• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Styx

Styx swims against time and space! (Tries to, at least)

Hi Scouts! After a successful first challenge, and a series of events, I was pushed on to joining the Scouts! 

I was actually gearing myself in finding a gym, and continuing Muay Thai to join the Monks, but events shifted me to another thing that I've been planning for a long time and something that I enjoy deeply: SWIMMING. 

I'm currently training swimming with a coach in a 25m pool 2 minute bike ride from home. I swim about 5-6 times a week. :D

So I've decided to take this challenge to the Scouts, and hope to get advice, recommendations, and suggestions from the Scouts. :D

Mission 1: Prep!

To be able to beat Time and Space, I need to reinforce my swimming with Dryland exercises:

• Research, discover, formulate a dryland exercise.
  • Do this dryland exercise at least 3 times a week. (every other day)

Rewards: +2 STR +2 Dex

Mission 2: Defeat Space!

In order to beat space, I must conquer these distances without stopping:

• 400m Freestyle (currently at 150m) 
  • 400m Breaststroke (currently at 150m)
  • 200m Butterfly (currently at 50m)
  • 200m Backstroke (currently at 50m)

Current record:

• 200m freestyle
  • 200m breastroke
  • 75m butterfly
  • 50m backstroke

Reward: +2 STA +2 STR

Mission 3: Defeat time!

In order to defeat time, I must record my times, and BEAT them!

• 50m freestyle: 34.7s  32.7
  • 50m breaststroke: 45s 42.3
  • 50m butterfly: 50s
  • 50m backstroke: 45s
  • 200m freestyle: 3:39.2s   1m 27s
  • 100m breastsroke  1m 35s

• other distances will be recorded once I have conquered them in Space!
  • The following times were taken in a 25m pool :D

Reward: +2 STA +3 DEX

LIFE Quest:

Bike or run at least 3 times a week IN THE MORNING. The distance won't matter, as long as I got up and moved. This means:

•  Disciplining myself to wake up earlier than my usual wake up time
  • Sleep earlier than my usual

Reward: +1 WIS +1 STA

That's it! Good luck on your challenges! I appreciate every help and advice you can give! :D

• Like 1

Hopefully you enjoy your time here with the Scouts, whether you picked us or the Scouting life licked you. I think what you need is a TARDIS, those do wonders with time and space. :)

• Like 1

Welcome -- great to see another swimmer!  (And another sleep related challenge)  Good luck with your goals.

Thanks! A lot of people are struggling with sleep now.. Good luck to you too!

Swimming against both time and space!? He's a madman, I tell ya!

Rock on, man. Good luck!

Thanks man! Good luck on your challenge too! And I'll see you and the monks once I got this over! :D

Hopefully you enjoy your time here with the Scouts, whether you picked us or the Scouting life licked you. I think what you need is a TARDIS, those do wonders with time and space. :)

Thanks!! In fact, I really am a Scout and a Monk at heart. I've been mountain biking with my father, cousins, and friends for almost 3 years now, and I'll be adding swimming to my Scouting skills! I'll go get that TARDIS!

Thank you guys for the welcome! Good luck with your challenges too! 

Seems like swimming is picking up a lot of supporters this time around.

That's a good set of targets to aim for. So what prompted the change of training focus, if you don't mind me asking?

Seems like swimming is picking up a lot of supporters this time around.

That's a good set of targets to aim for. So what prompted the change of training focus, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm having a 4month break from school, and now I'm home. I wasn't able to find a Muay Thai gym nearby, and an opportunity to train swimming came up, which felt too good to pass. So I grabbed it! :D

I'm having a 4month break from school, and now I'm home. I wasn't able to find a Muay Thai gym nearby, and an opportunity to train swimming came up, which felt too good to pass. So I grabbed it! :D

Carpe Diem - and definitely better than being idle for all that time.
  • Like 1

Carpe Diem - and definitely better than being idle for all that time.

Definitely! Which is pretty sweet since I've been wanting to swim for a while now. :D

Quest Update! 

Today was pretty sweet. I have set my own time to beat. I did no other exercise aside from my swimming. Here is my total workout today:

• 2x 25m underwater swim without breating with 10 bubblings for rest in between 50m
  • 50m each stroke with 10 bubblings in between as rest (freestyle, breaststroke, backstroke, butterfly) 200m
  • 2x 50m butterfly to work on my stoke with 2-3 minutes rest in between 100m
  • 75m fast freestyle with dive 75m
  • 75m freestyle-breaststroke medley 75m
  • 2x 25m underwater swim without breating with 10 bubblings for rest in between 50m
  • 50m timed freestyle
  • 50m timed breaststroke
  • 50m timed backstroke
  • 50m timed butterfly

Total distance: 750m

Update on my goal: Defeat Time! 

• 50m freestyle: 34.7s
  • 50m breaststroke: 35s
  • 50m butterfly: 50s
  • 50m backstroke: 45s

My initial time. I need to beat these records, and add more records to beat once I get to time my 100ms, 200ms and hopefully 400ms. :D 
My butterfly record is pretty ugly atm. But having recently learned the stroke, I believe I have more room for improvement. Backstroke record is also ugly, well, backstroke really feels like my weakness. Well, this gives me more goals to improve on! 

OH! An update on my dryland exercise:

After reading some replies, and some articles, I have decided to do Ben Greenfield's dryland training  in addition to my Start bodyweight progression since I'm not really after some specified muscles, I think this will do. Though I will remove the pull-ups and squats from my start bodyweight program. I have decided this because: I cant find a pull-up bar, and I cant do the pistol squats progression because my legs really feel tired from swimming everyday and biking every now and then. :D

• Like 1

UPDATE #2 

Didn't do any swimming today, but I went trail biking with my father. We covered 40km, my rough estimate is 17 kms of road, and the rest is cross country trails. It feels like I didn't do much, but me and my father went fast so my legs are really tired. I'm quite content with what I did today. I tried taking pictures, but the pictures I took with my phone are hideous.  :nonchalance: I'll try again next time.

I just realized I'll be away from home from April 26-30, which means I'll be away from the pool. I'll also be away from May 10-30. This sucks, because that's like 3 weeks taken away from the challenge already. But I already talked to my coach and we'll try to compensate for the lost time. 

Tomorrow I'll swim for sure.  :onthego:

• Like 1

Don't worry. Scouts are all about moving places. I'm sure you'll find something to do to get your move on.

• Like 1

I have to admit that your swimming lingo is beyond me, but these look like very formidable goals! And you're off to a great start :)

Will your time off put you near another pool? Some gyms do month-by-month, which might be worth it for that 3 week stretch. Otherwise you'll have to join us landlubbers for a walk!

• Like 1

Looks like you're a sprinter, or at least doing sprint workouts.

As for being away, they make these niffty swim belt trainers. Basically it is a long silicone hose that tethers you to the rail of a really small pool and you can basically swim in place for your workout. This helps when you are staying in hotels with tiny pools.

If you can bring your bike with you, that too is an excellent workout it seems  :onthego:

• Like 1

I love the idea of someone tethered to the side of a hotel pool with a belt, getting your swimming in. As 18ck once accused me, "that's just so nerdfitness!"

• Like 3

Swimming awesome. (Technically, there should be an "is" in there, although I like it without, so I'll keep it out.)

I'm a bit uncomfortable about saying this, but... If you're a beginner, I'm not sure that swimming a 200 meter fly is a realistic goal to achieve in six weeks. It's an exhausting stroke and probably the hardest for a beginner (or expert) to build distance at. It's also the best stroke by a long way, so don't fear it—but I'd suggest focusing on getting the stroke down well and avoiding introducing bad habits rather than focusing on distance.

• Like 1

Don't worry. Scouts are all about moving places. I'm sure you'll find something to do to get your move on.

Yeah, I hope I can bring my bike if not, it's hill sprints for me! (It's a bit hilly where I'm going) :D

I have to admit that your swimming lingo is beyond me, but these look like very formidable goals! And you're off to a great start :)

Will your time off put you near another pool? Some gyms do month-by-month, which might be worth it for that 3 week stretch. Otherwise you'll have to join us landlubbers for a walk!

Looks like you're a sprinter, or at least doing sprint workouts.

As for being away, they make these niffty swim belt trainers. Basically it is a long silicone hose that tethers you to the rail of a really small pool and you can basically swim in place for your workout. This helps when you are staying in hotels with tiny pools.

If you can bring your bike with you, that too is an excellent workout it seems  :onthego:

I love the idea of someone tethered to the side of a hotel pool with a belt, getting your swimming in. As 18ck once accused me, "that's just so nerdfitness!"

I know! I find it both funny and ingenious!! Will do look for a pool or that hose :D

Swimming awesome. (Technically, there should be an "is" in there, although I like it without, so I'll keep it out.)

I'm a bit uncomfortable about saying this, but... If you're a beginner, I'm not sure that swimming a 200 meter fly is a realistic goal to achieve in six weeks. It's an exhausting stroke and probably the hardest for a beginner (or expert) to build distance at. It's also the best stroke by a long way, so don't fear it—but I'd suggest focusing on getting the stroke down well and avoiding introducing bad habits rather than focusing on distance.

I really appreciate you said that, because I really am getting frustrated at myself when I'm failing to go for another lap of butterfly. Now I know it's not just me.. Thanks!

It's not just you... When I started swimming it was a couple years before my coach would put me (and most other people) in the 100 fly. Admittedly, it was as a kid, but I was still doing 100s of the other specialty strokes.

• Like 1

UPDATE

I was not able to update for so long! For the past days, I was not able to train rigorously as I was training swimming before. The amount of people that went to the pool really hindered me. And my coach was busy as well. Although that was the case, me and my father went biking 3 days in a row. The Easter weekend was fun even if I wasn't able to train as much as I want. 

Now, I'm pressured to train harder to make up for the lost time. My trainer agreed to give me 2 sessions in a day. 1 in the morning, and 1 in the afternoon if time permits it. Will start tomorrow! :D

Doubledays - good for you!! That is serious dedication to the cause. Have you been doing well with getting exercise in in the morning as a general rule this past week?

Have the dryland exercises been helping with the lack of water time?

Definitely is! Although I'm having troubles with the leg exercises because of biking. :D

Doubledays - good for you!! That is serious dedication to the cause. Have you been doing well with getting exercise in in the morning as a general rule this past week?

Yes! And I thank my father for that! He's been waking me up every morning to go biking. :D

UPDATE!

Today wasn't much, but I broke my record on freestyle and butterfly: 200m! Too bad I wasn't able to record my time! My coach has been pretty busy, the start of summer vacation has sent a lot of kids to the pool. Most of them are enrolled under my coach. The coolest thing today was I helped my coach handle a kid, and was able to teach him the basic footwork! Tomorrow morning I'll be swimming and might help my coach teach some kids after my workout ;D