AverageFish Finds Focus

AverageFish

Life goal:  “We do what we have to do in order to do what we want to do.† This inspirational quote from the movie The Great Debaters fits nicely with my long-term goal of healthy active aging.   Focusing now on a healthy lifestyle and fulfilling career will make life so much better later on, physically, mentally, and emotionally.

Goal 1:  Focus on sleep.  Yes, this again.  I can’t always control how quickly I fall asleep, or how well I sleep, but I can control how much time I give my body to sleep if it wants to.  Lights out 8 hours before it’s time to get upBonus: figure out what things keep me from getting enough sleep, and eliminate them if I can.  CON 3 CHA 2

Goal 2:  Focus on work:  I have a bad habit of wasting time if it’s not fully scheduled, and wasting it on things I don’t really enjoy.   I need to take advantage of downtime (both at work and at home) to be more productive.  Sleeping more will make me more focused whatever I'm doing.  Spend at least half of unscheduled time at work being productive; spend at least 2 hours of each ½ day off work being productive.  Bonus:  develop an organizational system (or find an existing one) to consolidate to-do lists so I don’t waste time figuring out what I need to do and don’t lose track of the important stuff.  WIS 3 CHA 1

Goal 3:  Focus on nutrition.  Now that I’ve gotten into the habit of tracking on FitDay, I’m a bit appalled at how far my diet and exercise have strayed from what I have long considered my usual healthy habits.  Time to get back to my old routine.  Sleep and time management will help me make healthy choices more easily.  Continuing to track will give me a realistic idea of how well (or poorly) I’m doing.  Average (weekly) no more than 2200 cal/day, with <20% of those calories coming from junk food.  For me, junk is mostly sweets, although in recent years some empty carbs (chips, French fries) have crept back in after a long absence.  The bad news is this challenge includes 3 days of travel for vacation and 3 days of travel for work, and travel times tend to be less healthy eating times.  The good news is I have some days off at home to help with planning and execution.   Bonus: go cookie free.  My two-a-day chocolate chip cookie habit is counterproductive.  CON 3

Life goal:  Finish what I’ve started.  This is a reading goal.  I have two book group meetings in the next two weeks (and probably a 3rd meeting by the end of the challenge) and a ridiculously large pile of started-but-not-finished books on my bedside table.  I've gotten behind and been showing up at book group without finishing the reading far too often lately.  And to make matters worse, I haven't really been doing any other reading in the time I could have been doing book group reading (I blame the internet).  For a lifelong lover of reading, this is a sorry state of affairs.  Finish book group books on time and finish at least one of the incomplete books by the end of the challenge.   Bonus: recycle (read or unread) some of the magazines that have been piling up at home and journals that have been piling up at work.  WIS 3

I realize not much here is directly fitness related, but I think the focus on time management and organization (and sleep) will pay off in the long run with more time to exercise, which I actually enjoy when I have time for it.  Besides, my schedule is so variable the next several weeks that setting goals of doing certain exercises a certain number of times seems doomed to fail (as it has in the past).

Hooray sleeping!

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Deal!

Although it raises the question: do fish sleep?

Yes they do!

Several reef fish make mucus nests so that their scent and electrical signature is hidden from predators  :onthego:

See our favorite parrotfish aka Rainbow Fish if you grew up with the kid's book.

STRENGTH (0) | DEXTERITY (-1) | CONSTITUTION (1) | WISDOM (3) | INTELLIGENCE (3) | CHARISMA (2)

Syren  -- Chaotic Good -- Human Druish Ranger -- Current Challenge -- Battle Log

Yes they do!

Several reef fish make mucus nests so that their scent and electrical signature is hidden from predators :onthego:

Mucus nests. I need one of those.

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Checking in a bit late. I like the goals very much. I trust you have spent the week destroying them...?

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Yes they do!

Several reef fish make mucus nests so that their scent and electrical signature is hidden from predators  :onthego:

See our favorite parrotfish aka Rainbow Fish if you grew up with the kid's book.

Interesting.  I'm not sure about the scent, but I would imagine an electric blanket would help mask my electrical signature enough to throw predators off the track?

Checking in a bit late. I like the goals very much. I trust you have spent the week destroying them...?

Not sure about destroying them -- cautiously appraising them from a distance, perhaps?  No, not that bad.  I'll go with actively engaging them, although not to the point of really wrestling with them.

Week 1 report, far earlier than usual. Vacation followed by a long holiday weekend will do that for me.

Goal 1:  Focus on sleep:  Lights out 8 hours before it’s time to get up.  Done, 6 5 out of 6 nights so far (see page-turning fiction below).  Bonus: figure out what things keep me from getting enough sleep, and eliminate them if I can.  Well, long hours at work and the need to get things done in the evening come to mind.  But Terinatum's mini-challenge made me focus on electronics, and moving from the iPad to a book or Kindle seems to help.  Page-turning fiction less so.  CON 3 CHA 2

Goal 2:  Focus on work:  Spend at least half of unscheduled time at work being productive; spend at least 2 hours of each ½ day off work being productive.  Pretty good this week, got a lot of stuff done that I wanted to while on vacation (or urgent things that popped up and needed doing).  Did spend one long afternoon lounging with a book, which was relaxing but I won't quite count it as productive.  I'll go ahead and count this afternoon since it will be mostly filled with a nice long walk in the spring sunshine.  13/14.  Bonus:  develop an organizational system (or find an existing one) to consolidate to-do lists so I don’t waste time figuring out what I need to do and don’t lose track of the important stuff.  WIS 3 CHA 1

Goal 3:  Focus on nutrition. .  Average (weekly) no more than 2200 cal/day, with <20% of those calories coming from junk food.  Not even close.  We'll see how today goes, but so far 0/6 7(it's easier to calculate Sunday through Saturday with FitDay).  Bonus: go cookie free.  My two-a-day chocolate chip cookie habit is counterproductive.  I made it 3 days without cookies, then made the mistake of buying too many for a group and having leftovers.  They're gone now, so that will help.  The real challenge will be avoiding the free cookies at work next week. 3/6.  CON 3

Life goal:  Finish what I’ve started:.  Finish book group books on time and finish at least one of the incomplete books by the end of the challenge.   Didn't finish last week's book on time, but already finished the one for this week.  1/2 so far.  Bonus: recycle (read or unread) some of the magazines that have been piling up at home and journals that have been piling up at work.  None yet.  WIS 3

Hm, I see what you mean. How are you getting in with the to do list one? I can recommend Any.do as a way of collecting and organising stuff if it helps. Getting organised is harder than it should be. I read "Getting Things Done" a while ago and git a lot of ideas from it but I have no idea how anyone can actually implement it 100%.

Hm, I see what you mean. How are you getting in with the to do list one? I can recommend Any.do as a way of collecting and organising stuff if it helps. Getting organised is harder than it should be. I read "Getting Things Done" a while ago and git a lot of ideas from it but I have no idea how anyone can actually implement it 100%.

Thanks for the tip.  I'll look in to any.do.  Does it help organize things by breaking big projects down into smaller steps?

I started with the 7 Habits, which is good for big picture thinking but not so much for day-to-day management.  One of my colleagues read "Getting Things Done" and swears by it (and an app called "Things" which apparently follows the same system); my husband read it and like you took some good ideas from it.  I may try to adapt his (my husband's) system that he based on the "Getting Things Done."  We still have "Getting Things Done," and I also have "Zen To Done" which supposedly simplifies things further.  Reading them is probably my next step, but I want to finish up some of my other nonfiction reading first.  Although maybe that is going about things backwards  Hmmmm....

Mm, ironic how productivity, as a topic, can be such a source of underpantgnomery. Any.do is very much a straight to do list. What I like about it is it has easy capture and every day it shows you the stuff that's due and let's you sort it into time slots so you always have the most current stuff in view. These things are very personal though. I also use Evernote for lists of stuff to refer back to. Some people do GTD on it (I've seen a tutorial showing how) but I don't think it's that kind of app at all.

Week 2 report.  I keep reminding myself it was another travel week, so some dietary lapses were bound to happen...

Goal 1:  Focus on sleep:  Lights out 8 hours before it’s time to get up.  9/13 so far.  Not to bad given the time changes involved.  Bonus: figure out what things keep me from getting enough sleep, and eliminate them if I can. Sticking with the book rather than iPad as the last thing before lights out. CON 3 CHA 2

Goal 2:  Focus on work:  Spend at least half of unscheduled time at work being productive; spend at least 2 hours of each ½ day off work being productive.  If I count time sitting in airports and on airplanes, this was a success.  And even during my more scheduled time at work, I was focusing on squeezing in little tasks between big ones.  16/17.  Bonus:  develop an organizational system (or find an existing one) to consolidate to-do lists so I don’t waste time figuring out what I need to do and don’t lose track of the important stuff.  Still thinking about this one.  I have a bad habit of getting a jillion great ideas of things to do when I'm at meetings, writing them all down, and never doing any of them.  I would like to organize, prioritize and narrow down this list considerably by the end of the week.  WIS 3 CHA 1

Goal 3:  Focus on nutrition. .  Average (weekly) no more than 2200 cal/day, with <20% of those calories coming from junk food.  A little better this week -- I actually had 2 days when I achieved the calorie goal.  To keep this from being too negative, I'm going to start counting successful days rather than focus on weekly averages.  Consistency is probably the most important thing.  2/14.  Bonus: go cookie free.  My two-a-day chocolate chip cookie habit is counterproductive.  Only ate cookies once this week (not being at work helped).  But I seem to have substituted brownies 3 days, so i won't count them.  10/14.  CON 3

Life goal:  Finish what I’ve started:.  Finish book group books on time and finish at least one of the incomplete books by the end of the challenge.   Made some progress on the book for next month while sitting in aforementioned airports and airplanes.  1/2 so far.  Bonus: recycle (read or unread) some of the magazines that have been piling up at home and journals that have been piling up at work.  None yet.  WIS 3

Time well wasted, I say. Hey, if you change your name to AverageSeaKitten @Kaylya will give you a hug.

I think AverageFishySeaKittenPanda has a nice ring to it.

I wasn't actually wasting time on the forums, I was wasting time watching movie previews on Amazon Prime.

And other time devouring internet evilness. Checking in on my fellow rebels reminded me I was supposed to be actually doing something on my afternoon off, so that was definitely time well spent. Unfortunately by then it was time to go meet the family for dinner, but I did exercise after.

Days off usually get a lot of internet attention. Unless it is pretty outside, then, then I feel I must be doing something out there where the sunshine is, and dirt, and trees and such. 

STRENGTH (0) | DEXTERITY (-1) | CONSTITUTION (1) | WISDOM (3) | INTELLIGENCE (3) | CHARISMA (2)

Syren  -- Chaotic Good -- Human Druish Ranger -- Current Challenge -- Battle Log

Days off usually get a lot of internet attention. Unless it is pretty outside, then, then I feel I must be doing something out there where the sunshine is, and dirt, and trees and such. 

Fortunately tomorrow is supposed to be sunshiny, with lots of planned outdoor walking.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines