I'm even considering the soul-sucking call center on the other side of town. At least the good thing in this shitpit of a situation is that I can 1) live at home for a while longer (ie, I won't become a hobo two weeks from now) and 2) I know what I want out of life now: a good-enough job that I can tolerate, and that allows me to make enough money to pursue the hobbies I enjoy on the side.

The joys of figuring out how to make enough money to survive. It stresses me out more days than not, mostly because of all the rejections. I should have thicker skin but honestly? All these "We're sorry, but we have decided to continue our search" emails really make me upset. Trying to look on the bright side though, at least I have a place to live! For now, anyway.

I considered a soul-sucking job, too. But I was told by everyone it was a terrible idea lol. I'd really prefer not to work in fast food, but if I can make some cash it might not be so bad for a temporary thing. I would like to continue my videogames, cosplay, and internet surfing. I spend so much on cosplay...don't want to think about it.

How nice of you to join us RedJuliet, very welcome to the Druids beach ( we're renovating the forest).

Your challenge is very straightforward, I really like it! Strengthening the core is good in so many ways  :nevreness:

I wouldn't worry too much about being wobbly while doing yoga though, that happens to all of us (at least it does to me)

Namaste

Hello! Good to know I'm not alone in the wibbly-wobbly area. I'm a bit better now than I was when I first started. At least, I can manage some of the moves without falling over and my neighbors believing I have died or something. How long have you been doing yoga? :)

Well, April is drawing to a close! It's so warm here. I've been doing pretty well with part one of my main quest, but slacking on the other departments! So for this week my goal is to focus on meditation and the mini challenges.

1. To complete the April Abs Blogilates calendar I give myself an A- because I completed almost ALL of it on time. However, I missed a few days and have yet to finish them. So, even though it won't be April anymore, I'm going to go back and finish the days I missed anyway. Unfortunately, that means waiting on a doctor's authorization for blood pressure medication. I hate relying on meds. :C
  2. Warm up before every workout. I'll give myself a B+ because I almost remembered to do this for every workout. I also managed to do cool down stretching afterwards as well. I still feel aches and pains but nothing that has kept me bedridden for any length of time!
  3. Learn basic core strengthening moves and practice them daily. This one I failed. I didn't search out any new moves to practice, although I did follow along with the core conditioning days on the April calendar. My core is stronger though! I can do more moves now and hold them longer, as well as manage to stay upright during some of the more challenging positions.

Side Quests

1. Meditate 10 minutes daily with my mediation CD. So far, I've been slacking off. I haven't meditated. I do deep breathing when I get stressed but I really want to try and take time to just escape and meditate.
  2. Drink tea once a day. So far so good! I drink tea almost every morning. Helps get some fluid in me, as well as helps curb my appetite.
  3. Try to score a job by sending out my resume everywhere.   ....Yeah, this one I haven't even touched. Kind of depressing. I hate job searching.
  4. Lose five pounds. I'VE DONE IT! 5.2 pounds later! And still going strong.

Another whovian!? =]

Good looking goals, but I don't know the character you are referring to. I am approaching the finale of season 4, this dr. Is my favorites but I know it's his last season so I'm slowing down lol

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Amy is in season 5. I really liked the 10th Doctor best, and Rose was probably my favorite companion. I've seen all but the latest season, thanks to Netflix. So I'll be all caught up for the convention in May. Last year I was so confused, I had only seen a few episodes of the first season and I didn't know who anyone was. Better prepared this time.

Hi there! I'm glad you'e still with us.

How can you improve from doing "almost all" to "all" do you think?

Congratulations on losing the 5 pounds

Thinking about utilizing sticky notes....and putting them everywhere. Usually if I see my to-do list wherever I go I actually remember and just do it. Today I'm going to apply to a few places after I rework my resume so...I'll need the meditation. Combat the stress! Continuing on with Pilates. Also, plan on finding a video on core conditioning and adding it to my daily playlist. Thank you, smart TV.

Sounds good, what kinda jobs are you applying for?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Copywriter. technical writer, or company blogger. I've applied to two places, and had a headhunter contact me through Monster for a position as a social media marketer. Waiting for more info on that, but hey! I did another part of the challenge so I feel good. Speaking of, I'm going to add a few more things to the list.