Gluten free - sweet potato biscuits

Lammis

I basically went off of this recipe, but made some changes.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/fluffy-sweet-potato-biscuits-recipe.html

3/4 cup cooked mashed sweet potato (about 1 large sweet potato)
1/3 to 1/2 cup almond milk
1 1/2 cups buckwheat flour, plus more for dusting (I'm sure it would also work with corn flour, spelt flour, or whatever other flours you wanted)
2 tablespoons honey/maple syrup/agave syrup
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small bits (you could totally use whatever fat/oil you wanted)

A few tablespoons of polenta/cornmeal for the pan

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/fluffy-sweet-potato-biscuits-recipe.html?oc=linkback

Step one: 

Microwave potato.

Step two:

Cooked potato and 1/3 c of milk in a food processor, then everything else in a food processor.

Sprinkle the pan with corn flour and drop the batter onto it.  I made 8 pretty big biscuits

Bake, 15 minutes 175C or 350F

Level 3 - Person who doesn't really understand what stats are.  I know, you've explained it...

I never have any special flours around (sorghum, millet, etc.  Buckwheat is eaten all the time here, so it's pretty easy to come by).  Living overseas in a place where celiac is a 'why do foreign people get all of these weird diseases?' question (yes, yes, I know I know...but it has been said to me on more than one occasion) sorghum flour is just not something I can find.  So I get excited when I can use a flour I do have to make something edible.  

I love the GFG site, but it's very rarely I can make anything from it for that reason.  Sigh...

Level 3 - Person who doesn't really understand what stats are.  I know, you've explained it...

Honestly, I heavily substitute her flours which I should have considered before posting.  I use enriched rice flour in place of sorghum, millet, and most of the others; ground almonds in place of cornmeal; and tapioca starch in place of all starches.  What do you have access to?

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Corn, rice, buckwheat and oat are easy.  Glutinous rice flour is a little harder but possible, 

I can get potato and corn starch too but, I feel like it makes everything too powdery.

I'm desperate for a GF baozi (steamed bread).  It's so desperately unfair that my kid gets to chow down on nutritionally negligible pillowy soft breads stuffed with questionable products...but they're SO GOOD.  If I could figure that out I'd be pumped.  I was just thinking I would try and find something from her site that is a steamed bread and try it out. I've seen it made here with corn flour in it, but I think only corn flour wouldn't work well.  

Her substitution guide may help, if you aren't already familiar with it http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.ca/2008/12/baking-cooking-substitutions-for-gluten.html

You could probably manage with rice & oat flours and a starch.  A combination of a flour and starch have always given me a better texture.  I think it's a one part starch to two parts flour (by volume) ratio.  Is that what you were trying when recipes were turning out too powdery?

Can't help you on the steamed buns, sorry.  I miss that sort of thing too.

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Some of the water soluble vitamins may be lost when you drain the boiled sweet potato.  Also, why not?  Welcome to the board by the way :-)

I just very rarely put anything in the microwave. I always use my double boiler/steamer pots for veggies.

Things like pizza pockets are what go in the microwave in my house. 

Make your body the sexiest outfit you own!

Microwaving for many foods is a great way to preserve nutrients in the food as it has a shorter cooking time (although then I'm recooking it in a biscuit, so the point may be moot).   Also, it's a potato, why dirty a pot?  

Also, you can now put tinfoil in the microwave.  I was blown away.  BLOWN.  AWAY.  

The only reason I ever wished I still had a microwave was for white potatoes. I make amazing ones in the oven, but dang if sometimes you just want something in under 5 minutes. Now that you are talking about baked sweet potatoes I'm missing my microwave all over again. Oh well. I don't have  food processor either so these biscuits are out. I'm definitely going to keep them in mind for when I do have one though. :D

Half Elf, 28.6 lbs overweight, average height, voluptuous, low muscle mass, bad ass mother f*cker

Current Challenge  Fourth Challenge Third Challenge Second Challenge First Challenge  My Long List of Goals 

Level 5

STR: 5STA: 4, DEX: 7, CON: 9, WIS: 13CHA: 8

Weight Goal: 2/43.6

1%
1%

â€œAnd the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom†-- Anaïs Nin

Website      Instagram