confused about my body and macros

So I went on IFFYM

Apparently I need to eat 2300 cals to lose weight.

The thing is I barely manage to eat half of this a day and weight is not dropping off me.

Can someone tell me: a) why im not losing weight when im technically deficiting my defecit

B) why cant I eat what my body apparently needs to run optimally?

Don't rely on online calculators, and make sure you know exactly what you're eating. If you're not losing weight, then you're not at a deficit! Could take some time to find what your number is.

• Like 1

You should never eat only 600 calories.  Ever.  If that's your regular amount or occurrence, then there's an issue.  No adult should ever drop below 1200 calories.

Try increasing your calories.  Seriously.  Your body will see the extra energy and probably determine it can burn more.  Staci recently wrote somewhere that she's been cutting for a bit, upped her calories (and kept her workouts the same), and lost 5 pounds pretty quick.  Bodies are weird, and depending on your activity level you might need to eat significantly more than you'd expect.  Document everything, count it, and play with numbers.

• Like 1

Best way to track intake is to use something like MyFitnessPal.  Include anything you use as a sauce or a "sprinkle."  Those things can add up significantly, since everyone has different definitions of what constitutes "a little bit."

As Risen says, do not starve yourself.  It's counterproductive.  Fat loss is a long-term journey, and there will be some really weird things happening on the scale along the way.  Tape measurements are better ways to track your progress, although those will fluctuate a bit as well (we're living systems, fluctuations are the name of the game).

As for why you didn't lose any weight on the days you ate 600 calories, my thoughts are 1) was it really 600 calories? 2) how controlled was your weighing? 3) a day here and there of 600 calories won't be enough to shed fat or cause long-term changes.

Probably a good rule of thumb is take your bodyweight, multiply it by 14, and eat a 200-500 calories below that number.  That'll put you in the right ballpark that you can tweak further!

• Like 1

There have been days ive eaten like 600 calories and lost nothings. Hows that work?

Also do you know a good way to figure out ones intake?

You can't measure weight loss day to day.

Weigh yourself once/week or even better, once/month. Do it at the same time of day, in the same "state" (hydration, food, elimination, clothes). Lots of people do first thing in the morning, after a trip to the restroom and before breakfast.

Also, use other methods of tracking: fit of your clothes, measurements of your chest/waist/hips.

Also, most people really suck at counting calories. Track everything you eat. Measure and/or weigh your food and add up all your calories. If the bag says a serving is 4 oz, weigh what you're eating to make sure. Most packages come with more than what's advertised on the package. Don't forget sauces, oil for cooking, or the fries you snatched off your friend's plate at lunch. 

If 2300 should put you in a deficit and you were ACTUALLY eating 1200 calories/day, the weight would be falling off you. If you're like 90% of people with this same problem, you aren't tracking your intake very well.

• Like 1

Slyph, I measure every week. The cals are all measured, even sauce. When I say 600 on some days, I mean in addition to my deficit. I.E monday and wednesday 600 cals and the rest at my proper deficit but mos times barely passing 1200 cal

Jprev with the 14x multiply, in pounds or kilos?

Oh and guys I dont feel like im starving myself. I literally just feel full.

If this means my metabolism is just slow do I just force feed more food or?

Also im extremely active. Karate 2x a week, tae kwon do 2x a week, boxing 2x a week and strength training 4-5x a week.

Any advice is appreciated!

When I say 600 on some days, I mean in addition to my deficit. I.E monday and wednesday 600 cals and the rest at my proper deficit but mos times barely passing 1200 cal

I don't really know what this means.

Are you "eating back" calories for your activity and only counting those? If so, don't.

When your calculations say you need 2300 calories, then that's what you need. 2300 total calories for the day. Not 2300 calories, plus the 500 you think you burned doing whatever activity. Just 2300 calories for the day that go into your mouth. Truly counting the number of calories burned by an activity is nearly impossible and exquisitely individual. Instead, use whatever 'activity factor' is appropriate for you when calculating your total calories and macros and eat that number of calories for a few weeks (no subtracting out for exercise, or eating back extra calories). Then check your progress. If you've gained or stayed the same (and you are trying to lose) drop your daily intake by ~200 calories (so 2100 in this example) and do that for a couple more weeks.

If I've misunderstood you, I'm sorry. Sometimes these conversations get confusing via the internet.

Since you're measuring everything, can you post up a sample of your daily diet?

Nah man I dont eat back what I burn haha, that would be way too confusing since its pretty damn hard to accurately measure what you burn from a work out..

Diet: breakfast = liquid egg whites equal to 33g protein plus 1 whole egg , a tomato, 10ml olive oil, spinach leaves

And I make a smoothie with 250ml almond milk, half a spoon of cinnamon and a blended banana

2nd meal I try to get 100-150g chicken breast with just herbs on it because counting sauce calories is annoying. Again 10ml of olive oil. I usually add 100g of broccoli to this.

3rd meal is generally my post work out. 40g protein worth of whey with 40ml coconut milk and 15m chia seed oil

( sometimes I have this for breakfast if im in a rush, in which case I have something like meal 2 for my post work out with sweet potato)

I always plan to eat 6 meals like this but lately ive been stuck at about meal 3 cos I just cant eat more.

I try to eat a high starch meal for dinner because I have a sleeping issue and for some reason starch meals make me sleepy ( except sweet potato )

For carbs I only ever eat basmati, sweet potato or quinoa. ( and veg and maybe 1 banana and 3 strawberries as seen in breakfast)

Ultimately trying to aim for 40g protein a meal. Only eating carbs at breakfast, pwo and dinner. ( veg at all meals though so I guess im eating carbs every meal )

Im 6'2 and 115 kilos with my goal weight being something like 86-90 kilos.

Oh and what I mean is you have 7 days a week. I aim to hit my defecit as normal (2300 cals) 5 of those days. I usually fail and hit 1200-1500

On extra fail days I only hit as low 600 which is usually up to twice a week

Does that make sense?

Alrighty... as a rough estimate:

liquid egg whites--to get 33 g of protein from these, you need ~1 1/4 cup: 150 cals
1 egg: 70 cals
1 tomato: 16 cals
10 ml olive oil: 80 cals
250 ml almond milk: 30 cals
Spinach: 10 cals
1 banana: 100 cals
Breakfast: 456 cals

125 g Chicken: 205 cals
10 ml olive oil: 80 cals
100g broccoli: 30 cals
Meal 2: 315 cals

Whey: variable, but ~200 cals
40 ml coconut milk: 80 cals
chia seed oil: 20 cals
Meal 3: 300 cals

Where's dinner on this list (you mentioned eating a high carb dinner)? Is this everything you eat in a day? No snacks? No pretzels as you watch TV? No pieces of candy from a coworker's desk? No beverages?

Other questions:

How long have you been doing this?

You're currently 115 kg. Is this where you started? Any weight lost at all yet?

Do you ever eat dairy, red meat, bacon, bread, cheese, rice?

How old are you?

What's your activity level, on average?

All meals have 40g protein in them. I never make it past 4th meal which is dinner. Its a combination of not having the time due to when I wake up 8-9 am to going to bed and just plain lack of hunger.

Tonight I had 100g of quinoa (raw measure) and 150g chicken breast. And red meat maybe once a week. Only dairy I eat is eggs.

I dont eat cheese, bread , cows milk, soy,

I was 120 when I was a slob doing nothing and eating junk 24/7 which was like a year ago

As stated above. Karate 2x a week. Tae kwon do 2x a week. Boxing twice a week. Strength training 4x a week and HIIT 2x a week. Im 24 in august.

Im 6'2 and 115 kilos with my goal weight being something like 86-90 kilos.

You're not reaching your goal because, as you admitted on another topic, you're essentially pigging out 2 days a week. Eating even as low as 1200 calories for five days a week, and then stuffing your stomach the other two days of the week, is just spinning your wheels.

• Like 2

That was ages ago I havent done that for months.

The problem is the last few months ive been yoyoing. The 5 days of no carb leading to extreme weight loss ( as much as 3 to 4 kilos ) followed by regaining all of it because im so ravenous my two carb up days turn into cheat days and I just eat mcdonalds, chocolate, pancakes, you name it. Then back to square one.

Something's not adding up.

• Like 3

Yeah the one thing adding up is you not reading properly and thinking trying to pick apart what people say is actually important.

Either provide advice or kindly stfu.

The last time I ate like that was 2 and a half months ago which if isnt clearly stated in both my opening comment or the one you quoted ( the last few months may not specifically indicate 2.5 but I think the word few passes as a means of explaining)

To reiterate: up until 2.5 months ago I ate under 20g carb, 5 days a week, aimed for ketosis, went for a 2 day refeed, ending up binging.

Now for 2 months straight I eat up to 120g carb a day and have a single cheat meal on the weekend rather than "refeeds"

Things in this thread are just not adding up. You are not telling us something or are just lying to yourself.

There is no such thing as a special snowflake that doesn't drop weight fast at the intakes you are claiming, the only people even close are those with full blown EDs that have had MAJOR adaptation to it; there is no mistaking it if this is the case as your hair falls out, you have no functioning reproductive system, you have to live in winter wear even in the heat, etc..

If you truly are being honest I suggest calling your local university so that the researchers there can study you.

You're taller/heavier than I am and I'd literally lose 4-5 lbs a week on those intakes, but couldn't sustain it anymore than 2-3 weeks tops before the hormonal issues would be unbearable.

How don't they make sense? I've corrected hazard. I suggest you read better.

Well I'm not sure which intakes you are speaking of, the ketosis approach i tried or what im doing now which is a more balanced diet.

In the ketosis, the hormonal issues were unbearable, couldn't sustain it past 9 days max.

Lol exactly you are lighter than i am, your metabolism is faster, the lower your body fat, the faster you chew up fat. This is just common knowledge, comparing yourself to me when you look 8-12% bodyfat at least when im probably over 25 is pointless.

I didn't come here to ask people to state 'oh maybe you arent counting calories properly' or 'omg im going to try and find flaws in your words by comparing two status's' I came here for some solid advice.

Quit trying to take every opportunity to assert some sort of fitness knowledge superiority over me and either give advice or simply shut up.

I didn't come here to ask people to state 'oh maybe you arent counting calories properly' or 'omg im going to try and find flaws in your words by comparing two status's' I came here for some solid advice.

Quit trying to take every opportunity to assert some sort of fitness knowledge superiority over me and either give advice or simply shut up.

Look, you are here claiming that you always are at least eating the prescribed amount for a deficit (2300 cals), but most days you barely take in 1200 cals, some days its as low as 600 cals, yet you are losing no weight.

You are estimating your intake wrong. There is no other possible explanation, period. You're not going to get any solid advice other than that. I'm not sure what you expect, that intake is low enough that little girls will drop weight easy yet you're 6'2" 250ish, doing martial arts 6x a week AND strength training 4-5x a week. Come on man, you realize how ridiculous this looks, right?

The bigger you are, the higher your metabolism.

Look, you are here claiming that you always are at least eating the prescribed amount for a deficit (2300 cals), but most days you barely take in 1200 cals, some days its as low as 600 cals, yet you are losing no weight.

You are estimating your intake wrong. There is no other possible explanation, period. You're not going to get any solid advice other than that. I'm not sure what you expect, that intake is low enough that little girls will drop weight easy yet you're 6'2" 250ish, doing martial arts 6x a week AND strength training 4-5x a week. Come on man, you realize how ridiculous this looks, right?

The bigger you are, the higher your metabolism.

thats hilarious im estimating wrong since i am basing it of all the macro nutrient label charts. Except for veg which i base the average of seperate calculators and even if i had the veg side wrong, they are so low in cal it'd be so negligible considering im not htting my macros in the first place.

The bigger you are muscle-wise maybe, but fat burns fuck all calories. The more lean MUSCLE MASS you have the more you burn.

The bigger you are muscle-wise maybe, but fat burns fuck all calories. The more lean MUSCLE MASS you have the more you burn.

Don't forget, there are a few things that go into your TDEE.  Of two people weighing the same, the person with more muscle will have a greater BMR, but both people are still moving some weight around.  Physically moving a heavy body, even if the heaviness is mostly due to fat, still takes some calories, and that shows up under TEA and NEAT.  So just because fat requires fewer calories to sustain, it doesn't mean the overall TDEE is much lower.  In fact, muscle mass itself (specifically separate from other lean body mass, such as organs) only contributes to about 25% of BMR (and the differences between two people won't be so large), and BMR contributes to about 60-75% of TDEE.  So the leaner person will have a higher BMR and probably higher TDEE, but both people will still burn more calories than someone with much less overall mass.