• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ShotgunSally

Zut alors Sally! Another challenge :o

There's another challenge on the horizon and I've narrowly missed the kickoff! I'll have to have a kickoff ice cream tonight :) Kidding. 

My goals:

Fitness, last challenge I upped to spin 2 xs/wk + 1 rip/wk, I want to keep that up, excluding the holidays in which there are no classes but they typically align with my 4 or 5 week rest time. 

Body image, last challenge I got my boyfriend and I into a routine of planning our meals on the weekend and buying foods accordingly. We're on a good roll so this challenge I'm going to work on curbing the snack fails by preparing my snacks in advance, like right after groceries, so they're ready to rock! 

Life, I ordered this book, it will be here Wednesday. I'm going to read it and see if I can be the change I want to see (sorry for the cheesy Ghandi quote). I'll update this goal once I've read the book :) 

I need to measure myself because last time I did it was before my last challenge, I have a long term goal of approximately 20% BF but I want the slow sustainable road so I'm trying not to obsess. Healthy is my main goal. I'm at roughly 32% BF now :( and like 175~180 lbs? 5'10" is my height, which is the only thing I'm really proud about in that paragraph. 

Oh and did I mention I'm doing tough mudder this summer? This motivates my 5:30 wake ups for spin. 

Ooo that book looks good.  Please let us know whether it is worth a read when you are done.  I have ordered a couple of books about running to fire me up!

I am about the same weight as you, but a whole seven inches shorter, so my body fat is a fair bit higher.  I also aim to get to 20% body fat, seeing as we are going to be working on this for quite a well I will be cheering you on!

M x

I thought 20% was a great goal but my colleague told me she got measured and she's 18% BF and she looks.... really skinny. Maybe if she had more muscle on her body it would look better but she looks too skinny to me. I don't think 2% is that much of a difference either so maybe I'll aim for around 20% but ultimately just focus on comparing photos of myself and maybe keeping a photo of the body type I want to be so I don't miss it when it comes and go overboard? Hahaha! 

I'll def let you know if the books any good, I'm an engineer so it being written by an engineer draws me in but mostly I'm interested because it came so well recommended by Taylor at Lifting Revolution! Which books on running did you order?

'The Courage to Start' by John Bingham and 'Non-runners Marathon Guide for Women' by Dawn Dais.

Both are supposed to be about the joy of running, as opposed to instructional.

I am currently listening to an audio version of 'Born to Run' by Christopher McDougall.

If only I could get good at running by studying for it!

M x

Oh man I know how you feel, I read LiftingRevolution.com a lot, so much that I swear one day I'm going to wake up skinny just from reading about all the workouts she does! Pipe dream unfortunately but it sure is motivational to read about getting fit and doing it in a fun way :) 

Haha - pretty sure that subbed means he followed your thread.  From subscribed, I think.

I always think better AFTER coffee!

M x

Nooooo. I meant it sincerely. :)

Side note: I have a serious sarcasm habit. I can sound like a total asshole if I'm not careful about what I say. Couple that with the lack of body language and facial expression while texting. I make it a point never to be sarcastic or snarky, except in person, even if it's "funny". Still, I catch a lot of flak from people who know me irl. A lot of my texting ends in a fight :(

And, yes, subscribed. Which turned out to be redundant, because as soon as I posted it, your thread shows up on "my content".

• Like 1

I'm a bit sarcastic too which is why I question before getting angry :D Now that I know your sarcastic go nuts! My boyfriend and I put ~ symbols before and after sarcastic text because it happens so much...

MY BOOK ARRIVED YESTERDAY!! Unfortunately I didn't have much time to read it, got home from work and read some while the boytoy attempted to cook dinner (he forgot to take the meatloaf cupcakes out of the freezer yesterday morning) then went to the gym and watched a tv show then racked out! What I have read so far is that the book is based on Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, so when they say re-wire your brain they literally mean rewiring the neurons in your brain or as my bro says "rebooting your hard drive and installing new firmware."

On a side note now that my brother has been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder he's finally able to get help, a proper diagnosis would have saved everyone a lot of stress 15 years ago but better late than never and it's still a load off my shoulders :D My colleague says fat is just your body holding onto bad things, maybe I'll lose 5 lbs now that I have a bit less stress? I wish! 

• Like 1

Oooo CBT is very useful!

M x

I think it can be if it's what they say it is, my brother doesn't think it's something I can do on my own though, he thinks this kind of therapy requires a therapist :( I called him a debbie downer and I'm going to try anyways! 

On a side note, here's some good exercises if you're looking for some variety from my favourite blog Lifting Revolution!

• Like 1

He IS a Debbie Downer! I studied CBT at Uni and you can totally use it for self-improvement.

M x

Ps.  I looked at those exercises... they are now on my to-do list but they look hardcore!

I'm a bit sarcastic too which is why I question before getting angry :D Now that I know your sarcastic go nuts! My boyfriend and I put ~ symbols before and after sarcastic text because it happens so much...

MY BOOK ARRIVED YESTERDAY!! Unfortunately I didn't have much time to read it, got home from work and read some while the boytoy attempted to cook dinner (he forgot to take the meatloaf cupcakes out of the freezer yesterday morning) then went to the gym and watched a tv show then racked out! What I have read so far is that the book is based on Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, so when they say re-wire your brain they literally mean rewiring the neurons in your brain or as my bro says "rebooting your hard drive and installing new firmware."

On a side note now that my brother has been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder he's finally able to get help, a proper diagnosis would have saved everyone a lot of stress 15 years ago but better late than never and it's still a load off my shoulders :D My colleague says fat is just your body holding onto bad things, maybe I'll lose 5 lbs now that I have a bit less stress? I wish!

Nah, I still might hurt your feelings.

I've not heard of CBT, unless it's like behavioral training, which makes me think of Pavlov, et al. We tried something like that in school years ago. It worked - as well as anything ever did - but, I don't know. It seemed rather manipulative. I guess it's ok to do to yourself, though, huh?

Well, good for your brother! That must've been a rough 15 years...

Your colleague has things a little sideways; stress produces cortisol, which causes the body to hang onto fat. So, yeah, you just might! :)

Nah, I still might hurt your feelings.

I've not heard of CBT, unless it's like behavioral training, which makes me think of Pavlov, et al. We tried something like that in school years ago. It worked - as well as anything ever did - but, I don't know. It seemed rather manipulative. I guess it's ok to do to yourself, though, huh?

Well, good for your brother! That must've been a rough 15 years...

Your colleague has things a little sideways; stress produces cortisol, which causes the body to hang onto fat. So, yeah, you just might! :)

It's been a rough life for him and our family but he's my brother and I love him and it would be swell to have a normal sibling relationship which we haven't had since we were children. 

I think of CBT more like the power of suggestion. It can be a positive or negative thing, it all depends on the intent and the end state objective. There's a lot of things that led to my current dietary habits, as a child my father made me finish what was on my plate before I could leave, often forcing myself to over eat and stop listening to my stomach when it said it was full. I then as a late teenager joined the army reserves and during training we were quite frequently told "you have 15 minutes to eat" which taught me to eat as quickly as possible which makes the food zip right past the signals going to my brain telling me I'm full. I think this is probably one of the least harmful ways to undo that damage... I don't want to count calories the rest of my life or have a list of no no foods, I'd rather focus on more important things like my family :) OK, hoping down off my soap box now!

It's Easter which means no spin and no weight lifting classes so it's been dubbed a "rest weekend" but all I wanna do is go for a run and enjoy the sun!

• Like 1

'The Courage to Start' by John Bingham and 'Non-runners Marathon Guide for Women' by Dawn Dais.

Both are supposed to be about the joy of running, as opposed to instructional.

I am currently listening to an audio version of 'Born to Run' by Christopher McDougall.

If only I could get good at running by studying for it!

M x

Have your books arrived yet? And if so are you liking them?

Nah, it is Easter weekend post so who knows when they will come?!

About the CBT and food thing...  I know what you mean about bad eating habits made in childhood, pretty sure we are all a product of our weird upbringings!  There is an English hypnotist guy called Paul McKenna, he did an interesting show called 'I Can Make You Thin'.  If you buy it (or download it illegally :nevreness: ), it has a few video episodes and a few audio self-hypnosis whatsits.  He focuses on habits that keep people slim.  Eating when you are hungry, not having an 'I CAN'T eat that' mentality, eating mindfully. etc.  He discusses the 'science' behind it and I certainly think it is worth checking out.

M x

I wish your brother good luck - good results - with treatment. Will you be doing the family therapy thing, do you think?

I know what you mean about cleaning your plate. I HATE wasting food. I really have to be conscious about portion size when serving myself. And, yep, even if I think I'm still hungry I force myself to wait 10 minutes or so before getting more. If I do these two things I can forget about calories and things I "can't" eat. Things work out.

So go for a walk or bike ride. Those are low intensity enough :)

I got the first book... so far a rather inspirational story about an unfit dude learning the joy of running.  I will keep you updated.

How has your first week been?

M x

He IS a Debbie Downer! I studied CBT at Uni and you can totally use it for self-improvement.

M x

Ps.  I looked at those exercises... they are now on my to-do list but they look hardcore!

I missed this! That's awesome, I'm glad to hear I'm not deluding myself :) And on your other post about Paul McKenna that sounds exactly like what I'm reading in this book. I think hypnotherapy is just a version of CBT! I'm definitely going to check him out tonight though, I'm also trying to get my mom on this band wagon because she's been having heart and artery problems lately and I suspect a lot has to do with how much weight she's carrying :) 

First week was alright, easter threw a bit of a wrench in our eating but I'm almost halfway through my book so I'm not beating myself up about the food! I kept up my workouts except class Friday was cancelled but we made up for it :) I changed the oil in my truck saturday then sunday morning before easter dinner at my moms we ripped up the carpet in the living room, dining room and hallways (mom gets free disposal of the carpet a few times a year in her municipality! score!) then after dinner I spent two hours scraping glued on underlay off the hardwood that was under the carpet and pulling staples. 

I wish your brother good luck - good results - with treatment. Will you be doing the family therapy thing, do you think?

I know what you mean about cleaning your plate. I HATE wasting food. I really have to be conscious about portion size when serving myself. And, yep, even if I think I'm still hungry I force myself to wait 10 minutes or so before getting more. If I do these two things I can forget about calories and things I "can't" eat. Things work out.

So go for a walk or bike ride. Those are low intensity enough :)

I hope we get to do family therapy, I read online family can inadvertently aggravate his illness so treating the whole family is best :)

I'm paying more attention to when I'm full and have been surprised at how little I actually need to eat vs. how much I was shovelling in my face before.  

See above for my "low intensity" weekend, only down side is I wrenched my back when I picked up a box I thought was empty but actually had the welder in it >< That's gonna smart for a couple days....

Yeah, low intensity. Does 'Canadian Easter' mean 'part-time job'? ;)

Oh, be careful with your back! I wrenched mine on the trail and kept working. The results were NOT good :(

I start with a portion (or 2) of meat, then eat veggies. I find it a lot easier to say " well, that's enough veggies".

Woohoo on the pull-up! Now 2? :D

I'm the opposite, I tend to gorge on veggies first then turn to my meat but I'm thinking I should switch that around because for fun last week I was testing apps and monitoring my consumption and one day I only had 70 g of protein! granted I forgot my shake but still, I'm a wee bit low :) 

My back is less stiff today so I'm sure it'll improve but slowing down is not my style... coincidentally Easter lines up nicely with spring cleaning this year so it kinda does mean 'part time job,' much to my boyfriends dismay. But if we get all this crap done now we can relax in the summer and just enjoy camping a bunch! 

2 pull ups, hopefully soon, I just need another reward that I want enough to get me there :D

• Like 1

P.S.!!!!!!!!!!! I DID MY FIRST CHINUP SINCE BASIC TRAINING A DECADE AGO!!!!!!!!!!!! Which means I earned a workout top from Costco :D

Woohoo!  Well done!

M x