(Same) Main Quest: Stop Making Myself Sick

In particular, to improve my diet and fitness to the point where they aren't providing me with risk factors.

Missions:

1. Walking:

I've been maintaining an average of 7500 steps walked per day, as measured by a Fitbit Force, with a goal of increasing to 10,000 (a bit more each challenge). A week ago, the Fitbit Force went missing. I'm now using a Basis Band, which is known to record fewer steps for the same distance, due to intermittent episodes of recording nothing at all.

I'd like to have a goal of averaging at least 8000 Fitbit Force steps per day, but that's impractical. So the official goal is an average of 7000 Basis Band steps, until I find or replace the missing Fitbit Force, (This is, by the way, ambitious, and subject to revision. I've had days where the Basis Band recorded 30% fewer steps than the Fitbit Force. The all time worst was the day my left arm was attached to a body that walked 6530 steps and my right arm was attached to one that walked 11328 steps! I *think* if I'm attentive I can reset the Basis Band when it stops noticing my activity, and only have a 1000 step deficit. But I'm not sure.)

4 STA

2. Exercise:

Maintain strength exercises - 2 STR

Maintain stretches                  1 DEX

Trainer sessions                     1 CON

3. Food:

• Caffeine Control  (count % of days with 2 or fewer cups of caffeinated tea)   1 WIS
  • Chocolate Control (count % of days with 4 or fewer ghirardelli squares or equivalent) 1 CHA
  • Fruit and Vegetables (100% would be 5 servings of fruit/veg per day, averaged to make it achievable. 1 CON

4. Sleep

To bed by 12:30 AM every night before a work day (exemption (1) if I nap the day before; (2) bridge nights) 1 CON, 1 WIS

[Edit going into week 5: In recognition of the realities of my new job, bedtime is 11 PM on week nights, 12:30 AM on other nights.]

8 hours sleep every night (including any naps during the following day), except bridge nights: 1 CON, 1 WIS

That's 15 points.

Since I can't award partial points, I'll do something reasonable if I find I've earned 0.4 DEX and 0.6 CHA or some such - e.g. convert that to 1 CHA, 0 DEX. [Edit - I see other people with decimal stats, so

I guess I won't have to round down, and can give myself partial points after all.]

I know there are 4 missions; if people insist, I'll call getting enough sleep a "life quest".

I apologize for the boring and repetitive nature of this challenge. I'm jet lagged out of my gourd right now, and totally bereft of imagination, but wanting to get something up while I'm only 2 days late starting . ;-)

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

STR 5 | DEX 3 | STA 16 | CON 10 | WIS 13 | CHA 6

Current Challenge  Battle Log   Past: 5 4 3 2 1 0.1

Pre-Quest:

1. It's achievable, and I've been making progress every challenge. Unfortunately I fear it will take more than the 4 challenges I originally planned - but last challenge's bout of injury combined with the battle royal I'm having with veggies has convinced me to slow down.
  2. yes
  3. I don't expect to succeed on the veggies, since 3 per day was a battle royal last time. That's why I converted it to % scoring. (Increasing the goal each challenge isn't working; maybe this might.)  I also don't expect 100% on the sleep - and plan to exempt my current jet lag from being scored - planes that get in at 2 AM get a free exemption, as does a body that's getting up on time ... in another time zone, where it's just come from. (I only listed bridge nights, but I actually have a functional system of what rates an exemption.)
  4. yes, they measure quite nicely, though I'd much rather have my reliable Fitbit Force recording my walking.
  5. mostly grading based on averages or %s, to avoid the "I've already failed, so let's stop trying" effect. Switched some that had been averages to %s because I didn't like the results of the way averages worked for that type of goal in my last challenge.
  6. A certain degree of sickness, injury, domestic emergency, etc. gets me a free day off of anything impacted. IBS attacks -> veggie reduction. If problems persist, I will substitute whatever helps recovery for whatever exercise I would have been doing. (That's where the stretches in the current program came from, in fact.)
  7. See answer #6. If e.g. I'm stuck in an airplane all day, I get a free day off walking ;-) And if that plane gets in late, I can skip the relevant sleep goal for free.  Holiday foods are not an issue. (If I can fit 5 lbs of cake in on top of 5 servings of veggies, I'm allowed to do so ;-) I just have to have the veggies first/as well.)
  8. I've had conflicts in the past, usually in the form of procrastinating about exercise until my choice is to either do the exercises or get to bed on time. The solution is to avoid procrastinating. (Which reminds me - it's after noon and I haven't yet done my early ("morning") stretches ;-))
  9. Time is always tight, particularly when I need to cook to meet my food goals. With a new job starting next week, this may be worse than usual -and there's additional risk in that I expect to be eating lunches with my new coworkers most days, often ordered in - some risk of them not being too healthy. I'll just have to figure out how to cope - or get a really low score ;-))
  10. Multiple habits, all relevant to the same quest, and mostly synergistic. (More exercise -> better sleep, better eating. Better sleep -> less caffeine. etc.)

I think these are as OK as I can get them, though I wish I had a personal chef ;-) Giving myself +1 WIS for the mini-quest.

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

My first day went about as badly as I expected, given the jet lag and the missing Fitbit.

- didn't even record sleep the day before, since I got in at 2 AM with my body thinking it was 6 AM ;-)

- got to bed around 9 (not sure quite when) and up at 6:20 - a nice start to today.

- didn't quite walk 2 miles (4434 steps. meh.) I think the Basis Band was recording OK; the only walk I took was with the dogs in AM.

- managed to stop myself at 2 cups of caffeinated tea, down from around 4 per day on my trip. Yay me!

- no chocolate!

- 4 of 5 fruits/vegetables - mostly by snacking on dried fruit. Bought grapes, carrots, and tomatoes for healthy snacking.

- did my stretches.

- was a scheduled off day for strength training.

I'm actually happy with this. I wish I'd had enough stamina to take an evening walk, or the sense to walk in the afternoon. And it's a bit of a bummer to have managed 4/5 veggies, and not eaten the 5th - but I was non-functional with exhaustion, and it was late enough that I wouldn't be perpetuating the jet lag by going to bed. And yesterday was always intended as a "do what I can" day - basically a free pass to skip things, because of exhaustion and jet lag.

Let's see if I can do a full routine today, not claim another jet lag day. Presently swilling green tea, having been too stressed/exhausted/tired to feed the dogs right on waking (poor things, but they usually get fed around 8 by my housemate, not around 6:30 by me ;-()

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

Hey, Kobnach! Nice balance to your challenge. You're hitting all the bases.

Hang in there on getting over the jet lag. You're doing great with your veggies, caffeine, and chocolate!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

This evening I found myself really needing a pick-me-up. I'd already had 2 cups of green tea, so I opted for a Ghirardelli square (chocolate). That got me alert enough to make major inroads into the heap of snail mail which had accumulated while I was away.

But now I'm wondering whether my challenge needs adjusting. Which would do more harm to my health goals - a 3rd, late cup of green tea, or the up-to-4 chocolates I'm entitled to according to this challenge? Each chocolate has 70 calories, for a total of 280. They also have caffeine - that plus the sugar rush is what got me moving again. There's doubtless more caffeine in the tea, and in this case I only had 1 chocolate - but I'm wondering to what extent 4 chocolates in the evening would function to keep me awake beyond my intended bedtime., in comparison with 1 cup of green tea.

This is normally somewhat moot - I usually only consume 1 caffeinated tea to get myself started in the morning - needing 2 today was an effect of (a) going off tea restrictions while travelling and (B) residual exhaustion and jet lag. However, there are days when a 3rd cup of caffeinated tea in the evening seems prudent - usually when out late and driving home. In past challenges, I was limiting my average tea consumption, and could offset a 3 tea day with a 1 tea day - common on weekends, where I'd often drop to zero.

I'm now thinking I need a rules adjustment. Perhaps I should permit myself to trade unused chocolate capacity for an extra cup of tea? Or go back to limiting the average consumption, as in past challenges - except that I want to bring down the total, and making the past targeted average into a hard limit seemed a good way to do that. Perhaps I should give myself a hard limit of 3 caffeine units, each being either 1 tea or 2 chocolates, and a related hard limit of 4 chocolates. Put another way, if I forgo 2 chocolates, I'm allowed an extra cup of tea, but only once a day.

Any opinions on the relative health impacts of chocolate (with sweet fillings) and caffeinated (usually green) tea?

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

Did a web search re caffeine content:

According to http://www.cspinet.org/new/cafchart.htm :

Hershey's "special dark chocolate" bar has 20 mg caffeine in a 1.5 oz bar, i.e. 42.53 gm

Ghiradelli squares are 15 gm

The ones I eat are dark chocolate with a filling - figure a max of 20/3 mg per square. Call it 7 mg.

Green tea is 35-60 mg of caffeine per cup.

So I'd need at least 5 of my chocolates to equal the caffeine in one cup of green tea, probably a lot more.

What the tea wouldn't have is 70 calories per square, including 7 gm (28 calories, IIRC) of sugar. 

Also relevant: caffeine consumption is known to contribute to my IBS. Whereas my doc isn't especially concerned about sugar, though she did say that since the goal posts moved recently, one of my blood tests readings are on the wrong side of the worry-about-diabetes boundary. And although I'm not into calorie restriction, my weight has been slowly growing for several years now.

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

(Same) Main Quest: Stop Making Myself Sick

In particular, to improve my diet and fitness to the point where they aren't providing me with risk factors.

Missions:

1. Walking:

I've been maintaining an average of 7500 steps walked per day, as measured by a Fitbit Force, with a goal of increasing to 10,000 (a bit more each challenge). A week ago, the Fitbit Force went missing. I'm now using a Basis Band, which is known to record fewer steps for the same distance, due to intermittent episodes of recording nothing at all.

I'd like to have a goal of averaging at least 8000 Fitbit Force steps per day, but that's impractical. So the official goal is an average of 7000 Basis Band steps, until I find or replace the missing Fitbit Force, (This is, by the way, ambitious, and subject to revision. I've had days where the Basis Band recorded 30% fewer steps than the Fitbit Force. The all time worst was the day my left arm was attached to a body that walked 6530 steps and my right arm was attached to one that walked 11328 steps! I *think* if I'm attentive I can reset the Basis Band when it stops noticing my activity, and only have a 1000 step deficit. But I'm not sure.)

4 STA

2. Exercise:

Maintain strength exercises - 2 STR

Maintain stretches                  1 DEX

Trainer sessions                     1 CON

3. Food:

• Caffeine Control  (count % of days with 2 or fewer cups of caffeinated tea)   1 WIS
  • Chocolate Control (count % of days with 4 or fewer ghirardelli squares or equivalent) 1 CHA
  • Fruit and Vegetables (100% would be 5 servings of fruit/veg per day, averaged to make it achievable. 1 CON
4. Sleep

To bed by 12:30 AM every night before a work day (exemption (1) if I nap the day before; (2) bridge nights) 1 CON, 1 WIS

8 hours sleep every night (including any naps during the following day), except bridge nights: 1 CON, 1 WIS

That's 15 points.

Since I can't award partial points, I'll do something reasonable if I find I've earned 0.4 DEX and 0.6 CHA or some such - e.g. convert that to 1 CHA, 0 DEX. [Edit - I see other people with decimal stats, so

I guess I won't have to round down, and can give myself partial points after all.]

I know there are 4 missions; if people insist, I'll call getting enough sleep a "life quest".

I apologize for the boring and repetitive nature of this challenge. I'm jet lagged out of my gourd right now, and totally bereft of imagination, but wanting to get something up while I'm only 2 days late starting . ;-)

hi :) You have a great challenge ahead...but I would like to ask a few questions and clarify some things...cool?

1. These are very well balanced goals. How is your overall macro ratio? (% of protein, fat, carbs in your daily/weekly food) This is important because if you are eating very carb heavy, plus chocolate it can increase your insulin spikes which lead to needing the "pick me ups" and if thats the case, the tea is vastly more appropriate for caffeine (Im leaning towards that anyway bc if you had a high A1C or GTT--the tests they use to diagnose diabetes--then your diet can benefit from lower carbs in general)

2. Have you ever tested for sleep apnea? (common cause for being overtired often as well)

3. The important part of your challenge structure is the SMART goals, one more or less than the recommended is no big deal and you can assign points however you choose :) I don't do them at all myself.

4. What are you doing for strength training?

5. So you like the Fitbit Force? I really wanted one but they recalled them not to long ago, so I am waiting until they get that issue resolved before buying anything. I have no idea about how the Basis band works, but with a traditional pedometer, the sensitivity of the measurements are based on stride length and can be vastly inaccurate if its oversensitive or undersensitive, so it may be a similar problem??

6. What is your favorite vegetable?

7. Where did you travel to?

• Like 1

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

hi :) You have a great challenge ahead...but I would like to ask a few questions and clarify some things...cool?

1. These are very well balanced goals. How is your overall macro ratio? (% of protein, fat, carbs in your daily/weekly food) This is important because if you are eating very carb heavy, plus chocolate it can increase your insulin spikes which lead to needing the "pick me ups" and if thats the case, the tea is vastly more appropriate for caffeine (Im leaning towards that anyway bc if you had a high A1C or GTT--the tests they use to diagnose diabetes--then your diet can benefit from lower carbs in general)

2. Have you ever tested for sleep apnea? (common cause for being overtired often as well)

3. The important part of your challenge structure is the SMART goals, one more or less than the recommended is no big deal and you can assign points however you choose :) I don't do them at all myself.

4. What are you doing for strength training?

5. So you like the Fitbit Force? I really wanted one but they recalled them not to long ago, so I am waiting until they get that issue resolved before buying anything. I have no idea about how the Basis band works, but with a traditional pedometer, the sensitivity of the measurements are based on stride length and can be vastly inaccurate if its oversensitive or undersensitive, so it may be a similar problem??

6. What is your favorite vegetable?

7. Where did you travel to?

Hi Bekah,

1. I've no idea about my macronutrient ratios. I tend to eat out a lot, which leaves me with no detailed data on what I'm eating, making recording my input an exercise in frustration and guesswork. This wouldn't be an issue if I were doing my cooking, but as it is, I figure that I'm eating better this way than if I were nuking frozen dinners. *sigh*

So why not cook? Well, a combo of not especially enjoying it and tending to live at work, coming home "too tired" to cook. I wish someone in my household enjoyed cooking, but unfortunately no one does.

2. My dentist also suspects sleep apnea. He says the type of overbite I have often accompanies sleep apnea. I'll probably mention it to my doctor at my annual physical, but I don't think it's very likely. (My internal experience is that it takes me a long time to fall asleep, probably due to a night-working housemate who generally manages to trigger a canine bark fest when leaving - or worse yet finds herself running late and asks me for a ride. So instead of winding down, I'm being wound up. It seems to me I slept just fine on my trip, in a nice quiet bed and breakfast, in spite of family drama.)

4. My strength training list is pretty basic. Lateral raises, Bicep curls, and Floor presses, with dumbbells, 2 or 3 times a week. (2 if I have a trainer session.) (I hope I have the names of those right.) This lot pretty well completely targets arms - but I have chronic knee issues, so I prefer to do leg exercises when supervised ;-) At other times, I've been doing bodyweight curls and cobras and similar, but I see them more as core fitness than strength. Plus whatever my trainer comes up with in his more-or-less weekly session; that's generally when I do things like squats and lunges.

5. I love the Fitbit Force, but of course I'm one of the majority who didn't react to it. I do have a couple of things I'd like to improve - one is that it comes in 2 sizes, which for me are "too big" and "too small". (Technically there is overlap, but having the big one on maximum tightness is uncomfortable, and I think the small one would only fit on my less muscular wrist, at maximum looseness.)

My other issue is the clasp, which is finicky, hard to close, and if you don't get it quite right, it doesn't stay closed - presumably how I lost mine. Velcro would have been better, or a traditional watch strap.

But overall, I love it. It measures everything I care about, works reliably, syncs without action on my part, and comes with a reliable website that displays the kind of info. I care about. It was my second Fitbit - the other was the older clip-to-a-pocket model - and that time my only complaint was unreliable attachment, that ultimately resulted in losing it. (Do you sense a trend here?)

6. Favourite vegetable? Far too many choices, here, but probably any kind of greens - preferably a combination of greens with character and flavour, steamed or kind of fried up with meat juices/fat. 

7. Saint John NB Canada, to visit my Mom, who is elderly and unwell. A bit of a high stress visit, and a 4 hour time difference. But it was good to see her.

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

Once more I had a chocolate when I really wanted tea. Net result - didn't get my sugar fix from the dried apricots that would have been healthier, and didn't get rid of what appears to be a caffeine withdrawal headache. (Apparently after drinking way too much tea at my mom's, I require 2 when I wake up to control the addiction, and need to stay at that level for a few days before tapering off.)

All this because I expected to be out late, and wanted to leave room for a caffeinated tea before leaving for home, in case that seemed prudent for safety reasons.

I'm now (an hour or two later) drinking the tea and eating the apricots, even though the chocolate did get me awake enough to work on my planetary science MOOC, which has an assignment due tomorrow. Hopefully the tea will fix the headache. If not, I'll try real food, walking, and sleep, in that order.

More evidence that the hard limit on caffeine is dysfunctional. (FWIW, I had a herb tea before the chocolate, in case the issue was dehydration, and it didn't help.)

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

Phew! I kept it down to 2 caffeine tea and 2 chocolate, ate all my veggies (though a couple of servings were small-ish, notably the beans with my dinner, which was purchased rather than self-cooked), and did my stretches. I even slept 8 hours.

I'm now officially unjetlagged, and beginning to recover from caffeine overconsumption - wasn't desperate for caffeine when I woke up, and didn't desperately need two in a row yesterday. And best of all, at 8 PM last night I could tell I wasn't going to need to drink caffeinated tea to be fit to drive home, so had a nice cup of peppermint tea.

I am drinking caffeinated tea as my first cup this morning, rather than starting with herb tea, since I figured I'd have problems soon otherwise - but by my physical reaction, I should/could have waited and had my first caffeinated cup mid-morning.

Today's a strength training day, but not a work day, so should be easy. The difficult ones are the ones on work days ;-)

• Like 1

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

Partial fail today, and I'm going to let it go. It's the first day of a new job, and I got up earlier than normal, resulting in missing the 8 hour of sleep goal. Then I drank a total of 3 caffeinated beverages - 2 of them black tea. The new job lacks green and herb teas, and I was running around so much that I didn't get it together to get my own tea bags out of my bag. (I'd remembered to bring them, but that's not enough.) It's only 8:14 PM, but my bed is calling my name. I think I'll blow off my strength training, and possibly also both my evening stretches and my 5th fruit/veggie - had 2 with lunch, and 2 with dinner (though one of those was juice) and I'm completely non-hungry, so no point eating food I don't want and keeping myself awake ;-( 

I did manage my full 7000 steps without an evening walk - looks like it's 1000 steps or more to the commuter train in the morning, and some smaller number from train to office, then repeat that in the evening. With the dog walk, and normal moving around house and office, that's 7147 steps so far today. Looks like the job will be a big win for walking, especially once I get past first week tiredness and have time for evening walks.

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

Allow yourself to settle into the new routine before you start thinking you have failed.  You have a chance now to make pattern choices to integrate into your day that wont feel like insurmountable obstacles because you are just building this pattern.  YOU CAN DO ANYTHING!  *cheers you on* 

So glad you like your new job!

• Like 1

I love my new job, but this week's battle log is full of red entries - that's the colour I use when I miss my goals. It appears that I need to get to bed by 11 PM - and earlier would be better - to deal with my new schedule - and get 8 1/2 hours of sleep per night, to be at my best. I haven't managed that too well, and everything else follows. Tonight it's 7:43 PM and I'm holding myself together for another hour, to make sure my night working housemate gets up in time. Then I'm going to collapse, instead of making myself available as a backup driver in case she runs late. (Last night I drove her to her bus, which would have been fine *if* I'd immediately toppled into bed, but that didn't happen, and today I was having trouble concentrating even while at work. So just like Monday, it's going to be 4 veggies (not 5), and skipping all evening exercises - except this time I won't even manage my 7000 steps, in part because I was too late to walk the dog this AM, and in part because the basis band had a fit of non-recording. If I felt better, I'd take my typical 2200 step evening walk - not tonight however. I'm draggy physically as well as mentally.

In only vaguely fitness related news, this afternoon I took my office chair apart, and put it back together without arms. They weren't adjustable, and my elbows were just a bit too high, causing my shoulder to complain. And one of the many reasons why I like this place, is that my manager reacted by offering to help, rather than e.g. telling me not to destroy the furniture, or to let the appropriate specialist deal with it.  I love small companies for their flexibility. If a chair has ergonomic issues, the answer is to fix it - economically if possible, and my solution is way cheaper than a super adjustable chair, and just as effective. The hardest part was finding appropriate tools - at one point someone suggested I go to the hardware store, buy an appropriate hex key, and expense it - but then it turned out we already had a fairly complete set - good ones with lots of leverage.

On the amusingly negative side, since I've started on office anecdotes, it appears that all the keys for one of the washrooms have gone missing, except for the copy one of my coworkers made and stuck on his personal keyring. That washroom is locked because it's outside of the workspace, and keys to it are supposed to be hung by the door from our work area to the hallway. The office factotum has been tasked with making a lot more keys. The plan was to attach them to something too big to fit in anyone's pocket - though one of the missing ones was already attached to something the size of a 1 foot ruler - until someone made a counter suggestion, of attaching them to surplus pagers, so we can page the missing keys and locate them by the sound. This is, of course, what happens when you put a bunch of engineering geeks into a small company and let us follow our natural instincts.

• Like 2

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

I hear ya on the caffeine/choc control. To me they're the same thing of boosting energy temporarily. The sooner off of the junk, the better.

I didn't follow the battlelog. Did you put down what foods your eating there to hit the 5 fruit/veg target? Because I use raisins and cashews in ziploc bags as go-to snacks if I'm running late or feel like I need something. Also- food dehydraters can help make snacking foods too.  If it feels like a treat instead of a requirement; I'm more apt to actually have it.

So what happens if someone took the pager off the key?

I hear ya on the caffeine/choc control. To me they're the same thing of boosting energy temporarily. The sooner off of the junk, the better.

I didn't follow the battlelog. Did you put down what foods your eating there to hit the 5 fruit/veg target? Because I use raisins and cashews in ziploc bags as go-to snacks if I'm running late or feel like I need something. Also- food dehydraters can help make snacking foods too.  If it feels like a treat instead of a requirement; I'm more apt to actually have it.

So what happens if someone took the pager off the key?

I'm just recording categories of fruits/veg consumed. It's kind of cheating when it's all juice (no fiber) or all carb (bananas, root vegs, etc.), so I'm looking for bad patterns, but not ready to crack down on that kind of semi-cheating. And for ordinary veggies, like broccoli or similar, I distinguish between fresh and unknown/frozen/tinned (I call those "other veg"); again my long term goal would be to be eating food that wasn't preserved, except maybe dried fruits.

As for the keys, well, no one's malicious, just disorganized. So provided they are firmly attached, it shouldn't be a problem. And today all 3 missing keys reappeared, along with the new keys. (Melanie didn't attach the pagers in the end - the keys are on giant safety pins instead, in various cheerful colours. I guess pagers will be the next thing tried, if the 9 or 10 we have now all migrate into pockets, desks, etc.) Personally I think I'm going to purloin one at lunch, and take it to the nearest hardware store; a copy on my keychain would keep me from being the next one who loses a key.

The job's being pretty good about fruit. Yesterday they had blueberries, strawberries, pears, apples, and those little oranges that are easy to peel. This compensates for being a bit inadequate about veggies with the meals they order in. (Lunch and dinner today, except they called dinner "happy hour" and served champagne and beer with it ;-) Startups are so much fun, even if I did wind up going back to work afterwards.

• Like 1

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

Just a thought with the vegie consumption issue and the not having time to cook - invest in a crockpot/ slow cooker. Make casseroles with meat/legumes and a ton of veg, it can cook while you sleep. One less thing to worry about.

• Like 1

HappyCat

Race: Khajit Herder Class: Adventurer

HappyCat's Battle Log

Current Challenge: HappyCat Takes It Up A Notch 

Past Challenges: 1 2   

Accountablilibuddies:  Walking to Mordor and Back Again

Where else to find me: My Fitness Pal  Fitbit Habitica

My life is basically a whole pile of 'It seemed like a good idea at the time' thrown together

Summary of week 2: rough week, but pretty decent under the circumstances. Clearly need some changes to the challenge to accommodate the new reality.

Changes:

1) Yoga's an option for mission 2 "exercise".

2) I need to be in bed by 11 PM (10 PM would be better), not 12:30 AM.

Results:

1) Walking - I may have averaged 7K steps per day, in spite of Thursday; it's close either way.

2) Exercise.  No trainer, only 1 strength session, missed *3* of 7 days of stretches.  But added 1 yoga. Biggest problem here.

3) Food. 4 days -1 veg. 2 days +1 caffeine. If I combine caffeine + chocolate, always within bounds. Net loss - 3 veg. Huge improvement over previous challenge, when the target was 3/day. But didn't hit the target.

4) Sleep. 3 days with too little sleep. Tired all week. Presently up late writing this - but napped this afternoon, so should be OK. Acceptable given the schedule change. But not great. And I'm probably not yet ready to handle Tuesday night bridge. *sigh*

To bed with me now.

• Like 2

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

I second Beaucastle. Give yourself a little transition slack and then tighten it up over the course of the challenge as things settle down. You are doing great given all that's going on! Make your challenge work for you, not against you. You'll get there!

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

No one goes from 0 to 60.  You're building LIFE habits.  It will take longer than a week or two to solidify them. 

I second the crockpot idea. I also do batch cookings each week. Make 95% of what I'm going to eat ahead of time- no chance to mess up.

20140417_184502_zpsirgacrxy.jpg

• Like 4

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines