Weight loss and self image

Well it gets extremely frustrating because I feel like I still have an enormously long way to go. Or do I? Again I can't seem to tell. Without clothes, I look and feel no different. Even when I look at old pictures, even when I run into people from high school (this one guy's jaw dropped) no matter how many old shirts I try on. I feel like I'm nowhere close to where I want to be. The scale can drop as much as it wants and I won't see a difference. It's been months and nothing has changed. It's been made apparent the best thing to trust is your eyes and pictures but I can't even trust that. 

Been following this thread with some interest.

The first thought I had was that weight loss does not directly lead to better self image. Don't get me wrong - its incredibly important to be physically healthy, and the gains you've made in this area is something to be proud of, and something you should aim to maintain. But I also understand what you mean when say you don't feel any different, because it's only one half of the equation.

How you feel about yourself is not related to much you weigh.

In your original post, you started this weight loss journey because someone told you that if you lost weight you would feel better. To me, the weight loss is not your ultimate goal, so it doesn't surprise me that you don't feel like you're not anywhere closer to where you want to be, despite outwardly changing a lot.

This is the key. When you look at yourself, you're not seeing the outward appearance which has already changed. You're seeing the person you feel you are on the inside. I'm guessing you want to change your inward self. 

By far, that is the harder challenge. The only suggestions I can make is to find something to pursue; education, travel, competition, public speaking. Try to find some sort of activity that will challenge and grow you as a person. There's no magical formula or solution. Each person has to find their own way, but hopefully, with this perspective, you can overcome whatever it is that making you feel this way.

For me, I have always been overweight. I still am. But self-confidence came with accomplishment - not with weight loss, but with challenges: learning a new skill, Running 5km/14km/Half Marathon in under xx minutes. I could be wrong - it wouldn't be the first time. I freely admit I haven't got it all figured out yet. Things change - they always do (even if its just the way you look at it).

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I have seen a lot of people over on MFP struggle with extreme weight loss thinking that that was the source of their uncomfortableness only to realize they were still unhappy once the weight was lost.

Either they don't have the body they thought they were going to have (this happens quiet a bit with people who do cardio/diet only weight loss) OR they simple realize they have self esteem issues that they had previously been blaming on weight and it was really just self esteem issues.

1.) therapy- not for 'crazies' it's for everyone.  And it's useful and safe.   (I hate that there is such a strong stigma with it honestly) 

2.)  Set the scale aside- take progress pictures

3.) buy yourself nice clothes at goal marks- something that really makes you feel like a million bucks

4.) set tangible goals- finishing a 5 K- lifting body weight whatever- something you can sink your teeth into and train and really attach a positive result to. 

In the 4 weeks since coming back from Nepal I think I've put on about 7Kgs.... funny thing is I can see this in my face!  Ha you got to love the brain!

(didn't mean to put that much weight on, I've just gone a bit off message...!)

My Walking blog - I Don't Do Hills

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover