• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ravnos

Ravnos' mission to recenter himself

As my sixth challenge, I'm looking to recenter and bring clarity back to my lift. I joined Nerd Fitness back in August on 2013 with a mission in mind, and I have lost the path toward that goals. The wilderness I'm wandering in isn't where I want to be, and while not all journeys are fraught with danger, this one is. I need to take some time to look inward and focus on the things that bring me happiness, strength, honor, wisdom and peace.

Main Quest: Drop to 8% BF, eliminate stomach fat. Squat 1.5x Bodyweight, Deadlift 2x bodyweight. OHP, Bench and Row 1x bodyweight.

This continues to be my overarching body goal. I'm getting pretty close, but this challenge I am adding an addition to it. I'm focusing more on mental and spiritual health this challenge, rather than just fitness.

In order to hit this goal I am driving forward with several sub goals, which will be worked into this challenge.

• Steadily increase my Squat, Deadlift and Pull Ups in weight and number.
  • Do Salmon Ladder Pull-Ups. Because... seriously.
  • I also want to, eventually, get my mile-run speed down to 7 minutes solid.

arrow-2a-arrowgifs.gif

I'm starting this challenge two days late because PAX East was last weekend and I got the dreaded con crud, so I'm a bit under the weather. That means no gym, but a focus on eating right and resting. So let's get on with it.

Quest 1: Rest [Con]

This one is simple - get enough sleep. I haven't been sleeping much lately and I need to get back into a solid rhythm/pattern of rest. This means focusing on my morning and evening routines, getting at least 7 hours of sleep at night and waking up before the sun every morning.

Morning - Wake up before the sun, drink a glass of water, stretch and do pull ups, push ups and lunges - 3 sets of 3.

Drink first cup of coffee. Check email, Facebook, Twitter, webcomics and blogs within first hour of waking up.

Shower, make breakfast, drink second cup of coffee. Finish up routine Internet things within second hour of waking up. Start working.

Evening - Eat dinner before sunset.

Turn off screens at least 30 minutes before sleep, light candles and lamps and read till at least 7 hours before sunrise - go to bed.

That's it - easy enough, right?

Quest 2: Meditate [Wis]

My goal this challenge is to meditate for at least 5-15 minutes every day. This can be at any time during the day - meditation on a schedule doesn't work for me. Furthermore, this needs to be zazen meditation, not any other kind. Focused on breathing and mindfulness.

Quest 3: Eat Right [Con]

Get my eating on track, drink less and go primal. This is more or less habit for me, but lately I've been drinking more and caring about my food less. So, as part of this challenge I need to get back into tracking my food on MyFitnessPal, as this helps keep me accountable.

Negative points for more than 3 drinks a week and for any non-primal foods I imbibe. Must track every meal on MyFitnessPal every day.

Life Quest: Explore my ancestral heritage [Cha]

I've been exploring Asatru - the religion of the vikings - recently, and I want to learn more and delve deeper into the community in my area. I'm attending a May Day Blot on April 26, and participation here, as well as weekly devotionals and research are the quest here. This is as basic as honoring the gods and my ancestors once a week, and doing some reading on Asatru, the Eddas and other materials.

Fitness Quest: Workout [str]

Keeping steady with my fitness goals as well - My final quest is to continue working out. I did a deload in my Stronglifts program and I'm going to start from there, working on progressive loading back up to my primary strength goals. So the prerequisites for this quest are lifting, moving and doing yoga three times a week.

Onward!

• Like 4

Nice. I like how specific you are. I have found I need to do that also or I give myself too much wiggle room to cheat.

Salmon Ladder- thanks for that pic. I can watch that all day long. What's up with him not working out anymore? I loved those scenes.

As usual learned a few new things from your post. Thanks.

• Like 2

Have fun at the Blot [Old Norse, Blestian in Old English, Blessing in Modern English for those who maybe confused].

Remember to drink from the narrow side of the mead horn, or you will wear the mead. 

I will tag along as best I can. 

• Like 2

Greetings Ravnos, you are very welcome to rest here at the Druids beach (it is where we go when it is spring/summer and want to get out of the forest).

The whole setting of your challenge feels very sincere, and serious (and a little scary for a Druid).

It's good for us to get some inspiration!!

Do you wake up before sunrise on your own or is setting that internal alarm part of the challenge?

Sleep is a vital cornerstone for health, and there is no cheating, so you have made a good choice.

I also practice zazen, and enjoy it very much.

What kind of yoga will you practice, are you a beginner or do you have experience already?

Namaste!

I got the dreaded con crud

what?

I expect weekly reports of your learnings about Asatru :P

(and a little scary for a Druid).

That+awkward+moment+when+you+quote+Phil+
Ravnos is an scary person not to be trifled with.

Greetings Ravnos, you are very welcome to rest here at the Druids beach (it is where we go when it is spring/summer and want to get out of the forest).

The whole setting of your challenge feels very sincere, and serious (and a little scary for a Druid).

It's good for us to get some inspiration!!

Do you wake up before sunrise on your own or is setting that internal alarm part of the challenge?

Sleep is a vital cornerstone for health, and there is no cheating, so you have made a good choice.

I also practice zazen, and enjoy it very much.

What kind of yoga will you practice, are you a beginner or do you have experience already?

Namaste!

Thanks! Setting the internal alarm is part of the challenge. I set my alarm clock for 6 currently and wake up generally well rested, but if I didn't set that alarm I'd sleep till 8.

I'm fairly experienced with yoga, I do Vinyasa, about 10 minutes a day on workout days. I should probably do it every day but I have trouble setting aside time when I'm not at the gym.

what?

I expect weekly reports of your learnings about Asatru :tongue:

That+awkward+moment+when+you+quote+Phil+
Ravnos is an scary person not to be trifled with.

Con Crud = the general plague that the unbathed masses bring to conventions with them.

I will keep you in the loop...

and haha, thanks.

• Like 2

Heya! Wonderful challenge! 8% BF is so awesome (even as a goal).

I'm thinking that the sleep goal may be harder than it sounds ;). I've tried sleep goals before and theses are actually hard!

Beware of using candlelight for reading though, might be bad for your eyes. Make sure that there is enough light when you read. :)

again, another person of faith...I am researching some of the Christian mystics...and right now, I find joan of arc very inspiring. I don't know that she counts as a mystic...but, I want this type of devotion in my faith.

I pray that you find the faith that fills your heart, and gives you direction and peace!

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Great goals, those salmon ladder things still astound me!

How was Pax East?! I watched the Acquisitions Inc game the other night, and was very jealous of people there xD

Thanks all!

Heya! Wonderful challenge! 8% BF is so awesome (even as a goal).

I'm thinking that the sleep goal may be harder than it sounds ;). I've tried sleep goals before and theses are actually hard!

Beware of using candlelight for reading though, might be bad for your eyes. Make sure that there is enough light when you read. :)

Oh I am well aware. I actually use an oil lamp which gives off a LOT of light, so I'm being good about that.

Found you!!  I have to say, the beach is a nice place to hang out. 

It can be - I prefer the woods through ;-). 

again, another person of faith...I am researching some of the Christian mystics...and right now, I find joan of arc very inspiring. I don't know that she counts as a mystic...but, I want this type of devotion in my faith.
I pray that you find the faith that fills your heart, and gives you direction and peace!

Early Christian mysticism is fascinating. I studied a lot of it in college (I was a philosophy and religious studies major). There's a great book called "The Mystical Mind" by Eugene d'Aquili and Andrew Newberg you should check out. My struggle with spirituality is that I've always almost automatically discarded the belief side, interpreted it as a moral code, and continued on being an Atheist. Asatru is the first "religion" that has actually appealed to me on a beliefs level as well as a moral one.

good to see you again! great goals

i hear getting into genealogy can be very addictive

It can be! I've been using ancestry.com and Family Tree Maker software and was able to loosely track my family back to the 1000's CE in England! It's great fun.

Great goals, those salmon ladder things still astound me!

How was Pax East?! I watched the Acquisitions Inc game the other night, and was very jealous of people there xD

PAX was, sadly, actually kind of a disappointment this year for me. The first year I went was amazing, last year was slightly less amazing but still quite fun, but this year seemed to kind of be... a waste of money? There were no panels that I wanted to go to other than Acquisitions Inc., which was fun, and the Expo Hall was very... poor this year. Nothing new came out that was worth looking at - Nintendo didn't even bother coming this year and they had the best showing on the Expo floor last year... It basically just turned into "sit in the tabletop gaming area with my friends and do what we do at home... but surrounded by hundreds of other people doing the same thing." We (my finacee and I) are actually thinking about skipping next year. Which might be a good idea because the Necronomi-Con (Lovecraft convention) that just started up last August (2013) has decided to skip 2014 and host the next one in 2015 - which we had a blast at and want to go to again, so it might be good to save the money instead of going to two conventions next year.

So I kind of skipped week one of the challenge, mostly because I was ill all week. I still have a lingering cough but I'm feeling much, much better. While I didn't go to the gym or worry about meditating last week. I did track my meals, read every day and focus on sleep, so it wasn't a complete wash.

Basically what I'm saying is the challenge is actually starting for me today. Woo let's do this!

sounds like the challenge DIDstart for you last week - with the things that you continued to do while you were ill. those are some of your goals, right? that weren't related to exercise?

So - it was a warm up week - glad to have you back at RPG! get better now!

Sucks that it was a disappointment, I don't know how much tickets were, but I can imagine. I think that's the one thing I'd worry about going to anything like that - what if I don't like it?

Necronomi-con sounds cool, I remember hearing about it last year :D

• Like 1

Oh yeah, I did try to meditate while sick before, and it was hard to focus on natural breathing when each breath seems like an effort with a blocked nose and a burning throat!

So don't worry about the missed workouts and meditation. Now it's time to make your awesome comeback. :)

Update!

Gym was good yesterday. I was already planning on doing a deload last week after PAX for the first week of the challenge, but being sick for a week made it a necessity. I dropped most of my lifts by 20-25 pounds, so I only benched and rows 115 lb. Still not squatting because.... there's no squat rack at the gym any more. I just load the best leg press machine in the gym up with an absurd amount of weight (185 last time) and bust out 5x5. It's pathetic how much "easier" leg press is than squatting because of the machine.

Had a big of pain in my left knee. Probably due to weather/inactivity. That's the knee that got messed up in my accident last October. It mostly bothered me when doing burpee's in my warmup. Hopefully that's gone on Wednesday but we'll see.

Did yoga, felt good. Little pain in my left shoulder, almost entirely from stiffness due to inactivity. Gone today.

Woke up a bit coughy this morning, had to "expel" quite a bit of mucus, so I didn't do my morning workout again, Going to wait till I wake up 100 percent. It's taking me anywhere from 1 to 3 hours in the morning to shake the cough and get to full energy, so I definitely need the extra hour of sleep + relaxation in the morning that I've been taking.

Trying to figure out some diet stuff. I need to eat more, but can't really afford to. I already buy about 8 pounds of meat a week and more than double that in veggies (fresh and frozen, for two people). That's a little over a pound of protein a day + at least a pound of veggies, then some fruit, nuts, yogurt, larabars, eggs and the occasional protein bar or jerky for breakfast and snacks. Add in the vegetarian stuff that my fiancee eats and I'm spending more than $100 a week on food, usually closer to $150. I don't consider that to be bad, but I can't really afford to increase it much more. The issue is that I know I'm not eating enough food for maintenance levels, let alone muscle building which I plan on migrating into once I kill this last couple percentage of body fat. I need to reassess the food situation. Or get a new job that pays more (working on that).

• Like 1

So I'm apparently bad at this...

I didn't do a deload yesterday. I thought I was up to 135 on my bench and row, but in fact I lifted the amount I was struggling with 2 weeks ago, and had an easier gym day than normal...

How does that work? Apparently taking 1.5 weeks off to rest makes your muscles want to break PRs?

• Like 1

each time I think about cutting the grocery bill - I remember when we didn't have much - we stretched our food with rice, oatmeal, beans, bread, and such - carbs! and I tried not to feed empty carbs...but, we did what we could with five kiddos.

WildRoss and I were talking about what we "should' be eating for me to lose weight but build muscle and for him to maintain his muscle. I was trying to fill out with eggs - but they are not the highest forms of protein...it is tricky...it is frustrating...and I just pray that God will bless the food as we eat it.

Maybe for us, it will take NOT eating out...which we are working on, except when traveling!

Good luch - you have fought so much - I'm sure that you will get through this fight as well - fight as in battle - the battle of the budget!

each time I think about cutting the grocery bill - I remember when we didn't have much - we stretched our food with rice, oatmeal, beans, bread, and such - carbs! and I tried not to feed empty carbs...but, we did what we could with five kiddos.

WildRoss and I were talking about what we "should' be eating for me to lose weight but build muscle and for him to maintain his muscle. I was trying to fill out with eggs - but they are not the highest forms of protein...it is tricky...it is frustrating...and I just pray that God will bless the food as we eat it.

Maybe for us, it will take NOT eating out...which we are working on, except when traveling!

Good luch - you have fought so much - I'm sure that you will get through this fight as well - fight as in battle - the battle of the budget!

Yeah that was our first move. We didn't eat out often, but it was something like 3, MAYBE 4 times a month. We've cut that down to once, which helps. I also used to drink a lot more, which I've severely cut back on - used to be about one drink every day, now I have maybe 3 a week - which helped. I can't even imagine what our budget would look like if I still smoked...

Neither of us eat any carbs other than veggies and fruit (for the most part), I'd like to keep it that way personally. I do keep a supply of rice in the back of the pantry though for emergencies/the one time a year we both get a craving for Spanish Rice (I make it meat heavy with lots of olive oil though haha). I eat a lot of eggs, which definitely helps, but there's only so many I can stand in a day lol.

• Like 1

I was going to write that up - 'how many eggs can you eat in a day???" And I love love love eggs! But sometimes, I want REDMEAT! or the other white meats...LOL.

We just have to make our schedule agree with our food choices...and when out traveling, like we are this week - plan to choose...plan where to choose...and then make that choice. Dairy - that keeps sneaking in, unless I order something special, which is NOT a fast food place! ;-)

But, this is the job that Jim has...and if I want to go with him...I have to make it my job to find what I can eat...and mostly, this last week, except for the dairy, and some bread on sandwiches - I've done good - no sugar, other than a french toast plate on Easter that I shared with Jim...I'm happy with this last week. But looking forward to no dairy this next week! And no bread! GreatJob, Rav...great job!

I was going to write that up - 'how many eggs can you eat in a day???" And I love love love eggs! But sometimes, I want REDMEAT! or the other white meats...LOL.

We just have to make our schedule agree with our food choices...and when out traveling, like we are this week - plan to choose...plan where to choose...and then make that choice. Dairy - that keeps sneaking in, unless I order something special, which is NOT a fast food place! ;-)

But, this is the job that Jim has...and if I want to go with him...I have to make it my job to find what I can eat...and mostly, this last week, except for the dairy, and some bread on sandwiches - I've done good - no sugar, other than a french toast plate on Easter that I shared with Jim...I'm happy with this last week. But looking forward to no dairy this next week! And no bread! GreatJob, Rav...great job!

Haha I haven't eaten bread in 8 months.

• Like 1

Yeah, the leg press was a joke for me. I used to do 350-400 lb when I went to the gym.

I hear ya on the knee. Once in a great while my left knee acts up from the bus pull I did almost a year ago. Stupid getting old...

And yes- taking some time of can help the muscles, and sometimes hinder them. Consider it a bonus and keep going :P

• Like 1