Kaylya goes 10k

Kaylya

Ultimate season is starting up near the end of this challenge, and I've got a 10k race to run on May 3rd. Once I'm done my race I'll swap some of the running to working on quick bursts & direction changes. I am aiming to do my 10k with 10/1 intervals and in under 1h 10 mins.

Goals

Run or Bike commute 10 times during challenge, including running home at least once per week

Run at least 100km during challenge

Run 3x per week and do strength training 2x per week

Do 4 morning workouts - try going to the gym at least once and going for a run at least once. I've been doing evening workouts, but really would like to give mornings a try.

Work on handstand progression, 5 minutes at least 4 days per week.

(Still a bit of a work in progress, I was away over the weekend :)

• Like 1

"None of us can choose to be perfect, but all of us can choose to be better." - Lou Schuler, New Rules of Lifting for Women

*waves*

Hello again!

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Lots of 10s and 1s in there, and handstands. Excellent. :)

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Worked on some (very low) wall planks. Must figure out if I'm doing something wrong or should wear shoes rather than bare feet, I was only able to grip by making use of the top of the moulding.. :)

"None of us can choose to be perfect, but all of us can choose to be better." - Lou Schuler, New Rules of Lifting for Women

Did Strength and some interval running today. Yesterday was really warm but lots of rain, today, winter has returned for a day...

Worked on some (very low) wall planks. Must figure out if I'm doing something wrong or should wear shoes rather than bare feet, I was only able to grip by making use of the top of the moulding.. :)

I can't claim to be an expert, as I'm still working on handstands myself, but I'd have to think that shoes would be helpful in gripping the wall.

Like Kailer, I'm a huge fan of the active commute. I can't speak for your situation, but I found it a great way to have a break between the stress of the office and home life. (At least, when I worked in an office. Now home is my office, so...)

Good luck!

Glad to see you braving the weather. How are the wall planks going? Handstands are having another big resurgence this challenge. I don't know if you've seen the Accountabiliwhatsit group that's been set up for them...? It's here if you're interested and there are some handstand gurus on hand for questions. 

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/46943-handstand-super-fun-study-group/

Me, I'd go with shoes but feel slightly guilty about the effect on the paintwork. If you have soft, bendy shoes like vibrams you're probably best using those.

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

I always do mine barefoot and then get guilted about the paint. Now that I'm kicking up instead of walking I catch less for it.

Spoiler

I will face my fear.
-Litany Against Fear

Shukar Still Isn't Lion

I did 8.7km running today. I did not run home this week. I've been slacking on handstand practice. I have a pare of barefoot Merrell's I wear to the gym I can try.

I uploaded my GPX from Runkeeper to Sportstracklive.com, which is another running tracking site/app that does a lot of neat splits - it tells me that my best 5k was in 37m 5s.

Edit: Just did my handstand practice (so, 2/4 for the week so far) - shoes definitely helped.

A:

Deadlift

Overhead press

Lat Pulldown

Lunges

Plank

B:

Squat

Dumbbell Row

Incline Push ups (sometimes bench press)

Step Ups

Prone Jacknife

About 3 sets of 8 reps of each (as long as I can for plank, which varies between 30-60 seconds; as many as I can for prone jacknife, which is usually 10-12)

Basically, phase 1 of New Rules of Lifting for Women; that program has you shift up the exercises every ~6 weeks but I haven't wanted to do that...

Ran home - under an hour! About 57 minutes. 3 minutes in Runkeeper said I'd walked over 1km and the map looked like a 3 year old's artwork, so I restarted it ;)

• Like 1

Smart to keep working on the exercises where you feel good. You don't want to push forward just because the program says to when you are still working where you are - or at least, I wouldn't think so. There are more proficient lifters around here whose opinions would be more valid.

Ah, Runkeeper. Mine also seems to have a 3-year-old doing the math sometimes *facepalm*

Level 7 DINOSAUR Scout
STR: 9 - CON: 12 - DEX: 6 - STA: 10 - WIS: 16 - CHA: 11
Current Challenge
Scouts Base Camp
Scouts Tavern

Nice - getting it done as ever. BTW, did that fish ever recover after you gave it the Heimlich manoeuvre?

Nice - getting it done as ever. BTW, did that fish ever recover after you gave it the Heimlich manoeuvre?

Hrm? I've never attempted the Heimlich maneuver on anything :tongue:

Did a bit of at home STR yesterday.

I plan to run ~9.5km today.

The picture in your avi. I assume that's you lending a hand after it choked on an unexpectedly large piece of plankton?

Ah. It's from a PETA campaign which I believe was trying to call fish Sea Kittens. Which amused me with how ridiculous it was.

Runkeeper logged today's run at 9.74km, in 1h 15 mins.

Sea kittens? Pffff!

Vicious anti-omnivore propaganda I say. I shall hug these sea kittens with my mouth. :)

Spoiler

I will face my fear.
-Litany Against Fear

Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Was going to run home last night, but the forecast had a very high chance of rain and was really windy, so I went to the gym instead.

I did some primarily upper body STR work with a few squats for good measure, then did some faster running. Now I'm mostly going to rest up for my race - I should get on top of my wall planks for hand stands though, I've been really slacking there. 1h 15 mins is probably more realistic as a time; I'll get to run the first 2-3km with a friend who is doing 5k, before the 10k splits off into it's extra out and back.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines