Hey y'all,

So I am a super-stressed out, incredibly busy college student and I want to break the cycle of my current unhealthy habits before I graduate (roughly a year-ish from now). I need serious help. With everything. Workouts, nutrition, motivation, all of it. Any and all help would be supremely awesome. 

Here's a bit of a breakdown-

Workouts

I like

• Lifting things
  • Doing things that have a practical application

I don't like

• Running
  • Going to the gym (because the super-skinny girls do horrible things to my psychological state and the buff guys in the weight room intimidate me) 

Nutrition

• If I can make a lot of it and eat it through the week, that's awesome
  • I hate the idea that "I should never feel full"
  • I have to be budget conscious 
  • I fall off the wagon when my life gets crazy and can't eat right for a several days

Motivation

• I get the most discouraged when I do something for over a month and don't see/ feel any different
  • None of my friends are starting from square one like me. They're either already super-fit or aren't doing anything on the fitness front
  • I hate going it alone, but that often feels like my only option.

So what do y'all think? Can someone help me out? Should I get my butt over to the academy? How can I set this up so I don't fail again? Seriously, I'm sick of starting and then failing. I'm willing to do something different. I want to do something different. I just need someone to help me set it up so I don't fail. 

Current Challenge

My fitness tumblr

Challenge Progress:

20.6%
20.6%

Don't worry, you can get better. What works is completely dependent on how you work. Personally, I'm very structured, so I start with planning how my ideal diet/exercise regime would be. Then I look at the difference between my current habits and my ideal habits. Then I think of some possible changes that bring me closer to the ideal, but are quite easy to complete. For example, I want to exercise for at least 30 minutes every day. When I started, I was already very close to that, so one of my goals is to exercise every day for at least 30 minutes. If that sounds difficult to you, you can start with walking for 10 minutes every day between waking up and lectures. Or in the break between lectures.

I think you have the greatest chance on success if you do the same:

1. Ask yourself what you want to change about yourself. Diet? Exercise? Study?

2. Choose one small change you can make. For example:

- Walk for 10 minutes every day when you wake up

- Do 5 incline push-ups every time you enter your room/dorm

- Replace 1 soda with a glass of water or hot tea every day

- Eat 200g of vegetables every day

- Don't eat after 8PM

- Make a summary of each lecture as soon as you have time for it

- Go to sleep by 11PM

- etc.

3. If the change was easy, you may add one of another category after 1 week. If it was hard, concentrate on this change for another week.

4. Only add a new change in a category (food/diet/study) if you are sure that the change you made before is ingrained. This takes at least 3 weeks for most people and the bigger the change, the longer it gets.

Progress will seem incredibly slow this way, but if you do this consistently, you will have healthy habits by the end of the year. 50 changes is a lot, I think most people can have a healthy life if they made 50 very small adaptions in their life style. The biggest problem is motivation, but if the changes are small, it is easier to stick to them ;).

Good luck!

• Like 2

The nerdfitness system of doing 3 small! changes for 6 weeks is a great system. And at the end of the 6 weeks you can see your summary and say: Hey, i did a 20 minutes workout twice a week for 6 weeks! I'm awesome! Or, I did a 20 minute workout only once a week, it is still an achievement, and this time I will try to do two per week. Or I hated the workout, so i will try something else. 

Same with nutrition - because even eating right 2-3 days per week is better than none. This is why there is the grading system. And even if you grade yourself with a D, you think - hey, it is better than not trying at all!Ok, I'd be embarrased getting a D in math or something, but I've never had any problems with it. This is why this isn't fit guy's calculus.com, but rather nerdfitness.com. Most of us start really small and so it is natural that you don't do 100% on your goals (and if you do, then they probably were too easy). 

I started a challenge here for two times and failed, because I said: I will workout three times 90 minutes every week! I will eat paleo from now! Completely! 

For my third challenge I really choose very very small goals (so small that they were almost embarrasing!) But when the stress came - I am also a college student - i was happy that I chose goals so small. So really, say - you will do the Beginners Body weight workout twice a week. Say you will cook as much chicken as possible on Sunday and freeze it for the whole week. 

A Hobbit who wants to become an Elf - Scout - Level 3
STR: 2,75 | DEX: 4 | CON: 5,5 | STA: 2,5 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 2,75
The journey of Tinessael 1

The journey of Tinessael 2

Tinessael's Challenge (ongoing)

I agree on the bodyweight workout. It is awesome to be able to do exercises you weren't able to do before. Or you can start with parkour. I have never tried it, but it looks like fun and you can start very gradually by "just" jumping over obstacles, climb on small walls, etc. All exercise counts, so if you like walking/biking/cleaning/etc. do it more ;). Try yoga or one of the workouts on nerdfitness.com. Find some exercise that you enjoy becoming better at.

For the food: never skip breakfast (this can be your first change). Try to eat 3-5 meals a day with only fruit/vegetables as snacks. You can loosen this up later on, but it is a great way to get rid of the calorie-dense snacks. If possible, cook yourself. When you cook yourself, you see what is in there and it is easier to make healthier choices. Even though you don't need to adapt your recipes in the beginning, cooking yourself will almost automatically lead to healthier choices. Try to eat at least 200g of vegetables a day. It is not difficult once it is a habit, but it needs to become a habit first. Try to find some people to cook together with, cooking for one is not as much fun and is much more expensive than cooking for 2-4 people. Don't buy snacks/soda.

For study: prepare your lectures. Make summaries of the lectures shortly after them. Study consistently, not only when there is an exam. Sleep enough.

These are some basic things you can do, of course there are more changes possible. Good luck and keep us up to date :).

Welcome to forums.  I'm also new here but I'm loving it already because I get to see so many people at various stages on their journey and have the encouragement and support from others.  I completely agree that the best thing you can do is plan out where you want to be and then find small changes that will get you there are sustainable when you're stressed or busy with school.  Each small step in the right direction does add up over time and making the new habits will make you feel more confident and ready to tackle everything.  

One that thing really helps is try to find someone specific either on the forums or in real life (or both!) to help hold you accountable.  Then make your goals and go through them with that person, especially when you're struggling.  I'm one of those people who does really good on internal will power for a few weeks then gets bored or tired and falls away.  Having someone who knows your struggles/journey will really help you stay the course!  Good luck! 

Intro, Challenges:  1, 2

Level: 1   Race: Human  Profession: Ranger

STR: 2  DEX: 1  STA: 1  CON: 1  WIS: 3  CHA: 2

"[i fear] a cage. . . . To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire." - J.R.R. Tolkien

"Your mind will quit a hundred times before your body ever does.  Feel the pain and do it anyway"

High five to the super busy student life! I'm usually in the same boat as you. Since you don't like running or going to the gym, I would recommend something like P90x or insanity. I really liked insanity because it was relatively short, but an awesome workout. There's a whole boatload of at home workouts to choose from and I think it's easier to have someone tell you what to do and when to do it when you're working out at home since you don't have the same pressure or motivation you would find in a gym. Good luck!

Ok, I think I figured out what I want my life to look like. I've been watching (a bit too much maybe) of Supernatural, and I want to have the build of a hunter (but for the love of all that is holy, I do not want the lifestyle or the diet).I want to have the muscle and the know-how to defend myself, so I can be confidant in what I do.

Food wise, I want to get away from processed food as much as possible and get closer to paleo. I want to eat more veggies.

Now, the question is, how do I start moving to that? I've blown out my motivation too many times to count. Does anyone have (a) good resource(s)  for me to start with?

Current Challenge

My fitness tumblr

Challenge Progress:

20.6%
20.6%

Ok, I think I figured out what I want my life to look like. I've been watching (a bit too much maybe) of Supernatural, and I want to have the build of a hunter (but for the love of all that is holy, I do not want the lifestyle or the diet).I want to have the muscle and the know-how to defend myself, so I can be confidant in what I do.

Food wise, I want to get away from processed food as much as possible and get closer to paleo. I want to eat more veggies.

Now, the question is, how do I start moving to that? I've blown out my motivation too many times to count. Does anyone have (a) good resource(s)  for me to start with?

When you "blew out your motivation", what were you doing? Had you made big changes in your diet and exercise? Too much too soon is just not sustainable, and a lot of people make the mistake of thinking that they just can't "do it". Start with small changes and let them become habit. It takes a while to get used to having tea instead of soda, but you're in it for the long haul, right?

The past is only smoke in a dream.

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 9 CON 8 WIS 2 CHA 8

Barfly ain't even tryin'...