Greetings from Vulcan!

Greetings from Vulcan!

Not the planet Vulcan. I mean Vulcan, Alberta.

In the before time of the long, ago, I worked at a newspaper. The job was fine, but I was lazy and ate out almost every day. At my peak, I was more than 225 lbs.

A few years ago, during my second stretch at university, I had two extremely hot summers in a row, with very little wind. I spent more than an hour and a half on my bicycle every day, because I love bicycles the way some people love their pets. I love them. A bicycle may look like two wheels held together by not very much at all, but when I sit on one I become absolutely free. During this time, I dropped to 185 lbs at my lightest. After this, I averaged about 190 for a few years, and maintained my awesome activity level.

Over a protracted, but fortunately recently-ended stall in my professional life (I finally squirmed my way into a job using my education!), I made my way up to 215 again. The good news is that since starting my new job in September, I have dropped to a steady 210 without much effort. I can do better.

Now, it isn't the weight thing I'm concerned with changing. I just want my activity level back to the wonderful heights I hit four years ago. You wouldn't think this would be so hard, because I enjoyed it immensely, but it doesn't take a lot of concentrated laziness to forget how much you ever loved moving.

Apart from outdoorsy-stuff, my hobbies include cartooning, writing, reading (my science fiction/fantasy and comic strip/book sections are particularly large), and watching a wide variety of DVDs (including a substantial assortment of recent British shows, and an even more substantial assortment of old cartoons). The only two games I play regularly are Minecraft (I'm an explorer) and the original Starcraft (I'm a smear on the landscape, usually), though SC did involve helping set up a homebrew BnetD server over a VPN.

I'm pretty excited to get started here at Nerd Fitness!

• Like 3

Jothra

i | ii | iii | iv | v | vi | vii | viii

Welcome!

Even if the weight isn't as big of a deal; those lbs put strain on everything you do, overall just feeding to the lazy/procrastination side of ourselves.   It's finally starting to be nice out. I'm DEBATING on getting a bike and trying it out (never learned even though I'm in my 20's).

I still love original starcraft (and diablo1).  I'm trying to see how I can change the resolution to 800x600 so I can play it on my tv but nothing seems to work. :(

Welcome!

Even if the weight isn't as big of a deal; those lbs put strain on everything you do, overall just feeding to the lazy/procrastination side of ourselves.   It's finally starting to be nice out. I'm DEBATING on getting a bike and trying it out (never learned even though I'm in my 20's).

I still love original starcraft (and diablo1).  I'm trying to see how I can change the resolution to 800x600 so I can play it on my tv but nothing seems to work. :(

Hopefully, losing weight will come as a side effect of eating properly and being more active. Experience has shown me that the number on my scale isn't enough to keep me motivated (possibly a problem with my brain being missing).

Running Starcraft at different resolutions is basically the Holy Grail of last-century gaming. I haven't found a way to do it, either.

Jothra

i | ii | iii | iv | v | vi | vii | viii