• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FaePrice

FaePrice falls in Love With Fitness!

Main Quest:  To fall head over heels with fitness.  I want working out to become my blissfully energizing, guilty pleasure!

How I am going to get there:

1. Start doing it!  Building momentum is a very important part of achieving this goal. 
  2. Figure out what the right conditions are to make working out successful for me (scheduling, location, priority level, alone or with others, time of day, etc.)
  3. Clear out all the mental and emotional blockages have made me unsuccessful until now.

Side Quests:

1. Create a reward system and diet scale (a 1-10 scale) that I like and motivates me to work toward success with eating and exercise.
  2. Go through the FlyLady system and successfully establish routines, declutter, etc.

My motivation is thinking about how wonderful it feels to be in love, and to imagine feeling that way about exercise.  I have felt this on and off before, but I think I have had a lot of mental and emotional stuff block me.  I adored fitness when I was a kid, and I'm positive I can get there again, where just thinking about working out makes me feel giddy and excited!!!

Specific Nerd Fitness Challenge Progress Measurements:

Grading Scale (For each week):

Start moving!:

A:   4+ hours of exercise

B:  3+ hours of exercise

C:  2+ hours of exercise

D:  1+ hours of exercise

F:    <1 hours of exercise

Create Correct Conditions!:

Week 1:  Start a log of my thoughts and feelings about exercising, how it actually was, how it was after, etc.

Week 2:  Continue log and make a list of factors that make it easier for me to work out, and things that make it harder.

Week 3:  What time of day works best for me?  What and when should I eat/drink before or after?

Week 4:  Figure out ideal scheduling and prioritizing for regular exercise.

Week 5:  Do I like to exercise alone or with others?  Or both?

Week 6:  Final wrap-up.  Is everything in place and running smoothly, or are there any final kinks to work out?

Get My Head & Heart on Straight!:

Week 1:  Take an Inventory of all of my thoughts and feelings this week about fitness.

Week 2:  Delve into the resistances & resentments.

Week 3:  Delve into the anxieties and fears

Week 4:  Delve into the ignorance and confusion.

Week 5:  Work on empowering my thoughts and feelings on exercise, and get majorly inspired!!!

Week 6:  Final wrap-up.  Is everything in place and running smoothly, or are there any final kinks to work out?

Reward Myself!:

Week 1: Find a reward sheet I like and print several copies.  Make a list of rewards.  Start!

Week 2: Keep track of my progress all week and take notes on my feelings about the rewards, goals, etc.

Week 3: Make necessary changes and keep using the reward sheet.

Week 4:  Update the rewards and find a way to put the sheet on my phone instead of on paper.

Week 5:  Keep researching and see if I like another way better, such as an app, or different goal structure.

Learn to FLY!:

Week 1: Start babysteps!

Week 2: Finish babysteps!

Week 3: Figure out zones for my house.

Week 4:  Figure out daily structure, and the other personalized stuff for my house, family, and life.

Week 5:  Have zones, my CJ, the daily routines, and my personalized stuff.

Welcome back!  I've been wondering how things were going for you over the last few months. I guessed that you were busy with going back to school.

You have a great plan for this challenge. Teri has also been talking about Flylady routines. I am going to steal pieces of that to get my house cleaned up too. I look forward to seeing you here again.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  I missed all y'all!!!  Flying is from Flylady.net.  Awesome site about learning to do things in baby steps and stop being a perfectionist and become able to keep your house clean!!!  I've been BUSY and crazy, but getting better all the time.  Now exercise is one of the only missing pieces in my balanced life equation.  So here I am!  For exercises, I love bike riding, walking, and trying to start loving strength training.  I'm trying to overcome shyness and use my gym membership too!  But I'll count pretty much anything as exercise. :)  Glad to be back.  Good luck to you guys too!

Week 1 update:

30 minutes warm up and attempt to strength train (and fail, but I tried!!!) thursday

30 min walk friday

40 min walk saturday

1 hour walk sunday

+ lots and lots of packing, cleaning, and decluttering for a move next weekend.  I'm not counting the time, but certainly the effort!!!

30 min walk monday

I started keeping the log and jotted down some ideas.

I got to babystep number 24 on FlyLady (swish and swipe)

I completed the reward sheet steps for this week.

I talked to a friend of mine I've had for almost 20 years who recently lost 100 pounds and got her advice and input

I listed most of the negative voices in my head, and plan to turn them around into positives!

So I still have left:

-Make the inventory

-50 min more exercise

-Log about actually doing exercise, the gym, etc.

-Keep track of my rewards/exercise, log etc.

-Finish week 1 and revise this update so I can catch up to week 2!

Again, I'm glad to be here with you guys!!!

Good luck with the move.  That's never fun.  You did indeed get a lot done this week.  Again, it's nice to see you back :-)

• Like 1

Great start to the challenge! I'm sure you will get pleny of exercise including lifting heavy things during the move. I hope it goes smoothly.

• Like 1

Exciting design and I adore the fact that you acknowledge that falling in love and keeping the love may take some energy and hard work!

Trying and failing is a lot better than not trying at all!

Am now going to explore this Flylady that everyone keeps talking about...

• Like 1

Week 1 Final Grades:

Start moving!:

M/14 30 minutes walking

W/16 30 minutes walking

R/17  30 minutes walking, 30 minutes NF Academy warm-up, attempted BBW exercises

F/18  30 minutes walking

S/19  1 hour walking

U/20  40 minutes walking

Total:  4 hours, 10 minutes exercise

A:  Start a log of my thoughts and feelings about exercising, how it actually was, how it was after, etc.

A: Take an Inventory of all of my thoughts and feelings this week about fitness.

Reward Myself!:

A:  Find a reward sheet I like and print several copies.  Make a list of rewards.  Start!

Learn to FLY!:

A:  Start babysteps!

Alright!  I completed everything for week one with straight A's.  I'm on a roll!  Now for week 2... Playing a bit of catch up here.

Week 2 Update:

Start moving!:

M/21 30 minutes walking

T/22  30 minutes walking

W/23 30 minutes walking, 8 hours packing & moving!!!

R/24  15 minutes walking, 2.5 hours packing & moving

F/25  30 minutes walking

S/26  8 hours moving & packing

U/27  5 hours moving & packing

A:  Week 2:  Continue log and make a list of factors that make it easier for me to work out, and things that make it harder.

A:  Week 2:  Delve into the resistances & resentments.

Reward Myself!:

A:  Week 2: Keep track of my progress all week and take notes on my feelings about the rewards, goals, etc.

Learn to FLY!:

A:  Week 2: Finish babysteps!

Another perfect score!!!  Love being here. :D

What makes it easier to exercise?

-Having clothes & bag ready with everything I need, including a water bottle.

-A gym membership.

-Walking & biking to commute when possible.

-Scheduling it in my phone.

-Having my bike tires filled up and the bike accesible with helmet in basket.

-Making appointments to exercise with friends and calendering them.

-Turning hangouts and get-togethers into more active events.

-Playing with the kids, cleaning, or doing other multi-tasking ideas of things I already need to do as exercise.

-Just getting started!

-Just putting on the clothes or shoes or trying, even if I end up stopping.

-Doing something really fun.

-Doing something I want to do while exercising, like listen to great music, watch a favorite show, etc.

-Rewarding myself.

-Having the right clothes, shoes, bra, etc. that fits and I feel confident in.

-Having a partner who likes to exercise.

-Living in a place with great paths, gym ,etc.

-Not thinking about it.  Just plunging into it.

-Strapping on a headset and going for a walk during a long phone call.

What makes it harder?

-Allowing myself to make excuses, justify, worry, etc.

-Not getting started

-Always prioritizing other things over exercise

-Thinking it has to be a certain way, duration, frequency, etc. or it doesn't count.

-Feeling shy and embarrassed that I look stupid, am doing it weird or wrong, I could be critisized, etc.

-Being really, really busy and having a lot of responsibilities.

-Not knowing how to prioritize my time to fit in exercise and still get homework done etc.

-Eating bad food that makes me tired and makes exercise really difficult

-Being out of shape and having to start at the very begining.

How do I feel about the reward sheet so far?

-I like it!  It's a little confusing, because when I earn them, I don't feel like I deserve to actually buy them for myself, so I haven't.  I also didn't realize it meant saying no to myself when I haven't earned them yet.  That is interesting to start doing.  I don't know yet what the appropriate difficulty/reward is.  But it's okay.  I can just try some different things out and I think it will teach me some things and be fun.  I definitely should actually follow through with my rewards though.  I am having fun doing it.  The details should come in time.  :)  I am worried I will spend too much money on myself if I'm good at earning my rewards.  But in reality, having to exercise self-control by saying no to myself UNTIL I've earned them will save me money.  I think this is going to be a good process!

What do I resent and resist about exercise?  (Some of these are just random negative thoughts about exercise)

-I will always be fat and out of shape no matter what, so what is the point?  I've tried and tried and never gotten anywhere.  This doesn't work for me.

-This is unbearable.  I'm so hot/tired/uncomfortable/embarrased/shy etc.

-I don't want to!

-I work so hard and I just finally have some free time.  You want me to spend it doing something miserable, and then having no time to just relax and be?!!

-I don't have the right supplies/clothes, etc. 

-I look awful.  I'm so embarrasing. I cannot work out in public.

-I'm not willing to drop the ball on school, housework, family, etc. for this.

-It makes me feel pathetic, weak, fat, out-of-control, not myself, and horrible about myself when I try to exercise and see how out of shape I really I.

Other thoughts so far on the exercise inventory:

-Neutral feelings

-Excited to get started!

-Hope that this time it will work, with the rewards system, awesome NF friends, baby steps, etc.

-Maybe I'm finally READY, and so it will actually work.

-I had a conversation with a friend of mine who lost over 100 pounds so far.  She has ALWAYS been the fat lady, and she is really changing.  It's been a year since she started, and now she is the member of the month at her YMCA.  Talking to her was inpiring and cool!  She said things like "A mile is a mile, no matter how fast you go."  and all sorts of other cool stuff.  So finding inspiration is a good idea.

-When I actually do work out I feel so great!!!  I feel elated, successful, proud of myself, happy, my body feels more comfortable, I have MORE energy, I feel charged up to do my other responsibilites, and not to just collapse and rest.  It relieves my stress and gives me good endorphins.  It feels addictive!  But how do I get this feeling to start being prominent, over all of these negative ones??!!!

-I love walking, especially with friends and family.

-I adore biking through the park on my own.  I feel like it's stolen time, I can fly, and its my own private paradise.  What could be better!?

For the record, completing these questions was on my reward chart, and I just worked really hard to get it done so that I could earn the reward!!!  See, it's working.  :) 

I do still wonder about how to prioritize, etc.  I hope I figure it out as I go along.

Week 3 Update:

Start moving!:
(A:   4+ hours of exercise)

M/28  30 minutes walking
T/29   1 hr 15 min cleaning
          30 minutes unpacking
W/30  30 minutes walking
R/1     1 hour cleaning
           15 minutes walking
F/2     1 hr 15 minutes walking
S/3     2 hrs cleaning
          2 hours unpacking
U/4    15 minutes walking

A:  Week 3:  What time of day works best for me?  What and when should I eat/drink before or after?

I wrote about this and it got deleted.  I'm not writing it again.  Basically it was after lunch, not after a meal, and whenever possible, especially when I can combine it with another activitiy of my life, such as commuting, cleaning, playing with kids, hanging with friends, etc.  And I have to experiment some to know more.

A:  Week 3:  Delve into the anxieties and fears

I think I really covered this already with the last writing.  Its mostly looking stupid, not wanting to fail, being embarrased for many reasons, worrying I could hurt my joints and muscles with exercise, and not knowing what to do.

Reward Myself!:
A:  Week 3: Make necessary changes and keep using the reward sheet.

Learn to FLY!:
A:  Week 3: Figure out zones for my house.

Week 3 Work:

What time of day works best for me? 

What and when should I eat/drink before or after?

Delve into the anxieties and fears

Reward sheet notes

Figure out zones for my house.

I can see how the reward sheet would be a little wonky at this point. A lot of your goals are set around 'low hanging fruit,' and were possibly (probably) easily earned. It can be difficult for the reward to mean much if much was not sacrificed in attaining it.

Anyway, getting all of this stuff figured out and onto paper as opposed to staying in your headspace is awesome. Just as long as you do something with it, hm?

You are very good at self-analysis, aren't you?  Now that you know all the things that work for and against you, you'll likely find it easier to ensure that you have the best possible conditions to work with.

I very much enjoyed reading your reflections and of course recognized many of them. Thank you for sharing them with us. I am also sure that this is / will be a big help to you.

Rewarding yourself? Of course you should!

Week 4:

Start moving!:

C:  I don't know.  I lost track.  I think I did good, but don't have numbers.

D:  Week 4:  Figure out ideal scheduling and prioritizing for regular exercise.  I didn't really do this, but I did try some different things out and I think that 1st thing in the morning, or as a part of my life work best for me.  Also, I haven't started scheduling it, but I love the idea.

B:  Week 4:  Delve into the ignorance and confusion.  This is an easy one.  When I feel this way I just need to do SOMETHING, and then afterwards do more learning about diet and exercise to clear out the ignorance and confusion.  It's not an excuse or reason to not exercise, its something to be dealt with along the way, after workouts of some kind happen, and while I'm doing my best with what  do know.

Reward Myself!:

C:  Week 4:  Update the rewards and find a way to put the sheet on my phone instead of on paper.  The reward system is fantastic.  I'm using it very consitsntly and put the rewards I have earned on my phone, but not the things I'm working on, list of favorite rewards, etc.  That is still on paper.

Learn to FLY!:

A:  Week 4:  Figure out daily structure, and the other personalized stuff for my house, family, and life.

Done.  C average for this week.