karinajean fights to be fit: unlocking strength, endurance, and skill

Sometimes you need to listen to your body when it says "nope" It's a natural process of levelling up.

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Yup on Wednesday a friend was in town so I missed my run, got a walk in but missed my run.  I had planned to do it on Thursday morning but I was sooooooo tired on Wednesday night that I opted for bed early and an extra hour of sleep in time on Thursday morning.  It was definitely worth the extra rest.  :)

Keep it up woman, your doing amazing!!!

. I am Elder . Woosah . Sunshine . Plants . Fur babies . New book smell . Cinnamon . Pepperoni Pizza .

Looks like you're doing a great job with this challenge - sleep is good.  Kale chips are great.  Stop back soon and give us an update!!

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Catch-up!

Friday I did work from home, and we DID do the bodyweight workout.

I talked to my husband about next week - we are doing the women's academy bodyweight brigade workout level 2, and we're currently finishing week 4. I asked if he was ready to level up (he's healing from a strained toe or something annoyingly silly yet painful) and he would like to do week 4 again. So I was thinking about how I can make this a level up even if we're not moving to the next set of exercises -

* real pushups instead of knee pushups

* always do the finisher

* use the more difficult assistance band on pull-ups

* make sure legs are fully extended on my inverted rows and no cheating.

Sat. we had a big chili party! and before I ate all the chili and all the beers (ok, I really didn't overdo it THAT much, but I did have maybe 1x more beers than I should have) I had black belt class. During this class we practiced some double kicks, then some boxing moves, and then some goju ryu stances/basics, and then some collegiate wrestling throws. it was a good workout. After that class (1 1/2 hours long, and they're going to make it a full 2 hours) we had regular tkd class where we practiced the advanced basics (keechos) and I feel much better about keechos 1-8. I recited them to myself all day long and they're fairly well embedded at this point.

Sunday I didn't sleep well (BEER!) and woke up feeling pretty sour stomached (BEER!) and kind of sluggish. We cleaned up the house and had breakfast and I sat around and waited for the wind to die down and then I made myself go out for my long run. and you know? it was a GREAT run. seriously. I went 4 miles and came in with average pace 9:45 mi. it WAS windy, and it WAS annoying, and my stomach DID feel unsettled, but I still managed to pull it in.

that night we went into NYC for a show and didn't get home until LATE. so this morning I didn't get up to exercise. (sloth.)

• Like 3

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

WEEK 3

* Endurance - Hal Higdon training program - I'm super happy with my running progress. I'm averaging in at under 10 min. miles consistently. I missed 1 of the 3 runs this week, though. Week 4 is a level up - increase the first run of the week from 2.5 miles to 3 miles -

* Strength - bodyweight workouts 3x a week and daily handstand practice - WELL I didn't do handstand practice for most of the week (just sunday) and I also didn't manage to do all the bodyweight workouts - we did 2x. I totally bonked mid-week and had to sleep for 2 days instead of get up early to work.

* Skill - tkd all the time. I attended 3 of 3 possible tkd classes.  haven't practiced forms at home but I feel MUCH better about advanced basics. I can recall keechos 1-8 fairly well, though I need to drill on that so if someone yells out "keecho 4!" I know that I need to do a jumping back kick without counting up through numbers 1-3. black belt class was AWESOME but now I am just 5 weeks away from my test on June 7 so the time to get serious about this is NOW.

Key Mission tools:

* Drink more water - This I was disasterpants at.

* Sleep at 9:30 - this was also disasterpants. also I drank beers and went out late on a sunday night.

* More vegetables and clean protein - I did a good job of eating veg every day and also fruit. We plowed through more arugula this week.

Notes:

last week I said I was at a tipping point and I totally was. my weight dropped and according to the hacker diet algorithms (which I haven't unpacked yet and am relying on the trendweight.com website) I'm losing 0.8 lbs a week, which is more than I had hoped for! I'm really just aiming for 0.5 lb/week.

trendweight050514

Note that Sunday and Monday's weight - while still under my trendline - are still pretty high because BEER. You know what? I'm getting more and more tired of that sluggish "must expell poisons" feeling on monday mornings after a fun weekend. it's REMARKABLE how a day or so of indulgence can really build up. I will remember this feeling the next time I want to have FOUR BEERS.

I'm going to take some photos now that I'm mid-challenge. OF COURSE because I didn't take any pre-challenge I'll just have to compare to my October pics. I'm so bad at this. but I WILL do measurements tomorrow morning.

Challenges for this week:

I thought that maybe I should consider this early in the week, so I'm prepared for these bosses before they grow up and become horribly derailing.

right now my challenges are:

* starting the week with a sleep deficit. I was out late last night and tonight I have a meeting in NYC that guarantees me a late trip home.

--> sub challenge - fitting in workouts. we missed this morning, because tired. tomorrow I am not sure what will happen, because tired. Of course, there's nothing wrong with taking a couple of days off every week - I just have to adjust my schedule to make it work out. maybe bw workouts t/th/sat? running w/f/sunday? that would be totally doable.

* my shoulder! my back is extra crunchy today and when I went to the chiropractor on Friday she told me that three of my ribs were out of alignment near my janky right shoulder. Um. To beat this boss I have got scheduled chiro on wednesday and ALSO a massage, which I'm super looking forward to.

* my poor knee. I slipped getting into the bathtub yesterday for my shower and knocked my knee hard against the hard edge. it's swollen and bruised and hurts to the touch. it still works just fine, but it is pitiful feeling, and I have to remember not to feel sorry for my knee and let it off easy.

* water! why is this such a hard habit? I really need to do better at this one.

* beer. We have so many beers in the house left over from the party. I'm pretty sure I will avoid drinking them all. but I'm going to write it down as a challenge to overcome this week.

week 1 | week 2

• Like 4

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Ack so I'm pretty freaked out. In taekwondo tonight I really wrenched my knee in a way that felt like my tendons were pulling all around and shifting and it hurts like whoa and I can walk on it but I'm sitting at home w an ice pack trying not to imagine the worst. I had an ACL injury about 10 years ago that was repaired and is great, but I really really don't want to do that again.

It was a botched shoulder throw (being done to me), for the record. I think I hyperextended my knee.

I guess it's urgent care for me in the morning for a precautionary MRI.

I'm just so discouraged. I was doing so many things, and doing them all pretty well!

Fingers crossed it's nothing... And if course it wouldn't be the end if the world if it WAS. It's just... Aw, bummer.

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

Ack so I'm pretty freaked out. In taekwondo tonight I really wrenched my knee in a way that felt like my tendons were pulling all around and shifting and it hurts like whoa and I can walk on it but I'm sitting at home w an ice pack trying not to imagine the worst. I had an ACL injury about 10 years ago that was repaired and is great, but I really really don't want to do that again. It was a botched shoulder throw (being done to me), for the record. I think I hyperextended my knee. I guess it's urgent care for me in the morning for a precautionary MRI. I'm just so discouraged. I was doing so many things, and doing them all pretty well! Fingers crossed it's nothing... And if course it wouldn't be the end if the world if it WAS. It's just... Aw, bummer. Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

Bummer indeed... but hopefully it will turn out as nothing, and even if it doesn't, you're taking care of it. Good luck!

Wow, you've had an eventful absence! I'm glad to see that, despite repeating Week 4 exercises, you've still managed to find a way to make the best of it, by perfecting the forms that are required in each exercise! These are the signs of a person dedicated to her leveling up!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Eeeeeeek! :o

I sincerely hope it's nothing, that would just be awful!  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

thank you! one of the reasons I'm really nervous is because we're due to go on our annual spring motorcycle trip - we're scheduled to go up to Bethel Maine and then ride in circles for a week and I badly want to make sure I can do this!

maybe it's nothing I should stop borrowing trouble.

Wow, you've had an eventful absence! I'm glad to see that, despite repeating Week 4 exercises, you've still managed to find a way to make the best of it, by perfecting the forms that are required in each exercise! These are the signs of a person dedicated to her leveling up!

thanks! I am totally dedicated, so much so that right now I'm trying to figure out how I can modify a workout so I'm not using my weird sore leg at all. like... one-legged pushups? that's a thing, right?

Bummer indeed... but hopefully it will turn out as nothing, and even if it doesn't, you're taking care of it. Good luck!

Thank you! I am hoping hoping hoping. I am feeling both better AND worse today - my whole leg hurts, so maybe it's just a big sprain or twist? but aaah, my leg feels SO unstable, so maybe it's something horrible. I have a drs appt at 12:45 today and I'll request an MRI. I mean, on the hopeful side my ACL replacement was on my LEFT leg, and this is the RIGHT leg, so at least I know it's not something to do with that, so that's good, ...... right?

Whelp doctor said maybe it's just a sprain, but she's sending me for an MRI (not until next TUESDAY).

She was very nice, but as a doctor was kind of not awesome, and didn't really pay very much attention to the lifestyle that is important to me. At one point she started to ask if tae kwon do was something I do for money and I wasn't sure if she was getting at a workers compensation claim or trying to figure out if I was worth fixing, but I had to say to her: this is something I do that is very important to me, and that I want to continue doing.

(it is IMPOSSIBLE around here to find doctors that understand that some of us are kind of active. honestly, I don't get it. they complain about obesity in the community and then they make it nearly impossible to actually have a discussion about sports injuries without saying "maybe you should just cool it.")

but anyway, I'm going for an MRI.

I also went to my AMAZING chiropractor, who gave me a freakin brilliant orthopedics consult and told me what to expect for the next couple of days and how to care for my knee and agreed that this might be an ACL injury and wants to see the MRI as well.

I feel a little less stressed because I realized that my leg muscles are super strong, and if this is an ACL injury I can go on the motorcycle trip no problem, because my muscles will compensate for the lost ligament and as long as I'm not twisting my leg, I won't fall down.

I'm totally bummed about potentially missing  the black belt test because as much as I felt like I had a lot to learn, prepping for it on a deadline was a challenge that I was up for and engaged in. but I'm still going to go over to classes and help out, if I can, and I'll get my MRI results back by next friday (BALLS that is so far away) so I'll know better then if this is going to be a long-term issue to treat.

All that said, this no exercising thing means I have to really focus on the eating part of my challenge. yesterday was a hot mess! I ate cheese puffs and sugar bombs (graham crackers with left over frosting inside of them, kept in the freezer), and a couple of beers, and taco dip for dinner. Today I'm working from home again and will focus on eating all the fruit and spinach in the house.

once this soreness and slight swelling and general instability stops, I'll work in some other stuff - like pull-up practice, and handstand practice, and dips, and inverted rows, and maybe one legged planks and pushups, and crunches. any other suggestions?

working from home is both marvelous and terrible on the food front.

marvelous!

13951848789_5294522590.jpgphoto by karinajean, on Flickr

I can make sauteed mushrooms and spinach with crumbled goat cheese over the top. SO DELICIOUS. this will absolutely hold me until dinner time. (possibly bc of all the butter I used, but this meal dials in at 575 calories).

Terrible! because there's a giant freakin' container of cheesy poofs in the other room but I am NOT going to eat them. I'm not even going to take a picture of them. BUT if I feel the need for some kind of spherical orange food we have plenty of oranges, and I will eat THEM for snacks today.

marvelous! because my sweetiecat helps me work during the day.

14138569845_274466e37a.jpgphoto by karinajean, on Flickr

Terrible because she is also pretty fighty, and for no good reason.This is why we named her (in part) Torturekitty Murderclaws. She spent my entire lunch cooking period meowing pathetically and biting my ankles. She is SO EMO.

13951920860_43f3a56606.jpgphoto by karinajean, on Flickr

• Like 1

Hahaha! I have food envy! Your lunch looks so much better than mine, damn this low calorie nonsense! (calm down leanne, only 2 weeks to go..)

I hope the MRI turns out ok, an acl injury would just be awful, but you've been there before, you can come back from it again. (It still sucks tho)

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Hahaha! I have food envy! Your lunch looks so much better than mine, damn this low calorie nonsense! (calm down leanne, only 2 weeks to go..)

I hope the MRI turns out ok, an acl injury would just be awful, but you've been there before, you can come back from it again. (It still sucks tho)

Thanks Guzzi! I did just confirm that my surgeon from the last ACL injury (the other knee, what are the odds?) is in my current insurance plan, and he is, so that backup plan is a-ok.

AND I was able to get the MRI rescheduled for tomorrow night, YAY, so I will have some answers by Wednesday of next week, at least!

I BET that if you made the same thing that I did and didn't put 4 tablespoons of butter in it like I did you could still keep to the low-cal. I only used so much butter because I ALSO put in garlic and it was starting to burn because my pans are always too hot and I freaked out and chucked in another 2 TB. But just mushrooms and spinach and a touch of goat cheese and maybe 1 TB butter is probably only about 300 cal.

Tonight I'm having ramen with mushrooms and greens in it. the soup part is nice and filling.

I think you've just given me tomorrow's lunch! I'm at work tomorrow so I only have access to a microwave, a kettle, and a toaster, but I'm nothing if not inventive! :D

I have some ready cooked mushrooms that I can reheat by throwing the pouch in the kettle, and I can stick the spinach in the micro to wilt, easy peasy. My biggest problem will be not eating the rest of the goats cheese for pudding, lol!

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Great news about getting the MRI re-scheduled for earlier!  Better to know, than self-diagnose your problems...(Given time, your mind can always turn a splinter into a stab-wound).  Wishing you the best of luck!

• Like 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personal Stats: (
About Me)
Start Weight: 279.6    Current Weight: 270.1    Goal Weight: 220.0

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Challenge History: Lvl 1 Rebel, PvP, Lvl 2 Warrior, Lvl 3 Warrior

Great news about getting the MRI re-scheduled for earlier!  Better to know, than self-diagnose your problems...(Given time, your mind can always turn a splinter into a stab-wound).  Wishing you the best of luck!

Thanks! YES on the splinter to stab wound. though this isn't TOO bad, it's fixable if it is the ACL. just gives me a chance to figure out my back-up plans!

This morning I woke up feeling like: AAAAH I can't let this crummy knee thing keep me from completing my challenge!

Plus after 2 days on my butt on the couch with my leg up, I'm feeling so rickety. It's AMAZING how going from 6-7 days of activity a week to essentially NONE makes you feel like the creakiest most out of shape elderly person ever. So I did some hunting and planning, and I'm going to do all these things for the next 3-4 days (daily):

* pull-up practice - with the mid-resistance band, not the easiest and most helpful band like I've been using.

* inverted rows

* chair dips (we don't have dip bars at home, so I put two barstools together and do dips off of them.

* the bruce lee abs workout, with a nod towards tae kwon do

* week 1 (passive flexibility) of the assassins bridge challenge, and ZOMG guys this is such an amazing resource. I am fairly certain that I can do MOST of the level 1 exercises without straining my knee, but I'll take it slow. level 2 is too advanced, for sure. too many leg bendy things.

* I'm going to TRY handstand practice, but I'm worried about coming down too hard on my leg.

* and LEG LIFTS. you can never do too many leg lifts, and it will help support my sad knee. (edited to add this! can't believe I almost forgot.)

THAT SAID, FOOD WISE:

yesterday I did really good with the food. I ate almost exactly at my calorie goal and had a boatload of spinach, a banana, and an orange. GO FIBER. GO VEGGIES. I didn't have a whole lot of protein though - that's something I'd like to fix this weekend. I did NOT eat any cheesy poofs.

Today also am on good track with the food. I ate a giant container of baby lettuce (poor babies) with my lunch, and I've got a boatload of oranges for work snacks. I'm going straight over to the imaging center after work for my MRI and won't get home until nearly 8, so those snacks are going to be important in avoiding the hangry food binge when I get home. We have more lettuce and spinach at home, and we also have a million containers of leftover chili, so we will probably have chili on top of lettuce for dinner.

• Like 2

ERMAGAH guys, but that ab workout was killer. This morning I got up, made a delicious omelette w goat cheese and baby kale inside, and then settled in to some exercises. The stretching / flexibility practice? My back is SO INFLEXIBLE. I mean, I knew that. But WHOA.

I was able to do cobra, seal, and cat against floor, and I did the shoulder dislocates to kind of warm up my janky shoulder. I really spent some time with camel, because I don't have a hinge in my body at ALL. For camel I held the pose for 5-10 sec, released, then tried again for about 5 goes.

Posted Image

For reals I am not very backwards bendy.

Then we did the abs, which took about 20 min.

I'm pleased! But I am going to save the pull ups and rows and dips for tomorrow. It occurs to me I maybe shouldn't try that beastly ab workout 2 days in a row right at the outset.

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

• Like 2

I'm always impressed, and jealous, when I see people who are really flexible. It's great that you're working on improving that. Just keep doing a little each day, you'll soon get there.

• Like 1

Woah I hope your knee is okay. Best of luck with the MRI and results. I feel your annoyance with doctors who don't get that you're actually active and exercise. My doc's the same way. Glad you have an awesome chiropractor to get a second opinion.

Great job figuring out ways to keep on track despite the prescribed knee rest. And that food sounds delicious. Usually when I go into "eat all the veggies" mode it's because something will go bad soon. Or that I haven't gone to the shops in a while.

• Like 1

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

”Persistence without insight will lead to the same outcome.” [spoilers], The Book of Boba Fett

Good luck with your knee!  Grrrrrrr re the bad throw - but i'm totally impressed with how you've adjusted and worked out what you can do  - best wishes for a speedy recovery - and hopefully it is a less drastic injury that your other knee......

apologies for being mia when rubbish was happening.  But wow - your mushroom lunch looks amazing.

again good luck with keeping on working around your injury - yay for the chiropractor.  Also yay for being able to sometimes work from home - getting proper rest for your knee should surely surely help it calm down. 

• Like 1

NF challenges: March 2018 , 12 , 11 , 10, 9876, 54321

Good luck with your knee!  Grrrrrrr re the bad throw - but i'm totally impressed with how you've adjusted and worked out what you can do  - best wishes for a speedy recovery - and hopefully it is a less drastic injury that your other knee......

apologies for being mia when rubbish was happening.  But wow - your mushroom lunch looks amazing.

again good luck with keeping on working around your injury - yay for the chiropractor.  Also yay for being able to sometimes work from home - getting proper rest for your knee should surely surely help it calm down. 

lou! yay, lou. so glad you're back on. I missed you. <3

OH the knee is such a huge drag. I'm staying cautiously optimistic with a heavy side of pragmatism as towards my diagnosis. tomorrow I'm going to call and push for the dr to read my MRI results, and then I'll have a better idea if it's a surgery situation or a rest situation. I'm also going to go to the acupuncturist, I've always had tremendous luck with that for joint injuries.

Woah I hope your knee is okay. Best of luck with the MRI and results. I feel your annoyance with doctors who don't get that you're actually active and exercise. My doc's the same way. Glad you have an awesome chiropractor to get a second opinion.

Great job figuring out ways to keep on track despite the prescribed knee rest. And that food sounds delicious. Usually when I go into "eat all the veggies" mode it's because something will go bad soon. Or that I haven't gone to the shops in a while.

my chiropractor told me that she hates doctors and that's the reason she became one! I did get a recommendation from a coworker for a doc who is also a runner - I have hopes for him as my primary care, my husband is going to give him a shot asap as well. 

AND truthfully, yes. I overpurchased all those greens, and that's why I'm shoving them all into my face right now. THAT SAID, I kind of keep overpurchasing on purpose, so I HAVE to eat them all.

Oh yea ... take a day between hard work outs!!!

oof, I didn't have a choice today. my abs were KILLING me. it was tough to keep good posture and just stay up-right! that said, I'm doing it again tomorrow. 

I'm always impressed, and jealous, when I see people who are really flexible. It's great that you're working on improving that. Just keep doing a little each day, you'll soon get there.

I am always jealous too! and I'm ridiculous, I don't think it was until just recently when I realized that flexibility is, to some extent, a skill that can be learned.  

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines