HENNA, an experiment

So I'm about to stuff some yucky green muck in my hair and I thought I'd share the experience with all of you :P

April 26th

Le tools...

I haven't tried to henna my hair before and with conflicting messages (my mom: it's a mess, you'll hate it and never do it again, ever! vs. hennaforhair: it's easy peachy and you'll never go back to regular dye) I'm thinking, what the hell, let's try it. So I bought a kilogram of pure ground up henna from my local health food & stuff store, mixed 400 g of it with (a lot of) lime juice and strong chamomile tea yesterday and has let it brew over night. (I also added a lot of cinnamon since it should deal with the smell, which is definitely an acquired "taste".)

Oh, and the color will allegedly start out outrageously orange, but then settle after a couple of days, so I'm planning on taking pictures of my hair to document the changes (I'm so curious to see how it'll turn out!)

April 26th

Before (please ignore the greasy state of my hair)

Starting point: pass shoulder length hair that has been chemically dyed about five months ago (judging by my outgrowth), so it's a mix of dull red and dark blond.

Wish me luck :]

Race: Troll | Class: Adventurer | Level: 2
STR 1 | DEX 1 | STA 3 | CON 3 | WIS 3 | CHA 2

Quest: 1st | Current challenge: following a path

"There will be glory!" - Hooded-Warrior

A-buddies: RPG Fanatics

April 26th

Gunk + plastic wrap + towel

Oki doki, that was the first and hopefully messiest part (although I'm a bit nervous about how difficult it's gonna be to get this stuff out of my hair again).
I only used half the bowl, which is probably too little? Well, we'll see. I had planned to use my comb to gently part my hair in sections, but once the first gollop was in, it was impossible to use the comb (it was too sticky), so I resorted to parting my hair as best as I could with my fingers instead. Hopefully I've gotten it down to the scalp all over the head, *crosses fingers*.

So, now I got a couple of hours or more to wait until I'll try to wash it out again. Think I'm gonna play a HOG to pass the time :]

• Like 1

OH I LOVE HENNA!!!

I was just telling my coworker I might go back to it.  I do mine over night and sleep in a plastic bag with a throw away pillow case actually and then indigo in the AM.

My hair looks amazing with henna and indigo.   Good luck with it!!!! 

did you order from hennaforhair?? 

• Like 1

Hi Jo :]

The henna + indigo after makes it black, right? 

Nah, the shipping costs where ridiculous (plus I was worried it might get stopped at customs because it's a "food" item and such). So I bought mine from Helsam, a local health food store, instead. Apparently the henna is locally grown too and since the bag's label mentioned lawsone and all that it seemed okay enough. It definitely colours alright, I got blotches on my skin where I didn't wipe it off quickly enough XD

Well, time to get this mess out of my hair (ended up taking a nap, my head was just so damn heavy, so it's been in for five hours now).

Update! The hair is dry and feeling good :] The colour is actually darker than I expected, but I have no problem with that. And I think I managed to get an even covering (thank gods).

April 26th

April 26th

Shiny shiny orange - I love it!

Also, just to have more to compare with (to see if the colour changes over the next couple of days):

April 26th

April 26th

It's funny how much difference another angle and a bit of distance to the camera makes - odd

PS. Do any of you ladies have experience with dying your eyebrows with henna? I opted not to, since I'm afraid I'll end up with big orange splotches on my face, but they could surely use some colour.

• Like 1

Hi Jo :]

The henna + indigo after makes it black, right? 

Nah, the shipping costs where ridiculous (plus I was worried it might get stopped at customs because it's a "food" item and such). So I bought mine from Helsam, a local health food store, instead. Apparently the henna is locally grown too and since the bag's label mentioned lawsone and all that it seemed okay enough. It definitely colours alright, I got blotches on my skin where I didn't wipe it off quickly enough XD

Well, time to get this mess out of my hair (ended up taking a nap, my head was just so damn heavy, so it's been in for five hours now).

yep- two separate steps- if you want a brutette you do the indigo WITH the henna and just taylor in percentages to whatever "dark" or "light" you want.

Turned out great- mine was a brassy red when I did it (lasted only till I indigoed LOL) but I was shocked- hadn't been a red head in a while. 

I thought henna for hair was like one of the only places to get it- but glad you found another place to get your's sourced.

It's definitely a time consuming- but I feel worth while process. :)  You look great!

• Like 1

I do henna hair! It is ridiculous orange the first few days and then calms down to a nice, natural looking deep red. I get it from my health food store - it's Rainbow brand and it comes in a range of colors with stuff added to most of them but I just buy the one that has only henna. "Persian red" I think is the name of it? And then I toss the directions on the bottle and use lemon juice to mix it. I love the conditioning effects too, it leaves my hair feeling so soft and thick for a little while after.

• Like 1

Bagelyo!

Challenge!

Fitocracy!

Runkeeper!

Level 3 Assassin-y Hobbit

STR 5 DEX 3 STA 2 CON 4 WIS 3 CHA 1

Your hair looks great!

I do henna too, and I love it. It's the only color that doesn't wash out of my hair. I've experimented a bit, and during the winter I sometimes add some red wine to the mix to get a deeper color with a hint of.. well.. burgundy or red wineish color. Mixing coffee in with it also works if you want a brown color. I usually mix the powder with pure lemon juice because it makes it a lot more vibrant than using plain water. I used to get a mix from a drugstore which was just pure henna, but now I use the one Lush offers. I have given my eyebrows a little color by just leaving it on there for a little while before removing it. 

#3 - #4 - #5 - #6 #7 - current

Juggling PvPSquat PvP, HOoRAY

Beautiful Hair color!

Makes me want to try Henna myself.

*ponders*

sent from my phone, please excuse any typos

Saeth - Were-Cat (Ailuranthrope) Adventurer - Level 2

STR - 1 / DEX - 1 / STA - 1 / CON - 2 / WIS - 3 / CHA - 4

Challenges Accepted - Rebel; Adventurer

Accountabilibuddy - EvillePanda

MyFitnessPal

“Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.†
― George Bernard Shaw

Henna is nice for a temporary change :) I get the stuff sold at Whole Foods that has no other ingredients other than henna powder. It's safe to bleach or dye over that stuff if you want to (some henna kits have metals in them, those will melt your hair if processed over).

Your hair looks great

so from what I remember and what I know of it: you cannot bleach out henna- if you are using a product that you can bleach out- it's not real henna.

henna completely stains your hair all the way through- hairdressers HATE it- it takes several rounds of bleach (meaning- more than they are usually willing to do) to lighten it to a shade you can dye if you are going lighter and often times it's still a risky bet. You have to grow it out to get another true color on top. 

so from what I remember and what I know of it: you cannot bleach out henna- if you are using a product that you can bleach out- it's not real henna.

henna completely stains your hair all the way through- hairdressers HATE it- it takes several rounds of bleach (meaning- more than they are usually willing to do) to lighten it to a shade you can dye if you are going lighter and often times it's still a risky bet. You have to grow it out to get another true color on top. 

I don't know what else it would be. It smelled like henna, the box said 100% henna powder. If the color is faded out anyway, I don't think bleaching would be an issue. I think the first time I did it, it had been several months since the henna application before I bleached, so maybe that is why it worked out okay for me.

Hello, hello -

As a Muslim, I can say this is completely safe and awesome. Our elder ladies put it in their hair to cover up the grey.

I love Henna. Wear it every chance I get. Temporary tattoos FTW.

PS: your hair looks awesome.

Level 3 - Half-Elf Warrior, STR - 5 | DEX - 1 | STA - 6 | CON - 5.5 | WIS - 3.5 | CHA - 5

I know where I'm going, and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want. ~  Ali

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

I am a henna artist (body art) and while I haven't done my hair I know quite a few ladies that have and the general consensus is do not do your eyebrows. It works for some and not for others. The most important thing is to make sure you are getting 100% natural henna without any added hair dye (a lot of that boxed stuff with have hair dye in it as well).