Chin-Up Question

Hey Everybody,

When you started doing chin/pull-ups, did you have enough strength to do more than a few a day? I've recently started to do chin-ups, and finally got my neck to touch the bar a week ago from a full dead hang. I can do about three a day, but after that, it's a big struggle, even with plenty of rest between each. Is that normal?

Also, my wrist/hand is in huge pain when I do chins now. It only really has been hurting the past two days, and it only really hurts when I let go of the bar. Has this happened to anybody? I figured my wrist couldn't take all the strain I've been suddenly putting on it, so I'm taking a few days off (especially since I've been doing Grease The Groove for everything, and I've been doing a lot for the past 3 or 4 days).

I really appreciate it. :)

Guest tparker

As long as you can do some, you'll be able to work on it.

If you know you can do three, do pyramid sets.

1 chin-up, 10 push ups - 2 chin-ups, 15 push ups - 3 chin-ups, 20 push ups

And then go back down to one, give yourself plenty of rest in between. It still will be a struggle, but you will get better over time.

As for the wrist, haven't had too many problems, although my guess would be your forearm strength is not developed enough to be handling the grip yet, adding undue stress to the joints. Give yourself sometime and try again, if it persists for too long though, definitely see a doctor.

Guest tparker

While I'm thinking, once you get up, utilize negative, go down as slow as possible. Then also, if a friend could hold your feet, to get 2-3 more at once, it'd work even better. As stated though, it's just time.

Negative sets are an awesome idea. Honestly if you can already do a few that's most of the work done already.

I've never had pain in my wrist after chinups but it's pretty understandable. A pair of lifting gloves with wrist straps has been *really* helpful to me in the past, though, when I've had pain there from other lifts.

Is the pain in both your wrists or just one?

The pain was in just the left one. I backed off for a few days though and did HIIT instead. Two days ago, I started doing neutral chin-ups as a refresher. I tried doing a chin-up today, and my head just seemed to spring over the bar.

It was definitely from lack of rest.