Kellbot Joins the Circus

At this point I'm probably mid-level at fitness and nutrition, but this is my first challenge so I'll start here. My full intro can be found here but the tl;dr version is that I am working on getting stronger for aerial silks. This involves a lot of correcting my eating habits, which have kind of gone to shit in the last year. I also keep a blog with more high-level updates on my cooking / exercise progress.

Main Quest

Do 10 consecutive pull ups

Life quest

Organize my office closet. There be dragons.

Specific Goals 

• Do three weight lifting routines per week
  • By the end of 6 weeks I will weigh myself only once a week
  • I will run or jog 5 miles each week and log it on Runkeeper

Right now I'm training for the student showcase at circus school, so this challenge will be focused mostly on strength training. I've got a little running in there too though, in January I plan to run my first 10k (plus a 5k in October for good measure) so I want to make sure my running doesn't get totally rusty.

I have gotten a little scale-obsessed so now that I've hit my weight loss goal I want to step away from it. Right now I weigh myself daily, but I'd like to get down to once a week. 

Currently I can do 3 consecutive pull ups, so I'm hoping 10 isn't too far. I don't expect to get there in 6 weeks, but I'm hoping to add at least 1 or 2 to my max.

My life quest is somewhat straightforward: sometime in the next 6 weeks I need to take a weekend to organize my closet. It's a complete disaster.

Goal Progress

Goal 1: 15 weight lifting workouts* in 6 weeks. Currently at 11.

73%
73%

Goal 2: Run 30 miles in 6 weeks. Currently at 31

100%
100%

*Due to an upcoming aerial silks performance, week 3 workouts are replaced by aerials training
See signature for main quest progress!

• Like 2

Main Quest: Run 8 miles

Longest run so far: 6.22 @ 11:27

77%
77%

6 Week Challenge (Level 2) Kellbot's Going the Distance

Previous Challenge (Level 1) Aerial silks training and questing for 10 pull ups

Do you even lift? How lifting weights taught me to love my body

Thanks!

Here's a still from class today. I usually video myself to see what I need to work on. Today the answer is "everything" but mostly I need to remember to point my toes.

13902285505_ef4a079f1d.jpg

I've got three more weeks to get it right.

77%
77%

One workout down so far this week, and I moved my pull up bar from my bedroom to my office, so I might actually use it more often.

Here's the doom closet in its current blurry state:

20140416_162612.jpg

77%
77%

Hi

I've just added a guild tag to your thread. I reckon you're an assassin through and through with goals like that. I see you're also doing some running though, and if you'd like some tips on how to go further and faster, how to avoid injuries, and so on, feel free to stop by the scout tavern and say hi.

Doing 3 pullups is pretty impressive already. I hope you enjoy your 6 weeks and get even more impressive by the day
  • Like 1

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Thanks!

I haven't made much goal progress this week, I think I'm only going to be able to hit 2/3 lifting workouts. But I'm doing a ton of work! Just mostly on aerial silks rather than weight lifting.

Here's what I've done so far:

Monday: Silks for an hour

Tuesday: Silks for an hour

Wednesday: Weight lifting and a 2 mile run

Thursday: 30 minutes cycling and silks for an hour

Friday: Handbalancing for an hour. I wanted to get another day of weights in but I am so tired, I just don't think it's gonna happen.

Tomorrow is a 3 mile run and then hitting the gym for weight lifting. Sunday is OFF. Thank god.

• Like 1

77%
77%

Even though I'm super tired I did a set of pull ups before heading to lunch today, and I GOT TO FOUR! Woooooo! This is the first time I've managed to eek out four in a row.

To celebrate I'm posting a video from practice last night of a dive I'm working on. :) http://youtu.be/XAVlNJg5Z_w

• Like 1

77%
77%

Made it to the end of the week, thank god. For some reason the gym was full of people being idiots and I wanted to stab this one dude who was being particularly obnoxious. 

Grades for my goal progress this week:

2/3 weight lifting workouts. B-
One shy of my goal, but that's mainly because I had extra circus practice.

Only weighed myself 4x this week A+

My goal for this week was 6 or less. Next week it's 5 or less.

Ran 5.5 miles. A

Not crushing it by any means, but I did get out and run. Today's run was a little slow (14 minute pace) because I had to wait at a lot of stop lights. Wednesday's run was just under a 12 minute pace.

Closet status: Still terrifying, haven't touched it. F for Effort. 

I signed up for a 5k next Sunday, on a very hilly course. I'm excited and nervous, last time I tried to run it (3 years ago) it got the better of me and I ended up walking the last third. 

• Like 1

77%
77%

I survived Easter, which involved TWO separate family dinners, and made mostly good choices. My weight didn't change, although I skipped weighing myself Monday morning.

Had a real tough time dragging my butt to the gym this morning, but I did it! I ran there and back (0.9 miles each way). It's straight up hill on the way there, which is good preparation for the 5k next week, lots of hills on that course.

Did abs and back at the gym today, including 3 sets of 15 assisted pull ups. I'm down to only 40 lbs of assist (on my 130 lb body). Unassisted I can reliably crank out 4!

I've reached the end of the road for free barbells at Planet Fitness, now that I can do 3 sets of 10 at 60 lbs. Now it's on to either the Smith machine (ugh) or switch to dumbbell deadlifts, Probably going for the latter.

Overall a good morning despite a slow start. +1.8 miles running and +1 workout!

• Like 3

77%
77%

Hi!! Really good start! And I like the approach you are taking.

I'm Chris-Tien, one of the Assassin guild ambassadors.  It looks like with the bodyweight workouts you may have goals similar to what many in our guild work on, and we’d love to help you reach your goals! I'm working on pullups myself and am jealous of your progress - keep it up!!!

Here is a link to more information about the Assassin guild.  And here is a link to the Assassin phonebook with a list of various exercises/skills that guild members are working on for this challenge, as well as links to their challenge topics.

If you ever have any questions or need help with anything, we would love to assist you!  An easy way to get my attention is to use the quote or like buttons at the bottom right corner of any of my posts.  I have the setting turned on that makes the forum alert me when readers do that.  You can also get in touch with me easily through posting on my current challenge log or by using the messenger system (the envelope button at the very top of the screen).

There are many people in the Assassin’s guild who you can also get help from.  Start by visiting the Assassin’s Den – a general chat thread in the guild forum – and introducing yourself.  You can always ask questions there too.

In any case, we’ll stop by from time to time to check in with you and offer support.  Good luck!

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Thanks! I confess, I don't know what I need to do to join the assassins guild, but it sounds like where I should be.

My performance is a week from Saturday, I am FREAKING OUT. Ok maybe not quite, but I'm pretty intimidated!

I met with my trainer today (+1 workout) and we worked on some new (to me) chest and triceps exercises. I also got acquainted with the horror that is the ab wheel, and we cleaned up my squat form.

• Like 1

77%
77%

Thanks! I confess, I don't know what I need to do to join the assassins guild, but it sounds like where I should be.

It's really easy!  After you finish this six-week challenge, there will be another one.  When that next challenge starts, new forums will be created for each of the guilds.  All of you have to do to join the Assassins is to create your next six-week challenge topic in that Assassin forum.

• Like 3

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

Another week down, and another point towards my main quest! I'm now at 5 consecutive pull ups. The 5th one is a little wobbly, but it's there!

Grades for this week:

2/3 lifting workouts: C. Once again didn't get that third workout in due to training for circus and a 5k race. I might be able to sneak it in tomorrow after the 5k, but I definitely don't want to do anything today that will leave me sore for the race.

Weighed myself 4x: A. This week's goal was 5, and I'm within that. Next week's is 4, working down to 1 the last week. Weight stayed steady.

Ran 5.9 miles: A. Today's run was short in anticipation of the 5k tomorrow.

Closet status: I haven't touched the closet itself, but the path to it has become more clear!

BmKSa0WIYAAzs2L.jpg

Actually today is Spring Cleaning day at my house, which I am procrastinating by taking before and after panoramas of my office. I'll let you know when we get to "after."

• Like 2

77%
77%

I ran the 5k this morning and beat my goal by 2 minutes! My anticipated pace was for a 36 minute 5k, with a goal to squeak it under 35 minutes if I could. I came in at 33 even! I'm running another race in October and hoping to get it down to 30 minutes by then.

Edit: Got in a lifting workout today, which brings me to 5 total. After talking to my trainer I've decided to take a week off of lifting following my performance, so I adjusted my goal according (now 15 workouts in 6 weeks rather than 18).

• Like 1

77%
77%

Good job on your closet! and on your 5k time! and on you pull ups!

I decided this weekend to have an impromptu spring cleaning on the office, aka box room with a path to a computer. We found boxes in there that were never opened when we moved in 3 years ago! For me the hardest part of spring cleaning is getting distracted by all the things you forgot you had! Ha! I've somewhat over come that by putting those things on my bed before finding a home for it. If I can't find a home by the time I am ready for bed, everything left on the bed goes in the donation box! It's a good motivator for getting rid of things you really don't want/need and keeping those you do! I hope your organization/cleaning out party was a success over the weekend!

• Like 1

Oh my god, yes. If I were to just chuck the boxes into a furnace, I would NEVER miss the stuff in them. But as soon as I open them and see it I'm like OH THIS IS SUCH AN IMPORTANT THING TO ME. It's terrible.

Looking at this week, and what I need to do to prepare for my performance on Saturday, I think I need to let circus practice count towards my 3 workouts. If I were to try and layer weight lifting on top of all the rehearsing I'm doing, I'd be overdoing it pretty intensely. I put that goal in to keep me from slacking on my workouts, but I don't think that spending 4+ hours a week on silks should count as slacking.

14053492602_8c583c693a.jpg

I had rehearsal this morning, so I'm +1 workout for the week.

77%
77%

Another rehearsal last night, +1 workout, and today a much needed break. I have a bruise the size of a baseball on my leg from repeatedly messing up the same move. 

77%
77%

I did some very light cardio this morning, and today I've been doing sets of 2-3 pull ups every time I walk in or out of my office. I'm at 22 for the day so far, and I did manage to get a set of 5 in there. I tried to go for 6 but it just wasn't happening.

• Like 1

77%
77%

Just now catching up with your thread. Loved the  silks video!

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

The show went great! There's a video, but unfortunately it's not viewable on mobile because YouTube is being weird about the music I used (a mashup of two songs).

• Like 1

77%
77%

With all the hubub I forgot to grade myself this week. 

Workouts: A-  I technically got it done, but didn't feel super on point about it.

Weighing myself: A- Only four weigh-ins, but two were back to back. Need to stop obsessing over my weight so hard.

Running: Ran a 5k and another 2 mile run on Friday

Closet: Making progress! I threw out / donated / otherwise excavated a bunch of stuff and organized some of the boxes of crap. It is now possible to close the door!

13942976510_fd277d9fe1.jpg

• Like 1

77%
77%

Great work on the closet! Seems like your workouts were consistent. Why didn't you feel they were on point?

• Like 1

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Nuala - thanks! The dives are very dramatic, but also very safe so they're great for showing off.

Elastigirl - I just didn't feel like I was pushing it, partly because I was rehearsing for the showcase rather than just doing a bunch of lifting or conditioning. I guess because it's not as much of a workout? I should rethink that though... I lift to get better at circus not the other way around!

I'm taking this week off lifting, per my trainer's instructions, and it's driving me NUTS. So itchy to get back in the swing of things. The showcase was great but I feel a little out of it because all the extra practices and performance schedule threw me out of my routine.

I did start my 10k training this week, I'm running my first 10k in September and hoping to run it in under 65 minutes. So +3 miles today, nice and slow.

77%
77%

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines