ajames continues his journey

After discovering nerd fitness 6 months ago I have made lots of progress, both fitness wise and in my life. I want to kick my butt into making more.

Main Goal: Get faster and stronger

Sub Goal: 15 second freestanding handstand.

I've been working on this for 3 months or so. I went through a phase of practicing every day, but that's slipped back to only a few times a week. I need to get back on that wagon. Daily practice is the way to get this skill down. I'll do these first thing in the morning.

Habit: 5 mins of handstand practice each day.

Sub Goal: Knock as much time off my skipping workout as possible.

I'm doing 50 skips, 10 burpees, 50 skips, 9 etc all the way down to 1 three times a week. My current best time is 11:15. I think I can knock at least a couple of minutes off that, mostly through technical improvements.

Habit: Continue doing this workout 3 times a week and recording times on the sheet on my fridge

Sub Goal: Increase pull up max

I can do 8 pullups at the moment. I don't know how realistic it is to get to 15 in 6 weeks but I'll give it a go. In addition to my normal bodyweight workout I'll be doing n pullups on day n(similar to PLP, but just P), for a total of 903 pullups over the 6 weeks. This goal really scares me! I'll be doing these in the morning straight after my handstands. I will keep track of which day I'm on with a simply tally chart on the desk by my pullup bar.

Habit: n pullups on day n

Life Goal: Finish Godel Escher Bach

(https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24113.G_del_Escher_Bach). I'm about 150 pages into this monster and while I am enjoying it, it is super hard going.If I read 15 pages each day, I will finish it in 6 weeks. I have a morning reading habit already so this should be achievable.

Habit: Read 15 pages before breakfast each morning

The main new habit I am going to form is 5 minutes of handstands followed by n pull ups each morning. The other two are just continuing or altering current habits.

• Like 4

As a former gymnast I admire your objectives - thigns I couldn't possibly do right now! Handstands were always a weekness for me - I'd stay up as long as it took to do the pirouette and then back down. Pull ups?! Ha! That's what kips/physics are for, right?! Uff. Kudos for such ambitious goals! 

And I loved GEB - enjoy!

Welcome to the fun!

I’m Hazard, one of the Assassin guild ambassadors.  It looks like with the handstand, pullups, and various bodyweight exercises you may have goals similar to what many in our guild work on, and we’d love to help you reach your goals!

Here is a link to more information about the Assassin guild.

And here is a link to the Assassin phonebook with a list of various exercises/skills that guild members are working on for this challenge, as well as links to their challenge topics.

If you ever have any questions or need help with anything, I would love to assist you!  An easy way to get my attention is to use the quote button at the bottom right corner of any of my posts.  I have the setting turned on that makes the forum alert me when somebody quotes me.  You can also get in touch with me easily through posting on my own challenge topic, on my battle log, or by using the messenger system (the envelope button at the very top of the screen).

There are numerous other people in the Assassin’s guild who you can also get help from.  I recommend stopping by the Assassin’s Den – a general chat thread in the guild forum – and introducing yourself.  You can always ask questions there too.

In any case, we’ll stop by from time to time to check in with you and offer support.  Good luck!

• Like 1

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

Welcome to the fun!

I’m Hazard, one of the Assassin guild ambassadors.  It looks like with the handstand, pullups, and various bodyweight exercises you may have goals similar to what many in our guild work on, and we’d love to help you reach your goals!

Hi Hazard,

Thanks so much for the warm welcome. I'll be sure to stop by and introduce myself in that thread. What you guys do sounds like my kind of thing - I like to work out where I can and don't like needing lots of equipment to do so.

I don't have any questions at the moment, just head down and carrying on with my training. :)

• Like 1

Good goals! I can relate to the desire to knock off workout time, there's only so many hours in the day. Kudos on the pull-up btw, that's WAY more than what I can do currently!

Thanks very much.

Faster Better Stronger etc :). Workout time is easily measurable so that's part of why I made it my goal.

Thanks for the kudos on the pullups. I couldn't even do a proper press up, let alone a pull up, 6 months ago when I discovered nerd fitness. Consistency is key, every day matters and every improvement, no matter how small, is important.

Hey, just stopping by to see how week 2 is going for you!

• Like 1

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Things are going well! I was away for a week but tried not to let that mess up my training.

I didn't miss a single skipping workout - today I hit a new best time of 10:15! Yay! I've kept up with my reading.

The other goals have slid a bit - I missed a couple of days of handstands and a couple of days of pull-ups. Not letting it bother me - back home now and much easier to keep to routine in a familiar environment!

• Like 1

Wow, awesome goals! Go for the gold!

Level 5 Half-Dwarf Ranger

STR 15 - DEX 11 - STA 5 - CON 13 - WIS 13 - CHA 10

Attack Your Weaknesses!!!

Challenges: 1 (c&j) | 2 (c2b) | 3 (DU) | 4 (OHS) | 5 (DU+OHS) | Fitness Goals 2014

History...

• Started CrossFit in April 2013: 205 lbs., 0 pull-ups, 10-minute mile, 2:00 500m row, could barely air squat
  • November 2013: 175 lbs., 15 pull-ups, 8-minute mile, 1:34 row 500m, 235-lb. squat
  • December 2013: 19 rounds of Cindy, Fran 9:09
  • February 2014: DL 315, clean 175, c&j 155, snatch 125
  • March 2014: 25+ double-unders, 95-lb. overhead squat 1RM
  • April 2014: 47 DU; c&j BW@175
  • May 2014: 4x OHS@95
  • June 2014: 1:30 row 500m
  • July 2014: first muscle-up, first HSPU
  • Before and After Photos

I have a confession to make.  I never finished GEB.  Please don't take away my philosophy and math degrees. 

Generally, I have to finish what I start, but some books are not meant to be read straight through.  I think GEB is one of those.  It worked great as a discussion starter.

Nice job on the workouts!!

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

I have a confession to make. I never finished GEB. Please don't take away my philosophy and math degrees.

Generally, I have to finish what I start, but some books are not meant to be read straight through. I think GEB is one of those. It worked great as a discussion starter.

Nice job on the workouts!!

I have a math degree too, so I feel like I should get through it eventually. You're probably right and I'll pick it back up again one day.

Thanks, the workouts are still going well!

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines