Thunderstorm lightens her load

Thunderstorm

Hi, everyone!  My name is Thunderstorm.  I'm not new to NF, but I'm new to the Scouts.  I've wanted to join this challenge, and was trying to think of  fun way to role play my thread.... and so I waited.  (Too many things going on to "have a proper think" about it.)  :onthego:  So I decided I'm just going to jump in here, get started without the fun wrappings-and-ribbon, and just get going!

Main Quest:  to lose weight (long term goal, but hoping to lose enough to get back into my favorite work pants by the end of the challenge -- totally doable, since that'll only be 5 to 8 pounds)

Supporting quest #1: No snacking after 8pm.  I work afternoon/evenings, usually not getting home until 7:30 or 8pm.  During my work shift, it often gets so crazy that I don't get a chance to eat or take a break during my shift.  So, I'll allow myself to eat a meal, but no endless eating/snacking (which often happens, unfortunately).

Supporting quest #2:  2 miles run/walk/bike 6 days a week.  I'm a beginning runner.  I can also walk or bike to work when the weather cooperates.  Plenty of options, but I just need to DO IT!

Supporting quest #3:  Drink 2 bottles of water a day (minimum).  I always have my water with me.  I'm often short on sleep (a goal for future adventure), so I often turn to caffeinated soda (yup, another future goal).  So, I'm getting back to my water!

** Edited to add that this is my stainless steel water bottle which holds 3 cups of water

Life Quest:  I have a brother who's into running.  I want to join him in a 5k this fall.  Toward that end, I've found two local 5k run/walks that I can enter.  I figure there is no shame if I end up walking quite a bit of it -- and there is no shame anyway, because how many people aren't even going to try a 5k?  I've been playing around with training on/off all winter (read treadmill, and avoiding the treadmill  **yawn**).  So now it's time to quit making excuses because of the winter weather and limitations. 

Measuring my goals will be a simple case of daily yes/no for goals 1, 2 and 3.  The Life Quest goal will be based on how many days I did or didn't stick to my training program (using Jeff Galloway run/walk method right now -- 3 days of running each week, walking 3 days a week, resting 1 day).  I'll use the percentage grading chart for determining my points earned at the end of the challenge.  Points will be awarded in Stamina and Constitution. 

I'm 50 years old.  I'm on my feet all day at my job.  I need to not let these things (and the well-earned tiredness at the end of the day) derail my plans.

So...... this scout is going to lighten her load.... umm, her travel pack..... so she can have more energy and so she run better!

Thunderstorm:  Level 3 Elf Scout

STR: 6.5  ~  DEX: 2  ~  STA: 3.5  ~  CON: 9.25  ~  WIS: 4.5  ~  CHA: 3

Hey, well, better L than N. Welcome to Scouts! It sounds like your goals are hitting the stiff you need to - and can - deal with first, which is great. And the 5ks will be a fun goal to work towards. I bet you do a lot better in it than you seem (judging by this write-up) to be expecting.

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

BTW you might want to add the dates of your 5ks to the Scout Event Calendar so we can make sure and not miss them...

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Finishing a 5K is finishing, you know what I mean?? Don't worry about the time and just enjoy the fun of getting stronger. Besides, you have plenty of time to train - I bet you will be blowing past people by then :)

I really like your first goal. Learning to eat thoughtfully was my first Big Accomplishment after joining NF - I never put anything in my mouth without thinking about it first anymore (although it definitely still happens that I put stuff in that I have thought about and decided I probably oughtn't, lol)

Welcome to Scouts!! Thrilled to see how you come along :)

Level 7 DINOSAUR Scout
STR: 9 - CON: 12 - DEX: 6 - STA: 10 - WIS: 16 - CHA: 11
Current Challenge
Scouts Base Camp
Scouts Tavern

Hydration is an awesome goal, and one I'm glad to see has become popular this round if my memory is to be believed. Also, as has been said, sounds like you've got a plan for the 5k which increases the likelihood you do fine to "pretty darn good" at least. :P

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Thanks, 18ck.  I want to do well, but I'm expecting myself to be at the back of the running pack.  I would love to do better.  Thank you for the encouragement!

I added my 5k's to the calendar.

Finishing a 5K is finishing, you know what I mean?? Don't worry about the time and just enjoy the fun of getting stronger. Besides, you have plenty of time to train - I bet you will be blowing past people by then :)

I'm going to focus on the joy.  Joy in the journey of training, joy in the race, joy in getting better and stronger and having the time to do it.  Thank you for the encouragement! 

I also did well last night -- no evening snacking at all! 

Thank you for the encouragement, Shukar!

You guys all having me feeling less nervous about it already!  :joyous:

Yesterdays report: 

Supporting quest #1: No snacking after 8pm.  Yes

Supporting quest #2:  2 miles run/walk/bike 6 days a week.  Yes

Supporting quest #3:  Drink 2 bottles of water a day (minimum).  Yes

Life Quest:  Stick to my 5K training plan.  Yes

I saw you were doing a Zombie 5k. I think @jtggodqos did one of those last year. In fact, I think she even won it, so you could ask her for tips. Remember, go for the head. With the Zombies, I mean, not @jtggodqos.

Yesterday I did a short run before work, but I got a late start so only got in1.25 miles. 

The rain held off, so I did walk to/from work (1.5 miles). 

It's raining pretty hard outside right now, and supposed to continue all day.  This mornings plan is an indoor walk on the treadmill.

Yesterdays report: 

Supporting quest #3:  Drink 2 bottles of water, minimum (stainless steel bottle that holds 3 cups).  Yes

Thank you, Kailer!

Just a quick pop-in today.  Not much time to post right now....

Thursday I substituted 5 miles on the stationary bike for the treadmill.  (Needed a change.)

Friday was a 2.25 mile run/walk outside.  So much harder than the treadmill (obviously).  I'm going to adjust my run/walk intervals accordingly.

Hubby ended up taking a couple days off work -- then the weekend.  He wanted to work on some projects (with me as the assistant).  So I didn't get any running in after Friday.   Saturday was no problem, since I had that scheduled for rest.  I should have run either Sunday or Monday, though, with x-training of some sort on the other day.  When hubby's home it's even hard to get on the computer to update.

My water-drinking goal was good.

No sweets after 8pm -- not so much. Not way-out-of-line eating like often happened before, but still not where I wanted to be. 

Thank you for checking on me, Kailer! 

Official reports:

Thursday:

Supporting quest #3:  Drink 2 bottles of water, minimum (stainless steel bottle that holds 3 cups).  Yes

Friday:

Saturday:

Supporting quest #1: No snacking after 8pm.  No

Supporting quest #2:  2 miles run/walk/bike 6 days a week.  (Yes) Okay, planned rest day

Life Quest:  Stick to my 5K training plan.  (Yes)  Planned rest day

Sunday:

Supporting quest #2:  2 miles run/walk/bike 6 days a week.  No

Life Quest:  Stick to my 5K training plan.  No

Monday:

Supporting quest #2:  2 miles run/walk/bike 6 days a week.  No

Life Quest:  Stick to my 5K training plan.  No

Tonight's plan is to go for a short run with my son and possibly my daughter-in-law, too. 

A very thorough update. Enjoy your run!

Hey there, my meteorological mate. How has the last week or so been going for you? Any chance of an update?

I'm sorry for not checking in more, everyone.  Crazy over here.  Training a new person at work (as well as our busy season starting).... and I'm finding that not only am I having a hard time sticking to plan on the weekends, but I'm having a hard time getting on here (mostly hubby's projects and such).  Time for a plan B of some sort!

Anyway, catching up my progress....

Supporting quest #1: No snacking after 8pm. 

Tue-Wed-Thur: Yes

Fri-Sat-Sun:  Yes

Mon:  Yes

So-o-o-o much better than the mindless eating I was doing before the challenge. 

I generally don't get home from work until close to 8pm.  I eat lunch around 12 then generally don't get a chance to eat until I get home.  My job is on my feet and moving the entire shift, so I'm VERY hungry when I get home.  Too easy to overeat or to eat a supper then keep nibbling.  Plus, I often have one soda with my supper, or a cookie afterward.

I think I've been judging this goal too harshly.  I eventually want to stop eating/drinking the sweets in the evening when I eat this late -- and this is generally what I've been judging the "no" on.

But that's not how I set the challenge up for myself -- I set it as "no snacking" challenge, not "no sweets".  I'm doing very well on "no snacking". That's a huge improvement from before.  I'm going to stop beating myself up over the "no sweets" part for now, and leave that for my next step (for the next challenge).

Supporting quest #2:  2 miles run/walk/bike 6 days a week. 

Tue-Wed-Thur-Fri: Yes

Sat:  No

Sun-Mon:  Yes (No workout on Sunday, but made that my rest day, so an official "yes", but gave Saturday a "no" for the weekend)

Supporting quest #3:  Drink 2 bottles of water a day (minimum). 

Tue-Wed-Thu:  Yes

Fri-Sat:  No

Sun-Mon:  Yes

I've run outside three times since the end of winter (still having lots and lots of rain!!).  Two of those times were really rough.  I'm doing a C25K plan.  I do not have a mobile device for running, but I do have a tablet I can use on the treadmill.  Other than that, when I'm running outside I use an interval timer.

What I've decided to do is back myself up a couple of weeks, raise the incline some more on the treadmill and slow the tread speed down a bit (so I'm doing more of the leg work, and the tread is doing less of it for me).  I'm not explaining it well -- but it's working well.  Backing myself up in the program is just giving my shorter intervals to help with the conditions-transition.  So far, so good.

Strategic alteration of the 5k program soinds like a good idea. I expect it'll make you a stronger runner. How's it been going this week.

Thank you for the support and kind words, you guys -- it really helps!  Even if I haven't posted very often, I keep trying -- and knowing you're here helps a lot (as you already know!).  I think for the next challenge one of my goals should be to post more often!  :D

I think I'm going to change one of my goals -- even this late in the challege.  I find my body really needs that recovery day in between runs.  Rather than beating myself up for not getting 6 days of some type run/bike/walk each week, I'm going to be stay at the 3 my C25K program uses.  I'm just on my feet so much at work, "running" back and forth ..... our busy season is really picking up and we're working short right now (which means I'm "running" even more).  My body is really fighting to adjust and adapt.  It's feeling a lot like I "beat myself up" if I do push for 6 days of formal exercise, or I "beat myself up" (challenge-wise) if I don't.  So right now I'm going to focus on just keeping that 3 day running/training habit going.

All the other goals are on target.

Yesterday was a day off from my 2nd job, so I did a lot of housework, some furniture moving that hubby and I needed to do, and relocating my desk area down to the basement. 

Today I'm working on cooking for the next few days and getting laundry done.

• Like 2

Rest days are important. I remember wanting to run more during my C25K. I skipped forward to harder weeks at one point because I didn't feel the current pace in the program challenged me enough.

In general I think 3 cardio-type exercises per week are a lot. If I'm in the mood for more I mix it up with strength training such as NF beginner body circuit. The the body can recover from one type while I do another kind of training.

Not having rest days feels like ego-training to me as it causes you to not train well. While the body still recovers you're not able to push yourself as hard during that training. That probably makes the training more maintenance than challenge. Yes, my personal theories all of them...

Good work on adjusting to what works for you training wise and life wise.

Hi Thunderstorm, the rest days are essential, I am an experianced runner and I would never run for more than two consequetive days overdoing it leads to dodgy ankles, shin splints and various other nasties.

Good set of goals btw.

It's never to late to be the person you always wanted to be.

The voice in your head telling you that you can't do it is a damn liar.

Endorphins, the best high you can have.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines