Any Opinions on the Bulletproof Diet?

Pathfinder

I ran into this when Barfly suggested Bulletproof coffee... and then I realized there was an entire diet. Has anyone tried this? What do you guys think?

*Warning - to get the info-graphic you have to enter your email. However, you can unsubscribe immediately if you're curious. :)

"The woods are the only place I can see a clear path."

Pathfinder, Nord (Adventurer)

Measurements: 163 lbs (N 13.625, C 39, W 37.5, H 40, RB 12.75, LB 12.75, RT 20.5, LT 21, RC 13.5, LC 13.25)

BMR: 1562.5 Kcal

Challenge Level/Stats: Level 0 (STR-0) (DEX-0) (STA-0) (CON-0) (WIS-0) (CHA-0)

Rebel Levels: Level 3 (EQ 1)

Academy Levels: Adventurer/Level 1 (Nutrition - 1) (Caffeine - 1) (Sugar - 1)

Challenges: #1

It actually looks a lot like the NF Academy eating plan - which doesn't look available for free. 

I'm working at making a lot of the changes he suggests.  I'd have to look carefully to see how much Whole30 and the Bulletproof Diet align.  But basically, anything to get you away from refined foods (especially sugars!!!) and towards eating minimally processed foods (the more you handle the processing, the better) is probably good.  Provided you aren't pregnant or have food allergies or are ill, of course. 

Make gradual changes and see how you feel!

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

I guess the big difference I see is that it has coffee-assisted intermittent fast days, and lots of coffee in general. I don't think this is kosher under the Whole30 or Paleo. Admittedly, I haven't seen the Nerd Fitness Academy diet. I'm a cheapskate. ;b

• Like 1

Measurements: 163 lbs (N 13.625, C 39, W 37.5, H 40, RB 12.75, LB 12.75, RT 20.5, LT 21, RC 13.5, LC 13.25)

I hadn't read too closely.  The assisted fasting sounds .... odd.  I'm not big into Whole30 - so I can't really comment on that, but caffeine in general should be used in moderation.  

And coffee is WAY processed.  Looks like opinions are mixed about whether or not it is paleo.  It's down far on my list of things to cut out of my diet, but I have already started phasing it out.  

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

I guess I'll keep researching. It just seems like a lot of coffee to use - especially since coffee is an addicting substance.

I use tea instead of coffee, a good spiced or sweetish tea works well as a replacement

On the bulletproof diet?

I guess the big difference I see is that it has coffee-assisted intermittent fast days, and lots of coffee in general. I don't think this is kosher under the Whole30 or Paleo. Admittedly, I haven't seen the Nerd Fitness Academy diet. I'm a cheapskate. ;b

That sounds like an awesome way to get the shakes. 

Race: Ferret | Class: Assassin | Level: 4 | STR: 6  DEX: 3  STA: 1  CON: 5  WIS: 7  CHA: 3

Battle Log | Challenges: 1, 2, 3

Well, the fat in the coffee does take the shakes away (for me at least).

And according to his webpage, if you buy HIS coffee it won't give you any shakes at all because it is toxin free. That one I haven't tried yet, because paying 30$ for a pack of coffee seems pretty senseless to me. ^^

• Like 1

A Hobbit who wants to become an Elf - Scout - Level 3
STR: 2,75 | DEX: 4 | CON: 5,5 | STA: 2,5 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 2,75
The journey of Tinessael 1

The journey of Tinessael 2

Tinessael's Challenge (ongoing)

And according to his webpage, if you buy HIS coffee it won't give you any shakes at all because it is toxin free. That one I haven't tried yet, because paying 30$ for a pack of coffee seems pretty senseless to me. ^^

Whenever something starts talking about mysterious "toxins", it makes me much less likely to believe anything else they say.

"None of us can choose to be perfect, but all of us can choose to be better." - Lou Schuler, New Rules of Lifting for Women

Think it would be a matter of how sensitive you are to caffeine...

T'is true. On the other hand, I don't think I'm particularly sensitive, but caffeine on an empty stomach, combined with any degree of activity (even walking) will give me the shakes. 

Well, the fat in the coffee does take the shakes away (for me at least).

Oh, right. It's not the caffeine, it's the "toxins". Those bogeymen of the health world. 

Race: Ferret | Class: Assassin | Level: 4 | STR: 6  DEX: 3  STA: 1  CON: 5  WIS: 7  CHA: 3

Battle Log | Challenges: 1, 2, 3

I call bull whenever a proposed diet says "you don't need to limit calories."  And if you are fasting and consuming dietary fat, you are not fasting.  Fasting is fasting, eating is eating.  And on the page where he references all these studies, he claims that "Best of all, science shows conclusively (see bottom of page) that the best diet tastes good and is satisfying."  I read some of the studies he is referencing, they do anything but. 

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with this diet, or any other diet.  But that page is full of misinformation and misleading claims.  There is no miracle diet, there are no magic pills. 

I'm sorry.  I am just bothered by this sort of thing.  The bit about the calories is what really bothers me.  If you eat in a surplus you will gain weight.  If your diet is fat based, and you are eating more than you need, that weight will be fat.  This would bother me much less if he wasn't selling something.

No it wouldn't.

• Like 1

Thanks. First I was like, this seems cool...

And then I was like, this seems fishy. Let's run it past the Rebellion first.

I didn't look at the whole diet , but I do have some thoughts on fasted training and caffeine.

Anecdotally, caffeine supposedly helps give you more oomph in workouts, but most of the research as it pertains to resistance training, especially high intensity resistance training, isn't really all that conclusive.

This one says it's minimal but significant for lower body but not upper.   http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Abstract/2011/06000/Minimal_Effect_of_Acute_Caffeine_Ingestion_on.37.aspx 

This one says it was significant for women doing the bench press:  http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1550-2783-7-18.pdf

This one says it's a placebo effect: http://web.a.ebscohost.com/abstract?direct=true&profile=ehost&scope=site&authtype=crawler&jrnl=15550265&AN=43171155&h=l6HIMPP5tVmxZwHiBOw7ea44gkHq9ZCacC7h7clw%2bD%2fFRzQW78QHfkAKojbYxlxUCNhgClDdDdcyhJg5NbCACg%3d%3d&crl=c

And finally, this one is a review of multiple studies. Basically, it says sometimes caffeine helps, but sometimes it hurts: http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Abstract/2010/01000/Efficacy_of_Acute_Caffeine_Ingestion_for.38.aspx

So it's mixed as to whether it will help you lift more, but it probably won't unless you really believe it will. What it does do is mobilize free fatty acids (FFA). These is particularly useful when training fasted. It's useful to know that the body uses glucose for all its energy needs.  It will preferentially use glucose from carbs (because it doesn't have to make something into glucose). If no carbs are present, it will use other pathways.  One of those alternate pathways is gluconeogenesis.  Gluconeogenesis is the process by which fatty acids and proteins are turned into glucose. Any training creates stress on the body, releasing cortisol. Cortisol is a delightful little hormone that has a huge variety of effects, but for our purposes, it causes more gluconeogenesis to occur. Training on an empty stomach means the body doesn't have access to fresh blood glucose, so it's reliant on glycogen stores and gluconeogenesis.

To tie it all together, if you train fasted, you release cortisol, which increases the rate at which you burn fat.  Caffeine helps mobilize the FFA in the blood. This is one mechanism that fasted training can assist with fat loss, but there are other reasons it can assist with muscle gain. Leangains is the place to go for that, and the author, Martin Berkhan, always cites his sources.  It's a fantastic resource.

http://www.leangains.com/2009/12/fasted-training-boosts-muscle-growth.html

Also, coffee and fasting go hand in hand because it is a hunger suppressant.  That's another reason intermittent fasters like it so much. With regards to the Bulletproof Coffee, Joe Rogan tested the stuff, which supposedly has no mycotoxins in it (those are the toxins bulletproof coffee guy is so adamantly against), and found that it had plenty of mycotoxins.  So, take that for what's it worth. 

Sorry for the word vomit, I hope this was at least somewhat useful.  I love coffee and felt the need to come to its aid. :)

• Like 1

I didn't look at the whole diet , but I do have some thoughts on fasted training and caffeine.

Anecdotally, caffeine supposedly helps give you more oomph in workouts, but most of the research as it pertains to resistance training, especially high intensity resistance training, isn't really all that conclusive.

This one says it's minimal but significant for lower body but not upper.   http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Abstract/2011/06000/Minimal_Effect_of_Acute_Caffeine_Ingestion_on.37.aspx 

This one says it was significant for women doing the bench press:  http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1550-2783-7-18.pdf

This one says it's a placebo effect: http://web.a.ebscohost.com/abstract?direct=true&profile=ehost&scope=site&authtype=crawler&jrnl=15550265&AN=43171155&h=l6HIMPP5tVmxZwHiBOw7ea44gkHq9ZCacC7h7clw%2bD%2fFRzQW78QHfkAKojbYxlxUCNhgClDdDdcyhJg5NbCACg%3d%3d&crl=c

And finally, this one is a review of multiple studies. Basically, it says sometimes caffeine helps, but sometimes it hurts: http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Abstract/2010/01000/Efficacy_of_Acute_Caffeine_Ingestion_for.38.aspx

So it's mixed as to whether it will help you lift more, but it probably won't unless you really believe it will. What it does do is mobilize free fatty acids (FFA). These is particularly useful when training fasted. It's useful to know that the body uses glucose for all its energy needs.  It will preferentially use glucose from carbs (because it doesn't have to make something into glucose). If no carbs are present, it will use other pathways.  One of those alternate pathways is gluconeogenesis.  Gluconeogenesis is the process by which fatty acids and proteins are turned into glucose. Any training creates stress on the body, releasing cortisol. Cortisol is a delightful little hormone that has a huge variety of effects, but for our purposes, it causes more gluconeogenesis to occur. Training on an empty stomach means the body doesn't have access to fresh blood glucose, so it's reliant on glycogen stores and gluconeogenesis.

To tie it all together, if you train fasted, you release cortisol, which increases the rate at which you burn fat.  Caffeine helps mobilize the FFA in the blood. This is one mechanism that fasted training can assist with fat loss, but there are other reasons it can assist with muscle gain. Leangains is the place to go for that, and the author, Martin Berkhan, always cites his sources.  It's a fantastic resource.

http://www.leangains.com/2009/12/fasted-training-boosts-muscle-growth.html

Also, coffee and fasting go hand in hand because it is a hunger suppressant.  That's another reason intermittent fasters like it so much. With regards to the Bulletproof Coffee, Joe Rogan tested the stuff, which supposedly has no mycotoxins in it (those are the toxins bulletproof coffee guy is so adamantly against), and found that it had plenty of mycotoxins.  So, take that for what's it worth. 

Sorry for the word vomit, I hope this was at least somewhat useful.  I love coffee and felt the need to come to its aid. :)

This. Is. Brilliant. Thank you for all of then information! *Runs to check out leangains.com*

When I hear "toxins" and special coffee available here for just £€$, I get suspicious.  But the coffee.. I'm intrigued.  

(protip: places like GNC usually have 200mg caffeine pills so you can test your tolerance the fun way. Shakes and nausea are common caffeine side effects and there's no mystical toxins in pure caff).

I will tell you my experience, but I think diet is a very personal, individualized matter. So you will need to try things yourself to know how your body responds.

I have been drinking the coffee since December 2013. I drink it with the butter (ghee) and the MTC oil. During the weekday I do not eat breakfast, my large cup of BP coffee keeps me going until lunch when I eat a salad or soup. I have BP cocoa when I get home and eat a protein and LOTS of veggies. I use the BP diet as a guide for food choices. I love the oil and butter and I rarely have headaches, but if I don't have my coffee I get severe headaches that clear up when I drink some coffee.

In recent years I have been getting outbreaks of adult rosacea on my cheeks. Red cheeks and what looks like acne. One moment people would compliment me on what great skin I had then all of a sudden I would break out. Following the Bulletproof guidelines has helped me figure out what I am reacting to.  One day I noted that my skin was clear, then I had three macadamia nuts and started to break out on my cheeks. Then I started to notice when I would eat cream soups or tea with cream I had a terrible burning sensation all down my throat. Now when I eat certain foods I can feel a reaction or I will look in the mirror and find I am red and starting to break out. 

I was having issues before drinking the coffee but I think now when I eat certain foods (and I am still trying to figure out what I can safely eat) I can identify them and I am more aware of the reactions. I had to get an epi pen and get bloodwork done and much more aware of my diet.

I had a bunch of things I used to enjoy but now my body reacts so much, it is not worth it to eat it. Ice cream birthday cake, horrible burning down my throat, never want to eat it again! 

I'm following the diet since the past year, and I really liking it a lot!. It's Basically: Bulletproof Coffee in the morning, and next... 70% veggies, 30% Protein, and carbs at night (eating between 2 pm, at 8 pm)

I don't follow it strictly, but that's because I workout a lot. But in factor besides fitness, it's great:
- The bulletproof coffee in the morning, it's ideal to do some focused work at the morning
- The carbs at night, will help to sleep better.
- Fats are like neutral food. They control the urges of eating.

Also, there it's a roadmap that explains better how it's the diet: https://linainchange.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/bpdrm.gif

Hawkhack the Ranger
"Bits and Pounds for the win!"

My personal website: http://www.acifuentes.cl
My NF Character: https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/62088

Battle Log: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/78158-hawkhack-action-log/