Hermione Gainser's "Bro, do you even leviosa?" Challenge

Colour me jealous.

Nah it's some kind of crazy injury.  Perhaps a sleep injury or kitteh petting injury.  The middle knuckle was all swollen and then the whole finger was swollen.  It's still got fluid or something in there.  Grrrr.

heatherchandler.gif

tumblr_mpwiks8ziS1sqem6go1_500.gif

Not sure why, but this feels appropriate.

I've done the meditation thing for just under a week, on doctors orders. I don't do relaxation very well so am finding it tough, but the app is good and it's the best of these type of things that I've ever used

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha, yeah I relate to that.  So far, I've been not so great at getting meditation in this week. I do notice a difference when I do it regularly, though.

Hopefully you will, too!

ooooo. this challenge makes me want to have a challenge thread but with everything going on (new job) i can't commit. <3 you. IM me, so i can fill you in on details. also, it's not leviOsa it's levioSA. ;)

Yay!  I totally get the too much going on thing.  Can't wait for deets <3

36781898_dancing_gif.gif

guuuuurl.

If you like it you shoulda put a horcrux on it...

This week has been a total wash.  Lady business in full force has seriously knocked me on my butt.  Lots of fatigue and headaches.  I went to bed obscenely early yesterday but woke up at 2 am all stressed out and couldn't get back to sleep. Awesome.  So yeah, writing this week off and getting it together for next week. 

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

The Single Ladies gif will haunt my nightmares.

It makes me think of spiders for some reason. 

Battle Log

"Either you take care of business and give yourself the best chance of survival (while accepting the inherent fuckedupitude and randomness of life), or you relinquish all hope entirely." -- Krista Scott-Dixon

Your title makes me smile, but that combo picture of Stalone and Harry is creeps yo.

Ha, yeah, it takes some getting used to.  Oh internet... you so cray.

Dom knows what you mean about always doing lower body. 

pXfU8JM.gif?1

Wait. No he doesn't. 

I rewatched his How to Skip Leg Day video.  I think it will help me on the road to dat pump. 

AMAAAAAAAZING

This thread is pure 100% awesomesauce!

Thanks!!

I have been watching a LOT of Bro Science vids (instead of working) recently. Leg day and the Smith machine are two of my FAVORITES.

The Single Ladies gif will haunt my nightmares.

Hahahahaha I feel like this thread is ripe for creepy, haunting gifs/memes.  I need to go back and rewatch a bunch of them. So funny.

The Bro Science videos are amazing.

And I actually have an amazing WWSD (What Would Severus Do) t-shirt that they don't make anymore...

Everything about this comment is excellent.  Severus, man...

cfcaa506b59403d4c4cf097ed2b4ff62.jpg

bahahaha "dat posterior chain" 

Needs more gifs

emperor-s-new-groove-o.gif

YES. All the gifs!

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost

And, OMG, do I even leviosa? Seriously? 

Week 1 recap: Total crapshoot. Did nada.

Week 2 is off to a decent start, though. 

Bros, I lifted. I did upper body accessory. I meditated.  BOOYA.

Here's muh shitacular lift (I didn't say it went well)

squats:

bwx4

85x4

95x10

95x5

95x5

100x5

100x2

It's been a while since I've squatted so I knew this would be crappy going in.  I've been neglecting my mobility so I had some issues there, too.  And I don't think I warmed up enough.  The CF people are super annoying about me being over there when they're waiting for class to start.  News flash kids, the rack isn't yours.  But I digress.  I taped most of these sets for the challenge but I'm not sure if I'll post them. I know they aren't a good representation of my usual squat. 

db bench:

30x10

bench:

77.5x10

77.5x10

I was waiting for the bench to clear up.  Thought about sticking with db bench but nah.

pistol work - sitting back to a box:

box at knee crease: 5 each side

box below knee:  2x5 each side

This is the point at which I got a crazy ass head ache

push ups: 2x6 (between my last working sets of pistol work)

assisted chin ups w/blue band:

3/2/2/2 and a bunch of holds and negatives

db row:

40x8

40x8

and headache was out of control so called it quits.

So, the squats sucked, the bench was okay. Wish I hadn't felt so crappy and had done my 3 sets of my accessory work. Ah well. at least I did 'em.

Injury update:

Back is okay now! yay.

Knee didn't bother me at all (didn't even wear my brace working my second job this weekend, which is awesome)

Finger still hurts but is a lot better. Surprised by my ability to do stuff like chins and db rows without pain.  Still get pain if I bump it or something. Weird.

So glad to be back at it.  I've put on some weight from all the off time and stress and it's making me crazy.

Chin ups, bench, and rows. Good job Bro-ra :)

Thanks, bro!

Finger might be a bone bruise.  I can do anything with my thumb except poke it.  Pokes = major ouchies.

Ohh, that sounds possible.  Stupid ass, me falling off stuff.

tumblr_lav3x1lM9s1qanzoy.gif

Queens, here I come!

You guys, week 2 is going pretty well.

Meditation:  Every day this week.

Broviosa: Oh totes. So much bro in my life.

Life balance stuff: Doing okay on this.

Here's last night's workout:

4/23/14

deadlift:

140x4

155x2

165x1

175x5

175x5

175x5

Finger didn't love deadlifts so I didn't do back off sets. 175 felt really light.

ohp:

65x6

65x6

65x5

65x6

Mas reps. Felt pretty good this time around.

rdl:

90x10

90x10

90x9

Mas reps.

dips:

Mas reps

shoulder shocker:

15, 15, 20

2x8

I used 15lb dbs for the first part instead of a 25# plate. So, increase in weight, kinda.

inverted rows:

3x5

In the spirit of broviosa and trying to get a good push/pull balance. and yeah, that's all I could muster at this point.

plank:

45 seconds

45 seconds

leg lifts:

3x8

Did a whole bunch of mobility. My poor legs... so jacked up.

^^^^^ squeee

and here's another one

cute-sleepy-kitty-o.gif

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Sleep kitties are basically my kryptonite.

Shoot. Probably shouldn't have told you that.

Who am I kidding? You already knew.

Week 2 Recap:

LeviOsa:

• Squat - Worked at 115.  Didn't feel that heavy but I had trouble.  I'll eventually post video of both current squats and when I felt like I was squatting well for critique and halp.  I think my current issue is hip and back strength. I lost a lot of it not squattting and by skipping extensions (ghr is in cf area and those people are annoying).  No more! I shan't skip my extensions.
  • Bench - Unsure. "Heavy" day was thrown off by epic bro fest (not mine) so I never got to the bench. (did db bench instead)
  • Deadlift - 175.  I believe it felt pretty light so I think, all else the same, I'll hit my 190 goal quickly.

BroviOsa:

• Added additional upper body accessory work this week on Days 1 and 2.  Nothing additional on 3.  I'm totally okay with this. 

After all this time:

• Meditated every day but one (I forgot on Friday). 

It does not do to dwell:

• I'm not sure how I'm doing here.  Initially, not bad. But I had the chance to meetup with Gainsdalf this previous week and I was too exhausted to actually feel up to it.  So, while I did rest when I needed to rest I also blew off  spending time with a cool nerd.  I'm not entirely sure which one should have won.
  • I skipped kickboxing this week, which is good for me.  I need to ease into working out more. It seems like every time I try I end up hurting myself. So first I'm getting back into the swing of lifting, then I'll add a class.

Speaking of lifting.  Friday's workout:

4/25/14

squat:

bwx6

85x2

95x2

115x3

115x3

115x3

115x3

115x3

115x3

115x3

115x3

I taped most of these.  They're looking a little strippery. Do. not. like. It was a frustrating session.

db bench:

40x5

40x5

40x5

40x5

I think? Maybe 35? I don't recall right now but it's in my notebook.

BSS:

25x8

25x8

25x8

Goblet style with one dumbbell. In all of my akwardness I ended up tripping over the bench and sending the db flying.  It wasn't totally embarrassing or anything. Really...

Lat pulldown:

90x8

90x7

90x5

I had done so much in the row dept earlier in the week that I felt silly doing more. So I figured some lat pull down work would be good.

Extensions:

25x8

25x8

25x8

I started this workout with ~45 minutes of mobility.  My legs have been so jacked up from not lifting and working my 'run around all day' second job. 

45 minutes of mobility!! You win! I shouldn't complain about how tight I am ever again. I haven't ever pre-workout mobilized that much. You're the queen of everything.

I can relate to just when you think you get going, you get hurt. Except with me, I have a good workout, feel like I can take on the world and am hitting a stride. Bask in the post-workout glow for maybe 14-18 hours, then, boom. Feel terrible and it knocks me down for about 3-4 days. So frustrating. I think that's AI-related. And I've decided I'm going to forfeit Camp Nerd Fitness for that functional medicine doctor I talked to you about I think last week. So, my point is, missing a meetup with Gainsdalf sucks, but I guess it's a similar thing here - passing up good times at camp for hopefully better health. 

All that said, you're progressing nicely on your lifts. Not that I'd expect anything less. 

• Like 1

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

lurking.gif

*comes out of lurker mode*

You are doing awesome! I think last challenge you kept forgetting to meditate and look at you go this time around! Not only that but you’re keeping up with mobility and progressing superbly on your lifts. I know it might feel “meh†sometimes but looking at the big picture – you are getting better and learning.

I agree with SS about the ridiculous amounts of mobility you do. Someday I will do 45 minutes. I don’t think I’ve even accumulated that much this year yet.

I also agree with SS about looking out for your health. Don’t fear missing out when you took care of yourself and probably had a better day because of it! You can always choose differently next time.

*returns to lurker mode*

1395196571601.gif

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

45 minutes of mobility!! You win! I shouldn't complain about how tight I am ever again. I haven't ever pre-workout mobilized that much. You're the queen of everything.

I can relate to just when you think you get going, you get hurt. Except with me, I have a good workout, feel like I can take on the world and am hitting a stride. Bask in the post-workout glow for maybe 14-18 hours, then, boom. Feel terrible and it knocks me down for about 3-4 days. So frustrating. I think that's AI-related. And I've decided I'm going to forfeit Camp Nerd Fitness for that functional medicine doctor I talked to you about I think last week. So, my point is, missing a meetup with Gainsdalf sucks, but I guess it's a similar thing here - passing up good times at camp for hopefully better health. 

All that said, you're progressing nicely on your lifts. Not that I'd expect anything less. 

hahaha Queen of everything! Can I get a sash with that on it? Please?

I was so, so, so tight and jacked up.  That mobility really helped.  Sometimes I forget I need vary up what I do and then my body reminds me.  So, that's always "fun."

The functional doc sounds like a good plan.  I hear ya.  The health seems so damned finicky sometimes. 

lurking.gif

*comes out of lurker mode*

You are doing awesome! I think last challenge you kept forgetting to meditate and look at you go this time around! Not only that but you’re keeping up with mobility and progressing superbly on your lifts. I know it might feel “meh†sometimes but looking at the big picture – you are getting better and learning.

I agree with SS about the ridiculous amounts of mobility you do. Someday I will do 45 minutes. I don’t think I’ve even accumulated that much this year yet.

I also agree with SS about looking out for your health. Don’t fear missing out when you took care of yourself and probably had a better day because of it! You can always choose differently next time.

*returns to lurker mode*

1395196571601.gif

Awww yay! Thanks :- )

hahaha I envy you people who can function as normal humans without 45 minutes of mobility!!!  As Pa Squatcake says, "It's hell getting old." hahahah

That octopus gif is mesmerizing... also, this seems relevant.

You're doing so great Bro :D

zefrank!!!  God, I love True Facts.  So great.

Thanks, Bro! :fist bump:

Let me just add that your mobility work makes my mobility work look like weak sauce.

Hahahaha thanks :P  I like to pretend Kstar would give me a high five.

Monday 4/28/14

Forgot to meditate.

squat:

bwx6

85x2

95x2

100x10

100x10

100x10

I went back and forth between high bar and low bar (blasphemy, I know).  The sets were broken down into clusters. Still getting the groove back.  Also, my gym was hot as hell and all I had was a hoodie.  It was heinous.

bench:

80x10

80x10

80x8

Pretty good sets. The last 2 reps of the first two sets were tough but doable.

sls to box:

2x8

1x5

Each leg. right leg is a lot harder to do this with. Not sure if it's mobility, strength, jacked up hips or what. so annoying.

inverted ring rows:

Did these between my sls work but then remembered I was supposed to do chin ups so stopped. And duh. Come on, Hermy.

chin ups:

with green band

and lots of negatives and holds

extensions:

25x10

25x10

25x8

Tuesday 4/29/14

Meditated.

Rest day, so no workout.

Lots of much needed QT with Boyf.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines