Curlyfrymsu's first challenge - Exercise keeps me from going postal at work!

Hello hello! 

I like to think I'm in relatively decent shape, but I haven't been happy with my habits :(  SO, my main goal here is just to feel stronger and have more energy, I think with a quantative goal of being able to get a 300 on my physical fitness test with the Army.  My side goals that I think will get me there are:

FLEXIBILITY:

Be able to touch my toes with my legs straight, something I haven't been able to do since I was 6 years old (tight hamstrings, anyone??)

STRENGTH:

Dead lift twice my body weight (currently at 135 pounds dead lifting)

Bench press triple digits (currently at 75 pounds)

Squat my body weight (Currently able to squat 95 pounds)

Do a pull-up with no assistance

SPEED

Get back down to a sub-15 minute 2-mile.

I've always been a runner, but I find that I feel better when I mix strength training and running...the challenge for me is just sticking to a schedule!  I'm excited to finally be a member of the rebellion after lurking for a few months!  :redface: 

• Like 1

Level 0

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you" -Fred Devito

I've planned out a rough schedule, now actually sticking to it is a bigger issue...

Mondays and Wednesdays I do vinyasa yoga and a 2-3 mile run

Tuesday is leg day, I do deadlifts, squats, hamstring/glute curls, calf raises, and occasionally lunges.  If I have time, I'll do a sprint interval exercise

Thursday is chest/arm day, I do benchpress, shoulder press, dips and assisted pull ups (looking for additional effective arm exercises…)

Friday is back day, generally I do more deadlifts and lat pull-downs and a sprint interval exercise

Saturday is rest day.

Sunday I do a long run (5 miles, long for me lol) with my dad.

Level 0

Awesome goals! What about food? It's our fuel to do these things, so it does play a huge role!

For your flexibility... I *love* the series Ekhart Yoga has on youtube for runners. In the six and a half years I've been with my husband, I've never been able to out stretch him -- but now I can!! Both my running and strength training do soooo much better when I'm doing those three yoga routines. The 20-something minute one on my strength days, and the warm up & cool down ones on my running days.

Meg -- Primal since late June 2013, never going back! 

26%
26%

weight loss progress

Ourmisadventures-  You're so right about food!  Actually, I've transitioned pretty well into a "real food" diet...i rarely eat prepackaged things or fast food anymore and i make sure that I get well rounded meals (protein, fat, and carbs).  I used to be terrible about eating whatever was in the kitchen because I was lazy, but now I try to make a lot of food over the weekend so I'm set for most of the week :)  What I have noticed is that since I started heavy strength training, I've started eating a whole lot more.  Almost constantly!  I'll eat greek yogurt mixed with berries and granola for breakfast, avocado for a snack, salad with grilled chicken for lunch, apple or banana for another snack, normally peanut butter or a handful of nuts before I go to the gym, and a protein shake along with a piece of meat (steak, chicken, salmon, etc) for dinner and a ton of veggies...lately I'm on a huge asparagus or broccoli kick!  Oh and I drink water the whole time :peaceful:

I absolutely love yoga!  I normally do vinyasa yoga, the power/flow thing is really my style and keeps me focused and engaged the whole hour. Plus I rarely go the next day without being a little sore, so I see it as a good workout too!  I can almost do a full uttanasana (possibly way wrong on the spelling there LOL) without having to bend my knees or use a block.  Progress, I say!

Level 0

Had a great workout yesterday!!  I did my back workout since I have a big going-away party on Friday, I figure i can just get a run in on that day instead of a lengthy workout :) 

I dead-lifted 155!! Personal record!!  Plus face pulls, lat pull-downs, bent over rows, and an (unintentional) half mile flat out sprint with my puppy.  "Let's go on a half mile sprint with a leash wrapped around my legs, that seems like a good idea!" - said no one ever.  She bounced around me the whole time, I swear in her little puppy brain she was yelling HARDCORE PARKOUR!!

• Like 1

Level 0

Hello! I'm scout ambassador primeval, and I see you have some running as part of your goals! Excellent. Scouts are all about endurance sports like running, walking, cycling, swimming, etc. Many of us also do strength activities and yoga. If you've any questions, feel free to drop by the Scout Tavern ( http://rebellion.ner...-and-questions/)  and say hello, but I'll pop in here from time to time and see how you're doing. :)

My only caution would be to watch out for leg day followed by any serious running. Specifically, beware of those squats. I've found that they sneak up on me and can ruin my running plans. No joke!

Good luck with your goals!

Class and Profession: Level 23 Borg Queen 

Congrats on the PR!! How has everything gone since then??

I do have a question about your goals - do you have any specific milestones you'd like to reach during this six week challenge?? I see a lot of really fantastic ambitions there, but while I'm not a lifter it doesn't seem possible to double your deadlift in 6 weeks. I find it really helpful to use the challenges to set shorter term goals that can help me reach the long term ones. 

Let us know how it's going!

Level 7 DINOSAUR Scout
STR: 9 - CON: 12 - DEX: 6 - STA: 10 - WIS: 16 - CHA: 11
Current Challenge
Scouts Base Camp
Scouts Tavern

Hi! I'm applying to the USMC officer candidates school, so I'm also working towards a 300 PFT :)  Running and working towards one unassisted pull-up are part of my challenge too!

Sounds like you have a pretty good workout plan in place - how have you done for the last week?

hey man!!

I love the running goal... and the fit test goal!!

how are things going? it's the start of week five!!!! can we haz updates?

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines