• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I am Eve

Mini Challenge #1 - Sense of Hearing

Every day, take 5 or 10 minutes to stop everything you are doing, step outside, quiet your brain from the incessant chatter, and really listen to the sounds that surround you.  Do you hear birds singing?  Is the wind gently blowing through the trees?  A dog barking in the distance?

Close your eyes.  Take deep breaths while you focus on nothing but the sounds you hear.  Try not to let any other worries or thoughts cross your mind during the time you do this.

Eventually, the goal is to incorporate this into your daily schedule just like exercise and diet, because mental heath is just as important!

Good luck!

• Like 2

I stepped outside this afternoon before dinner and all I could hear was the strong winds blowing through the trees and the dried leaves from last fall flitting across the lawn. Also...my cat's incessant meowing because he was so happy to be outside. :)

• Like 1

I did this before class tonight, and I really think it helped me center before the exam.

I got out of the car and walked across the parking lot and then just sat on a bench for a few minutes before entering the building.

Perfect.

• Like 3

I think my favorite sounds are either the chickadees in the early morning or the robins in the early evening.  So beautiful!

Yesterday, I had an epically bad day at work, and when I got home, I tried to calm my nerves by listening to the birds, and instead fell alseep relaxing to the sound of my cat purring right next to me on the couch....I didn't wake up for two hours.  :eek-new:

• Like 2

I did this yesterday after doing my OHP - sat in my hammock and heard a woodpecker!  They used to be some common around here when I was a child, and I don't think I've seen/heard one in a good 5 or 6 years... so that was pretty awesome :)

• Like 2

I biked to pick up my new drivers license, and stopped in the sunshine by the stream.

The sun was warming my face and I also heard woodpeckers - at least two of them.

Those five minutes made my busy day five times better - especially since I was getting stressed and thought "no I do not have the time".

I did!

• Like 2

I've tried doing this a few times so far, in the confines of the computer room, and...meh.

Hum of the computers.

Sound of the TV in the next room.

People talking, sometimes.

Indoors sucks, and is not conducive to relaxation at all -_- I'll do this in the back yard tomorrow, even though it's cold.

• Like 3

I've tried doing this a few times so far, in the confines of the computer room, and...meh.

Hum of the computers.

Sound of the TV in the next room.

People talking, sometimes.

Indoors sucks, and is not conducive to relaxation at all -_- I'll do this in the back yard tomorrow, even though it's cold.

Let us know how it goes tomorrow! :D

I found out this week that the custodian vacuums the halls in such a consistent pattern that I can tell what time it is by listening to which floor he is on. :)

• Like 3

Yesterday I stepped outside.  Hearing the water hit the sidewalk, the rumble of the near constant thunder and the rushing of the wind was fitting.  To stand still in the middle of a storm knowing I can do nothing to change certain things is surprisingly calming.  

• Like 3

Did this today. It's very windy, with a faint smell of something blooming on the wind. The sun was very hot, and my skin was red quickly. Birds chirping, several different kinds, traffic sounds on the main roads outside the neighborhood (3/4 mile away) brilliant blue sky and bright vibrant colors of the trees and grass and houses and some random flowers growing in the bed ("I really need to dig that bed out") ok meditation about nature over. ;)

• Like 1

I did this during my meditation retreat.

Let's say it was very very quiet in my meditation cell. But I could hear the birds singing and occasionally someone leaving his cell.

Everything around me is so loud that I don't even notice most sounds.

Here at work there are always sirens. Beeping trucks, bulldozers, Trains, Dump trucks and so on... They just blend in to a kind of noise you get used to and just review when the ground is shaking...

Very interesting theme!

• Like 2

When I am at home alone, my bedroom becomes something of a meditation cell. The apartments are very quiet overall, and I can make my room pitch dark if I want to. This has been huge today, since the toddler has wrecked my sleep this week.

When I am at home alone, my bedroom becomes something of a meditation cell. The apartments are very quiet overall, and I can make my room pitch dark if I want to. This has been huge today, since the toddler has wrecked my sleep this week.