Quilaho's L1 Challenge

Main Quest - Fit into a size 36 pant

Missions

1. SL 5x5 3 times per week
  2. Cardio 3 times per week
  3. Eliminate bread from my diet.

Motivation

My motivation for more healthy living has always been my sons. My eldest is now 11 years old and want's to go snowboarding. The last time I went snowboarding, my back hurt for a month because I landed my fat belly on it to many times.

So, am I going to be the dad that hits the slopes with my kid or am I going to send him off with someone elses? I will be that dad.

Comments

This main quest probably a year. I'm 260 lbs at the time of this writing and very little would be muscle mass. That means I have 80 - 90 lbs of fat to loose.

I fear a size 36 is a very aggressive goal but I really wanted to say 34. I'm currently wearing a 44.

• Like 2

Challenges: Current:Quilaho's L1 Challenge

Battle Log:Q's Warrior Path

BodySpace | MyFitnessPal

LinkedIn | TwitterFacebook

Please send me a message here at NF if you are going to send a request

I picked a guild ... Ranger. It came down to a hard choice between Rangers and Warriors. While my number one focus right now will be strength through heavy lifting, I can't ignore the compulsion to hit as many cycle group classes and interval workouts as I can. So, Ranger it is.

I'd like to point out that I altered items (2) and (3) of my missions. Generalizing to cardio workouts (it used to specify cycle group) on (2) allows me to insert what I feel I can handle around the SL5x5 workouts. Additionally, my previous statement on breads for (3) was too general making it unmeasurable. I don't know that I can actually eliminate breads but it's a worthy goal and certainly measurable.

Next, I need to look into these accountability groups / teams. Does anyone have any suggestions along these lines?

BodySpace | MyFitnessPal

Happy Easter Everyone!

This will be my training schedule for the remainder of the challenge:

Monday

• 5:30 AM SL5x5  
  • 6:15 AM Cardio

Tuesday - Rest

Wednesday

• 4:30 PM Cycle Group With Tammy (aka Little Miss Evil)

Thursday - Rest  

Friday

• 6:15 AM Cardio  

Saturday Cardio (Optional / Makeup)

Sunday - Rest

• Like 1

BodySpace | MyFitnessPal

Sunday Measurements

I'm going to do my measurements every Sunday. I figure my training routine runs Mon-Sun so I may as well measure up at the end.

So, here goes. These are my challenge start measurements:

• Waist - 48
  • Hips - 44
  • Chest - 48.75
  • Arms - 14.5
  • Thighs - 26.75
  • Calves - 16.75
  • Neck - 18.5
  • Body fat - 29.1
  • Weight - 259.8

Picture (Warning: Note weight above before viewing!)

Comments

Where applicable, measurements are un-flexed. I don't know if there is a right or a wrong way and I'm open to suggestion. I found un-flexed gave me more consistent readings, though.

Body fat is measured with a body fat calliper. I just got this device and used it for the first time. My readings may be a bit inconsistent the first few weeks.

Measurements were taken at the larges section for that particular area of the body.

• Like 1

BodySpace | MyFitnessPal

4/21/2014 - Daily Check In

Monday (yesterday) was the first day of my new workout routine. It went well ...

SL5x5

I'm only on my 3 day of this as that just started last week. The weight is embarrassingly low. But, I'm doing as Medhi (stronglists.com creator) says and being patient. It's very hard, though!

• Squat - 55lbs; 5 of 5
  • Bench press - 50lbs; 5 of 5
  • Barbell row - 70lbs; 5 of 5

Cardio

I try to do all my cardio interval style. It's probably not the true definition of true HIIT but it's close. I was a little worried because I've never done cardio directly after strength training but it went well.

• Cardio - 30 minutes; elliptical; 1-1, 2 minute intervals
    • cals - 399
    • aver HR - 152
    • max HR - 173

I use a Polar FT7 heart rate monitor for tracking my cardio workouts.

Diet

No bread! This is my nod to the paleo diet Steve recommends. I'm not sure I want to give up everything it calls for but, I have been on my own natural food diet since the beginning of the year. Bread was the last thing that did not really fit into that plan. Additionally, I've done Atkins in the past so I know that dropping breads and such will induce weight loss for me.

I use an app called Fat Secret to track calories when I bother to track calories. I don't always track my calories. I sample periodically and track when I make fundamental dietary changes like no bread.

• Cals - 1789
  • Sodium - 3072
  • Fat - 93.19
  • Carbs - 175.63
  • Sugar - 114.57
  • Protein - 86.16

I'm very open to suggestions on any of those numbers you feel need some attention on my part. I can also list the specific foods for each meal if it helps any of you to help me.

Conclusion

Overall, a very good start!

• Like 2

BodySpace | MyFitnessPal

• Cals - 1789
  • Sodium - 3072
  • Fat - 93.19
  • Carbs - 175.63
  • Sugar - 114.57
  • Protein - 86.16

I'm very open to suggestions on any of those numbers you feel need some attention on my part. I can also list the specific foods for each meal if it helps any of you to help me.

Based on your measurements, I'd like to see you getting more protein in your diet.  At least 115g each day.

• Like 2

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

4/22/2014 - Daily Check In

Today is recovery day so no exercise.

Diet

• Cals - 1664
  • Sodium - 2769
  • Fat - 60.55
  • Carbs - 171.89
  • Sugar - 82.12
  • Protein - 119.29

I got my protein up as recommended by Hazard. Calories are still in check. 1600 may be a bit low but I'm working it there until I see (or am told) a reason to raise it.

No Bread again today ... even though a very scrumptious roll came with my salad at lunch today. It's always the toughest when you're out to eat.

• Like 1

BodySpace | MyFitnessPal

I changed my class to Adventurer as I seem to be going through an identity crisis as I lurk in the various guild challenge boards. Someone else must see it, too, as I just noticed yesterday that they have tagged this thread under both @rangers and @warriors even though I've never directly said anything about joining the warriors' guild.

Adventurers is really where I belong right now, anyway. My entire focus at this stage is weight loss through general fitness. 

Once this challenge is done, I may revisit this identity crisis. More likely, though, it will be after challenge # 2. It could be even farther than that. It will all depends on how satisfied I am with my weight loss / general fitness progress.

Anyway ... enough of the general post ... back to work with me!

BodySpace | MyFitnessPal

4/23/2014 Check In

It was a good day!

SL5x5

Still working up the weight ... 5 lbs at a time ...

Squat         55lbs    5 of 5

Bench press   50lbs    5 of 5

Barbell row   70lbs    5 of 5

Cardio

Usually, I would do cycle class on Wednesday evening but, I had a beekeeper activity to attend last night so I did the eliptical workout I do on Mondays and Fridays instead.

Cardio - 35 minutes; elliptical; 1-1, 2 minute intervals

Calories     363

Average HR   154

Maximum HR   179

Diet

The diet is still going strong. I still have not consumed bread. Additionally, even though it is not part of my stated goals, I have managed to ditch dairy as well.

Calories were up a bit but not out of control

Calories  1921

Carbs      217

Fat         63

Protein    131

Sodium    3733 (ouch!)

Sugar       97

Also, I switched from Fat Secret to MyFitnessPal for tracking. MyFitnessPal has a cleaner food diary, better exercise log and a measurement tracking feature that does not even exist in Fat Secret. 

• Like 1

BodySpace | MyFitnessPal

4/24/2014 Check In

No exercise yesterday as it was recovery day. Also, It was raining so I could not even get a light walk in at lunch :-(

Diet

This is the second day in a row calories have gone up. They're still not out of control. Watching a little closer to make sure they do not get there is in order, though.

Yesterday was my eldest son's birthday! Now, birthday cake in the Holmberg home is not typical birthday cake as Mrs. Holmberg does not cook with sugar. She uses honey as a sweetener instead. So, birthday cake is more like a most banana bread than cake. It's frosted with a whipped cream cheese sort of thing. Bread is bread, however, and I did partake ... twice! It's not counted in the calorie count below, either. I just did not have time to setup the recipe (which is a damn good excuse for not making the number any bigger than it already is!).

Calories  2113

Carbs      152

Fat        103

Protein    131

Sodium    2891

Sugar       60

+ 2 pieces of Mrs. Holmberg's, all natural, birthday cake :-)

BodySpace | MyFitnessPal

First of all, way to go! Second, do tell about the beekeeper activity! :)

I am a second year beekeeper. I started with 2 hives last year but it did not go really well and neither of them made it through the winter (which is not a simple task when you live in Minnesnota). I really enjoyed doing it, though, so I jumped back in this year with 2 hives again.

There are 2 major challenges relevant to me with beekeeping ...

1. Overwintering.
  2. The battle against mites (which is relevant to all beekeepers).

While I live in the sticks, I'm fortunate to live close to the Twin Cities and, therefore, have an excellent hobby beekeeper club to extract information from. My beekeeping activity was a field trip to one of the members apiary to learn about the techniques he is employing to overcome the 2 challenges listed above. I've heard him speak at the club meetings and the opportunity to go and sit with him in a small group and actually see his hives in action was just irresistible.

• Like 1

BodySpace | MyFitnessPal

Beekeeping is so cool. A friend of ours here is just setting up here first hive. I would love to do this but have an anaphylactic to bees son, so really not worth it. I will be watching my friends progress though.

Great goals Quilaho. Wishing you success.

Ps, Warriors are awesome :)

Just saying. :)

• Like 1

Wait! What............?

4/25/2014 Checkin

SL 5x5

Complete!

Squat        65 lbs  5 of 5

Bench Press  55 lbs  5 of 5

Barbell Row  75 lbs  5 of 5

Cardio

I got only a little less than 6 hours of sleep the night before. It was everything I could do to force myself on to the frigging machine. I did, though, and just did a lighter workout.

Elliptical; target HR workout; 30 minutes

Calories    305

Average HR  131

Maximum HR  147

Diet

Calorie consumption seemed to be back in check yesterday.

Calories  1774

Carbs      200

Fat         78

Protein     81

Sodium    1137

Sugar      155

As I was typing that, I noticed my protein has dipped back down and my sugar has shot up. Something new to watch.

It's been a very productive week. I look forward to taking measurements tomorrow.

• Like 1

BodySpace | MyFitnessPal

4/26/2014 Checkin

this is for Saturday. I did not keep up with my posts over the weekend.

No LS5x5 on the weekends.

Cardio

I did a different interval on Saturday. I tried a 1:2 interval instead. It was 1 minute of full on followed by a 2 minute rest. I tried to really turn it on for the 1 minute. As usual, it was a 30 minute workout. Overall, I don't think I liked it as much as the 1:1, 2 minute interval workout I've been doing.

I failed to turn my HR monitor on so I don't have the metrics. The machine listed 356 calories burned. My monitor generally comes out higher.

Diet

Calories  1875

Carbs      255

Fat         51

Protein    106

Sodium     634

Sugar      127

• Like 1

BodySpace | MyFitnessPal

On Saturday, my 6 year old comes out in the morning and climbs up in my chair to give me a hug. He gets back down, looks at me and says ...

"This getting thinner is working except for your arms"

Score!

• Like 1

BodySpace | MyFitnessPal

On Saturday, my 6 year old comes out in the morning and climbs up in my chair to give me a hug. He gets back down, looks at me and says ...

"This getting thinner is working except for your arms"

Score!

Nice!

• Like 1

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

4/27/2014 Measurements

It's measurements day! This is the day we either look forward to or dread (or just skip because we don't want to know). For me, it's been a good week and the results show.

Metric      Now    Previous  Change

Weight     252.6    259.8     -7.2

Neck         8.5     18.5      0

Waist       47       48       -1

Hips        44.5     44        0.5 

Chest       48.25    48.75    -0.5

Arms        14.25    14.5     -0.25

Thighs      26.5     26.75    -0.25

Calves      17       16.75     0.25

Body Fat     

Caliper  28.4     29.1     -0.7

DoD      34.4     35.7     -1.3

YMCA     30.1     30.6     -0.5

MYMCA    31.6     32.1     -0.5

7 lbs last week! WOOT!

I don't think it would be healthy for me to maintain such a weight loss every week but, I think a few of those pounds are also water weight from a couple weeks of unhealthy eating before getting back on track with this challenge.

I read the article on measuring body fat with a tape. Being the data geek that I am, I decided just to track and list them all to see how they compare. I mean, they are just a formula on a spreadsheet, after all.

I should also note that you will not see any exercise or diet metrics for any Sunday. I take Sunday's off completely. I splurge a little and just don't worry about it. That does not mean I don't pay attention to what I eat, I just don't pay as close attention and I don't track it at all.

• Like 1

BodySpace | MyFitnessPal

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines