• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Toxophilite

The Journey to the Assassins' Guild, Part 1: The Druid Forest

Having completing basic training I set out on the long road to discover the Assassins' Guild. After a week of traveling I came across a large, dense wood. Feeling a strange power within, I began to walk along the perimeter, keeping one eye focused on the trees.

Suddenly I dropped to the ground, my eyes quickly tracking the source of the sound that had caught my attention. A deer darted left and right, running through the trees. Taking my bow in hand, I followed my prey deeper and deeper into the forest.

I took up position in a pile of rocks whilst the deer stopped to drink from a stream. I nocked an arrow and drew back, taking aim. The string was slipping through my fingers when I saw it; the deer slowly rose onto it's hind legs and began to twist and stretch. Catching the arrow before it took flight, I watched as the deer began to take human form. He was tall and lean with long blonde hair. Others began to join him, forming a circle as they sat on the ground. But there was an absent space in the circle. The druids sat, cross legged on the leafy ground, unspeaking, as though waiting for something. I couldn't tell you how, but I knew as I watched, they were waiting for me...

During my first challenge I realised that I need to give my life a bit of a spring clean. I need to free up some time and work on myself a little. Not just my body but my mind as well, so, here goes.

Long Term Quest

Get back to (and beyond) previous fitness level.

Challenge Quest

Find a new job - I have committed to this now. I'm not happy where I am, it takes up to much of my time for too little in return. I don't really know what I want to do yet but I've started looking and I think with a focussed mind I can get this done.

Challenge Goals

Fitness - I'm going to keep up everything from my first challenge as they are built into my routine now and I'm happy with them.

Declutter - keep my house tidy (I am really bad at this, so good luck me).

Time for me - read one book per week and get back into gaming (I don't know how I've let these things slip. I love reading and I've barely spoken to my gaming friends for months).

Meditate - on rest days replace workouts with meditation (I know nothing about this but I want to give it a try so any advice would be appreciated :)).

• Like 1

Good luck with your challenge!  On meditation, doyogawithme may be of help :)  Ease into it slowly and before you know it you will have breathing and clearing your mind down pat.  And you're absolutely right - spring is a great time for cleaning the house and the body/mind too.

Please take your place in the circle Toxophilite, and tell us some more details about this training you are already doing. Will your schedule fit with ours do you think?

"Dark have been my dreams of late"

I have been neglecting to update this somewhat, I've had tonsillitis now for nearly two weeks. I really have no energy and the idea of doing any real exercise turns my stomach. I've also not been eating very well. I had got up to having 4 meals a day by the end of the last challenge but now I'm mostly just on cereal and soup.

On the plus side this has given me a lot of time for me. I've read a couple of books and my house is pretty tidy. I've also given meditation a go and I'm quite enjoying it. It's nice to sit and have some time where I forget everything that's going on and just relax. I've been working on my challenge quest a lot too. I've re-written my cv and sent off lots of applications so hopefully I will hear something back soon.

Any advice for keeping fit when you're ill? I have been thinking about maybe trying yoga or something.

Urgh being ill is not good for gaining weight. Since December I've been bulking up and was happy with the results (up 18 pounds by the 1st of April). Today was my next weighing day and I got a bit of a shock. After being ill for a few weeks, I've lost 9 pounds :(

Oh well, people tell me that I'll put it back on quickly once I'm eating properly again. Any truth in that?

Gratz on having established a solid fitness routine! That's the first, most difficult hump, no? :pride:

I totally agree. I'm a creature of habit so it was difficult to start with but now if I don't do my normal exercise I feel weird.

• Like 1

Wow. Sorry to hear your first few weeks were so rough! Good for you for turning them into something positive :) 

How are you feeling? Ready for week 4? 

Are you feeling better now?

Wow. Sorry to hear your first few weeks were so rough! Good for you for turning them into something positive :) 

How are you feeling? Ready for week 4? 

I'm not ill anymore, which is great. I do feel like I'm running pretty low on energy now though so I'm slowly easing back into regular exercise.

I've been experimenting with a few alternative exercises rather than my usual dumbbell / bodyweight stuff. I actually thought I was pretty flexible until I tried yoga :highly_amused:

Still firing off job applications and keeping up with my challenge goals. One thing I am having some trouble with though is the inial relaxing and unwinding into meditation. Once I manage it, I find it very rewarding but sometimes I just can't get my brain to shut up.

Having had the same problem of shutting my brain up; I started to listen to what it was saying as part of my meditation.  I would go through each item on my brain's "to think about while I shouldn't be thinking" list and acknowledged it, decided where it sat on my life's importance list and moved on to the next item.  It was helpful for me.  Good luck with the rest of your challenge.

• Like 1

Hello there!, how's the meditation going?

Going pretty well. I'm getting in 3 or 4 sessions a week, usually between 20 and 30 minutes and it really helps with letting go of the stress of work. I was originally planning to do this as a temporary thing but I can't see any reason not to keep it going.

Having had the same problem of shutting my brain up; I started to listen to what it was saying as part of my meditation.  I would go through each item on my brain's "to think about while I shouldn't be thinking" list and acknowledged it, decided where it sat on my life's importance list and moved on to the next item.  It was helpful for me.  Good luck with the rest of your challenge.

Thanks for this. I've actually started writing things on my phone so that I can then stop thinking about them without worrying about forgetting important stuff. This has helped sooo much.

I've started thinking about classical conditioning for meditation, using some sort of trigger to snap into the right mindset. Still in the early stages yet but seems like it might work out. Has anyone tried something like this before?

Evaluation time!

Getting the bad out of the way first, my main goal for this challenge was to find a new job but it's now 7:25am and in about 5 minutes I will be setting off on my 60 mile commute to my same old job. I've not had a single interview yet but I'm not going to let it bother me and I'm just going to keep on looking. B for effort but D for attainment

Fitness-wise I'm pretty much where I was at the start of the challenge, just keeping things going. I don't think I've progressed except for reinforcing the habbit of excercising regularly. This was pretty much my goal for this challenge so no problems there. B (+1 STA)

My house is still a bit like a cleanliness rollercoaster, as I alternate between states of intense cleaning and days when I just can't be arsed :tongue: but on the whole it's much better than it had been. B (+1 CON)

I'm getting in a lot more time for self reflection and I feel much better for it. I have always been a bit sceptical about meditation but I'm so glad I gave it a go and I'm going to keep it going on my off days. I've also gotten back into reading and gaming, making sure I plan time for this in my week and I've been a lot happier than I'd been for a long time. A (+2 WIS, +2 CHA)