• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Liberator

Liberator's 4th Challenge: Cleaning up my diet, body, mind & home

#1 "Healthy Skin" Diet

This has become the number one issue in my life. It is not that the skin looks that bad, but I know it is an indication of a bigger health problem. I am not going to be following any particular diet for this challenge. I need to go food by food to note reaction. Everything I eat I need to check for a reaction! No exceptions! Then I need confirm reaction with a second or third testing. 

My symptoms;

hives on face or break outs, red cheeks, itching skin & scalp & palms, dry eyes, soreness under arm pits, dry scratchy throat, post nasal drip, swollen lips and tongue, tightness and burning down my throat, difficultly swallowing, sore, achy joints, brain fog,tightness in my chest, swollen tonsils

THE PLAN:

A) Go to the doctor's and get some testing done.

I have a doctor's appointment (4/25) but don't have the expectation that my doctor will be able to do much for me. I plan on requesting an allergist and getting a Thyroid work up. So I am hoping some tests will shed a little light, but I need to walk in the doctor's office with a plan and list of tests I would like to see done.

B  Track all eating on Nerd Fitness :)

C)  Following Dr. Suzanne Bennett 7-Day Allergy

Skin Plan:

Things to Avoid (and any additional foods that proved to be problems)

No nuts, tea, coffee (Bulletproof tea & coffee are ok) No Starbucks (Burning throat)

No dairy (Ghee & butter are ok); No ice cream (burning throat) 

No grains, breads, things with yeast; No cinnamon french toast (Burning throat)

No mushrooms

No alcohol ( :grumpy: This one sucks but it needs to happen)

No Olive Oil (Fancy gourmet stuff burned my throat, coughing and made my eyes water   :( )

Things that had not caused a reaction (pretty Paleo, don't you think?)

- Strawberries, blueberries

- Organic grass-fed steak

- Ham & bacon

- Tomatoes, sweet potatoes

- eggs

- salt (not sure about pepper)

- Butter

- Brussel sprouts, asparagus, salad greens

D)  Feed the skin - I need to watch for Almond & nut oils in products

-collagen protein power

-collagen cream

-Diatomaceous Earth

-Proboitic Soap

-Clay Mask Pore Cleansing

-Charcoal detox

E) Learning to listen to my body to figure out what to eat.

Things are pretty Paleo but I feel I just need to personalize my diet based on my body's reactions.

#2 Thought fitness:  Heart & Mind workout

Meditation

Gratitude Statements  

Intention Statements

Use the power of thoughts to improve my health and the health of my family

This is particularly important with my autistic son. Thoughts affect how people react to him. Many people around him have low expectations of his abilities. I need to live as if Jacob is healed and normal ten year old, I need to think and act that way. I know this idea can sound strange to people but our thoughts are so important to our functioning and relationship with ourselves and others.

#3 Body 

Squats

Yoga

SL 5x5  - 2 to 3 x week during school in the weight room. 

#4 Cleaning up My Home

Home

Finances

Clearing Space for new things to enter!

I had a family party today. I was going to just eat bacon but it is a special, once a year blintze brunch so I broke down and ate 4 blintzes with fresh strawberries. I am having a reaction, of course! But I have limited will power during social events. :(

I was also having a reaction before the brunch after I drank black coffee, stevia and liquid vitamin D.

Gratitude Statements

I am grateful for vacation time and visits from far away family.

I am grateful for my husband communicating with me and expressing his feelings.

I am grateful for the health of my parents and their graceful aging and positive attitude.

I am grateful for my adventures.

I am grateful I have a positive influence on family and friends.

Today's intentions

Happy Home:

- Finish writing NF challenge and make daily template

- Clean out closet

- Set aside things to donate

- Enjoy family time

Family health is a concern:

O is coughing a lot and is gaining a lot of weight, visible fat rolls and a puffy face. It is painful to see and know I am responsible for his state of health. He lives in his head and his head is filled with Megaman, Pokemon, Minecraft and Lego characters. His twin, J is long, lean and muscular with good physical grace and confidence, non-verbal autistic who doesn't play any video games.  

Always seem to deal with opposites with the boys…. one is a chatter box, the other a mute; one eats only carbs, other eats healthy variety of foods; one is a morning riser, the other a night owl who loves to sleep in; one wants to sit in front of the tv, the other we can't keep in the house……

When they were first born I tried so hard to treat them the same, equal time, equal smiles and tickles, equal number of spoonfuls of cereal….that became impossible to do, each had very different needs. Now they are raised with completely different expectations and approaches. O sees things as very unfair. 

Well, those gourmet jelly beans I just enjoyed (for the last time) they are the NO list!

Lips are getting hot and I got some hives forming by my ears and side of my face.

Oh well, I have enjoyed easter candy for over forty years I can move on!

I feel like every day is a "last supper" for something…. 

On the road, Waffle House french toast gave me a reaction so quickly I didn't even eat half of it. (It could be the cinnamon)

Starbucks coffee gave me a burning sensation on the roof of my mouth after a few sips.

I am hoping the silver lining is I finally lose that belly fat I could never get rid of!

I'll have to add ice-cream cake as well; burning sensation down my throat.

This seems like a downer thread, but I am ok with things if I can figure things out. I am okay with not eating things if it means I will be healthier.

Edited by Liberator

Ugh! You are facing some serious challenges this challenge. I feel for you, and am very glad you're going to consult a Dr. about some of these. Let us know how things turn out. And, cut yourself some slack about O's weight and health - you can lead a horse to water, but can't make 'em drink. If both boys have the same access to healthful food and exercise opportunities, but one declines to take advantage of them, there's only so much you can do. Best of luck - 

Ugh! You are facing some serious challenges this challenge. I feel for you, and am very glad you're going to consult a Dr. about some of these. Let us know how things turn out. And, cut yourself some slack about O's weight and health - you can lead a horse to water, but can't make 'em drink. If both boys have the same access to healthful food and exercise opportunities, but one declines to take advantage of them, there's only so much you can do. Best of luck - 

Thanks Wandern! I have the appointment this week, I'll see what he says…

O eats like is father and J eats like me! I am doing what I can with everyone involved. :)

I am grateful for spring vegetables, love asparagus, artichokes!

I am grateful for my support network of friends and loved ones.

I am grateful for my body awareness and my enjoyment of exercise.

I am grateful for my ability to heal.

I am grateful for cool fresh breezes of spring.

Intention

To prepare to return to school.

Get clutter out of the home. 

I am grateful for a new morning

I am grateful for the control of how I am going to react to circumstances that will arise today

I am grateful I control my attitude

I am grateful for my energy to start my day

Liberator, I realize that yours is the last thread I didn't read - last but not least I'd say.

It looks like you have a well planned approach to this challenge and I agree with Wandern that it is good to have a doctors appointment too.

Regarding the boys I feel so much love coming out through just the way you talk about  them here and for me that is the most important thing. We cannot make them make good choices or change who they are. We can just be good parents and I think you are a very good parent.

• Like 2

Tennis Geek and Eve thanks for the words of encouragement!

I could use it today! I had one of those days where I just wanted to walk away from my job and not look back!!! I just started to clean out my room and give away books and collected art stuff so I would have less to pack. I just snapped and I figured I didn't need these things. Some things I have been saving for a few years with project in mind but haven't gotten around to doing them, those things needed to go. The seniors who were helping me were thrilled. It felt … well, liberating! I got rid of old student work, donations, supplies I didn't need for this year. I just want to rid myself of all this stuff… My students have an AP test coming up and only a few kids are even trying to prepare… in my school all the art majors are required to take AP art history, so I have 27 students and only 7 really want to take the class! I am evaluated on my students test results…. they are going to suck!! The test is given on a day that is supposed to be a half day for school and it is 3 hours long so the test will take longer then a regular school day. A number of students are planning to not show up! Soooooo, I have had enough! 

I am grateful for O trying more types of food, he ate steak and liked it :)

I am grateful for the student who decided to return the camera stolen from my room! It was a god thing because it was a friend's camera.

I am grateful I didn't accuse any student of taking it and they just decided to do the right thing on their own!

I am grateful for the opportunity to show my artwork.

Tennis Geek and Eve thanks for the words of encouragement!

I could use it today! I had one of those days where I just wanted to walk away from my job and not look back!!! I just started to clean out my room and give away books and collected art stuff so I would have less to pack. I just snapped and I figured I didn't need these things. Some things I have been saving for a few years with project in mind but haven't gotten around to doing them, those things needed to go. The seniors who were helping me were thrilled. It felt … well, liberating! I got rid of old student work, donations, supplies I didn't need for this year. I just want to rid myself of all this stuff… My students have an AP test coming up and only a few kids are even trying to prepare… in my school all the art majors are required to take AP art history, so I have 27 students and only 7 really want to take the class! I am evaluated on my students test results…. they are going to suck!! The test is given on a day that is supposed to be a half day for school and it is 3 hours long so the test will take longer then a regular school day. A number of students are planning to not show up! Soooooo, I have had enough! 

*HUGS*

Well, it's nice of you to care that much of students. 

Only thing I can tell you is, "You can lead a horse to a water...".

The reality is, what students do is unfortunately not under your control. 

As long as you are doing your part - you should care and pay attention, but worrying and getting stressed are counterproductive.

So, take it easy. Step back and take a breath. Good energy from you should help your students.

• Like 1

It must be something universal about students; mine have been the worst this week, so far :-/

Progress reports go home next week and they're not going to be happy. Maybe that will motivate them a little.

Good luck with school.

*HUGS*

Well, it's nice of you to care that much of students. 

Only thing I can tell you is, "You can lead a horse to a water...".

The reality is, what students do is unfortunately not under your control. 

As long as you are doing your part - you should care and pay attention, but worrying and getting stressed are counterproductive.

So, take it easy. Step back and take a breath. Good energy from you should help your students.

Thanks! It has been a rough week. :(

I am grateful for my health, no meds yet! Hope to keep it that way!

I am grateful to friends who know how to fix things.

I am grateful for longer days.

I am grateful for the upcoming summer.

I am grateful for a day off!

I am grateful for a husband who calls home to see if I need anything at the store.

I am grateful for my cup of coffee in the morning, I didn't get a cup today and felt awful and had headache… realized I didn't drink coffee, got some and feeling much better! That is miracle juice!!! Powerful stuff!

I am grateful for caring friends who are supportive and good-hearted!

I am grateful for new people in my life to widen my circle and increase my knowledge and compassion of the world.

I am grateful for new experience to grow from.

I am grateful for positive thoughts and positive energy.

I am grateful for my body and all the amazing things it can do.

I am grateful for my patience with myself….. I am a bit "lazy" with the challenge with things not flushed out as I have done in the past. 

I am grateful for my flexibility and forgiveness.

I am grateful for the opportunity to practice kindness on myself so I can in turn be kinder to others.

Bought some probiotic soap and negatively-ionized collagen cream, expensive!! 

Doctor's appointment was last Thursday.

Blood Pressure was 96/64 (I hope to be first person in the family to never have to take blood pressure pills :) )

All was well - except for my reactions; still waiting for blood work results; got an epi pen.

Damn it, I think Gluten-free Ancient Grain waffles are out…. Bummer, my skin just cleared up! Burning down the throat and redness on chin and near my eyes. 

I am grateful for laughter and fun.

I am grateful for loving acceptance.

I am grateful for a peaceful mind.

I am grateful for strong legs and heart. 

I am grateful for gentle loving eyes.

I am grateful for a release from anger.

I am grateful for a calming voice.

I am grateful for fearless courage. 

I am grateful for Mondays and new starts to the week.

I am grateful for students good-nature and enthusiasm.

I am grateful for an open heart.

I am grateful for sharing this crazy journey of life with others.

I am grateful for sleep! 

I am grateful for my sensitivity that lets me know when I am missing something in my life.

I am grateful for the feeling of being well rested.

I am grateful for deep breaths.

I am grateful for a quiet mind.

• Like 1