karinajean fights to be fit: unlocking strength, endurance, and skill

This weekend came out pretty a-ok. 

saturday after my abs/stretching I went to the dojo and helped out with the regular class. It was a small class - it usually is on the weekends during the summer when the weather is nice - but it felt good to be there and participating, even if I couldn't practice. I did go into some poses and felt my knee twinge underneath me, which was super annoying, but also a good reminder to NOT DO THINGS.

then we drove 3 hours with my in-laws to meet my brother-in-law and his partner halfway so we could celebrate my in-laws 50th anniversary. WOW. And! I ate pretty nicely all day, which was a bonus.

sunday - today! we slept in (that 6 hours round trip was exhausting, and I wasn't even the driver) and then got up and did a modified beginner bodyweight workout from the academy. it was GOOD.

pull-ups (assisted - I leveled up to the mid-weight band and am doing jump-ups / lower downs) 10x

pushups (mine were totally janky because I was worried about weight on my knee, so I did real pushups, not knee pushups, but I really didn't go down all the way, and I kind of rested on one foot and balanced with my other foot) 10x

high knees - 100x - SO LONG

inverted rows - 10x

dips (between two chairs) 10x

REST

3 sets total.

and then I practiced colbra, camel, and downward dogs for another 5 minutes after that.

after that I totally smashed my iphone screen - it was a little smashed, and then it slid off of a chair and was absolutely not functional - but I had a backup screen lying around so after I found it (UGH SO HARD TO FIND) I installed the new screen. iPhone screens are fairly easy to replace but there's always one thing that's tricky and I dropped a screw and had to find it on the floor and it was just a huge pain.

and then we met my mom for mother's day dinner (2 hours away) and ice cream.

super nice weekend. I find out tomorrow about the MRI (at least I think I do). I'll feel MUCH better after that, because I'll know what I"m in for.

tomorrow morning is killer abs!

• Like 3

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

I'm anxiously awaiting your MRI results, and I echo on what your doctor's "priorities" are. Some are in it, simply for the money. It's a sad fact.

• Like 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Yay for a great weekend.

Loving your cunning plan of accidentally overpurchasing veges - brilliant!

Fingers crossed re MRI.

Brilliant re workouts - am going to have to checkout your killer ab workout.... and yay re full pushups.  Might be worth playing with your hand position and arm angle - full military pushups (like stacey does in the video, with hands under shoulders and elbows tucked in) are brutal - wider hands and elbows out (don't shoot me!), much easier, which in turn would be easier for your knee.  Then you get the feel of the full pushup, and can mix up easier and harder full pushups.

And flexibility - totally a habit and improves with time and practise - within reason - and anatomical contstraints.....  i'm blaming the last one for my utter inability to fold my legs into a lotus.....

• Like 1

NF challenges: March 2018 , 12 , 11 , 10, 9876, 54321

WEEK 4

WEEK 4 SUCKED.

WELL. more accurately:

DURING WEEK FOUR DISASTER STRUCK OUR FAIR HERO, LEVELING HER LIKE A TALL TREE IN THE FOREST STRUCK DOWN BY A LIGHTNING-BOLT OF 15-YEAR-OLD OVER-ZEALOUSNESS DURING TAE KWON DO PRACTICE.

and just so this is entirely clear:

After all the horrible, if I wasn't participating in this challenge and talking to all of you regularly, I am certain I would have collapsed in a demoralized heap of feels.

I certainly wouldn't have restructured my challenge, I bet I would have had more beers in the evening, and I really am sure I wouldn't still be so focused on trying to eat well.

which is to say:  thank you so very very much.

So I had to totally revise my strategy. My MRI was on Friday, and I haven't gotten the results yet. SO until I find out otherwise, I'm resting my knee and not doing any torsional movements. no twisting. no balancing with the other leg extended. No tae kwon do and no running.

* Endurance - Hal Higdon training program - I can't run until I know what's going on with my knee, so I didn't do this at all during week 4. the only way I can compensate for this is to do my strength workouts as hard and as fast as I can, so I have a solid 30 min. of work in. I have to get really sweaty when I do strength workouts. I mean, I'm a good sweater, but I am trying very much to put the extra effort in.

* Strength - bodyweight workouts 3x a week and daily handstand practice - sorta crossed out. I can't do any of the leg exercises, and I was resting my knee on wednesday and thursday. But I did do a good ab and stretching work-out on Sat., and a good arms/back workout on Sunday.

REVISED GOALS - until I hear otherwise on the knee - do handstand practice every day. Alternate horrible most brutal Bruce Lee Abs workout with the pull-up/push-up/inverted row/dip/high knee workout. Do lower back stretching poses (colbra/camel/cat on floor/cow-cat/downward dog) every day.

* Skill - tkd all the time. OH THIS IS THE MOST HORRIBLE. I am still going to tae kwon do classes. Tuesday is where I bit it, and thursday I didn't go, but I did go on Sat. and was an active participant even though I couldn't practice. I think I was a good contributor and I enjoyed being there with my friends.

Key Mission tools:

* Drink more water - I did better at this than the week before.

* Sleep at 9:30 - I did MUCH better at this than the week before.

* More vegetables and clean protein - I continued to eat piles of spinach and arugula and fruit. Lots of eggs. I am still struggling to figure out what my other protein sources will be, but for now I'm doing ok.

Notes:

* DATA DATA DATA

trendweight051214

I managed to still maintain a downward trend, which is HUGE because I really try to run to make up for diet slips. I had desserts a few times and certainly ate cheesy poofs more than recommended, but all in all I'm happy with this.

* ZOMG guys also I took pics and compared them to my start of the academy in October and they are AMAZING. I'm still not sure about posting them (EEP bra shots on the INTERNET) but I have lost and toned a LOT. only 10 lbs in 7 months but I look SO much different.

* I still need to have my husband measure me.

Challenges for this week:

* continue to eat cleanly and with a focus on fruits and veg to compensate for the fact that I can't go out and run every other day.

* beer. we still have a lot of beer in the fridge. don't drink it all.

* feeling sorry for myself. I don't know what my MRI is going to tell me but I am trying to prepare for the worst (which would be: needing a surgery/no tkd or running for several months). In the grand scheme of things a few months is a blip on the cosmos, and I need to keep perspective if that's what it comes down to. I'm disappointed about the possibility of not testing for my 3rd degree but I'll deal with that with certitude when it comes. I'm most worried, to be honest, about my teachers at the dojo. They're pretty bummed out about my knee too, and I hate when other people feel bad on my behalf.

Anyway. it bears repeating - THANK YOU. seriously. when I was doing pull-ups (assisted) on sunday I thought to myself "I am SO finishing this challenge, no matter WHAT is wrong with my knee."

week 1 | week 2 | week 3

• Like 4

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Yay for a great weekend.

Loving your cunning plan of accidentally overpurchasing veges - brilliant!

Fingers crossed re MRI.

Brilliant re workouts - am going to have to checkout your killer ab workout.... and yay re full pushups.  Might be worth playing with your hand position and arm angle - full military pushups (like stacey does in the video, with hands under shoulders and elbows tucked in) are brutal - wider hands and elbows out (don't shoot me!), much easier, which in turn would be easier for your knee.  Then you get the feel of the full pushup, and can mix up easier and harder full pushups.

And flexibility - totally a habit and improves with time and practise - within reason - and anatomical contstraints.....  i'm blaming the last one for my utter inability to fold my legs into a lotus.....

I need to do a little more push-up research - I absolutely can't even get down to the floor with best knee pushups, so I think what I should do is transition to doing incline pushups with my hands at chair-seat-height so I can work on that strength a little more. I think it will be easier on my sore knee, too, and less stressful.

re: flexibility - I know! my legs and (heh) groin are SUPER flexible - full lotus and full butterfly with head on the ground are no problems for me. But I think because my legs are so flexible I've managed to develop a really stiff back, and I want to correct that.

• Like 2

I need to do a little more push-up research - I absolutely can't even get down to the floor with best knee pushups, so I think what I should do is transition to doing incline pushups with my hands at chair-seat-height so I can work on that strength a little more. I think it will be easier on my sore knee, too, and less stressful.

Very good decision.  Incline in proper pushup position will build the muscles you need to do pushups on the ground in a way that knee pushups just don't do.  I think you're going to like the results of this.

• Like 2

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

I think this is a SOLID revision of your goals until you can figure out your knee!  Like most of us on here, I am awaiting your MRI results!  Good Luck!

• Like 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personal Stats: (
About Me)
Start Weight: 279.6    Current Weight: 270.1    Goal Weight: 220.0

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Challenge History: Lvl 1 Rebel, PvP, Lvl 2 Warrior, Lvl 3 Warrior

whelp, I was right. my ACL is torn. there was a lot of other stuff that I didn't catch all the way on the phone with the doctor and I'm going to try and pick up a copy of my MRI tomorrow and get an appt with the orthopedic who helped me with my first ACL later this week.

you know, I'd be more upset except I kind of knew the answer already. 

And also I keep thinking to myself:

What are the odds - you bust your left ACL playing ultimate frisbee, and then 10 years later you bust the other one practicing tae kwon do. WHO AM I, ANYWAY?!

that said, just to mix it up, I just got back from a soldering class (I made an electronic dice!) and I have knitting club on friday. I am ALL THE PEOPLE doing ALL THE THINGS.

(except for the running and jumping and turning things. all the other things.)

13987293090_a11259740b.jpgphoto by karinajean, on Flickr

Yikes..  So what is this going to mean for you?

I'm pretty sure it'll mean a surgery - though I'm not certain how urgent the surgery is.

Last time this happened (oh that's ridiculous) I didn't do anything and the ACL ... vanished. Which is what happens after the blood flow is interrupted to the ligament, usually by a tear. I walked around without an ACL in my left leg for over a year while I was at graduate school and when I was working again I had the surgery to replace it.

Right now I'm walking around just fine. my knee gets sore and I am wearing an elastic brace just to remind me not to do anything foolish.

If I let myself borrow trouble for a moment - I'm secretly a tiny bit worried about our motorcycle vacation, which is due to start next Friday. I am super hoping that the orthopedic doesn't say I can't go. the funny thing about this ACL bit is that it keeps your knees from twisting out of control - so as long as i keep going straight and don't put any weight on my right leg while twisting, I should be ok.  If this is JUST the ACL then the trip should be OK and I can have surgery when I get back. If there's other stuff going on, well. I don't know what that means. I'm happy to wear a complicated knee brace though! I am prepared to bargain and also to do risk evaluations when I see this guy.

If I recall correctly, my left leg surgery was outpatient (allograft ligament replacement) and I had about a week of full immobilization - I'd have to work from home or take time off. then I started physical therapy and I think I had 4-6 weeks of physical therapy. I wasn't as athletic back then as I am now - though I did ride my bicycle everywhere - but at the same time, as my stepmom reminded me tonight. I'M TEN YEARS OLDER and apparently that impacts my ability to bounce back from this kind of thing. I guess this is a great chance for me to find out!

Ah shit! I'm sorry to hear it's definitely torn. I was really hoping that you were going to be ok with just some rest and some physiotherapy. :(

I'll keep my fingers crossed that they still let you go on the trip, that would be a disaster if they said you weren't allowed!

Posted Image

^^^it made me giggle ;)

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

So your options are: to repeat your previous plan for the torn ACL, or to have surgery? and all these are "MAYBE"? Wow, that's a tough call. But I'm curious, with TKD, wouldn't you need your ability to twist your leg and put pressure on it? 

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

So your options are: to repeat your previous plan for the torn ACL, or to have surgery? and all these are "MAYBE"? Wow, that's a tough call. But I'm curious, with TKD, wouldn't you need your ability to twist your leg and put pressure on it?

I'm pretty sure my only option is to have surgery for the ACL, and I'm not sure if there's other stuff in there that needs work too. I did have surgery for the other legs' ACL.

And yeah - totally I need to be able to stand on one leg and twist around for Tkd. But you know - you'd be surprised how much you do that in general activities, too. Like switching direction when you're walking, even.

Oh joints! You are so important and we only truly value you when you're not working right!

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

• Like 1

Ah shit! I'm sorry to hear it's definitely torn. I was really hoping that you were going to be ok with just some rest and some physiotherapy. :(

I'll keep my fingers crossed that they still let you go on the trip, that would be a disaster if they said you weren't allowed!

Posted Image

^^^it made me giggle ;)

AAAAH YOUR POSITIVE THOUGHTS STARTLED ME!

Ha!

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

That sucks! Hopefully you will get to bide a little time and still take (AND ENJOY!) the motorcycle trip you want.  Just remember, We are here for you, and you can always make your Physical Therapy part of your challenge!  PT is definitely a work-out and I am sure that there will be many a Nerd who wants to follow your progression through!

• Like 1

Personal Stats: (
About Me)
Start Weight: 279.6    Current Weight: 270.1    Goal Weight: 220.0

Challenge History: Lvl 1 Rebel, PvP, Lvl 2 Warrior, Lvl 3 Warrior

orthopedic drs visit scheduled for next monday!

I did NOT exercise today or yesterday. looking back it occurs to me that I always seem to need a rest day mid-week. MAYBE I AM PLAYING TOO HARD ON THE WEEKENDS.

I'm going to go into the work lounge in a few and practice some lower back stretches and some handstands.

I'm planning to go to tkd class tonight to help out as I can - not sure how this will work out over the next couple of months, but I want to stay an active part of that community. And maybe I can start to do more weights with the owner of the dojo. maybe. after surgery. and after I start PT.

trying to focus on eating well but last night I had a beer and some cheesy poofs. WE ARE ALMOST OUT OF CHEESY POOFS, THANK GOODNESS.

That sucks! Hopefully you will get to bide a little time and still take (AND ENJOY!) the motorcycle trip you want.  Just remember, We are here for you, and you can always make your Physical Therapy part of your challenge!  PT is definitely a work-out and I am sure that there will be many a Nerd who wants to follow your progression through!

ha, I am SO sticking with this. seriously, I just got the guts up to meet all y'all and it turns out you're so super nice and friendly? No way I'm letting a pesky little ligament injury derail me now.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about your knee. Wishing the best for you being able to take the motorcycle vacation and getting your knee all patched up in the meantime.

Great job restructuring your challenge goals in the meantime. Diet is a tough one (especially the beer) but you can do it :)

• Like 1

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

”Persistence without insight will lead to the same outcome.” [spoilers], The Book of Boba Fett

Ha ha ha, there will always be nerds to meet up with, I can guarantee you that!

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

Ah, now I've actually read through all the other comments - including your sodding torn sodding ACL...... (but man, I hate that you can lotus......, having all of the lotus envy)

Thank F*** that you have this community and your TKD community and a supportive family (ok, so less of the "but you're ten years older" talk, but for everything else) - am in awe of how you're rolling with your injury and re-evaluating and assessing, and not being derailed (except for cheesy puffs and it sounds like they're off the grocery list).

Hang in there - go punch something for a while (without any hip movement to avoid ouches).  And i like your revised goals - getting stronger = good, getting bendy flexy in your non-bendy flexy bits = awesome.  Planning negotiation with orthopedic specialist re bike trip = brilliant.

Good luck with finding out what happens with treatment from here - probably all comes down to how drastic the tear is.  And not leaving the treatment for a year this time = a good thing.  Being fitter and stronger = a good thing.  But bleugh!!!!!!  Hang on in there! 

YAY for knitting and soldering, but possibly not at the same time....... (imagine what you could come up with there - a weird hybrid chainmail wool/metal flashing object......????)

• Like 3

NF challenges: March 2018 , 12 , 11 , 10, 9876, 54321

Sorry to hear about your knee. Wishing the best for you being able to take the motorcycle vacation and getting your knee all patched up in the meantime.

Great job restructuring your challenge goals in the meantime. Diet is a tough one (especially the beer) but you can do it :)

thanks!

the beer is an unusual problem. I mean, I didn't even LIKE beer until a few years ago. but we had a party a couple of weeks back and we have a bunch of beers left over and they're living in the crisper drawer and it's just so nice to sit down after work with a beer. somehow my winter trick of hot tea isn't helping this springish. I just need to be better.

Ha ha ha, there will always be nerds to meet up with, I can guarantee you that!

yes! nerds are everpresent and charming and friendly. <3 nerds.

Ah, now I've actually read through all the other comments - including your sodding torn sodding ACL...... (but man, I hate that you can lotus......, having all of the lotus envy)

Thank F*** that you have this community and your TKD community and a supportive family (ok, so less of the "but you're ten years older" talk, but for everything else) - am in awe of how you're rolling with your injury and re-evaluating and assessing, and not being derailed (except for cheesy puffs and it sounds like they're off the grocery list).

Hang in there - go punch something for a while (without any hip movement to avoid ouches).  And i like your revised goals - getting stronger = good, getting bendy flexy in your non-bendy flexy bits = awesome.  Planning negotiation with orthopedic specialist re bike trip = brilliant.

Good luck with finding out what happens with treatment from here - probably all comes down to how drastic the tear is.  And not leaving the treatment for a year this time = a good thing.  Being fitter and stronger = a good thing.  But bleugh!!!!!!  Hang on in there! 

YAY for knitting and soldering, but possibly not at the same time....... (imagine what you could come up with there - a weird hybrid chainmail wool/metal flashing object......????)

ermagah, I would LOVE to try and knit up something -- I mean, I have conductive thread, and I've used it for some basic sewn circuts, but I think knitting doesn't meet the same linear form that a circuit requires so it would be a super inefficient thing. BUT have you seen the knitting done with wire?

also - was thinking maybe the fact that my legs are so bendy is perhaps a structural issue that contributed to the ACL damage? I mean, it's not like I'm a professional athlete here. I just feel like two ACLs are one two many (I mean, one ACL is one too many, but...)

last night I got a little emotional talking to my teacher about what a great dojo we have. I taught during class, and I think the plan is that I will continue to participate as an instructor while my leg is injured and before the surgery. I would feel like I was letting Sergio down - - he's 9 years old and a brown belt and testing for black belt - if I didn't participate right up until and during the test for him. we were testing buddies! I'm sorry that we won't advance at the same time!

my teacher was super nice, though - she told me that I am more than ready for this 3rd belt rank, and that's when I got emotional because it's just such a great collaborative instructional atmosphere that I love participating in, and I've grown so much in the year I've been attending classes here, and it's remarkable. just remarkable. STIFF UPPER LIP KARINAJEAN.

Anyway, my teacher is NOT being very clear on the test - I'm certain I can't test because, you know, my LEG, and she DOES know exactly what the ACL means but she'll say stuff like "I don't know..." and I told her last night that I don't want to phone it in or anything, and that anyway I was most upset about having accepted this challenge to prepare, and not being able to complete the challenge, not my advancement schedule. and she was like "I don't know...."

So, I'm not going to worry about things I can't control, and I'm going to show up and do my best to participate, and go to the drs on Monday and get a treatment plan, and not drink all the beers in the crisper drawer.

• Like 2

OH AND

I'm working at home today which means elaborate lunch and photos.

We had a LOT of spinach in the fridge - almost 2 lbs of baby spinach? And I accidentally bought this sprouty "health salad" that is a container jam packed with sprouts. So I consulted my evernote recipe book and came up with a Spinach and Sardine Gratin.

14186188435_c66bb2077b.jpgphoto by karinajean, on Flickr

Guys, I love sardines. It breaks my heart that my office is too anti-fish-smells-in-the-kitchen for me to eat them at work for lunches.

I ate the gratin on top of a bed of sprouts with a dab of hummus and some tomatoes. yum.

14206315513_e1798e2b4b.jpgphoto by karinajean, on Flickr

I've realized that the key for me to eat all the leafy greens is to pretend like it's my rice. yesterday I had a microwave burrito on a bed of baby lettuce. The day before I ate chili heated up and dumped onto a bed of baby kale. Sprouts today. I highly recommend this method of greens eating.

• Like 1

Grrrrrr to the ACL tear.

I'm glad that you sound like you're figuring out a way to work around it, though. All the good things to you!

• Like 1

Totally stealing that recipe! I've got one that I'm waiting to try out at the moment. It's a kale, sweet potato and sardine bake.

http://www.discoverkale.co.uk/recipes/kale-sweet-potato-sardine-bake

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines