karinajean fights to be fit: unlocking strength, endurance, and skill

Thank you! kitty is A-OK.

her toe is swollen and they did an xray and there's no fracture.

I was nervous all day! she wasn't putting any weight on her rear leg and I jumped immediately to the most dire conclusions like: OH NO SHE MUST HAVE A RAPIDLY PROGRESSING PARALYSIS. or even worse: OH NO LOOK AT HOW HER STOMACH DRAGS SHE MUST HAVE A SEVERED SPINE. so it was great to find out that she just stubbed her toe.

14006036222_18e84ecb5a_o.jpgphoto by karinajean, on Flickr

they gave her a pain killer that's not supposed to alter her moods but she has been super sweet. SHE EVEN LET ME PET HER BELLY.

Other things that happened:

I ate a lot of arugula. breakfast and lunch looked pretty much the same but lunch the arugula was wilted and contained mushrooms.

14009700274_6ca32c2280_o.jpgphoto by karinajean, on Flickr

I drank lots and lots of herbal tea all day because my throat hurt and also because we were out of milk, so no black tea.

I was late to tkd but went to the last 30 min. of class, instead of missing it all (I was at the vet).

I was LATE to bed, though. and this morning I felt it - my cold is horrible, and my throat hurts even more. and kitty was so sweet and snuggly and I did NOT want to get up and do exercises. But I did, and did the first round of reps and then decided I felt like crap so I did another round with just the exercises I wanted to do (so, assisted pull-ups, hip raises, inverted rows, and my substitute for knees to bar which is really sit on a bench and pull your knees to your chest and then extend your legs straight out), and then went to work.

ugh, my throat is the pits right now, and I hope it gets better soon!

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Good luck with getting healthy again.  What a beautiful fluff ball of a cat.... so glad she is ok.  But wow, must get my boy cat those drugs, am never allowed to pet his belly, even though it has a bulls eye black spot that is incredibly tempting......  Has she started "helping" with your BW workouts?

Your wilted greens (spelling fail here) with egg and mushrooms looks amazing (was garlic involved, plus, surely surely, black pepper??).  Yum!

• Like 1

NF challenges: March 2018 , 12 , 11 , 10, 9876, 54321

Your cat looks adorable! I'm glad to see that it was only physical, and I'm also glad to see that you made it to your TKD class!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

MEOW! Pretty kitty!

Lunch looks amazing, as usual.

Good on you for going to TKD even though you were late. It would have been easy to turn that into an excuse.

thank you! yeah, I did have that moment of "oh I should just stay home" but I had texted the instructor earlier and let her know I might be late, so even though I missed 1/2 the class I still felt like I should go. that was a good trick that I need to remember: tell people where you are and what you're doing so you stay accountable.

Good luck with getting healthy again.  What a beautiful fluff ball of a cat.... so glad she is ok.  But wow, must get my boy cat those drugs, am never allowed to pet his belly, even though it has a bulls eye black spot that is incredibly tempting......  Has she started "helping" with your BW workouts?

Your wilted greens (spelling fail here) with egg and mushrooms looks amazing (was garlic involved, plus, surely surely, black pepper??).  Yum!

oh, she SO helps. she likes to make sure my plank positioning is JUST RIGHT, and I'm sure she's checking my stability when she rubs up against me, and when I'm doing handstand practice she makes sure I'm really concentrating by sitting right underneath my head so I don't fall down.

I didn't have any time for garlic with lunch, but I'm thinking I should caramelize a bunch of onions and stick them in the freezer some day when I have some free time in the kitchen. I had some nearly-caramelized onions with brunch on sunday and they were SO AMAZING, I always forget. It'll be easier to use if they're on-hand.

Your cat looks adorable! I'm glad to see that it was only physical, and I'm also glad to see that you made it to your TKD class!

thank you! She's pretty much mastered walking with three legs (hopping around) and I know she's feeling better because she takes a swipe at me now when I call her hoppy. poor kitters, I hope her toe heals quickly and she can go back to being her normal adorable feisty playful creature.

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Weekend Update!

* Sat. my husband and I showed up at the dojo for boxing class and it was cancelled. Aw. so I went home and gardened (pulled weeds) for 30 min., and then went back for tae kwon do class with one of my stepdudes. Class was awesome - super fast-paced, lots of sparring and forms mixed up together. Gardening was also great, I have to go back and clean up but I SERIOUSLY pruned a shasta daisy plant we have that has been well out of control for a few years, and I weeded a garden bed that may or may not have gladiolus in it still from last year, and certainly has a peony growing.

* Sunday I got up and went for a run before we went into NYC for a super decadent brunch with steak and eggs and bloody marys and GUYS I'M SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS:

14044967662_73079122bf.jpgphoto by karinajean, on Flickr

Getting into regular 5K shape with under 10 min. miles has been a goal of mine for a while that I've not worked THAT hard at, and I planned to start focusing on in June - but DUDES maybe I'm already there!

Let me take this moment to tell you all about my long term running plans.

Really, my goals are to get under 10min. miles, and to have stamina and cardio fortitude for not just the short-burst sparring we have at tkd, but for longer duration exercise too.

I like doing both running and bodyweight workouts because they neatly complement each other. the bodyweight workouts are really super good, and I love building muscle and gaining skills (PULL-UPS ONE DAY YOU WILL BE MINE) but the running/cardio fits in with my desire to drink beers and also to lose a little weight.

Right now I'm doing the hal higdon 10K novice training which is SO reasonable and ALSO it includes a requirement for strength training (yay!). The running bits are 3x a week, like so:

Week 1 2.5 Mi/ 2 Mi/ 3 Mi

Week 2 2.5 Mi/ 2 Mi/ 3.5 Mi <--- this is me

Week 3 2.5 Mi/ 2 Mi/ 4 Mi

Week 4 3 Mi/ 2 Mi/ 4 Mi

Week 5 3 Mi/ 2 Mi/ 4.5 Mi

Week 6 3 Mi/ 2 Mi/ 5 Mi <-- I'm going on vacation around here, and may not finish the rest of the program

Week 7 3 Mi/ 2 Mi/ 5.5 Mi

Week 8 3 Mi/ 2 Mi/ 10K

The 5K intermediate is running 5x a week, and includes 3 "straight" runs, 1 day of intervals or tempo runs, alternating each week, and a day of slowly progressing longer runs.

it's going to be tricker to fit this into the early morning bodyweight workouts with my husband, so I'm waiting until after my black belt test to work it in. one serious thing to worry about at a time, I figure.

Strength and cross training is required with this, though, so I think it'll mesh with my bodyweight goals and my tae kwon do as well.

Depending on how that goes, I would like to try and train harder for the 10K I'm doing in Pittsburgh in September with the 10K intermediate training. this one has running 5 days a week with 3 days "regular" runs, 1 day interval/tempo runs, and 1 day of slowly progressing longer runs. This one might be a little harder to fit in with bodyweight and tae kwon do, and as of now, I'm not willing to let the running take over (I want to do ALL THE THINGS, remember?)

• Like 3

Week 2 Results!

* Endurance - Hal Higdon training program - Completed week 2 of the novice 10K training and did REALLY GOOD on the long run. super pleased with my speed.

* Strength - bodyweight workouts 3x a week and daily handstand practice - I hit BW 3x and I did handstands on M/T/W/Th/F. Nothing on the weekend. That's ok.

* Skill - tkd all the time. I attended 3 of 3 possible tkd classes. Again, I didn't practice my forms at home at all, that needs to improve. I am getting stressed out at class by the stuff I don't know, and I have to take control of that and get better.

Key Mission tools:

* Drink more water - I kind of stopped paying attention to this mid-week. MOST of the week I managed to maintain 2x water to 1x caffeinated beverages. F/Sa/Su I didn't measure.

* Sleep at 9:30 - um not really. this week I was nodding off on the couch a few nights. week 2 I need to do better.

* More vegetables and clean protein - I had arugula every single day of the week, sometimes at 2 meals.

No measurements this week, and my weight fluctuated a LOT during the week. I know that it does this! so I prefer to look at a 5-day rolling average. Over the last 2 weeks I started out at 196.9 and have dropped to below 196 for the last several readings. That's good! a pretend 2 lb weight loss. OF COURSE there was birthday week in there, and that skews the first week higher.

EDITED BECAUSE CHANGING MY MIND.

if one has a fancy withings scale, one should make full use of the internet to import fancy withings scale info into trendweight.com and generate this graph based on the hackers diet:

2w.png

which indicates I did NOT lose 2 lbs of pretend weight, but DID lose 0.4 lbs of actual weight. or something. the important thing is that there is a downward trend.

I'm planning on doing measurements again next week for a mid-challenge check in. and maybe pictures.

NOTES

I think I'm at a tipping point for TOTAL BIG CHANGE.

like, right now, if I focus right on eating my scales will start to creep down again.

when I did this kind of level of exercise last fall it was around weeks 3-4 that the weight loss started to happen. I do have about 20 lbs to lose, roughly, maybe, so that would be a good thing. At the same time I'm managing my calories pretty closely and I know that I need to eat enough to support all the muscles I'm using, too, so for the first few weeks at this level of exertion I don't anticipate any *real* weight loss at all. EDIT: this is TOTALLY substantiated by the graph posted above. ha!

ALL THAT SAID what the heck am I going to eat for lunch today?

I'm going out with work for a bowing party tonight so I want to make sure I'm eating reasonably today beforehand so I don't fill up on bowling alley finger foods!

• Like 2

Arugula!?  ;P

can you believe it? I'M ALL OUT! four pounds of argula, all eaten up between wednesday and sat.!

edited to add ZOMG I ate 1 lb of arugula a day.

this is TOTALLY substantiated by the graph posted above. ha!

I can't see the graph . . . :(

How am I supposed to get my inner nerd on without graphage?!?

Seriously though, you're rocking it!  Looking forward to seeing you crossing the tipping point into WOWness!

• Like 1

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

I can't see the graph . . . :(

How am I supposed to get my inner nerd on without graphage?!?

Seriously though, you're rocking it!  Looking forward to seeing you crossing the tipping point into WOWness!

KHHHHHHAAAAAAAAANNNNNNN!

no seriously I don't know what's going on with that. jerks. let me work on it.

and thanks! :)

• Like 1

soooo the embed link is unreliable. therefore I will embed my own link.

042914weights

so basically, even though my scale weight was 197 on 4/14, with the trend line generated from the hackers diet my weight should sorta kinda be considered 196.5. and even though my scale weight today is 195.6, my trended weight should sorta kinda be considered 196. which means I've lost 0.5 lbs, which is really all I honestly expect to lose every week, so I'm doing mostly pretty much ok (considering BIRTHDAY WEEK).

• Like 1

* Monday - body weight workout. Ugh, you know what I hate? Jump squats. but DUDES, you know what I'm excited about? when I first started doing the jump squats I could do 5 at a time, and I did my set of 15 by doing 5 at a time 3x. I can totally do all 15 now, one after another! yay!

* Tuesday - run ran! look at this! 

14070764284_2cb6c0c3ea.jpgphoto by karinajean, on Flickr

eeeee!

Tonight was also tae kwon do, and then I got this janky box of vegetables from my wholeshare group (it's like a co-op where you OSTENSIBLY get wholesale prices, and I mostly order a bunch of veg and fruit) and we still hadn't eaten all the mixed greens from last week so I pulled a bunch of weird things out of the cabinet and my husband threw them all together in to an amazing ramen with mushrooms and greens and miso paste and hot chili paste. SO GOOD.

13883686547_36b36e31c7.jpgphoto by karinajean, on Flickr

we still have some kale left over from last week and I think I'll make kale chips. YOU KNOW IN MY SPARE TIME. maybe I'll make it one of my morning chores tomorrow before work.

* I have totally slacked on the handstand practice this week. 

* also I ate a lot of nacho cheese sauce at work bowling party last night, but I *did* only have one beer and then switched to seltzer. 

* tomorrow is the DENTIST. wish me luck.

• Like 1

A slightly belated welcome to NF! (and a slightly belated happy birthday as well!)

It looks like you're doing incredible. Great work on the running speed. I've been working on building to a 5K distance, so I'm really impressed at people who can keep a solid pace for longer runs.

Dude! That's an impressive wall of text you put! I'm glad to see that your chart (and everything else, of course :P) is working out great for you!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

A slightly belated welcome to NF! (and a slightly belated happy birthday as well!)

It looks like you're doing incredible. Great work on the running speed. I've been working on building to a 5K distance, so I'm really impressed at people who can keep a solid pace for longer runs.

thanks! this running thing - you can totally do it. I was surprised to learn that I could, when I first started, and there you go.

Under 10 minutes a mile?!?!?!

I want to carry you through the city like the Prince Ali scene from Aladdin! That's stinking remarkable. Great job!

I am SO EXCITED about this sub 10 min thing that *I* want to carry *YOU* through the air! it's really really really exciting. this has been a long term sorta-kinda-not-working-hard-towards it goal, and now that it's happening, I am TOTALLY BESIDE MYSELF.

Hey! Just popping in to say hi, and oh my God, is kicking arse just a hobby, or do you do that full time?!?! Lol!

Love the graphs btw, very cool! B)

hey hey! ha, yeah, it is TOTALLY a hobby. full time I'm a mild-mannered engineer. I even have a pair of thick black-rimmed glasses. and I bring my knitting to staff meetings. 

Dude! That's an impressive wall of text you put! I'm glad to see that your chart (and everything else, of course :tongue:) is working out great for you!

.... I can't even tell you how long it took to figure out that darn nf gallery....

Loving the graph! Plus it is totally skewed by birthday week - so by the time you've had another more normal week it'll be utterly in your favour. I'ld be tempted to discard a couple of birthday weigh ins as outliers......

Yay for all of the progress while trying to do all of the things!

I agree, there are some CLEAR outliers. :)

I am a little nervous that doing all the things is going to wear me out, I need to do a better job of ratcheting down in other areas and to get more rest so I can just do MOST of the things.

after my awesome run of consecutive exercise days my body said to me this morning:

"no, not today. nope, go ahead, put your exercise clothes on, that's not going to change things. That's right, get your sneakers on. What you need to do now is lie on the floor. go ahead. Lay down and feel horrible. Yep. you'll feel better later. Just don't exercise this morning."

who am I to argue?

I mean, hazard didn't argue when his body said pretty much the same thing.

and he's super pro at this stuff.

my shoulder is all crunked up (must have slept on it wrong)

I'm super tired

my nose is runny

it's raining like 40 days and 40 nights style

I was pretty crampy first thing this morning

I'm so so so so so so so so so tired.

SO tired.

SO SO SO tired.

so today I'll just eat a lot of fruit and veg and try to be nice to myself.

I might have more tea than normal.

MAYBE I will take a page from guzzi's book and have a hot chocolate this evening.

tomorrow we'll do the bw workout, and maybe I can fit in a run then too. and maybe friday I'll do the 3rd bw workout this week.

sat. is my black belt class, then regular tkd class. then sunday I'm running my long run.

maybe it will stop raining sometime soon. that would be nice.

(there's a hole in the sole of my shoe, I have to find some tape to fix it so I stop getting wet socks today. sigh.)

• Like 1

ps I totally made kale chips and they were delicious. one bunch of kale, quickly demolished. nom.

Oooh...! Hope you feel better soon. Sounds like you need a day off, sometimes you just gotta listen to your body.

I'm away to google "kale chips" now. Never heard of these....

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Oooh...! Hope you feel better soon. Sounds like you need a day off, sometimes you just gotta listen to your body.

I'm away to google "kale chips" now. Never heard of these....

ooh! these are the two recipes I looked at before I got up and did my own thing. I have a sprayer with olive oil in it, and I put some oil on the bottom of the pan, then the kale, then the oil sprayed on top of the kale. On top I sprinkled garlic powder and some nutritional yeast.

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/2648091289/baked-kale-chips

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2010/03/baked-kale-chips/

• Like 1

Didn't get up this morning to exercise either - when I fell hard asleep on the alarm clock snooze I knew I was too tired.

I did eat a good breakfast and a whole container of arugula at work to balance the pizza that they brought in for us. AND I only had 2 slices and no third, because I knew I'd have to fess up to you all.

Then Tkd with my younger step dude who got totally bashed in the head by another kids head and is fine, but that kind of wrecked the end of class.

When I got home my husband had made pantry dinner - what we call it when we eat all the weird stuff out of the pantry. Tonight was artichoke hearts, pinto beans, arugula, tomato, water chestnut and canned mussels. It was delicious! And healthy!

ve7y6evu.jpg

Tomorrow I'm working at home so I'll totally be able to exercise. Maybe 2x even. And I can sleep in a little. And I'm off to bed shortly.

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

• Like 3

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines