In Which Epsilonx2 Prepares for the Future

Epsilonx2

Hello, Rangers (and anyone else who happens to be reading)!

I'm late to the party once again, but 100% on board! It took me a long time to determine exactly how I was going to lay this challenge out because the goals I set for myself last challenge started to feel like they were in conflict with each other. I want to be sure that won't happen this time around. I have a better idea of where my life is headed than I did two months ago, so this challenge will be about making that journey as smooth (and as kick-ass) as possible.

post-7517-0-80744000-1398145760_thumb.jp Eat the good stuff.

I still like the idea of not putting strict outlines on my food plan because I don't have all that much control over the food we eat and I don't want to feel guilty. I also want the way I eat to feel natural and not forced. Eventually, I'll have my own house and the only say on what goes into my body. I don't want this part of my life to feel like a checklist, but I do want to keep things healthy and exciting! I've developed a deep love for the Nom Nom Paleo blog and it's the inspiration for my first goal this challenge. I will try a new paleo recipe each week. This could be a dinner for my community, lunch for one, or something I make in larger quantities for use throughout the week. It just has to be paleo and something I've never made before. Note: This past week saw a sort of casserole made with spinach, mushrooms, bacon, garlic, and other yummy things with little hollows in which eggs were cooked. Completely delicious. [+3 CON]

A: New recipe each week!

B: 5 new recipes

C: 4 new recipes

D: 3 new recipes

F: I fear dietary change.

post-7517-0-06377300-1398145779_thumb.jp Run from zombies.

If you were around for the end of my last challenge, you may recall that I'm training for a half-marathon. Why am I doing this, you ask? Well, you're a rebel. You're probably not asking that question. I ask myself every time I go running longer than I think is possible (weekly), but that's another story altogether. I love the feeling I get after running, but not so much the desperation and emotional pain I tend to feel around mile 3. I want to be able to run farther and faster and am already amazed at how much more I can do than a few months ago, but it's a long process. I need to make sure I stay on track, so my training will be a big part of this challenge! Zombies, Run! is my go-to for staying motivated. Just yesterday, I ran my longest distance yet. 6 miles! And I'm not dead! Yaaaaaay!!! [+3 STA] [+1 STR] [+1 CHA]

A: Four runs per week, including one long run.

B: 1-3 runs missed

C: 4-5 runs missed

D: 6-8 runs missed

F: I will be one of the first to be eaten by zombies.

post-7517-0-25201600-1398145789_thumb.pn Just breathe.

I've found that more regular meditation has been helpful on so many levels. Physically, emotionally, spiritually, and in plenty of other ways, I feel better when I take the time to just feel. I haven't developed a practice yet, but I definitely want to. I'm figuring out what that looks like for me very slowly. This challenge, I will be sure to continue exploring. My meditation tends to take different forms because I've found it difficult to sit down and reflect on a regular basis. I don't really have the kind of space I'd like to do it in (i.e. not my bedroom or somewhere people are constantly walking in and out of), so sometimes I do it while I'm running or working out or need to take a step back from things at work. Each day, I will have at least five minutes of silence, yoga, or dedicated meditation (perhaps using the Stop, Breathe, & Think app I downloaded last challenge). [+1 WIS] [+2 DEX]

A: Some form of meditation almost every day.

B: 3-5 days missed

C: 6-8 days missed

D: 9-12 days missed

F: I lack focus.

post-7517-0-77078900-1398145768_thumb.pn Practice being a web professional.

My year of service will be over in about three months. Major sadness. :sorrow:  I've made the decision to stay in Detroit, but I need both a job and a place to live for that to become a reality. I want to do web design and development, but I don't have any professional experience and very little practical experience at all. I'm working on that... I had this past week off and went through the whole web design track on Treehouse. There's just a whole lot to know and it's difficult to know where to start as someone who's never really had a paying job before. I've got a redesign project I'm working on, but I keep learning about things I want to use (Sass and mobile first responsive design being prime examples) on the site and feeling like I don't know how to move forward. I need to work on not being so afraid to be wrong that I don't create anything at all, so this challenge I will spend at least half an hour a day in some web design related activity. This could be training videos, networking events, meeting with a mentor, reading documentation, or (*gasp*) actually working on the website I'm supposed to be building. [+2 WIS] [+2 CHA]

A: Web stuff just about every day.

B: 3-5 days missed

C: 6-8 days missed

D: 9-12 days missed

F: I may have to move back in with my parents and work at McDonald's.

I'm starting to feel a bit less like the chubby friend and a bit more like someone who knows how to take care of their body and spirit. My progress definitely slowed last challenge, but I'm ready to kick back into high gear! I got the invitation to my college roommate's wedding today! I want jaws to drop when I'm back in New York the week before!

• Like 1

Aisha
Half-Giant Warrior, Level 5

STR: 7 || DEX: 6 || STA: 8 || CON: 7.5 || WIS: 12.5 || CHA: 5

Challenges: Current 4 3 2 1

Zombies, Run!

Nerd Fitness Mitten Meetups

If you have come here to help me, you are wasting your time.

But if you have come because your liberation is bound up with mine,

then let us work together. -Lilla Watson

Hey, friends! It's nice to see ya!

Just to catch up a bit on the progress made so far in Week 2, I should probably mention that I went to the gym yesterday. The 6-mile run was in the evening following an Easter brunch that turned into my whole house lying on our friends' lawn for hours on end while eating, drinking, tanning, and napping. Because I work at a Catholic high school, I had the day after Easter off. I woke up around noon, lounged a bit, had some lunch, then brought my computer down the street to a coffee shop to try and get some work done on my redesign project. I didn't actually make any progress, but I did learn a bunch of stuff that will probably be more useful once I'm working on bigger projects. I met one of my housemates at the gym and it hit me that I'd been away for way longer than I'd thought. It was a little intimidating for a few minutes, but then I was back in the zone. Everything hurts a bit today, but I've definitely felt worse and it makes me feel like I made good use of the time.

Today was a short run day. Normally, the same housemate I met at the gym would've gone running with me in the morning. Sadly, she's fallen really ill. I myself was up extremely late last night fretting about going back to work after a long break. I'm still a little surprised at myself that I actually kept it together enough to go for that run during my lunch break! It was only 3 miles (that statement would've sounded ludicrous to me a few months back), but I'm not very fast and had almost exactly an hour before I had to be back at work to check the children in. Lately, I've been working on just not walking. Even if I have to slow waaaaaay down for a while, I won't let myself fall past a jog. Mentally, it's been super helpful. Running also gives me that quiet alone time (when I'm running by myself). I'm about to start working on my site right now. It's just such a huge project... And I have to do everything... Maybe I'll write copy.

• Like 2

Aisha

Zombies, Run!

It was only 3 miles (that statement would've sounded ludicrous to me a few months back), but I'm not very fast and had almost exactly an hour before I had to be back at work to check the children in. Lately, I've been working on just not walking. Even if I have to slow waaaaaay down for a while, I won't let myself fall past a jog. Mentally, it's been super helpful. Running also gives me that quiet alone time (when I'm running by myself). I'm about to start working on my site right now. It's just such a huge project... And I have to do everything... Maybe I'll write copy.

That right there is awesome. When you can say "it's only" to something that a few months ago was a major challenge.

Telling yourself to slow jog as opposed to walking is a great method. It also keeps your legs moving in the same rhythm, even if the steps are smaller. I find if I start walking in a run, it just gets easier and easier to go back to walking for the rest of that run. Better to learn how to recover at a slower pace and then keep going from there.

• Like 1

Quirky DM

My Battle Log: QuirkyDM going Quazy

"Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure."

W2D4:

Things are good! I'm definitely getting better about the foods I eat just because I'm feeling energized about the other healthy stuff that's going on. Today, our run was 5 miles. My housemate and I drove up to the other JV house after work and got right to it. I kept up with the other two for almost two miles before I had to fall back. I actually think it was the first time I'd ever gone all the way through a (non-5K training) Zombies, Run mission in one sitting. Before, for longer runs, I'd left my headphones at home. I've embraced the fact that I can't yet keep up with my friends over longer distances, so I'm excited to start charging through the story!

I also got a chance to do a bit of learnin' today. I started watching the Treehouse series on front-end frameworks. I know what they are, but not how to use them or the benefits of using the various ones out there. Right now, they're going over Bootstrap. I think I might need something that robust for the site I want to build for my friends at the New York Association for Blind Athletes, especially since my JavaScript skills are pretty weak. We'll see! I'm just glad to be making some progress and learning new things!

Aisha

Zombies, Run!

W2D5:

Just had a moment of weakness in which I contemplated running and grabbing pizza from the teachers' lounge while my coworker (who's also getting fit) is out of the building. I have prevailed against the cheesy temptress... for now.

• Like 1

Aisha

Zombies, Run!

W2D4:

Things are good! I'm definitely getting better about the foods I eat just because I'm feeling energized about the other healthy stuff that's going on. Today, our run was 5 miles. My housemate and I drove up to the other JV house after work and got right to it. I kept up with the other two for almost two miles before I had to fall back. I actually think it was the first time I'd ever gone all the way through a (non-5K training) Zombies, Run mission in one sitting. Before, for longer runs, I'd left my headphones at home. I've embraced the fact that I can't yet keep up with my friends over longer distances, so I'm excited to start charging through the story!

I also got a chance to do a bit of learnin' today. I started watching the Treehouse series on front-end frameworks. I know what they are, but not how to use them or the benefits of using the various ones out there. Right now, they're going over Bootstrap. I think I might need something that robust for the site I want to build for my friends at the New York Association for Blind Athletes, especially since my JavaScript skills are pretty weak. We'll see! I'm just glad to be making some progress and learning new things!

Yeah, go kick some zombie butt! It is a great story and a lot of fun. 

I have kids, so I have to admit, when you said Treehouse, I automatically went here:

treehousetv.gif

Great job on resisting pizza. If there's ever anything I'll be tempted to cave on, it's pizza. Oh, and A&W root beer. Ok, If there's two things, I'll cave on it's pizza and root beer. And bacon cheeseburgers. Oh yeah. OK, if there's three things ... when is it going to be lunchtime, already?

• Like 1

Quirky DM

W3D2:

This past weekend saw some of the highest highs and lowest lows of my JVC year, which is why I really haven't posted in the last few days. My challenge is still going pretty strong. I forgot to mention last week that we made a simple curry that I ate without rice. So delicious. We all missed our long run (8 miles) because of the craziness over the weekend. The other JV house threw a party and one of my housemates chose not to participate. What we didn't realize was that she was going through some very intense feelings of worthlessness and isolation on top of other issues that are just constantly pressing on her. No one was there for her when she needed it most and she spent the next two days completely shutting us out until we all finally sat down and talked about it last night. It was a lot of sitting in silence and wishing I'd done things differently and trying to think how I could have... I honestly have no idea how to deal with any of it, how to help her, how to repair the relationship, how to even get her to look at me, how to let go of my own frustration and anger and sadness... It's by far the worst situation we've ever been in as a community and I'm a little afraid we won't come out of it intact.

Aisha

Zombies, Run!

W3D5:

This week has been rough... I haven't had my running partners with me, plus people are visiting, plus we've had to have a few really tough conversations in community. I'm trying to run during my lunch breaks, but there are other things I absolutely have to get done... Good thing I work down the street from my house! I did make a new chicken recipe this week. I thought I was responsible for making dinner on Wednesday, but hardly anyone wound up eating it. :neglected:

Having a different work schedule from everyone else is definitely weighing on me lately. I have to wake up around 5:30 if I want to have enough time to get to the gym, do what I need to do, shower, and get back with a car in time for everyone else to go to work. Then I don't get off work until 6, at which point everyone else is ready for dinner and then we do dishes for an hour (lots of dishes and no dish washer) and then there's often some sort of meeting... And now I'm just ranting. I truly love my community, but I'm feeling lazy and just want the freedom to structure my own schedule.

On top of everything else, my dad started dialysis a couple of days ago. He's in his mid-50s and will likely be on it the rest of his life. I can't say I'm totally surprised, they'd been preparing for it for a while, but it definitely shook me. I feel completely helpless when it comes to my dad's health and this... It's just one more thing I don't know how to deal with.

Aisha

Zombies, Run!

That is a rough week- you have my support. This halfway point is where the new challenge goals start feeling tougher, so I'm always feeling a little stressed when I hit this point. But take the rest of your life changes, and it would be abnormal not to feel stressed out.

Sorry to hear about your Dad. That's a scary thing and he's still young to deal with anything like this. I hope he's around for many years still to come.

Rant away- this is the perfect place to get it off your choice and figure out how to come back strong and ready to tackle everything.

• Like 1

Quirky DM

That is a rough week- you have my support. This halfway point is where the new challenge goals start feeling tougher, so I'm always feeling a little stressed when I hit this point. But take the rest of your life changes, and it would be abnormal not to feel stressed out.

Sorry to hear about your Dad. That's a scary thing and he's still young to deal with anything like this. I hope he's around for many years still to come.

Rant away- this is the perfect place to get it off your choice and figure out how to come back strong and ready to tackle everything.

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it. My dad's situation is part of why I admire all the dads on here so much. I can't think of anything better you can do for your children than to just be there, fully present. I want him to walk me down the aisle and know my children, but I've been afraid that won't happen since I was a teenager.

Aisha

Zombies, Run!

W4D2:

Success, friends! I'm back in it. Last night, I was once again frustrated with myself for not getting out for a run. We were supposed to run 9 miles on Sunday, but it just didn't happen. We had people visiting, there was a Cinco de Mayo parade, someone was shot a couple blocks from my house... mess. I told myself I'd make up for it the next morning and I slept through two alarms. Then I said I'd do it after work since we were doing our own thing for dinner and wound up talking to my college roommate for an hour. I was beginning to feel convinced that the universe didn't want me to run any farther. By the time we hit 7pm, I didn't feel like I could leave because we were supposed to have a community meeting. It was shortly after that that I remembered one of my housemates was working really late and wouldn't be back until around 9:30. I hopped up, changed my clothes, and ran out the door.

I'd only planned on doing 8 miles, the distance of the first run we missed, but by the time I got to 6 or 7 I was like "Well, why not?" Unfortunately, Zombies Run crapped out on me twice! I just plotted out what I think my route was and it looks like I did 9.37 miles in roughly 110 minutes, give or take. I didn't stop or walk at all, which is what I'm more concerned with anyway. I actually had trouble stopping at the end... I don't know if that's normal. My legs just kept moving without conscious direction for half a block or so. Took a while for me to feel like a human being again after that, but things are good now!

Aisha

Zombies, Run!

W4D3:

By far, the most difficult part of this challenge is the running. Meditation and working on web design stuff feel like second nature at this point, but running is so HARD! I wasn't feeling running through cold rain today and briefly flirted with the idea of putting the run off. I'm already so behind, though, that I just couldn't do it. When I found out one of my housemates had wanted to work out outside and had also been thwarted by the rain, I was just like "Wanna go to the gym?" I hopped back on the treadmill for the first time in quite a while. I broke the distance (4 miles) up into three parts and kept a constant speed for each one. The first two parts (6mph) were definitely faster than I'm used to going for any real distance and the last part (5mph) felt considerably slower. It was interesting to experiment like that, but I made sure to get the distance in that I was supposed to. I think I'm also still feeling that ridiculously long run on Monday night... Ugh, and I have to do it all over again AND MORE on Sunday!

Aisha

Zombies, Run!

W4D7:

Just a brief update:

My community went camping this weekend with one of my housemates for her birthday. Her parents and maternal grandparents took us to an RV resort (so no, not real camping) and showed us an amazing time. We played mini-golf, raced go-karts, nearly got blown away by sudden winds, and sat around a fire singing, playing games, and eating s'mores.

We returned home this afternoon and got a long run in in the evening. I went by myself because I knew the other two were going a shorter distance at a faster pace. I ran 10 miles and am pretty convinced I'm never going to do this to myself again. I'll keep running and I'm totally still doing the half-marathon, but I don't know if I particularly want to go past the 10K range moving forward. Also, I went through like three episodes of Zombies, Run season 1 because I just didn't care about tracking my time and nearly starting crying halfway through. That app is quite possibly the main reason I continue to run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkq

• Like 1

Aisha

Zombies, Run!

W4D7:

Just a brief update:

My community went camping this weekend with one of my housemates for her birthday. Her parents and maternal grandparents took us to an RV resort (so no, not real camping) and showed us an amazing time. We played mini-golf, raced go-karts, nearly got blown away by sudden winds, and sat around a fire singing, playing games, and eating s'mores.

We returned home this afternoon and got a long run in in the evening. I went by myself because I knew the other two were going a shorter distance at a faster pace. I ran 10 miles and am pretty convinced I'm never going to do this to myself again. I'll keep running and I'm totally still doing the half-marathon, but I don't know if I particularly want to go past the 10K range moving forward. Also, I went through like three episodes of Zombies, Run season 1 because I just didn't care about tracking my time and nearly starting crying halfway through. That app is quite possibly the main reason I continue to run.

Yeah, 10 miles isn't something you can casually throw out there and do on a whim. But the big thing is, you did it. Even if you never do it again, except for the half marathon, you'll have that feather in your cap no matter what else happens.

Of course Zombies, Run! is definitely an excellent method of getting some runs in. It's kept many of us going for much longer than would have normally been possible.

Haven't heard from you in a while, so I hope it's all going OK. Less than a week to go before the end of this challenge!

• Like 1

Quirky DM

Thanks so much for checking in! This challenge was clearly not a great one for posting on my part! I'm back from retreat and ready to jump into the next challenge. But first, a very brief recap:

So aside from not posting the last two weeks of the challenge, my running. Broke. Down. It was rough and the half-marathon is this Saturday! The bad news: I failed that particular goal, no getting around it. The silver lining: I've realized that long-distance running is truly not my thing. I would've had absolutely no grounds to say that before this challenge because I'd never tried it.

I passed all the other goals with As, but they weren't nearly as active. I felt like I didn't really have much to write about and super guilty about not running. :/ Time to start fresh with new challenge goals!

Edit:

One thing that's pretty exciting that I neglected to mention is that I started selling on Fiverr during this challenge! I first heard of it when I was in college, but never really used it. I added gigs to try and get some web dev practice and have actually made a little money!

Aisha

Zombies, Run!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines