Teri: Boom Boom Boomerang! Challenge #3

Teri

It's Definitely Boomerang Time!

As I've been pondering things the last few weeks the word BOOMERANG has come to have some significance to me. One of the definitions of boomerang is "to come back or return." That is exactly what I need to do with regards to some parts of my life.

A short synopsis:

In Oct. 2004 I made a decision to change my life. I started exercising (weights and cardio) and eating using the divided plate method. I didn't restrict any foods. In 18 months I lost 40 pounds and then maintained for 2 more years.

In 2007 I started graduate school while also starting a new job. The stress and busyness of the next 4 years had me slipping back into some old habits and I gained 20 pounds back.

In 2012 (after graduating in 2011 and being a total couch potato for 1 year) I decided to rededicate myself to exercise and eating right. In one year I lost 20 pounds and was feeling great.

In 2014, right after the first of the year, "The Wheels Fell Off This Bus!" and everything fell apart. However, it wasn't a total catastrophe. It allowed; no, actually it made me really ponder some things.

Obviously, what I was doing recently wasn't working for me. I was doing strict Paleo, NO processed foods, and very limited sugar, which was way too much of an extreme eating situation for me to sustain. I was also so focused on building muscle by lifting heavy things that I stopped doing my cardio workouts, which I realized I truly love.

I quit eating Paleo and went extreme the other way, eating whatever I wanted.

I realized restricting is not something I want to be a part of my life. I want to be able to eat anything I want. It literally took me 8-10 weeks of allowing myself to eat anything/everything to get back to the point of eating nutrient dense food while allowing myself some sugary/sweet or fatty/fried foods when the mood strikes.

I reintroduced my beloved cardio into my workouts without forgoing the strength workouts, I just cut back the time on the strength workouts.

I realized that running and biking are two forms of exercise I love to do and even though I need to focus on building muscle it is not going to be at the expense of giving up running and biking. Last week I biked 113 miles...woohoo!

BOOMERANG!

So in the last few weeks as I've thought over the last several years I thought of the word boomerang. If I've been successful at getting this right in the past then I can be successful again, but the question becomes how do I do that. It's actually quite simple: I do exactly what I did in the past (Boomerang!).

1. I eat ALL foods using the divided plate method and enjoy less nutritious foods when the mood strikes. Is that sustainable? YES!
  2. I lift weights and do bodyweight workouts 3 times a week for 30-45 minutes. Is that sustainable? YES!
  3. I run or bike 30 minutes a day on my strength days and an hour on my non-strength days. Is that sustainable? YES!
  4. I try to workout 5-6 days a week, but don't freak if it turns out to be a 4 day workout week. I may miss one strength day or one or two cardio workouts, but that's okay. Consistency is key! Is that sustainable? YES!

BOOMERANG CHALLENGE!

Main Quest: Fit into my clothes from last summer (I am in a size bigger clothes right now)

Goal 1

Write down ALL non-nutrient dense foods that I eat and why I am eating them. WISDOM: 3

No foods are off limits. I can eat anything I want. However, I do fall into a trap of eating things just because they are there. I REALLY don't want to obsess about food, but I do need to be mindful about what I'm putting in my mouth. If I'm craving chocolate or ice cream, then I should allow myself to eat it, but I shouldn't eat it just because it's there.

Goal 2

Cook "REAL" meals. CONSTITUTION: 4

We are empty-nesters now and it is way to easy to grab something at the drive-thru or go out to a sit down restaurant. I'm a good cook, I need to start cooking again! I don't have to buy those expensive foods like when I was strictly Paleo, nor do I have to avoid certain foods. I just need to COOK some good food to nourish our bodies.

WHEN (because we will) we go out to eat, I will eat a salad of some kind. Most restaurants have salads that are served as meals. As long as I stay away from the ones with all the added fru fru stuff and just use a normal amount of dressing then I'll count it the same as if I cooked at home.

Goal 3

READ to be motivated and continue learning. WISDOM: 4

I love to read and there is a ton of reading material in print form and online that can be motivating and help me learn new things about nutrition and fitness. This doesn't have to be 30 minutes of reading, just a few minutes a day will accomplish this goal.

Life Goal

FLYLADY: 3 (see below) + shiny sink + 10 min. daily mission(M-F) + Weekly Home Blessing CHARISMA: 4

The total approximate time per week on all of the above is 2.5 to 3 hours

Back in 2007 (prior to starting the new job and grad. school) my house was ALWAYS company ready. I never had to spring clean because I used Flylady's system. During the 4 years of grad. school that system disappeared because even as simple as it was, it was too much for me to do at that point. I graduated in 2011 (3 years ago) and I still haven't gone back to that system. NOW IS THE TIME!!!!

I will do the following things

Every day: 3 (clear hot spots, swish & swipe, lay out work clothes for next day)

Shine my kitchen sink

Complete 10 minute daily missions (or 50 minutes of daily missions on Saturday or Sunday)

Complete the Weekly Home Blessing (limited to one hour)

Grading My Challenge:

I think this will be simple to grade. Each goal should be done every day so there are 42 points possible for each goal. I will tally how many days I complete each goal and at the end of the challenge I'll divide what I accomplished by 42 to get an average. My grade (A,B,C,D or F) will be derived from the percentage I achieve.

• Like 2

Class/Profession: Hobbit/Ranger - Level 4

Current Attributes: STR: 2, DEX: 3.5, STA: 8.5, CON: 8.5, WIS: 11.5, CHA: 4

Habits I'm Working On: #1, #2

Previous Challenges: #1, #2, #3.1(fail), #3.2

Quote: "If we did all the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves." Thomas A. Edison

Hello fellow Flybaby!!!

Soooooo glad to see I'm not the ONLY one!!!

Part of my goals this challenge is to continue working on establishing routines. 
I've learned recently that it's not feasable for me to do all the missions and zone work with my schedule, but I'm trying to babystep them back into the routine so they become just something I do without thinking about it.

You're going to do great!!!

• Like 1

You've really thought this challenge out, that's awesome!  Love, love, love that you are getting back to the things you love to do.  I also really like goal 3 to "read to be motivated and continue learning."  I want to learn as much as I can about nutrition and fitness also because I don't know enough.  

Your going to do an amazing job!

• Like 1

. I am Elder . Woosah . Sunshine . Plants . Fur babies . New book smell . Cinnamon . Pepperoni Pizza .

This makes so much sense! It's hard not to get into the mindset where you're way too strict on yourself and end up being miserable. Sometimes you want cake, and you know what, if you eat that cake in moderation, you should do it! 

• Like 1

Level 11 - World's Smallest Norn

Challenges: | Current |11 |10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

Hello fellow Flybaby!!!

Part of my goals this challenge is to continue working on establishing routines. 

I've learned recently that it's not feasable for me to do all the missions and zone work with my schedule, but I'm trying to babystep them back into the routine so they become just something I do without thinking about it.

Ha! I'm an Flyoldie! I first started Flylady's routines in 2000 and had a great system going until about 2008. That's why I want to get back to it because it was wonderful when I used it. I guess I really am a flybaby now though because I realized I had to start back small so I tried to pick wisely. It felt so good to go to bed last night with a shiny sink and my clothes laid out. I adjust the zone stuff and usually do all of it (about 50 minutes worth) at the same time I do my weekly home blessing for an approx. total of 2 hours of cleaning. Well, that is what I used to do, now we'll see what develops over the course of this challenge.

• Like 1

Quote: "If we did all the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves." Thomas A. Edison

You've really thought this challenge out, that's awesome!  Love, love, love that you are getting back to the things you love to do.  I also really like goal 3 to "read to be motivated and continue learning."  I want to learn as much as I can about nutrition and fitness also because I don't know enough.  

Your going to do an amazing job!

Thanks Elder. One reason I  love to ride my bike is when I'm outdoors I listen to audio books and when riding my exercise bike I read. A sixty minute ride goes by really fast when I break it up into 15 minute increments. First I read about education related stuff (I'm a teacher), then I read for fun (mystery, thriller, suspense fan), then I read motivational/health fitness stuff. Since I try to keep reading til I get to a good stopping point then my time is usually up after reading through a cycle of those three things.

This makes so much sense! It's hard not to get into the mindset where you're way too strict on yourself and end up being miserable. Sometimes you want cake, and you know what, if you eat that cake in moderation, you should do it! 

Yep! And I'll eat cake with lots of frosting any day of the week, any time of the day! One of my top 5 favorite foods!!!

Just connected you here with you on the NF Academy FB page!  I'll be following... 

I love the back to what has worked in the past approach you have going on here.  I might have to look into this Flylady thing you speak of... 

• Like 1

Ranger-Monk Hybrid - Do all the things and lots of BJJ

I am a strong little powerhouse 

Current Challenge: Terra turns 50?!?!?

Just connected you here with you on the NF Academy FB page!  I'll be following... 

I love the back to what has worked in the past approach you have going on here.  I might have to look into this Flylady thing you speak of... 

Hi Terra!

I'm following you as well! Flylady is awesome. Definitely check her out. Flylady. She is all about baby steps. If you start reading her stuff be sure to take it in baby steps just like the stuff we do for living a healthier life! You can't clean up your messy, disorganized house overnight just like you can't get healthy overnight!

• Like 1

Looking forward to following you...I kind of dabble in Flyladyness :-)

Xena, two days of dabbling in Flylady and my house looks completely different. :D See my next post for details! Following you as well!!!

• Like 2

Day 2 of challenge 3 - Report thus far:

Goal 1

Write down ALL non-nutrient dense foods that I eat and why I am eating them.

I have had a couple of NNDF (non-nutrient dense foods) but each of them have been eaten consciously and not because they were just sitting there. Win!

Goal 2

Cook "REAL" meals

My darling hubby is a happy camper. Monday I made tacos and tonight I made hamburger stroganoff. I used butter lettuce as the wrap for my tacos and they were delicious. I would have eaten a flour tortilla shell, but I just didn't want one. I thoroughly enjoyed my 4 mini tacos! I think tomorrow night we will have leftovers along with a big salad.

Goal 3

READ to be motivated and continue learning

Our internet was down Monday so I read from my Educational Leadership magazine. As I've been reading a little bit of it each day I've been learning some neat ways to incorporate writing in my Reading Comprehension class.

Today I read Steve's NF blog Lost in the Labyrinth: Getting Healthy Isn't A Straight Shot and Oliver Emberton's Life Is A Maze, Not A Marathon.

I find it really ironic that I was lost in that Labyrinth and did some backtracking to get my goals for this challenge. I don't ever think life happens by coincidence. I could have read that blog post over a week ago, but I didn't get around to it because I read it right when I needed to read it!

Life Goal

FLYLADY: 3 (see below) + shiny sink + 10 min. daily mission(M-F) + Weekly Home Blessing

I am probably most excited about this because as I sit here typing this my house looks amazing. I have one hot spot left to clean off (baby steps in all things) but my kitchen has a shiny sink and clear countertops. My floors are vacuumed, the kitchen is swept and mopped plus more without spending a lot of time getting it to look this way. Here is a run down:

Weekly Home Blessing tasks: 10 min/day for two days (vacuumed living room, office and master bedroom, swept/mopped kitchen, swept bathroom floors) - 20 minutes total

Zone Cleaning in Kitchen: 10 min/day for two days (started by cleaning counter off, dusted, cleaned window frame, wiped half of the cabinets down, cleaned microwave) - 20 minutes total

3 (Swish/Swipe, Hotspots, Lay Out Tomorrows Clothes): 5 min/day to swish/swipe two bathrooms, 10 minutes to clean hotspots on Monday, no hotspots in living room/kitchen on Tuesday (I'm focusing on the living room/kitchen; will tackle the office hotspots soon, 5 min./day to lay out clothes for tomorrow - 30 minutes total.

Shine Sink: 30 minutes on day one (had to clean up stuff from this weekend), 15 minutes day two -  45 minutes total time

Total time invested so far: 2 hours and my house looks better than it has in months!!!

Estimated time per day now that I've pretty much got it the way it should be: 45 minutes per weekday and 25 minutes per weekend day (no cleaning, just quick swish/swipes, shiny sink, and clothes for tomorrow).

• Like 2

Found you!  I like your food goal. I have similar emotional responses to restrictions on what I eat. Your description of Flylady sounds fascinating.  I've been trying to get my housemates to come up with some sort of cleaning system since we moved 18 months ago. In practice I do most of the cleaning and they sometimes help. I'll check out her approach to getting on top of the mess.

• Like 1

Level 75  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

Found you!  I like your food goal. I have similar emotional responses to restrictions on what I eat. Your description of Flylady sounds fascinating.  I've been trying to get my housemates to come up with some sort of cleaning system since we moved 18 months ago. In practice I do most of the cleaning and they sometimes help. I'll check out her approach to getting on top of the mess.

Mistr,

I'm slowly working my way through my friends so I'll "find" you soon!

I don't know about you guys, but I don't always get the NF blog posts read right away. My reading for today was a recent blog post on the site: 10 Ways To Level Up Your Life. From the list of 10 ideas that take around 5 minutes I am immediately going to implement two of them

#5 - Do a mobility routine - I just tried the thoracic bridge. Oh boy, I felt that in several areas. That is definitely going to be an exercise I do a couple of reps of each day

#7 - Stop being a prisoner to your email inbox - tomorrow I will set up an action and non-essential folder for my work email

I love your thread title!! I'm seriously drawing inspiration from your discoveries...I'm starting the "food eating" that you've been cycling through and it's kind of liberating to not have to view foods as bad or forbidden. I don't desire the less healthy choices nearly as much when I know I can eat them if I feel like it. Consequently my eating is great.

I like your challenge and will be following!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I am really enjoying my goal of reading something motivational or something I can learn from every day. Today I read Steve's blog post Boards Don't Hit Back: The Legend Of Bruce Lee.  The following quote was perfect for what I've been experiencing the last few weeks:

My favorite part about Bruce Lee was that he truly believed in forging your own path.  He did everything he could to learn the best moves and techniques from others, but applied them to his own philosophy and his own martial Art: Jeet Kune Do.

In his own words: 

Jeet Kune Do favors formlessness so that it can assume all forms and since Jeet Kune Do has no style, it can fit in with all styles. As a result, Jeet Kune Do utilizes all ways and is bound by none and, likewise, uses any techniques which serve its end.

In Jeet Kune Do, it’s not how much you have learned, but how much you have absorbed from what you have learned. It is not how much fixed knowledge you can accumulate, but what you can apply livingly that counts. â€˜

This just reaffirms that the conclusions I've come to regarding how I need to approach my nutrition and fitness are okay because I'm taking some ideas from multiple sources and merging them into something that works for me!

Don't get stuck doing something you don't like or that isn't working for you just because you are afraid to deviate from a plan written by someone else.

• Like 2

I love your thread title!! I'm seriously drawing inspiration from your discoveries...I'm starting the "food eating" that you've been cycling through and it's kind of liberating to not have to view foods as bad or forbidden. I don't desire the less healthy choices nearly as much when I know I can eat them if I feel like it. Consequently my eating is great.

I like your challenge and will be following!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bridgette,

I've said that the experience I had was one I needed to go through to learn some things, but if I'd had my choice I would have preferred to not have to learn them by going through that and gaining 20 pounds that I am now struggling to get rid of. However, if my mistakes can help someone else learn then I don't feel quite as bad about those 20 pounds. :topsy_turvy:

I'm glad you like my title. I thought long and hard about a title that expressed what my challenge was about.

Hello fellow Flybaby!!!

It has taken me YEARS to establish a routine, and it vanishes with the wind if I don't force it to stick...good luck :)

Looking forward to following you...I kind of dabble in Flyladyness :-)

look at all the current and potential Flygirls here :D

I am really enjoying my goal of reading something motivational or something I can learn from every day. Today I read Steve's blog post Boards Don't Hit Back: The Legend Of Bruce Lee.  The following quote was perfect for what I've been experiencing the last few weeks:

My favorite part about Bruce Lee was that he truly believed in forging your own path.  He did everything he could to learn the best moves and techniques from others, but applied them to his own philosophy and his own martial Art: Jeet Kune Do.

In his own words: 

Jeet Kune Do favors formlessness so that it can assume all forms and since Jeet Kune Do has no style, it can fit in with all styles. As a result, Jeet Kune Do utilizes all ways and is bound by none and, likewise, uses any techniques which serve its end.

In Jeet Kune Do, it’s not how much you have learned, but how much you have absorbed from what you have learned. It is not how much fixed knowledge you can accumulate, but what you can apply livingly that counts. â€˜

This just reaffirms that the conclusions I've come to regarding how I need to approach my nutrition and fitness are okay because I'm taking some ideas from multiple sources and merging them into something that works for me!

Don't get stuck doing something you don't like or that isn't working for you just because you are afraid to deviate from a plan written by someone else.

I love this! I can't restrict with my food either, it took me 20 years to be able to eat without shame and guilt, and I won't go back to that for anyone. I really adore just everything about your goals...the divided plate method is so simple but it really does work :) and Flylady and reading while you bike...just wonderful :)

• Like 1

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

Week 1 Evaluation

Goal 1

Write down ALL non-nutrient dense foods that I eat and why I am eating them.

Well I accomplished half of this goal and that was writing down all the NNDF (non-nutrient dense foods). I guess I forgot I was supposed to write down why I was eating them. I had at least one NNDF each day, but began thinking about trying to make it through one day eating nutrient dense food only. I feel like I'm making progress just thinking like that. I know I can eat whatever I want, but I do think I need to work on eating it because I want it and not because it is there. I know when I'm eating the NNDF now they aren't special and I don't bite into it and think, "Oh, that is SO good." That only comes when I'm not eating that stuff all the time. Each little step I take to getting to that point is progress, but I won't beat myself up just because I'm not there yet. I AM AN AMAZING WORTHWHILE PERSON NO MATTER WHAT FOOD CROSSES MY LIPS AND ENDS UP ON MY HIPS! (lol...that was totally unintentional, but kind of cool)!

Goal 2

Cook "REAL" meals.

I am quite pleased with how I nailed this goal this week. We had tacos, hamburger stroganoff, gouhlash (left-overs), hamburger stroganoff (left-overs), pot luck Ruckle Mexican dinner (I made layered bean dip and cinnamon sugar tortillas) and Easter potluck dinner (I made ham, seven layer salad, deviled eggs and homemade Reeses Bar. I only made 1/2 of the Reeses Bar recipe because I knew whatever was leftover would be consumed by me on Monday. There were about 2 pieces left and I wrapped them up and put them in the freezer, out of sight, so I wouldn't be tempted). We did have leftovers a couple of nights. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to make smaller portions of meals now that there are just two of us. Funny how life changes in one year. Last year there would be leftovers in the refrigerator and I'd plan on taking them in my lunch and I'd get ready to make my lunch and they'd be gone because when my son would get home from his evening tutoring job he'd snarf them down. Now I usually end up throwing out most of the leftovers because I don't plan well enough on when we are going to eat them. Hopefully by the end of this challenge I'll have that figured out.

Goal 3

READ to be motivated and continue learning.

I read motivational/informative stuff 6 of the 7 days. I've decided to change the goal to do this 5 of 7 days and not worry about it on the weekend. I really want to just kick back and relax on the weekends.

Life Goal

FLYLADY: 3 (hot spots, swish/swipe, lay out clothes for tomorrow) + shiny sink + 10 min. daily mission(M-F) + Weekly Home Blessing

Of all my goals I am most excited about this one. Flylady teaches people how to build routines and accomplish cleaning your house in short bursts of time. At one time I had my Flylady notebook with all of my routines in them. On Monday when I started to do my zone (daily mission) and weekly home blessing I looked for my notebook and couldn't find it. I didn't let that hinder me, I just did my time for each doing what I could remember. In the past I would have probably gotten all freaked out about not being able to find it and I'd have thrown a hissy fit. However, I said to myself "Teri, this is all about improving your life and getting upset about something that trivial will be counter-intuitive to that concept. I'd say that was a win in my favor! This is what I accomplished for during my first week of Flylady:

1. Shiny Sink: I started out cleaning my kitchen counters (putting away anything that wasn't supposed to be there) and putting all the dishes in the dishwasher including after supper. From Monday night on every night when I went to bed my kitchen counters were clean and all the dishes were in the dishwasher. It is so inviting and easy to prepare a meal and then to clean up when you START with a clean area.
  2. 10 Minute Zone Cleaning (daily mission): I started in the kitchen. I did 10 minutes (no more, only 10 minutes) every day and by the end of the zone time on Thursday I was done with the kitchen. I accomplished these things: cleaned front of the refrigerator/microwave/dishwasher, wiped down all the kitchen cabinets, swept/mopped, dusted the endcap shelves and window shelves including removing everything to dust, cleaned the ceiling fan blades.
  3. Weekly Home Blessing: I spent 10 minutes doing each of the following through Thursday and by then I was done. A weekly home blessing includes vacuuming all floors & dusting using a feather duster/not moving anything (that is done when you are in that particular zone). That is all I remembered of the zone cleaning since I didn't have my Flylady notebook.
  4. Hot Spots: this involves putting up all the stuff (mail, paperwork, newspapers, magazines, etc.) that you pile up in certain places. I had 2 medium sized hot spots and one raging one. I spent another 10 minutes each night through Wednesday working on getting the hot spots cleared. I put everything where it was supposed to go. After that my hot spots take no time to clean. Since there isn't anything there when the day starts at the end of the day I just put away whatever ends up in a hot spot which takes all of about 2 minutes.
  5. Swish/Swipe: This involves spraying the sink and toilet with Windex and using a paper towel or rag to wipe it all down. I also spray a bit into the toilet bowl and and swish it with a toilet bowl brush. We have two bathrooms and this takes about 5 minutes. I usually do this right before I go to bed when I'm putting my pajamas on. It's funny...when I think about doing my swish/swipe now I think, "I don't really need to do that, it's still clean," but I go ahead and do it. I love not having to worry about what my bathroom looks like if someone drops in.
  6. Lay out my clothes for tomorrow. Before I go to bed I check the weather on my phone and lay out my clothes that I am going to wear the next day. This includes getting my jewelry and shoes. This takes me about 5 minutes.

I nailed this challenge and my house looks amazing. On Wednesday, my darling hubby made the comment "I have my wife back!" :love_heart:

Yesterday (Monday) when I was doing my 10 minutes weekly home blessing I found my Flylady notebook!

Week 1: Very Successful!

1. Write NNDF: 7/7 - 100%
  2. Cook real meals: 7/7 - 100%
  3. Read to be motivated: 6/7 - 86%
  4. Flylady (6 tasks x 7 days): 42/42 - 100%

It may seem like I had easy goals because of my success rate. In fact, I had to make myself do these things. I have a check list that I look at every evening and I groan as I say, "Oh, I've got to do my zone cleaning and weekly home blessing time," but I felt such a sense of accomplishment when I completed all these this week.

I think we need to be kind to ourselves just like we are to our friends on Nerd Fitness so I'm patting myself on the back and saying "Well done Teri, well done!"

• Like 1

Thank goodness for my checklist. Every night I look at it and make sure I haven't forgotten any parts of my challenge. The thing I usually forget is to do my "reading for learning/motivation."

On Monday of this week I started through the lessons on Nerd Fitness Academy again. I've read through quite a few of them already, but I decided to start from scratch. I created a document in Google Drive so I can write out my thoughts about what I'm reading.

In one of the lessons it says to practice mindful eating. Uhg! I always do something else when I eat. At breakfast I watch Dr. Phil episodes that I've recorded. At lunch I read facebook, Daily Mile posts, or NF stuff (blogs and/or posts). At supper we sit in the living room (we really don't have a dining room table, our house doesn't really have a good place for a table) and watch TV. So I decided to start paying attention to what I'm eating and actually taste and enjoy it. Today I worked through lunch and at 3:00pm realized I was hungry. I grabbed my banana and a 1/2 cup of cashews and started gobbling them down while working on the computer. I suddenly realized what I was doing, so I stopped and nibbled the nuts and took a few minutes to enjoy my food and take a break from my work. This is going to be a hard habit to break!!! Maybe I should make it one of my goals for my next challenge.

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines